• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December was the biggest month ever for Xbox Series S and X in UK and that includes launch month

ParaSeoul

Wonder what Sony's and Nintendo's results will be...

Season 10 Finale GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

reksveks

Damn, you beat me to it.
This might be good news overall for Xbox, but the big elephant in the room is Microsoft losing relevance in the UK boxed game market. Therefore the question whether this is a reason for celebration for them has to be asked.
Doesn't digital sales benefits publishers more? Platform holder I don't think it matters?

oldergamer

Damn, you beat me to it.
This might be good news overall for Xbox, but the big elephant in the room is Microsoft losing relevance in the UK boxed game market. Therefore the question whether this is a reason for celebration for them has to be asked.

Edit:
To avoid confusion:
/s
That seems like a silly thing to even ask.

Papacheeks

Banned
December and November were XBox's months to shine with them having Series S stock and 2 high profile games. Next Three months are going to be really hard for Xbox, but I do wonder if Sony has withheld stock for these next couple months?

If not then Sony is going to have an issue with releasing high profile games but no hardware for people to buy to play them on.

Ozriel

M$FT
December and November were XBox's months to shine with them having Series S stock and 2 high profile games. Next Three months are going to be really hard for Xbox, but I do wonder if Sony has withheld stock for these next couple months?

If not then Sony is going to have an issue with releasing high profile games but no hardware for people to buy to play them on.

The hardship of selling every single Series X console they make? And continued sales of the Series S? :messenger_grinning: :messenger_grinning: :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

reksveks

Next Three months are going to be really hard for Xbox, but I do wonder if Sony has withheld stock for these next couple months?
I don't get why they would hold back but yeah, in terms of software to power hardware sales. Xbox is feeling a bit lite until Summer.

Godot25

Banned
Damn, you beat me to it.

Edit:
To avoid confusion:
/s
Yup
It's clear that they are loosing relevance in UK market. I mean...studio head of Playground Games left the studio which means that Microsoft is probably preparing for shutting the whole studio down in aprox. 2 years

s

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't get why they would hold back but yeah, in terms of software to power hardware sales. Xbox is feeling a bit lite until Summer.

No offense but bit lite is a understatement. Unless they have some kind of big Gamepass third party exclusives for first half of the year, its going to not be great for them. Like I can't state enough the next couple months are going to be all Sony in terms of tech being talked about, games, updates. With the momentum they have because of issues with Stock from Sony, they need to strike, and you do that when someone walks into a store with their stimulus check or income tax, or with gift cards from christmas. They want to buy a console, Series s is on the shelf, they hear or know about gamepass. Whats the big game that is the must have? Halo and Forza are really the only ones that right now I would buy and xbox to play.

There are some great smaller games, like Mass effect Legendary is a great get. But whats the big game that stacks up against Horizon? GT7? Forza goes up against GT7 and honestly is the easier sell as GT is simulation. But following that they have FOrspoken. MLB THE SHOW which we dont know yet if its going to be on gamepass this year we can't assume,(I think it will be on GP).

And bigger issue is Sony has some things planned soon. Capcom Pro tour is in Feb. Capcom has some things they had to push announcement wise to 2022. Same goes with Square. I think 2022 going to be rough for xbox.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
No offense but bit lite is a understatement. Unless they have some kind of big Gamepass third party exclusives for first half of the year, its going to not be great for them. Like I can't state enough the next couple months are going to be all Sony in terms of tech being talked about, games, updates. With the momentum they have because of issues with Stock from Sony, they need to strike, and you do that when someone walks into a store with their stimulus check or income tax, or with gift cards from christmas. They want to buy a console, Series s is on the shelf, they hear or know about gamepass. Whats the big game that is the must have? Halo and Forza are really the only ones that right now I would buy and xbox to play.

There are some great smaller games, like Mass effect Legendary is a great get. But whats the big game that stacks up against Horizon? GT7? Forza goes up against GT7 and honestly is the easier sell as GT is simulation. But following that they have FOrspoken. MLB THE SHOW which we dont know yet if its going to be on gamepass this year we can't assume,(I think it will be on GP).

And bigger issue is Sony has some things planned soon. Capcom Pro tour is in Feb. Capcom has some things they had to push announcement wise to 2022. Same goes with Square. I think 2022 going to be rough for xbox.
Green rats will survive through the harsh months. They lived through the Xbox One. They could survive a nuclear winter.

Todd Howard's lies are so sweet they provide sustenance, allowing survival even without games or food.

reksveks

I think it's going to be a lot more ubisoft titles regarding gamepass personally but let's see if they have anything to worry about by the end of 2022.

Papacheeks

Banned
I think it's going to be a lot more ubisoft titles regarding gamepass personally but let's see if they have anything to worry about by the end of 2022.

But what big title for first half does Ubisoft have? They have expansion/DLC for Rainbow Six. Unless the prince of persia remake, and a big new title release is out in next couple months not much that will be a bigger talking point than PSVR2, Forbidden West, GT7. I can't stress enough what Japan publishers are sitting on because of covid. Announcements that were going to be last year are now this year. Lots of stuff is going to be leaking After February.

