• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December was the biggest month ever for Xbox Series S and X in UK and that includes launch month

MrFunSocks

Banned
People playing exclusive list wars like it matters lol. Both consoles will sell out of every single unit they make this year even if they don’t release a single first party game all year.

What did Sony have come out in November and December 2021? Nothing. By your logic the PS5 sales should be nothing then, right?

Papacheeks

Banned
I was mainly referring to just the 'known' quantity of Plagues Tale 2, it's an easier marketing job imo cause the first one is known for being pretty good. I will check the GP 2022 list but it's very much indie heavy (good for me) at the moment.

And thats fine for people who like playing interesting games and all that it def adds value. But I'm talking about specifically how it pertains to the thread. WHich is Xbox sold well during Nov-Dec because 1# they had stock mainly series S readily available. #2 They had 2 high profile games with a lot of good buzz from Halo Infinite and FOrza. So now that first half your big game is partneres stalker 2 which looks great, but is not as big in terms of name sake as HORIZON. It could be but its a shooter and its very dark in terms of setting. So its appeal is to those that played the first one or like games like Metro, Bioshock. We are talking about someone who doesnt have a console yet, walk into bestbuy/Walmart/Target looks around see's ads for gamepass on the TV screens that shows maybe halo/forza or whatever. They walk over to Playstation side they see big ass kiosk or promo stand for Horizon or there's trailers playing somewhere on tv's. Which one depending on funds, is going to grab your attention?

The thing Xbox has going for it is your entry price is $299 and you can get gamepass and just start playing. Which is a big deal. But then you factor in brand recognition, and thats where sony when they have their marketing on point and games is something that in my opinion trumps value.

reksveks

And thats fine for people who like playing interesting games and all that it def adds value. But I'm talking about specifically how it pertains to the thread
I get your point but I don't think supply isn't going to massively improve in the next 3/6 months relative to demand to make this relevant to many users.

You have got your point across so happy to end it here.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
I think STALKER 2 is going to be pretty big, it's the first new UE5 game being released, it looks pretty amazing and it is day one on Gamepass. That's pretty compelling for a game that is an established franchise on PC already.
Also it's next gen only, that is going to make some Xbox One owners make the upgrade as it's the first really high profile game they can't play on their machine unless they make it available for streaming.

Markio128

I think STALKER 2 is going to be pretty big, it's the first new UE5 game being released, it looks pretty amazing and it is day one on Gamepass. That's pretty compelling for a game that is an established franchise on PC already.
Also it's next gen only, that is going to make some Xbox One owners make the upgrade as it's the first really high profile game they can't play on their machine unless they make it available for streaming.
The problem is, neither MS or Sony (you can even add PC upgrades) can produce enough consoles to meet demand, so I feel the attraction of any upcoming games is a moot point until the production issues are sorted.

Riky

$MSFT
The problem is, neither MS or Sony (you can even add PC upgrades) can produce enough consoles to meet demand, so I feel the attraction of any upcoming games is a moot point until the production issues are sorted.

Might be the case for Series X but I can get a Series S from Amazon for tomorrow, could be tempting for Xbox One owners now that Microsoft seem to have gone next gen only.

Markio128

Might be the case for Series X but I can get a Series S from Amazon for tomorrow, could be tempting for Xbox One owners now that Microsoft seem to have gone next gen only.
If Halo and Forza can’t shift all the Series S in stock, then I don’t think Stalker 2 or R6 will.

Season 10 Finale GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm
Thats what she said

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This doesnt surprise me at all as I said in another thread my local WalMart had around 15 Series S in stock 2 days before Christmas and when we were in there a couple of nights ago they had 2 so this result is directly tied to stock

Riky

$MSFT
If Halo and Forza can’t shift all the Series S in stock, then I don’t think Stalker 2 or R6 will.

I explained why I think it will, those were cross gen games, Xbox One owners could still buy them on their present console, not the case with STALKER 2.

Markio128

I explained why I think it will, those were cross gen games, Xbox One owners could still buy them on their present console, not the case with STALKER 2.
If the game is well marketed then who knows, but I feel it is not really well known as a mainstream title. I guess time will tell.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm quite enjoying mine, for sure. That $200 price gap is nothing to sneeze at, either.

True, enthusiast 'gamers' on forums like this will naturally gravitate towards the higher spec machine but for most common folk, the $200 differential is the biggest thing they'll see.

Especially if they have a savvy friend or relative who can hook them up for 3 years of Game Pass using that differential. You've got a gorgeous looking little box that has 3 years of constant games coming in and out.

