• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe banned from PSN for hate speech

It is moronic and plain stupid to ban David Jaffe for homophobia and white supremacism, doesn't make sense at all. Anybody who watched his videos knows he's antiracist and supports LGTB.

I think that even the most retardedly woke human mod will lift the ban if davidjaffe davidjaffe contacts them. I think it must have happened due to some automatic algorythm or a few sjw resetera mods trying to bully him.

This means you aren't free.

If you post something as innocent as 'I like pineapple and ham pizza' a massive mob of 'offended' people could report you for that, some of them offended vegans and the other ones because you put pineapple on pizza. There's nothing wrong on putting ham or pineapple on a pizza and you should be free to say you like that.

The problem is not you saying that, the problem is them getting offended and censoring you. If it's really an issue for them (spoiler: it isn't, they are just bullying and virtua signalling to be more accepted/appreciated by their tribe), they should visit a mental health professional (which should be free for everybody btw) instead of destroying free speech allowing to say only what the self proclaimed offended ones.

I understand to ban real hate, people asking for violence against certain groups, like people of certain skin colors (whites too), sexual preferences (hetero too), etc. But as you mention, stuff like unharmful jokes and commentary should be allowed.
But anti racist is racist so I guess they were right.

Rudius

The society we inhabit, with all the comforts we enjoy, was established, in a great part, on the principle of freedom of speech. That means you don't have to agree with everything, but you allow everyone to speak and then, using your own freedom of speech, try to refute or corroborate what they are saying. Then you allow other to try to refute or corroborate you.

Without that we will get a world that combine the worst aspects of the past with the much increased potential for inflicting pain and suffering created by the advancements of technology.

yurinka

But anti racist is racist so I guess they were right.
When I say antiracist I mean to be against discriminating or hating people because of their skin color, and this includes hating white people. The real antiracism.

Not retarded racist 'antiracist' sjw activists who hate white people, ask to discriminate white people, say that everyone is racist, etc.

Same goes with being against sexism, that is good for me if also includes to fight sexism and hate against males, which is what many retarded 'feminist' activists and politicians spread.

And the same with LGTB, it's ok for me to don't discriminate and hate them but also to don't discriminate and hate hetero and cis people.

did he really get banned for saying a FICTIONAL VIDEO GAME CHARACTER is a lesbian? lmao.
Yes, even more: a fictional video game character that is a non-human alien furry.

Last edited:

Hydelol

Banned
Am I remembering it wrongly or did David make a video months ago how he is a white racist male or something like that?

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Bit weird to take animal characters from a kids game and talk about their sexual preferences imho

;)

Last edited:
davidjaffe davidjaffe

The subject matter and validity of the banning aside, this is one example of something I despise, which is a company deciding to ban a person for subjectively breaking their TOS (which are almost never explained with specifics), and further more banning them from aspects of service that have NOTHING to do with the alleged offense.

Should they ban you from your videos appearing in the video feed on the console itself? Perhaps.
But aren't you also banned from: party chat, online play, digital purchases, etc?

I remember a while back google banning people from their e-mail accounts because they spammed emotes in a you tube stream after the streamer asked them to do so for the purposes of voting on what he should do next. It's outrageous how much control companies think they should have over their customers.

Last edited:

mejin

Bit weird to take animal characters from a kids game and talk about their sexual preferences imho

Yep. Stupid things we talk about between friends, but when we go public....there is time and place for this kind of shit.

It's better he doesn't make videos about nintendo games He would've been in jail by now haha

Reactions: MrS

Nickolaidas

davidjaffe davidjaffe

The subject matter and validity of the banning aside, this is one example of something I despise, which is a company deciding to ban a person for subjectively breaking their TOS (which are almost never explained with specifics), and further more banning them from aspects of service that have NOTHING to do with the alleged offense.

Should they ban you from your videos appearing in the video feed on the console itself? Perhaps.
But aren't you also banned from: party chat, online play, digital purchases, etc?

I remember a while back google banning people from their e-mail accounts because they spammed emotes in a you tube stream after the streamer asked them to do so for the purposes of voting on what he should do next. It's outrageous how much control companies think they should have over their customers.
Pretty sure all that stuff is mentioned in the terms of service we always ignore and gloss over. Serves us right.

SaucyJack

Pretty sure all that stuff is mentioned in the terms of service we always ignore and gloss over. Serves us right.

There’s a reasonable expectation from customers that the service provider acts reasonably.

