• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe banned from PSN for hate speech

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm surprised they had the balls to do it.
Must of been some high fives at the PSN office for the dude that banned the creator of God of War.
But it's 2021 & nothing surprises me anymore.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Whether you resent it or not, this PC miasma (I prefer to think about it in those terms cos I don't really like talking about it as though it's some cabal - but the effects clearly exist) basically takes your good intentions and uses them against you.

I certainly resent it on your behalf.

You're very obviously a credible "ally" to this just movement - IMO it's outrageously unreasonable of the people you support to demand a power of veto over that reality, which effectively amounts to a redefinition of language itself (ie "ally" has an established meaning in English). Do you not see the central point is that an open-minded, loving, generous approach to some minority or other should be met in kind?

And obviously not wanting to be controlled by intolerant fuckwits makes me insecure about my freedom: that's virtually explicit in the complaint!
I'm not being controlled tho. I don't HAVE to not say ally; I don't HAVE to respect people's pronouns. I don't HAVE to refrain from hate speech (as long as it does not incite violence). I choose to do so because the value and kindness of doing so has been explained to me (and by people who are oppressed and/or suffer for simply being who they are, no less). The right leaning folks have this irrational fear about being controlled. I get the RATIONAL fear of that, we should always be guarded to protect our freedoms. But as of late the right have taken this rational fear and shot it full of steroids to scare people into voting the way they desire.

Nickolaidas

I'm not being controlled tho. I don't HAVE to not say ally; I don't HAVE to respect people's pronouns. I don't HAVE to refrain from hate speech (as long as it does not incite violence). I choose to do so because the value and kindness of doing so has been explained to me (and by people who are oppressed and/or suffer for simply being who they are, no less). The right leaning folks have this irrational fear about being controlled. I get the RATIONAL fear of that, we should always be guarded to protect our freedoms. But as of late the right have taken this rational fear and shot it full of steroids to scare people into voting the way they desire.
So you think you got what you rightfully deserved?

Hunnybun

I totally agree that the right can get a bit hysterical about this stuff, and often try to convince myself that it's largely confined to online or Twitter or whatever.

But I find it harder and harder to convince myself the last few months. More and more of the people in their 20s I meet now seem to parrot this stuff unquestioningly.

I don't tend to worry about much at all tbh - I'm mega liberal in pretty much every respect - but I do get angry when I see people being intolerant towards others, and it seems to me that the authoritarians are accruing a bit more power than is ideal right now. And that's a problem whether it comes from the PC left or the right as a reaction against it.

reksveks

I know politics is a no-no, the republicans love their culture war crap (some on the left are stupid for giving them ammo) for voting because they have no real policies apart from reducing the deficit which they never seem to be able to do but moving on.

Dude this is a PG game. The fact that you got banned for a week shouldn't have happened and they should have just removed the vid but it's more than likely somebody's parent reported it because it was trending on the more info section of the game with a huge "Lesbian Lombax! Yep".

I think you are just seeing bad systems not in terms of intent but just flexibility.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

They didn't watch it, probably just saw the thumbnail and didn't like homosexual references used on a game aimed towards kids/everyone.

Justified it by saying it was Jaffe hate speeching, but it's actually a business move to please potential complaints from homophobic parents.

Tschumi

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

To be honest, watching a bit of his video, his reason for making a video calling her a lesbian was a narrow interpretation of her turning down pirate robot ass. I mean maybe she just digs lombaxes. So, yeah, it's a stupid video. Don't care about the guy though..

Nickolaidas

Yeah, my bad. Watched the video and it's clear what David's stance is on the matter. This is literally a 'walking on eggshells' era that we are entering, and the fact that you can be Thanos'd in a blink is really concerning.

Birdo

Banned
Can someone who played the game explain the context that clip where the robot says "How white it is". It's really odd.

nush

Can someone who played the game explain the context that clip where the robot says "How white it is". It's really odd.

There's a line of thinking that tech companies are predominantly full of white employees.

cormack12

Gold Member
"Uptight muthafuckas" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I love it when people speak from the heart man. So funny and genuine. Obviously someone has watched it, got assmad and shared it so it became 'trending'. It's probably been mass reported by the internet mob squad. Let's face it jaffe cake you aren't exactly liked by the reeee crowd and that brand is on you forever now mate. Sony will take the easy way out and just block it because the risk just isn't worth it. Your own allies etc. don't even come to your defence, so why would a corporation? There are no cons to taking it down except you getting indignant and the reeee crowd celebrating a win by deliberately twisting your words.