But what big title for first half does Ubisoft have? They have expansion/DLC for Rainbow Six. Unless the prince of persia remake, and a big new title release is out in next couple months not much that will be a bigger talking point than PSVR2, Forbidden West, GT7. I can't stress enough what Japan publishers are sitting on because of covid. Announcements that were going to be last year are now this year. Lots of stuff is going to be leaking After February.

My issue is this line of thinking " let's see if they have anything to worry about by end of 2022." That is what Xbox would always do in the past and release their big games later in the year and its competing with all the big third party. One game we have seen nothing of that is suppose to come later 2022 us not something I would bet a whole year. Sony and Nintendo think about the whole year. Sometimes Nintendo leans heavily on third party depending. But they release suff spread out even if its only 3 or so games.

Yeah the FF16 showcase and announcement alone is a megaton waiting to be deployed

Then you have God of War State of Play, and general 2022-2023 games they haven’t announced. Seems microsoft announced all their big titles for the next couple of years already. Sony still has like 20 something games to announce 1st party alone, not counting the 3rd party deals. And the VR stuff will come even sooner than that, maybe by the end of this month

Last edited:

onesvenus

But what big title for first half does Ubisoft have? They have expansion/DLC for Rainbow Six. Unless the prince of persia remake, and a big new title release is out in next couple months not much that will be a bigger talking point than PSVR2, Forbidden West, GT7. I can't stress enough what Japan publishers are sitting on because of covid. Announcements that were going to be last year are now this year. Lots of stuff is going to be leaking After February.
Are you knowledgeable on Microsoft games or are you speculating only knowing one side of it? I agree that with what's announced now PS has a much better year than Microsoft but I expect MS to add some unknown games. This first half year is quite sad from a first party standpoint in MS camp. They need to really start avoiding these empty stretches of time if they want to compete.

Yeah the FF16 showcase and announcement alone is a megaton waiting to be deployed

Then you have God of War State of Play, and general 2022-2023 games they haven’t announced. Seems microsoft announced all their big titles for the next couple of years already. Sony still has like 20 something games to announce 1st party alone, not counting the 3rd party deals. And the VR stuff will come even sooner than that, maybe by the end of this month
Microsoft has more studios than Sony so I'd expect more first party games coming from them. I don't think anybody can really say MS announced everything for the next two years with a serious face. Having said that, if what's announced now is really all what's there on Microsoft camp they should really buy another big publisher to compete 🤣

Are you knowledgeable on Microsoft games or are you speculating only knowing one side of it? I agree that with what's announced now PS has a much better year than Microsoft but I expect MS to add some unknown games. This first half year is quite sad from a first party standpoint in MS camp. They need to really start avoiding these empty stretches of time if they want to compete.

Microsoft has more studios than Sony so I'd expect more first party games coming from them. I don't think anybody can really say MS announced everything for the next two years with a serious face. Having said that, if what's announced now is really all what's there on Microsoft camp they should really buy another big publisher to compete 🤣
It doesn’t matter, microsoft put their best foot forward, and they have at least 10 announced games that they are gonna be slowly trickling out from now til 2024-25. Do I believe they have far more games in the pipeline, well duh. They’re a games company

But their games dont command the same attention that sony 1st party does. And yes I’m including Bethesda in that. One god of war is equal to 3 other AAA games, like fable, perfect dark, outer worlds 2…those aren’t huge games right now and unless they get 90+ metacritic scores they won’t ever be.

Like, Wolverine and spider-man 2 alone are megatons and thats just from one team and not even whats considered sonys best studio

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It doesn’t matter, microsoft put their best foot forward, and they have at least 10 announced games that they are gonna be slowly trickling out from now til 2024-25. Do I believe they have far more games in the pipeline, well duh. They’re a games company

But their games dont command the same attention that sony 1st party does. And yes I’m including Bethesda in that. One god of war is equal to 3 other AAA games, like fable, perfect dark, outer worlds 2…those aren’t huge games right now and unless they get 90+ metacritic scores they won’t ever be.

Like, Wolverine and spider-man 2 alone are megatons and thats just from one team and not even whats considered sonys best studio
Dude lol.

you-went-full.gif

Have you heard of a game named Skyrim?
I agree that they need to keep having high scores if they want to compete but I'm sure they'll do it

elder scrolls seems to be the most known quantity on that list for sure although i think people view it as Skyrim before ES.

