• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 4 Will Receive New Story Content Every 3 Months

Luipadre

Will it be paid?
Story content is usually paid.

And if it's free, that would be very cool. I will consider supporting it with battlepass purchase.

No, seasonal updates are gonna be free. I dont know why people freaking out over this. You dont want more content for diablo? Let the whales buy the BP and cosmetic shit and let us enjoy the free content every 3 months. Its that easy

Ozriel

M$FT
There’s not a hope in hell they can write, design, program, implement, test, balance, squash bugs, QA, balance some more etc…..content every three months. No hope in hell…….

last I checked Blizzard had ginormous trouble to get new employees thanks to certain...incidents within AB, with some 200+ positions, including key positions vacant.
I don`t know if that has changed in the meantime, but even fully staffed 3 month sprints are very..veeeery hard to realize for anything that actually deserves the description "meaty".

‘content released every three months’ doesn’t necessarily mean the content is developed only in three months. You could have overlap periods of concurrent development…

Saber

Gold Member
You dont have to worry about base content based on the beta. We only played the smallest map from the game and there are 4 more zones that are bigger and even a hell zone.

If is true then its cool. Lets not hope it means some zones will launch later.

Sanepar

this is awesome, major Diablo problem was the insane repeat formula with new content this game will endure years...

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I wonder if they'll still do paid expansions as well. I can easily see this game taking up a significant amount of my gaming time this year if the seasons and story updates are interesting and fun.

Portman

I was already getting scared away from it based on the bit of gameplay I played and seen not being that new from the 3rd game (to me at least). Now to see this has me reinforcing my plan to wait it out after release for either a discount and/or an expansion although not sure if that should be expected based on the mention of story content. I'm telling myself it will be small little bits like a mission or two and nothing significate like the expansions for the previous games but with the GaaS push I'm worried this might be all we'll get instead of an expansion.

Kuranghi

This is bad news to me, partly this but mostly other reason mean I'm going to see what impressions are after 24 hours when people are in the end-game.

I played the beta and the graphics, satisfaction of impact and sounds of the skills were great, the HDR is fucked but SDR looked great when black floor was tweaked a bit (shouldn't have to do that, black floor should be at or very very near 0, annoying), it didn't put me off but I dislike the world boss shit and skill stuff looks subpar, I wish they'd stuck with the rune system of D3 where you just change all skills on a whim for a new build, I found choosing between skills an unnecessary annoyance, just give me everything and let me decide how to build the character.

Now this makes it sound even more gaasy so I'll prob just give Everspace 2 a go instead of this to scratch the ARPG looting itch since I loved Chorus recently.

Last edited:

Nydius

Oh goody, they’re following in the same trashy FOMO footsteps as Destiny with their 3 month content drops. That’s what burned me right out on that game and now my interest in Diablo 4 is significantly lessened because I have better things to do with my time than play a game that wants me to dedicate my life to it (and only it).

Hot5pur

Oh goody, they’re following in the same trashy FOMO footsteps as Destiny with their 3 month content drops. That’s what burned me right out on that game and now my interest in Diablo 4 is significantly lessened because I have better things to do with my time than play a game that wants me to dedicate my life to it (and only it).
Just out of curiosity and not being critical, what prevents you from playing the story, some endgame, getting a good 50-100 hours out of it, and moving on with your life? Blizzard has been pretty clear that the game will launch with a full story and a decent endgame, if you want to stick around for extra stuff that's up to you. Or am I missing something?

dezzy8

New story content can be a couple of quests. It doesn’t have to be some huge expansion like you guys are thinking.

Luipadre

I refuse to pay 70 dollars for a game with season pass. I'll just wait until it becomes free to play or dirty-cheap.

why? There are tons of content in the base game already and every seasonal update is free. Dont like season pass? Dont buy it. Its not that hard

Ev1L AuRoN

why? There are tons of content in the base game already and every seasonal update is free. Dont like season pass? Dont buy it. Its not that hard
It is... It messes with the progression and much of the joy of playing the game, I take Warzone as an example, It's awful to level up and don't unlock shit.

For fans of the genre and people who participated in the beta and are having negative takes about this, can someone explain to me why this news is seen as bad news, but the exact same news for Path of Exile is seen as good news?

I don’t want to immediately call out favoritism, I just want to be educated on what I’m not seeing here aside from the added 59.99 price point between the two.

Is this a GAAS then? If it is, that’s not good imo. I really miss the days where you bought a game and it was complete. It’s fine adding content, but I wouldn’t announce it before the game even comes out because to me it can look like you intentionally left stuff out or the game wasn’t ready for launch yet.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
maxresdefault.jpg

One month 100 gold coins and 40 minutes without CGI scenes

Other month 50 red coins with a ordinary challenge

Other month a ordinary clothes and 20 minutes of a campaign chapter.

