• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December was the biggest month ever for Xbox Series S and X in UK and that includes launch month

Papacheeks

Banned
exclusive or sony moneyhat?

Square ones outside of Final Fantasy are all Timed from my understanding. Final Fantasy will come to PC but dont expect it on Xbox. They have more titles though that will be on xbox that are just 6-12 month exclusive. Capcom literally has games that are tied to Playstation as in SOny is involved fitting some of the bill in some way shape or form. When it comes to resident evil they may have some exclusivity, but it's going to be specific features like VR.

It's been a long time since all three brands were doing well at the same time, so this is great to see. Unfortunately I'm still stuck on xbox one because of how annoying it is to find a series x over here. Series s is thr only readily available console but that's no good to me. Good for a lot of kids over Christmas though.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Makes sense, Microsoft pushed hard with Forza and Halo for the holiday season. Not sure it'll be enough to secure a win, but we'll see.
There really is no win with Xbox series consoles though. They don't have to "win" the console war as their clearly invested in different platforms - not just consoles. I'm not sure people truly understand how diverse the Xbox ecosystem is compared to the others. Nintendo and Sony would apply to the traditional business strategy. Xbox left that arena a while ago. They are not the same.

oldergamer

There really is no win with Xbox series consoles though. They don't have to "win" the console war as their clearly invested in different platforms - not just consoles. I'm not sure people truly understand how diverse the Xbox ecosystem is compared to the others. Nintendo and Sony would apply to the traditional business strategy. Xbox left that arena a while ago. They are not the same.
This is true. MS were first to do away with the old console model and embrace PC day and date for all titles. Consoles exist for the sole purpose of selling software. Why restrict yourself to only that platform. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

jhjfss

Square ones outside of Final Fantasy are all Timed from my understanding. Final Fantasy will come to PC but dont expect it on Xbox. They have more titles though that will be on xbox that are just 6-12 month exclusive. Capcom literally has games that are tied to Playstation as in SOny is involved fitting some of the bill in some way shape or form. When it comes to resident evil they may have some exclusivity, but it's going to be specific features like VR.
makes sense, there was an article last year about Sony going to every publisher and striking some kind of deal, they probably have even more timed exclusives that we don't know of. Bioshock perhaps?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Damn, you beat me to it.
This might be good news overall for Xbox, but the big elephant in the room is Microsoft losing relevance in the UK boxed game market. Therefore the question whether this is a reason for celebration for them has to be asked.

Edit:
To avoid confusion:
/s

Yeah, he beat me too. I guess a lot of us were rightly concerned about the far more important U.K. boxed sales numbers. :pie_roffles: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :pie_roffles:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Not surprising, the Series X was available for two days on Amazon just before Christmas, finally got one and a new C1 series LG OLED T.V, awesome combination.
Way To Go Thumbs Up GIF

Stuart360

Be interesting to see what these record hardware sales do for Gamepass subscriptions, what sort of percentage are subscribing with their new console.
I know we have a few 'physical for life' people on here, but i cant imagine many of the masses buying a new Xbox and not buying Gamepass too. I mean obviously there will be some, but the percentage has got to be pretty low.

And bigger issue is Sony has some things planned soon. Capcom Pro tour is in Feb. Capcom has some things they had to push announcement wise to 2022. Same goes with Square. I think 2022 going to be rough for xbox.
I don't see how Capcom's announcements for the Pro Tour has much to do with Sony, outside of maybe PS5 being the tournament standard for Capcom Cup (which isn't even guaranteed; at most it could be tournament-standard for EVO but EVO is not owned by Capcom, it just happens to be part of Capcom Cup). If the idea is SF6 being PS-exclusive console-wise, well we'd know that some exchanges happened to make that be considering the leaks mentioned the Xbox consoles.