Sony has not in this case. Hate speech is a big accusation but watching the video itself anything said is a million miles away from that. A flippant comment that a couple of lines of dialogue could hint at Rivet being a Lesbian. So what? What’s hateful about it?

smh

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

The thing is its not the company per se, its overzealous and unreasonably mercurial judgements being meted out either algorithmically or via some nameless, faceless petty bureaucrat on their behalf.

Its actually right and proper for a company to want to restrict actual hate speech; I doubt anyone would disagree with wanting to suspend the accounts of the worst of the worst.

The problem is this hair-trigger sensitivity and the lack of recourse and transparency in the decision making process.

Above all else, the question that needs to be asked is how is this sort of heavy-handed application helpful? Is it on balance doing more harm than good?

Last edited:
OK clever people of the GAFs, please explain to me what economic incentive the company Sony has to censor their users like this? Is there any rational explanation for this happening except the pursuit of an ideological agenda?

reksveks

OK clever people of the GAFs, please explain to me what economic incentive the company Sony has to censor their users like this? Is there any rational explanation for this happening except the pursuit of an ideological agenda?
By creating a family friendly environment or perception of a family friendly environment, then you can more easily sell the console/platform to parents.

You also don't need to spend time fire fighting controversies.

P.s as I mentioned, I think this was the only solution that they had at the moment to remove that thumbnail/video from the trending feed.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
There’s a reasonable expectation from customers that the service provider acts reasonably.

Sony has not in this case. Hate speech is a big accusation but watching the video itself anything said is a million miles away from that. A flippant comment that a couple of lines of dialogue could hint at Rivet being a Lesbian. So what? What’s hateful about it?

smh
Honestly, I thought pro-gay gaming fans did this kind of thing all the time and constantly speculated that characters were gay when they weren't because they hoped they were. They ship about that kind of thing constantly, bring it up to the writers at Comic-Con and on twitter and constantly push theories about this kind of thing.

The exact same comments coming from a different person would probably be seen entirely differently.

DaGwaphics

Was the video on PSN or YT? Politics aside, doesn't this seem like a major overstep? That a video game company is looking at what you are doing outside of their platform and banning you for that. I can see it if it was occurring during online play on PSN, but in his YT videos? Damn.

Last edited:

reksveks

Politics aside, doesn't this seem like a major overstep? That a video game company is looking at what you are doing outside of their platform and banning you for that. I can see it if it was occurring during online play on PSN, but in his YT videos? Damn.
It wasn't only in YT, it was posted via the PS5 so it was in that 'service'

Last edited:

ManaByte

Politics aside, doesn't this seem like a major overstep? That a video game company is looking at what you are doing outside of their platform and banning you for that. I can see it if it was occurring during online play on PSN, but in his YT videos? Damn.
I believe it's because the video was uploaded to YouTube via PSN and showed up in the trending section for Rift Apart.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Its why i stayed from politics or whatever shit people claim. People are dumb. They only care what other people say, and not what they do.

As Micheal Scott said,
The Office Reaction GIF by My4

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As per video…Jaffe has been 1st strike banned from psn for producing a couple of videos.

Seemingly Jaffe was under the illusion that it’s ok to make jokes related to the protected LGBT class by making a Lesbian joke about Ratchet and Clank.

The other potential infringement is making light of white supremacy, again in a Ratchet & Clank context during a time when the biggest threat to America as stated by the President - being White Supremacy!

This is 2021 Jaffe, not the 80’s!!! Common Man!!!

K94l4tg.jpg

JustN82

Neo Member
I can understand everyone's perspective that this was a bit extreme on Sony's end. I also think it is tiring that our society cancels anybody that mistakenly says something out of context. Gay jokes though I don't know. Hearing gay jokes while growing up certainly has changed who I am as a person and I'm not sure if that is for the better. It made it much tougher coming out and still makes it a struggle at times. So I'm on the fence about this issue because I hate that we immediately think canceling someone is the right thing to do but I think there is real harm done to people sometimes that is easily overlooked.

reksveks

And they couldn't just block his account from the trending videos section? 🤷‍♂️
A company whom properly thought about delivering UGC properly maybe would have built that flexibility into the platform in terms of creating the right permissions but I don't have faith in Sony on that front.

Don't trust any of the three console manufacturers.

SkylineRKR

davidjaffe davidjaffe

Its ridiculous. When you buy a console and a few games, and you say something wrong you might end up with a ban. And some games might end up not even booting because they require you to be signed in. This is just stupid. I think its the same with Oculus, get banned from FB and lose access to your VR shit.

