• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December was the biggest month ever for Xbox Series S and X in UK and that includes launch month

Not UK sales related but I just saw for the first time a stack of Series S consoles at Walmart. 8 of them. Usually at the store I shop at the Series S consoles are sold out or there is 1 or 2 available. And I just looked on my phone and they are finally available again in Best Buy for store pickup too. Series S is the top selling next gen console on Amazon right now.. Jan could be a big month.

All the kids that got a Xbox over Christmas are going to be telling their friends and other family members about Gamepass. The New Rainbow 6 and Total War will be the big AAA games for Jan and Feb and yeah I know Total War is PC only but it will be big . But they don't have any AAA Day 1 game announced for March yet.

Stuart360

MS has two first party titles already announced. I don't see this year shaping up that much different than last year, tbh. I'm sure they have a surprise or two planned as well.
Yeah there will be loads of games we dont know about that end up launching day and date on Gamepass over the coming year. There was last year and i see no reason why it would be different this year.

Plus the thing with Gamepass is that There are currently 407 games on PC Gamepass, and similar on Xbox. The value is already there.
I do think its about time Microsoft change the markleting for Gamepass though, they still have the 'over 100 games' marketing, when its over 400 lol. Talk about selling your service short a bit.

MrA

and this is why we saw sony push so many unit to the UK, that audience of microtransaction making cod/gta/fifa players is a prize that is both sweet as honey and in play

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Yeah there will be loads of games we dont know about that end up launching day and date on Gamepass over the coming year. There was last year and i see no reason why it would be different this year.

Plus the thing with Gamepass is that There are currently 407 games on PC Gamepass, and similar on Xbox. The value is already there.
I do think its about time Microsoft change the markleting for Gamepass though, they still have the 'over 100 games' marketing, when its over 400 lol. Talk about selling your service short a bit.

For real. Every time I see that stupid Game Pass ad with the "over 100 games" I'm like, what, are you stupid, Xbox or do you just want to avoid getting too many subs to Game Pass. :pie_roffles:

Dane

And thats fine for people who like playing interesting games and all that it def adds value. But I'm talking about specifically how it pertains to the thread. WHich is Xbox sold well during Nov-Dec because 1# they had stock mainly series S readily available. #2 They had 2 high profile games with a lot of good buzz from Halo Infinite and FOrza. So now that first half your big game is partneres stalker 2 which looks great, but is not as big in terms of name sake as HORIZON. It could be but its a shooter and its very dark in terms of setting. So its appeal is to those that played the first one or like games like Metro, Bioshock. We are talking about someone who doesnt have a console yet, walk into bestbuy/Walmart/Target looks around see's ads for gamepass on the TV screens that shows maybe halo/forza or whatever. They walk over to Playstation side they see big ass kiosk or promo stand for Horizon or there's trailers playing somewhere on tv's. Which one depending on funds, is going to grab your attention?

The thing Xbox has going for it is your entry price is $299 and you can get gamepass and just start playing. Which is a big deal. But then you factor in brand recognition, and thats where sony when they have their marketing on point and games is something that in my opinion trumps value.
Or maybe millions actually like to save money, because i've seen lots of people disastified with Sony pricing at even regional level that they went for Series S and Gamepass, these people mostly owned PS4 on the last gen.

Concern

I think everyone has known for a year now that PS will have a better 2022 than 2021. But it's not like it's the end of the world for anyone. Gran Turismo is cool, but I think Xbox gamers are fine on the racing front. Horizon will be the graphical showpiece for the first part of the year for sure, and deserves the spotlight it'll get. PS will get Stray and Sifu, but Xbox will have Trek to Yomi, Midnight Fight Express and Replaced , among other indies. Then Stalker will be very impressive graphically in May.

First time hearing about Midnight Fight Express. Now its looking like a day one for me, thanks.

These threads really bring out the "critical thinkers" lol. "Hey lets not sell all our consoles this month so we can sell them next month" 🤣🤣

DaGwaphics

First time hearing about Midnight Fight Express. Now its looking like a day one for me, thanks.