In short, just be content with what you put out

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
And don't give that sort of power to microsoft. Don't ever accept any walled gardens.

You people already fucked up decades ago with steam, let's not make that mistake again.

Play on Linux.

Lutris + Proton and is super capable.

Reactions: Fuz

Withnail

For making a joke about lesbians? Isn’t one of the tenets of humour that you can poke fun of anything? We’re getting to the point where you can’t make a joke about any race (apart from white people) or any minority (gaysexuals, religious people, disabled people).

You can make a joke about anything you like, just don't expect a multi-national corporation to publish it for you.

Platforms like PSN and XBL will start to suffer as backlash against this type of thing, it’s only a matter of time.

You should be able to make jokes about whoever and whatever you like as long as it’s not done in an obviously derogatory or purely hateful way.

For example, how does a non-binary samurai kill? They/him. Badum tshhhh. You’re welcome.

Sometimes I get it right, other times I don't. And when I don't, I try my best to make it right/apologize if I have offended. Try apathy, it works.
tl;dr- better to die a free man than live a long life as a slave.

So you're free as long as you don't offend anyone?

The fact that you've been unjustly banned for making a non-derogatory lesbian joke should give you reason for concern. It doesn't matter if you can just make a new account, an injustice has been committed, "hate-speech" rules have been applied wrongly and comedic expression has been stifled. Your account is of second concern to the draconian application of these rules.

Apathy has never ever helped anyone and you obviously cared enough to upload a 12 minute long video rant about it. Those who abuse these rules to bring down the boot on other people certainly do not practice apathy, on the contrary!

I'm not LGBT. My brother is, my son is. And this is what they tell me. And so I go, 'Cool- I'm here to help and if that's how the community likes to frame things, good on me. I'm not being stalked and harassed and killed by people for my gender or for who I like to fuck, so I'll play a medic or other support character to your cause and you just tell me what you need.'

Despite being a supporter of your queer son and brother, you've been banned for spreading hate against sexual minorities. Does that not make you think? Where do you draw the line?

Being a supporter does not mean degrading yourself to an uncritical follower, which is exactly what being an "ally" is all about nowadays. No human being deserves to be degraded to a "shut up and listen" ideological serf. You can be supportive of something while also remaining critical of certain unjust aspects. One does not exclude the other and I think that this "all or nothing" attitude is largely detrimental to the acceptance of LGBTQ minorities.

Making lesbian jokes does not imply that you hate queers. The unnuanced conflation of these differences and the ruthless misapplication of these "hate-speech" rules are causing great damage to the general acceptance of queer people. As if gays were unable to make the difference between a harmless joke and rhetorical discrimination.

In that regard, context matters and your unjustified ban is nothing to simply gloss over. The people who are here to defend your right to express yourself do not deserve to be insulted. You should be more worried about the social justice vultures that are circling above your head right now, lest you be declared persona non grata per social media decree.

Last edited:

Outlier

I don't pander.

Because I don't care about the outcome.

I say what I believe, I keep an open mind to other people's ideas (and the fact that their ideas could change my ideas), and I call it like I see it. Sometimes I get it right, other times I don't. And when I don't, I try my best to make it right/apologize if I have offended.

But the whole 'that's what you get' is sort of part of the very problem a lot of y'all seem to be having with the far left. Try apathy, it works. I don't give a FUCK that Sony banned me. If I really want to play more PS games online and I lose my account, I'll make a new one. Or I'll go support a company who doesn't have such crazy ways. Or I'll start my own. The only way the horrid far right or horrid far left have power over you is if you start to give a fuck about what they say or do.

tl;dr- better to die a free man than live a long life as a slave.

Seems Sony is pandering to the small percenters. The vast majority of players wouldn't care or even have heard about what you said.

Why Sony would care about what you said is even dumber.

People need to learn that if you can't help each other, can't live together, and can't respect each other, then peacefully go your separate ways.

Nickolaidas

The fact that you've been unjustly banned for making a non-derogatory lesbian joke should give you reason for concern. It doesn't matter if you can just make a new account, an injustice has been committed, "hate-speech" rules have been applied wrongly and comedic expression has been stifled. Your account is of second concern to the draconian application of these rules.

Apathy has never ever helped anyone and you obviously cared enough to upload a 12 minute long video rant about it. Those who abuse these rules to bring down the boot on other people certainly do not practice apathy, on the contrary!

Despite being a supporter of your queer son and brother, you've been banned for spreading hate against sexual minorities. Does that not make you think? Where do you draw the line?