When you buy a SNES with some carts, you can always play those games no matter how you behave online. See how much control these companies managed to get over their consumers over the past decades.

DaGwaphics

A company whom properly thought about delivering UGC properly maybe would have built that flexibility into the platform in terms of creating the right permissions but I don't have faith in Sony on that front.

Don't trust any of the three console manufacturers.

I understand big corporations being extremely PC, that's just a basic part of capitalism. But, you'd think that would make them more likely put systems in place to police anything user generated, rather than less. Full account bans will certainly result in more headlines regarding the issue rather than less. A good shadow ban on UGC would probably have gone unnoticed.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
They can ban your PSN account for posting a video on another platform (Youtube)? Wouldn't it make more sense to just block videos from that person from showing in PSN feeds and moving on with life.

Last edited:
1) stay off social media
2) keep your thoughts to yourself
3) if you use streaming websites to promote yourself there will be backlash no matter what, it's the downside of the beast

Those that need attention will one day offend the easily offended and cause things like this.

ps...I do love Facebook for showing me who is fucked up out of the friends list. And please stop posting pictures of your kids and cooking recipes, nobody cares.

Sure, but you have to remember that these things only empower a company legally, rather than ethically. Paying customers should not expect poor service just because a company legally can mistreat you.

1) stay off social media
2) keep your thoughts to yourself
3) if you use streaming websites to promote yourself there will be backlash no matter what, it's the downside of the beast

Those that need attention will one day offend the easily offended and cause things like this.

ps...I do love Facebook for showing me who is fucked up out of the friends list. And please stop posting pictures of your kids and cooking recipes, nobody cares.

What I don’t get is people telling someone how much they love them when they are likely in the room next to them.

They eat their own. It's a sad state of affairs in the direction free speech is going. People only CLAIM to want free speech, but what they really want is free speech that agrees with them.

But as the classically great poet Fred Durst once said, "When the good comes to bad, the bad comes to good. But I'ma live my life like I should (like I should)."

You can't have it both ways. If you support free speech you are supporting the right for people to say insane and stupid shit. People forget that you don't have to listen to somebody. In today's world, it's easier than ever to ignore people. ESPECIALLY on an online platform. It always boils down to, "I don't like what you are saying, buy I support your right to say it." for me.

I tend to lean very heavily into free speech, doesn't mean I support hate speech. davidjaffe davidjaffe 's comments come off as mild at best to me and maybe a bit tacky, but again, and regardless of my opinion of them or him in general, it's not like I'm forced to watch/read/respond to them. Unless someone is literally trying to Bird Box me into reading/watching/listening to an opinion, I'll not complain about their ability to express opinions.

People act like this shit is happening when it comes to free speech and shit you don't like:

giphy.gif

It's not. Hit the ignore button and move on.

It sucks that these giant platforms don't allow for free speech, but they are entitled to do what they think is best for their brand, just like each us isn't forced to use any companies products/services.

Well would you have sex with the alternate sex of yourself?

I'd wager most on GAF are only having sex exclusively with the current version of themselves already, so you know the answer to this question.

Last edited:

reksveks

I understand big corporations being extremely PC, that's just a basic part of capitalism. But, you'd think that would make them more likely put systems in place to police anything user generated, rather than less. Full account bans will certainly result in more headlines regarding the issue rather than less. A good shadow ban on UGC would probably have gone unnoticed.
I assume its a flaw in their system and they 'fucked' up cause of their flaw. I think they should have just shadow banned the video as well. I think the fact that they need to stay away from negative UGC doesn't have to mean that their policies and systems have to be nuanced in terms of application.

I am looking at the twitch and hot tub streaming example from a couple of weeks ago. They went blunt and then nuanced (personally I don't know why the nuanced solution didn't come to mind first).

Amiga

the DJ video was baiting. I can see why they did it. could cause the writers grief over 2 likely misinterpreted lines of dialogue.

Unknown?

The ban was probably imposed by Druckmann himself.

Stuff like this is what successfully pushes me away from their ecosystem, it's better to just wait to play the games on PC where Sony has no voice, no control, no power. Fuck Konami Sony.
So on PC that is 100% controlled by Microsoft which is woke AF?

Xenon

"Judge not, that ye be not judged."

I almost never quote the Bible but it just fits so perfectly here.

Classic GIF by Originals

Top Bottom