These threads really bring out the "critical thinkers" lol. "Hey lets not sell all our consoles this month so we can sell them next month" 🤣🤣

The only way I can ever see that happening is with limited edition consoles, where they might launch on the release day. But how many units are you really talking about with those. LOL

onesvenus

IKR, it's that thing where first party is viewed as the only titles players are interested in. LOL
They are not seen as the only titles players are interested in but they are the titles that make you buy one platform instead of another. If MS wants to sell consoles they need to have first party and exclusive games. Less now that there's no stock but it will once availability is solved

Lognor

Banned
People on xbox just do not care about fighters or jrpgs. Sony pretty much moves through those timed and exclusivity deals without friction for that very reason.

The gains they get from dedicating resources to xbox is easily covered with a slip of a 20 from sony. It’s why guilty gear isn’t on xbox

Sony has too much money invested in Capcom and fight scene for street fighter to not be 100% exclusive or long term timed. The own evo, and basically funded most of not all Capcom pro tours.

Sony owns Evo, not Capcom. Capcom is still trying to maximize profits so why would they not put a "free to play" game on as many devices as possible? Again, look at how SFV started. It was a colossal bomb. It was selling for $10 a month after launch. Maybe Capcom was able to turn it around due to the DLC, but imagine how much better they could have done with it being on Xbox day one. More users, more opportunities to sell DLC, etc.

Sony does not make a single fighting game. Microsoft has at least Killer Instinct that I'm aware of. So to say Xbox owners don't care about fighting games is laughable.

And to your point, Sony has a lot invested in Evo (not so much Capcom) so why would they not want more people interested in Evo (ie Xbox owners)?
So yeah, SF VI on Xbox day one. Bookmark this post!

ReBurn

Gold Member
They are not seen as the only titles players are interested in but they are the titles that make you buy one platform instead of another. If MS wants to sell consoles they need to have first party and exclusive games. Less now that there's no stock but it will once availability is solved
MS doesn't appear to be trying to get people to buy consoles as much as they are trying to get people people to buy Game Pass. Series S is an inexpensive way to get people onto the service, but if you have a capable PC they're just as happy to sell you Game Pass there instead.

onesvenus

MS doesn't appear to be trying to get people to buy consoles as much as they are trying to get people people to buy Game Pass. Series S is an inexpensive way to get people onto the service, but if you have a capable PC they're just as happy to sell you Game Pass there instead.
That's wonderful but there's people who only buy a gaming device per generation. You need to try to convince them to get your box or you are losing them for the generation.

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's wonderful but there's people who only buy a gaming device per generation. You need to try to convince them to get your box or you are losing them for the generation.
That's correct. That's why MS is providing an option where you can get access to hundreds of games, including the latest blockbuster games, without necessarily even having to buy a box. The value proposition of a $300 or $500 box and hundreds of games for $10-$15 per month vs $400-$500 box and $70 per game is a choice people make. But you can choose the second option and still get access to Game Pass on PC without ever buying a box.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Clearly they will have exclusive content, with the number of studios they have working now they won't have droughts like they've had in the past. Though it might take another year or two to get the cadence worked out in an optimal way. But they can make GP interesting in other ways, and GP alone is a reason to choose Xbox over rival systems.

Papacheeks

Banned
Sony owns Evo, not Capcom. Capcom is still trying to maximize profits so why would they not put a "free to play" game on as many devices as possible? Again, look at how SFV started. It was a colossal bomb. It was selling for $10 a month after launch. Maybe Capcom was able to turn it around due to the DLC, but imagine how much better they could have done with it being on Xbox day one. More users, more opportunities to sell DLC, etc.

Sony does not make a single fighting game. Microsoft has at least Killer Instinct that I'm aware of. So to say Xbox owners don't care about fighting games is laughable.