Personally I think they need a big announcement to make up for what's going to most likely be a lackluster season event considering the Cup proper has been cancelled. That said it wouldn't sit well with me if SF6 was locked to just one console again this gen, though I'd also have to ask what the hell is going on with Xbox division to not fight to ensure that type of stuff is avoided. If you have to pay more to ensure a game comes to your platform, especially in a genre you're weak in...then do it.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

And thats fine for people who like playing interesting games and all that it def adds value. But I'm talking about specifically how it pertains to the thread. WHich is Xbox sold well during Nov-Dec because 1# they had stock mainly series S readily available. #2 They had 2 high profile games with a lot of good buzz from Halo Infinite and FOrza. So now that first half your big game is partneres stalker 2 which looks great, but is not as big in terms of name sake as HORIZON. It could be but its a shooter and its very dark in terms of setting. So its appeal is to those that played the first one or like games like Metro, Bioshock. We are talking about someone who doesnt have a console yet, walk into bestbuy/Walmart/Target looks around see's ads for gamepass on the TV screens that shows maybe halo/forza or whatever. They walk over to Playstation side they see big ass kiosk or promo stand for Horizon or there's trailers playing somewhere on tv's. Which one depending on funds, is going to grab your attention?

The thing Xbox has going for it is your entry price is $299 and you can get gamepass and just start playing. Which is a big deal. But then you factor in brand recognition, and thats where sony when they have their marketing on point and games is something that in my opinion trumps value.
Nothing trumps value except brand loyalty and ecosystem. And even then people starts weighing options.

People are more cognitive of what they can save versus how much they should stay with a brand.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think they will tell us when they hit 30mil subs, but it will only be major milestones like that imo (30mil subs, 40mil, 50mil, etc).

It's probably doing a pretty healthy up-tick on an yearly basis.

Even when it missed MS's 49% annual growth target, it still managed a 37% growth target, it's not like it was a flat line year-over-year.

Stuart360

It's probably doing a pretty healthy up-tick on an yearly basis.

Even when it missed MS's 49% annual growth target, it still managed a 37% growth target, it's not like it was a flat line year-over-year.
Oh for sure. Certain people tried to act like the sky was falling but it still had 37% growth, it just missed Microsoft pretty high target to be honest, although it blew past their previous target so that probably made them bullish.

Imo we must be so close to 30mil already, that i'll be surprised they dont hit 30mil in the first 6 months of this year.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Oh for sure. Certain people tried to act like the sky was falling but it still had 37% growth, it just missed Microsoft pretty high target to be honest, although it blew past their previous target so that probably made them bullish.

Imo we must be so close to 30mil already, that i'll be surprised they dont hit 30mil in the first 6 months of this year.
That target was to activate bonuses wasn’t it? Those targets are meant to be above and beyond their expectations. That’s how part of my bonus at work is, we have our budget/growth targets, and then to get the full part of that bonus we need to hit even higher.

Stuart360

That target was to activate bonuses wasn’t it? Those targets are meant to be above and beyond their expectations. That’s how part of my bonus at work is, we have our budget/growth targets, and then to get the full part of that bonus we need to hit even higher.
Yeah you're right actually as i remember some of us jokingly making up some forum conspiracy theories about Satya buying up tons of accounts so he hit the target.:messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
Out of 6 performance metrics, in that Fiscal Year, MS missed 3.
Game Pass, Teams and Surface.

IKR, it's that thing where first party is viewed as the only titles players are interested in. LOL
To be fair, most people have said Spartacus is dead on arrival because it won’t include day 1 first party games. So if we apply that same logic to gamepass its looking not much better for the year

Woopah

Its going to be very interesting seeing platform choices for Japanese third parties going forward. Makes sense that Sony would prioritise Sqaure and Capcom for deals.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I know we have a few 'physical for life' people on here, but i cant imagine many of the masses buying a new Xbox and not buying Gamepass too. I mean obviously there will be some, but the percentage has got to be pretty low.

That's mostly hardcore Sony fans so I doubt that sentiment would impact Game Pass numbers in any way. I suspect a fairly large number of new Series owners would sign up for Game Pass, especially if they aren't previous Xbox owners.

MrFunSocks

Banned
CEO performance metrics.
Also remember those are made by the board of directors (Satay has one seat there tho). Not Microsoft themselves.
Ok so not their guidance or budgeted metrics, but ceo performance bonus metrics. Great, now we can stop pretending that it means they missed their targets.

Last edited:
I think SF6 will have some form of exclusivity, Sony has pretty much made itself home of fighters. It would take very little to entice capcom to make it console exclusive.

I think street fighter 5 damn near surpassed street fighter 2 on playstation and pc only.

Lognor

Banned
I think SF6 will have some form of exclusivity, Sony has pretty much made itself home of fighters. It would take very little to entice capcom to make it console exclusive.