Being a supporter does not mean degrading yourself to an uncritical follower, which is exactly what being an "ally" is all about nowadays. No human being deserves to be degraded to a "shut up and listen" ideological serf. You can be supportive of something while also remaining critical of certain unjust aspects. One does not exclude the other and I think that this "all or nothing" attitude is largely detrimental to the acceptance of LGBTQ minorities.

Making lesbian jokes does not imply that you hate queers. The unnuanced conflation of these differences and the ruthless misapplication of these "hate-speech" rules are causing great damage to the general acceptance of queer people. As if gays were unable to make the difference between a harmless joke and rhetorical discrimination.

In that regard, context matters and your unjustified ban is nothing to simply gloss over. The people who are here to defend your right to express yourself do not deserve to be insulted. You should be more worried about the social justice vultures that are circling above your head right now, lest you be declared persona non grata per social media decree.
I can't imagine Mel Brooks making Blazing Saddles today. They would've burned him in the stake or something.

ZywyPL

Banned
You people already fucked up decades ago with steam, let's not make that mistake again.

How many people complain about Steam tho? Most if not all love it, not without reasons. You can have the same type of service, the same concept, but who and how runs it makes all the difference. Recent CP2077 and refunds being an example, where every store out there didn't have any issue, except Sony. The whole cross-gen policy. And so on. It's been like that in the past years (with that awful #4theplayers campaign), whenever anyone is doing something that seems simple, obvious, logical, it's always Sony that has some problem following suit, actually going the opposite route.

But it's not without a reason tho, Sony is slowly (but successfully, I give them that) copying Apple's model, where they're creating this ecosystem closed behind an iron curtain, which you either (blindly) love because you feel it's some sort of a premium brand/experience, or you want to stay away from it as far as possible because you know you'll have to dance how they play. At current pace, when PS6 launches it'll be at least 599$ with no controller and HDMI cable in the box, and their fanatics will defend them for it, claiming stuff like "well obviously, I already have a DS, even two, and you can't improve perfection, why would I need 3rd controller for?", "it's 2030, who doesn't have an HDMI cable at home lol" etc.

So please, don't compare Steam that's been there for ages and it THE example to follow, to those scums from Sony, it's not the same league, not even the same game.

Mattyp

Gold Member
So I can’t be fucked watching the video, he did upload the videos with said ‘hate speech’ directly from his psn account right?

Hunnybun

Wow, fucking excellent post.

nush

Oh, it was actually about race? I thought maybe it was a pun about everything being the colour white or something.

Jesus, I never expected Sony to let racist shit in their games, but here were are, I guess 🤷‍♂️

yeah that's the plausible denial if they get called out on the social commentary.

Mess

For making a joke about lesbians? Isn’t one of the tenets of humour that you can poke fun of anything? We’re getting to the point where you can’t make a joke about any race (apart from white people) or any minority (gaysexuals, religious people, disabled people).

That Rowan Atkinson speech was brilliant, thanks for this. Too bad things seems to have gotten worse since.

yurinka

It is moronic and plain stupid to ban David Jaffe for homophobia and white supremacism, doesn't make sense at all. Anybody who watched his videos knows he's antiracist and supports LGTB.

I think that even the most retardedly woke human mod will lift the ban if davidjaffe davidjaffe contacts them. I think it must have happened due to some automatic algorythm or a few sjw resetera mods trying to bully him.

This means you aren't free.

If you post something as innocent as 'I like pineapple and ham pizza' a massive mob of 'offended' people could report you for that, some of them offended vegans and the other ones because you put pineapple on pizza. There's nothing wrong on putting ham or pineapple on a pizza and you should be free to say you like that.

The problem is not you saying that, the problem is them getting offended and censoring you. If it's really an issue for them (spoiler: it isn't, they are just bullying and virtua signalling to be more accepted/appreciated by their tribe), they should visit a mental health professional (which should be free for everybody btw) instead of destroying free speech allowing to say only what the self proclaimed offended ones.

I understand to ban real hate, people asking for violence against certain groups, like people of certain skin colors (whites too), sexual preferences (hetero too), etc. But as you mention, stuff like unharmful jokes and commentary should be allowed.

Last edited:
It’s a children’s game and you used sensitive “lesbian” word. It got into trending and someone complained. My guess is that was the trigger. Oh, and you‘re Sony’s outcast so it was easy picking.

But man, what an irony, creator of arguably their most famous franchise gets banned by the company itself. Any other examples where person that was flying so high in this industry came crashing down so hard by becoming some low-view obscure youtuber?

Top Bottom