My issue is this line of thinking " let's see if they have anything to worry about by end of 2022." That is what Xbox would always do in the past and release their big games later in the year and its competing with all the big third party. One game we have seen nothing of that is suppose to come later 2022 us not something I would bet a whole year. Sony and Nintendo think about the whole year. Sometimes Nintendo leans heavily on third party depending. But they release suff spread out even if its only 3 or so games.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
But what big title for first half does Ubisoft have? They have expansion/DLC for Rainbow Six. Unless the prince of persia remake, and a big new title release is out in next couple months not much that will be a bigger talking point than PSVR2, Forbidden West, GT7. I can't stress enough what Japan publishers are sitting on because of covid. Announcements that were going to be last year are now this year. Lots of stuff is going to be leaking After February.
I think everyone has known for a year now that PS will have a better 2022 than 2021. But it's not like it's the end of the world for anyone. Gran Turismo is cool, but I think Xbox gamers are fine on the racing front. Horizon will be the graphical showpiece for the first part of the year for sure, and deserves the spotlight it'll get. PS will get Stray and Sifu, but Xbox will have Trek to Yomi, Midnight Fight Express and Replaced , among other indies. Then Stalker will be very impressive graphically in May. Then E3 will reset the year for GP expectations again. Summer will have Redfall and Forespoken. I'm not at all convinced that either of them will be very good yet. God of War towards the end of the year but Xbox will have Starfield. Ghostwire might come out in the first half of the year, but it will probably be a quiet cult hit. Xbox will get Deathloop, which wont be a huge deal either. GP will get Plague Tale 2 as well, which looks neat, but will be another small title probably.

Quietly off to the side, Switch will be dropping exclusives nearly once a month all year. I think everyone will survive.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned

Sony had pathetic second half of 2021 (so pathetic they had to be carried by Xbox's Deathloop) and I don't think it was that bad in terms of consoles sales.
Again showing, that you literally don't need to have exclusives games at this time because your console will still be out of stock...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

definitely, I could totally see Sony holding back stock for horizon and GT7. This isn’t a sprint and they will want consoles on the shelves for these two huge games. I think Sony will have a huge 2022 as I cant really think of any big Microsoft games coming for the first half of the year?

Papacheeks

Banned
Sony had pathetic second half of 2021 (so pathetic they had to be carried by Xbox's Deathloop) and I don't think it was that bad in terms of consoles sales.
Again showing, that you literally don't need to have exclusives games at this time because your console will still be out of stock...

Sony's second half of 2021 yes, was lackluster. But primarily Horizon and GT7 were originally set for 2021. Hence why they are coming next couple months. SO imagine how 2021 have looked like? Returnal, Ratchet, Kena, Horizon, GT7, MLB the show? Thats insane.

If you think GT7, Forbidden west, God of war is all there is, lol you are going to be surprised.

Last edited:

reksveks

GP will get Plague Tale 2 as well, which looks neat, but will be another small title probably.

Quietly off to the side, Switch will be dropping exclusives nearly once a month all year. I think everyone will survive.
Just to comment about Plague Tale/Tail 2 however you spell it. I think it's bigger than Ghostwire Tokyo but obviously it ain't an exclusive.

Godot25

Banned
Sony's second half of 2021 yes, was lackluster. But primarily Horizon and GT7 were originally set for 2021. Hence why they are coming next couple months. SO imagine how 2021 hat have looked like? Returnal, Ratchet, Kena, Horizon, GT7, MLB the show? Thats insane.

If you think GT7, Forbidden west, God of war is all there is, lol you are going to be surprised.
Wtf should I care about what was planned? Jimbo promised "best first year in PS history" but he was dumb enough to said it during pandemic which is entirely his fault. So, Microsoft had sad first half of 2021 , Sony had similarly sad second half of 2021, Fair and square.

I don't expect GT7, Forbidden West and God of War to be all. Because there are Forspoken, and GhostWire also. But on the other hand I don't expect Ragnarok to be out this year. And I also don't expect FFXVI to be out this year.
But also, I don't expect Starfield, Redfall, Stalker 2 to be all from Microsoft. Forza is rumored to be out this year, Machine Games is working on non Indy project for several years (Wolf 3?), and Pentiment (albeit this is smaller game, but it is first party) is supposed to be out in 2022.

But my point was...However dry PS's second half of 2021 was, it didn't reflect in sales of PS5. Because there is still more demand than there is consoles manufactured. But same thing applies for Series X. Console is regularly out of stock and will be during entire first half of 2022. So by the time Redfall and Starfield will be out it won't hurt Microsoft that much.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Just to comment about Plague Tale/Tail 2 however you spell it. I think it's bigger than Ghostwire Tokyo but obviously it ain't an exclusive.

Depending on how Ghost wire is presented. In terms of visuals and tech Plagues tale 2 tech with the rats and stuff looks nutts. But ghostwire is very stylish, and I think similar to seeing something like Persona it has potential to grab people. But on paper I think Plagues tale is easier to sell to someone interms of interest of playing.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think they're both fairly niche releases that have potential to gain positive reviews / word of mouth.

reksveks

Depending on how Ghost wire is presented. In terms of visuals and tech Plagues tale 2 tech with the rats and stuff looks nutts. But ghostwire is very stylish, and I think similar to seeing something like Persona it has potential to grab people. But on paper I think Plagues tale is easier to sell to someone interms of interest of playing.
I was mainly referring to just the 'known' quantity of Plagues Tale 2, it's an easier marketing job imo cause the first one is known for being pretty good. I will check the GP 2022 list but it's very much indie heavy (good for me) at the moment.

Ozriel

M$FT

All this sounds more like wishful thinking from you, tbh.

Microsoft's plan is to have a steady stream of releases to Gamepass, so it's for sure that more games will keep hitting the service. Including big ones.

But all that is immaterial. The fact is, they're not even able to meet demand at the moment. So they'll keep selling out what they make.

But I hope there's someone from the Xbox team on this forum so they can properly note your concerns (y).

Top Bottom