I think street fighter 5 damn near surpassed street fighter 2 on playstation and pc only.
Doubt it. SF5 started off horribly. It was in the bargain bin a month after launch, if I recall. Went for maybe $20 a month after launch. Not a great look. It was a huge step down from SF4, selling about half across all versions.

SF5 will be on Xbox and PS5 day one. Mark it down. :)

Stuart360

That's mostly hardcore Sony fans so I doubt that sentiment would impact Game Pass numbers in any way. I suspect a fairly large number of new Series owners would sign up for Game Pass, especially if they aren't previous Xbox owners.
Well we already know COD was 90% digital on Xbox in the UK, and that isnt even on Gamepass, The sway to digital is high on both but with Xbox its almost total, or will be very soon imo.
I just cant see many people buying a new Xbox and NOT subbing to Gamepass. In fact if i were Microsoft i would of included a Gamepass 3 month code with every Xbox. I know you can sign up for a month anyway but a code in the box would just make it a certainty.

Whoever can get the most units in stores is going to sell the most that's just how it's going to be for a while, Sony has sold millions more units than MS has so far and that'll likely continue even if they "lose" a month here and there.

Stuart360

Its not the same really. I remember well the SF2 craze of the 90's, i was part of it. It was the biggest game on the planet, along with MK for a time.
The difference is that Snes sold like a third of PS4 consoles, and the fighting scene on PC was near none existant back in the 90's.

Sales wise SFV and SF2 may be close, but game size and hype wise, and cultural impact, its not in the same ballpark.

Last edited:
Its not the same really. I remember well the SF2 craze of the 90's, i was part of it. It was the biggest game on the planet, along with MK for a time.
The difference is that Snes sold like a third of PS4 consoles, and the fighting scene on PC was near none existant back in the 90's.

Sales wise SFV and SF2 may be close, but game size and hype wise, and cultural impact, its not in the same ballpark.

Well, yeah, in general gaming is just much bigger than it’s ever been. But the fact that the franchise can survive on two platforms is kind of the basis of my reasoning.

Lognor

Banned
I
Well, yeah, in general gaming is just much bigger than it’s ever been. But the fact that the franchise can survive on two platforms is kind of the basis of my reasoning.
It was actually $10 a month after launch. LOL. It was a disaster at launch.

Compared to SFIV games that stayed a high price for a much longer time. No, it's going back to Xbox day one. Bookmark this post.

I

It was actually $10 a month after launch. LOL. It was a disaster at launch.

Compared to SFIV games that stayed a high price for a much longer time. No, it's going back to Xbox day one. Bookmark this post.

The game is pretty much F2P. I guarantee they made more off fighter packs then they made in sales from SF4

The fact that are still supporting the game even until this year kind of says it all

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
The game is pretty much F2P. I guarantee they made more off fighter packs then they made in sales from SF4
Okay, so you're saying they would limit a F2P game to one console? What? That makes no sense. IF we want to classify it as free to play it is even more likely that it will be on Xbox day one. And I'm guessing Sony would actually be okay with that too with their ownership of Evo now. They want more people interested in fighting games, and that means SF6 on Xbox day one.

Okay, so you're saying they would limit a F2P game to one console? What? That makes no sense. IF we want to classify it as free to play it is even more likely that it will be on Xbox day one. And I'm guessing Sony would actually be okay with that too with their ownership of Evo now. They want more people interested in fighting games, and that means SF6 on Xbox day one.

People on xbox just do not care about fighters or jrpgs. Sony pretty much moves through those timed and exclusivity deals without friction for that very reason.

The gains they get from dedicating resources to xbox is easily covered with a slip of a 20 from sony. It’s why guilty gear isn’t on xbox

Papacheeks

Banned

Sony has too much money invested in Capcom and fight scene for street fighter to not be 100% exclusive or long term timed. The own evo, and basically funded most of not all Capcom pro tours.

DaGwaphics

To be fair, most people have said Spartacus is dead on arrival because it won’t include day 1 first party games. So if we apply that same logic to gamepass its looking not much better for the year

MS has two first party titles already announced. I don't see this year shaping up that much different than last year, tbh. I'm sure they have a surprise or two planned as well.

MrFunSocks

Banned
MS has two first party titles already announced. I don't see this year shaping up that much different than last year, tbh. I'm sure they have a surprise or two planned as well.
Forza will likely be unveiled at “E3” or whatever they have then, and release at the end of the year.

Top Bottom