And to your point, Sony has a lot invested in Evo (not so much Capcom) so why would they not want more people interested in Evo (ie Xbox owners)?
So yeah, SF VI on Xbox day one. Bookmark this post!

Show me how Microsoft presence At last few years at evo? Also you ignored the main thing I said. Capcom Pro tour and other pro tour s were hosted and funded by Sony.

kingfey

Banned
The thing Xbox has going for it is your entry price is $299 and you can get gamepass and just start playing. Which is a big deal. But then you factor in brand recognition, and thats where sony when they have their marketing on point and games is something that in my opinion trumps value.
Brand recognition means shit, if your offer is garbage to your competitors.

Regular consumers are snake, and have no brand loyalty. They will go, to whoever is offering good value games.

X360 was much popular than ps3 in the west, but x1 happened, and people went to ps4.

Both ps3/x360 sold around 80+m per console. The next generation, ps4/x1 sold 120m/55m consoles. Around 30m of xbox users went with Playstation. Same thing will happen to Playstation, if they are unable to compete with xss price and gamepass.

Dane

Brand recognition means shit, if your offer is garbage to your competitors.

Regular consumers are snake, and have no brand loyalty. They will go, to whoever is offering good value games.

X360 was much popular than ps3 in the west, but x1 happened, and people went to ps4.

Both ps3/x360 sold around 80+m per console. The next generation, ps4/x1 sold 120m/55m consoles. Around 30m of xbox users went with Playstation. Same thing will happen to Playstation, if they are unable to compete with xss price and gamepass.
THIS.

Regular consumers go to were their pockets are worth more, not to have some kind of silly brand loyalty, what they have to gain with that?

"they have their marketing on point and games is something that in my opinion trumps value." Guess what, Xbox One sold decently because it had all good to best selling games, something that Gamecube didn't have at the 100 dollar price tag because it missed many popular games against Xbox and PS2 at the multiplatform support. Having a cheap console with a cheap entry to a catalogue and both having these titles means success.

Lognor

Banned
Show me how Microsoft presence At last few years at evo? Also you ignored the main thing I said. Capcom Pro tour and other pro tour s were hosted and funded by Sony.
Killer Instinct was there, right? I just googled it and shows for 2021 that KI was one of the games.

And again, you say that Sony is heavily invested in these tournaments so why would they want to limit its reach? They want more people interested in it. And you don't do that by limiting the content on display there.

so yeah, the next SF game will be on Xbox day one. Sony isn't going to sign some deal with Capcom because it doesn't benefit either party.

kingfey

Banned
Killer Instinct was there, right? I just googled it and shows for 2021 that KI was one of the games.

And again, you say that Sony is heavily invested in these tournaments so why would they want to limit its reach? They want more people interested in it. And you don't do that by limiting the content on display there.

so yeah, the next SF game will be on Xbox day one. Sony isn't going to sign some deal with Capcom because it doesn't benefit either party.
Next SF would be Playstation exclusive or timed. Considering ff7R is still exclusive to Playstation.
I wouldn't hold myself for that series to come to xbox.

Lognor

Banned
Next SF would be Playstation exclusive or timed. Considering ff7R is still exclusive to Playstation.
I wouldn't hold myself for that series to come to xbox.
?

Why are you talking about ff7r and sf6 in the same sentence? Are they from the she developer? Are they the same type of game? Were neither of them available on pc day one?

So they have nothing in common. Got it.

Sf5 did awful at launch. If we really want to consider it a ftp game then it will be on as many devices as possible. So yeah, xbox day one. You'll see!

kingfey

Banned
?

Why are you talking about ff7r and sf6 in the same sentence? Are they from the she developer? Are they the same type of game? Were neither of them available on pc day one?

So they have nothing in common. Got it.

Sf5 did awful at launch. If we really want to consider it a ftp game then it will be on as many devices as possible. So yeah, xbox day one. You'll see!
Both company have connection with sony. SF5 was fully funded by Sony.