Other month 10 gold coins

Last edited:

Luipadre

It is... It messes with the progression and much of the joy of playing the game, I take Warzone as an example, It's awful to level up and don't unlock shit.

but you unlock cosmetic shit through BP. Your ingame progression wont be affected by it

Ev1L AuRoN

but you unlock cosmetic shit through BP. Your ingame progression wont be affected by it
Unlock shit and level up are two sides of the same thing, I call them both progression, I just won't enjoy the game without the parity in content, cosmetic or otherwise. I won't have a problem if the game was free and I had to pay for the battle pass, they could even strip the main campaign and launch a free version of the MP with the battle pass like COD do, it would be better, I prefer to ditch the campaign and go straight to the MP with battle pass than had to pay 70 for a game and another 10 dollars at every three months. Again that's just humble opinion, I'm sure a lot of people disagree, but I think I'll never cease to be annoyed by practices like that. And Blizzard in particular, the F company that sold me overwatch full price, I played a lot of that game and unlock a ton of cool stuff for free, then they decide to take away the game that I bought and give instead the same game but with battlepass and taking away my ability to unlock my shit by F*ckin playing the damm game.

Elitro

Rod Fergusson put out a tweet about this. Seems the article is misleading.

Yeah, pretty much what i expected and what makes sense.

New season, new game mechanic and some event that you can do to unlock the mechanic. Perhaps similar to WoW where you always have some event before a major expansion, and maybe some cosmetics for participating in the event.

Seems fine to me, not particularly interested in paying for the game pass since i can't imagine anything in it that i may want (not interested in cosmetics) but some of the new PoE season mechanics were interesting. Well done this could actually add a good deal of longevity to the game.

I understand people's weariness on the current Blizz practices but from what i experienced from OW2 i was OK with the battle pass. Yes it sucks they lock new heroes behind its purchase, but if you can still unlock them by playing the game so it's w/e.

iQuasarLV

No, seasonal updates are gonna be free. I dont know why people freaking out over this. You dont want more content for diablo? Let the whales buy the BP and cosmetic shit and let us enjoy the free content every 3 months. Its that easy

Because I timestamped the mike drop of an explanation.

In the past, no game I paid for that had a seasonal pass did not fuck me over right out the gate because of this video's very reasoning.

jaysius

Banned
So we're not going to get a full story in the game because it's really going to be stretched out over years... GREAT!

Any inkling I had for this is now fully dead, thank you Blizzard for helping me with that decision.

RIP Diablo IP.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned

Because I timestamped the mike drop of an explanation.

In the past, no game I paid for that had a seasonal pass did not fuck me over right out the gate because of this video's very reasoning.

Diablo 3 was pretty much a cookie clicker, Diablo 4 is a little bit better, but not much.

AREYOUOKAY?

I'm sure Overwatch 2 players will doubt these claims with how late and delayed that promised content is. Don't trust modern Blizzard at all.

Goalus

Why the uproar?
Blizzard have a product for those who don't like regular updates, it's called Diablo 2.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
No way this is going to be high quality story content. Probably lots of fetch quests and reused assets. It's a shame, because I enjoyed the big expansions in previous Diablo games - they were more than enough to get me back to playing the games.

Last edited:

treemk

Banned
No way this is going to be high quality story content. Probably lots of fetch quests and reused assets. It's a shame, because I enjoyed the big expansions in previous Diablo games - they were more than enough to get me back to playing the games.
I would really like to see Blizzard to return to balance only updates after launch until a big expansion hits, never going to happen.

geary

Yeah, pretty much what i expected and what makes sense.

New season, new game mechanic and some event that you can do to unlock the mechanic. Perhaps similar to WoW where you always have some event before a major expansion, and maybe some cosmetics for participating in the event.

Seems fine to me, not particularly interested in paying for the game pass since i can't imagine anything in it that i may want (not interested in cosmetics) but some of the new PoE season mechanics were interesting. Well done this could actually add a good deal of longevity to the game.

I understand people's weariness on the current Blizz practices but from what i experienced from OW2 i was OK with the battle pass. Yes it sucks they lock new heroes behind its purchase, but if you can still unlock them by playing the game so it's w/e.
Is like people have no idea about Path of Exile and how the competition in this genre is....The bubble on this forums gets smaller and smaller.

Last edited:

Stamps1646

This will be tied to it's Seasons feature, which is free, with the option of purchasing the Battle Pass.
Expansion Content will be paid DLC, Blizzard announced they are working on two expansions.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
So I got it guys, we take one expansion pack, and we just split that shit into 52 pieces and sell each one for 15$ each week. It's brilliant. Combined with door fee that gets your game to recognize that you bought it, we're gonna be able to make ten more rooms filled with cubicles to crawl through while the pleb she employees work tirelessly on the lesbian Puerto Rican two-soul unicorn expansion for WoW

PeteBull

Beat story at lvl 50(coz did a bit of sidequests ;P), even finished that hard af dungeon that lets u change difficulty to torment, so far 0 forced p2w mechanics, all those mtx costumes are purely cosmetics, that no1 sane cares about, will let u guys know if something changes but so far its solid singleplayer experience, hack and slash with good story/fun gameplay.

If u play on lowest difficulty story alone w/o any side missions is easily 20h, if u go to normal(called veteran here, i recommend it if u are diablo series fan or/and experienced player who is capable of learning bossmechanics) then its around 30h.

Im ur neighbourhood GAAS shit/always online hater but even as one, i tell u at least for now i enjoy d4 a lot, ofc we cant be sure in the future if and how many p2w mechanics blizz gonna introduce, so can just tell u how it looks for now- solid 0 gaas singple player fun experience.

Top Bottom