Papacheeks

Banned

I think FF16 get's pushed honestly. Just because I think FF15 was the only game they released in a non-SPRING month. They have better luck releasing not up against all the third party titles in fall. I mean they could release it this year like summer time. But their last post hinted they were a little behind. So for polish reasons I feel it might slip.

But there are a lot of capcom titles and couple partnered square titles to be announced this year.

I think FF16 get's pushed honestly. Just because I think FF15 was the only game they released in a non-SPRING month. They have better luck releasing not up against all the third party titles in fall. I mean they could release it this year like summer time. But their last post hinted they were a little behind. So for polish reasons I feel it might slip.

But there are a lot of capcom titles and couple partnered square titles to be announced this year.

Regardless of whether it MAKES this year, the presentation for it will be in spring. Which that alone commands its own stratosphere of mindshare. OOO NEW NEXT GEN ONLY FINAL FANTASY

It will be highlighted in a way that It wasn’t originally amongst sonys own line up of games. That’s kind of the point, its not really about just releases its about once again commanding headlines and peoples attention. Announcements and releases, its gonna be a big 6 months for playstation

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Pragmata 2023.

Probably a Monster Hunter World 2 in the works now that Rise is nearly done.

Leyasu

Banned
My son badgered me until I put my day one xbone in his bedroom. It breaks my heart seeing him playing 30hz games. Still halo infinite holds up quite well.

It’s his birthday in February and he is starting secondary/high school in September so I have to get him a laptop for school work and can’t justify an XsX to go with it. But he said he would “accept” an XsS because the loading times are horrendous lol.

So he will be joining the XsS crew in less than a month.

Sony won't do that ever again. At least with Jim Ryan. Announcing games 4 years before release will never happen. Like TLOU2 back in 2016.
I was honestly surprised when Insomniac gave us 2 trailers for 2023 games last year tbh.
But then again...it's Insomniac...they don't sleep.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sony won't do that ever again. At least with Jim Ryan. Announcing games 4 years before release will never happen. Like TLOU2 back in 2016.
I was honestly surprised when Insomniac gave us 2 trailers for 2023 games last year tbh.
But then again...it's Insomniac...they don't sleep.
Everyone does this when they need to do it. They did it with Pragmata to get the ball rolling on PS5 hype. MS did it with Outer Worlds 2 and made a joke of it.

Everyone does this when they need to do it. They did it with Pragmata to get the ball rolling on PS5 hype. MS did it with Outer Worlds 2 and made a joke of it.
If Sony doesn't feel the need to do it right now, they never will at least this generation.

The only games from Sony's studios officially announced that haven't been released so far are the 3 cross gen games: Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, God of War Ragnarok and both Insomniac games i just mentioned. The first 3 are releasing this year. That leaves 2 games for 2023 and after that.

Sony never held so many cards close to their chest as they do right now. They have 17 studios and they have announced plans for a single studio if we don't count 2022 releases. That's honestly incredible but also frustrating. If only Sony had insiders like Xbox lmao.

Last edited:
If Sony doesn't feel the need to do it right now, they never will at least this generation.

The only games from Sony's studios officially announced that haven't been released so far are the 3 cross gen games: Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, God of War Ragnarok and both Insomniac games i just mentioned. The first 3 are releasing this year. That leaves 2 games for 2023 and after that.

Sony never held so many cards close to their chest as they do right now. They have 17 studios and they have announced plans for a single studio if we don't count 2022 releases. That's honestly incredible but also frustrating. If only Sony had insiders like Xbox lmao.
after seeing how many games sony had in production that gen that never came to fruition I’m glad they don’t have people leaking their stuff years in advance.

The Suckerpunch steampunk game, the monster detective game by insomniac or was it bend, the Santa Monica fantasy game. Etc imagine if people were waiting around for those games for years

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It’s Capcoms choice to show Pragamata though. Sony isn’t publishing it
They do favors for platform holders during the initial system launches. SQEX famously did this to try to help Sony during the PS3 launch with Versus trailers, to try and ignite excitement in the Japanese market. They obviously work together on timing of reveals.

literally whoever has supply wins at this point.

Nintendo using 6 year old ipad specs gives them the leg up.

Sony might have literally wasted an opportunity.

Have you heard of a game named Skyrim?
I agree that they need to keep having high scores if they want to compete but I'm sure they'll do it
Well MS certainly did quite well against Sony's first party last year. No one thought Halo or Forza would get the scores they did. At this point it's clear this generation will be nothing like last for MS and gamers will benefit.

Top Bottom