FF7r had 1 year exclusive deal. no pc release too. The deal expired last year, and the game still not on xbox, but it hit on pc last year. upcoming square games are timed exclusive to PlayStation too.

Those 2 companies are in deep pocket with Sony. I am fully expecting SF6 to be PlayStation exclusive, just for their EVO.

ethomaz

Banned

KI was not part of EVO 2021.
It returned in EVO 2020 but was removed again in EVO 2021.

BTW I have no ideia what you googled that says that EVO 2021 had KI.

EVO 2021 games:
Teller 7
SFV: CE
Guilty Gear Strives
MK11 Ultimate
Skullgirls: 2nd Encore

KI was not even in the side events list.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Both company have connection with sony. SF5 was fully funded by Sony.

FF7r had 1 year exclusive deal. no pc release too. The deal expired last year, and the game still not on xbox, but it hit on pc last year. upcoming square games are timed exclusive to PlayStation too.

Those 2 companies are in deep pocket with Sony. I am fully expecting SF6 to be PlayStation exclusive, just for their EVO.
And both companies have connections to Nintendo. So what? Is sf6 going to be exclusive to switch? Is mhw2 going to skip xbox? Lol come off it

Sf6 will be on Xbox day one. Again, remember that sf5 was a huge bomb at launch. With sf relying so heavily on paid dlc now, Capcom will make it available to as many platforms as possible. It will be on Xbox day one. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

kingfey

Banned
And both companies have connections to Nintendo. So what? Is sf6 going to be exclusive to switch? Is mhw2 going to skip xbox? Lol come off it

Sf6 will be on Xbox day one. Again, remember that sf5 was a huge bomb at launch. With sf relying so heavily on paid dlc now, Capcom will make it available to as many platforms as possible. It will be on Xbox day one. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
You will have to give up on SF. With Sony having EVO, they will do what ever they can, to keep that franchise locked on their system.

Lognor

Banned
You will have to give up on SF. With Sony having EVO, they will do what ever they can, to keep that franchise locked on their system.
Nope. You're wrong. Sf6 will be in xbox day one. Bookmark this post!

And it's funny that you think this is a binary decision. That only Sony has a say. You're deluded. Again, sf5 was a huge bomb at launch. That money they got from Sony didn't help at launch. It bombed. Capcom will get this on s many platforms as they can, and that includes Xbox... day one!

kingfey

Banned
Nope. You're wrong. Sf6 will be in xbox day one. Bookmark this post!

And it's funny that you think this is a binary decision. That only Sony has a say. You're deluded. Again, sf5 was a huge bomb at launch. That money they got from Sony didn't help at launch. It bombed. Capcom will get this on s many platforms as they can, and that includes Xbox... day one!

If you are going by these leaks, then you are wrong. We are in 2022, and we haven't heard any news about this game.

With the way Playstation have been acting this generation, no way will Street fight 6 come to xbox.

They bought Evo. They need a game for that, and SF6 is perfect opportunity for them.

Capcom has other profitable franchises, they can focus on. SF would be a playstation game, unless MS steps in.

Lognor

Banned

If you are going by these leaks, then you are wrong. We are in 2022, and we haven't heard any news about this game.

With the way Playstation have been acting this generation, no way will Street fight 6 come to xbox.

They bought Evo. They need a game for that, and SF6 is perfect opportunity for them.

Capcom has other profitable franchises, they can focus on. SF would be a playstation game, unless MS steps in.
What? You post some link that states sf6 won't be exclusive and then say, "see? You're wrong!" LOL wut

Smash bros will be back at evo. Sony isn't buying smash. Evo already said they can put any game they want. They aren't bound by Sony. So sf6 won't be exclusive. You just posted a rumor that states the same! Sf6 will be on Xbox day one. Worst case, Sony requires Evo to use the ps5 version of the game.

kingfey

Banned
What? You post some link that states sf6 won't be exclusive and then say, "see? You're wrong!" LOL wut

Smash bros will be back at evo. Sony isn't buying smash. Evo already said they can put any game they want. They aren't bound by Sony. So sf6 won't be exclusive. You just posted a rumor that states the same! Sf6 will be on Xbox day one. Worst case, Sony requires Evo to use the ps5 version of the game.
That article was based on rumor, which isn't true, since we haven't heard any news about the game.

We will see when they announce it.

Lognor

Banned
That article was based on rumor, which isn't true, since we haven't heard any news about the game.

We will see when they announce

Yeah we will just have to wait and see, but I'm very confident it'll be on Xbox. I have no idea about the source from this rumor. It just seems like common sense to me. But yeah, we'll see, I'm sure at some point this year

been really impressed with MS/Xbox last year. this year looks just as exciting. if anything happened to my PC i'd be running out to get hold of a Series X.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
literally whoever has supply wins at this point.

Nintendo using 6 year old ipad specs gives them the leg up.

Sony might have literally wasted an opportunity.

The new generation just started a little over a year ago. How was it wasted?

Riky

$MSFT
A "huge" month, sound very promising. It's definitely the case over here that word of mouth on Gamepass is spreading fast, now big first party games like Halo Infinite and FH5 are on the service people will flock to that sort of value.
That probably sells hardware.

Chukhopops

We will see when they announce it.
Nobody knows what Capcom will do but I think another exclusive would put the franchise even more behind Tekken in sales.

- Tekken 6 sales: 3.5M
- Tekken 7 sales: 7M

- SF4 sales: 9M (all versions)
- SF5 sales: 6M (all versions), despite coming out a year before T7

It all depends where their priorities are in terms of the franchise.

kingfey

Banned
Nobody knows what Capcom will do but I think another exclusive would put the franchise even more behind Tekken in sales.

- Tekken 6 sales: 3.5M
- Tekken 7 sales: 7M

- SF4 sales: 9M (all versions)
- SF5 sales: 6M (all versions), despite coming out a year before T7

It all depends where their priorities are in terms of the franchise.
Taken 7 was on gamepass. And still managed to sell 1m more copies, despite being on xbox.

I doubt that franchise would overtake Street fighter on the next installment.

Depends on if, tekken 8 would be day1 gamepass game. Then, it would surpass the next Street fighter game.

DaGwaphics

Great to hear. With the way the X1 gen went even the diehard Xbox fans had to wonder a bit about whether or not Xbox Series would come out of the gate flat.

With MS and Sony both exceeding previous gen sales and PC GPUs being held out of reach of gamers by crypto miners, we might be looking at a big jump in consoles sold for the generation.

Dane

Taken 7 was on gamepass. And still managed to sell 1m more copies, despite being on xbox.

I doubt that franchise would overtake Street fighter on the next installment.

Depends on if, tekken 8 would be day1 gamepass game. Then, it would surpass the next Street fighter game.
Tekken 6 sold a third of Street Fighter IV, Tekken 7 surpassed SFV.

I read the entire thread and...*facepalm*...

For those who like GAMES, a console selling well is a win.
No matter what console is, we win with more games.

I really don't understand the negativity and trolls about low or high sales, its so cringe...

We have a staff pinned thread about this behavior, and people keep doing...

Last edited:
When peasants can't have Cavier....they have to eat Cake.

kirsten dunst shrug GIF by O&O, Inc

fermcr

But.. as a owner of Microsoft stock, I WANT TO SEE NUMBERS.

Just kidding, don't care about the numbers... and wish I had Microsoft stock"

Last edited:

Dane

Tekken 7 was on gamepass + xbox. SfV was on Playstation and pc.

The difference between them is 1m.
Except that Tekken 7 comes from a background of selling significantly less than Street Fighter in the last generation, now its the opposite. Capcom dropped the ball so hard this generation that even Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and 3 which were EVO main longstayers were droped once out in 2019 thanks to Infinite flopping. Also worth the mention that Tekken 7 has the most active playerbase on Steam for example, the double of Street Fighter V playercount right now.

Top Bottom