• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV | Review Thread

What score do you think Diablo IV will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 10 -20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20 -30%

• 30-40%

• 40 -50%

• 50-60%

• 60-70%

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 163 55.8%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 82 28.1%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 12 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tmlDan

gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

Thabass

I am holding off on this one. So many issues with review stuff and confusion, save wipes, and connections. The closer we got, the more things got jumbled and then it bumped up against 3 indie games I promised to review so I said screw it.

Thank you for being honest.

demigod

Can't be any fucking worse than D3. I hated that story campaign. Going from the beta what we saw of the story campaign it will be a million times more interesting.
Oof, banned again. Anyways Diablo 3 campaign was shittastic. I beat the game and never looked back.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Damn, reviews are looking great. I really enjoyed the betas, and couldn't wait to play more.

Captn

Can't wait to QA that left mouse button now!

How long would the main campaign + side quests be?

Thnx

PeteBull

The problem is, most ppl who played D2 at the time it came out have a very different view on it. At the time it was all pretty new, and there were not many games around like it. Those people have serious nostalgia for it, which blinds a lot of people. I played hundreds of hours of Goldeneye on N64, but playing the recent re-release was only cool for reliving those gaming memories, its been done much better since but no shooter rivals that feeling I had playing it on release on the 64.
I play d2r to this very day so not nostalgia, and yup i enjoyed d3 a lot, but only with reaper of souls xpack and only for first 300h when i maxed everything out on every class :p
So my score for d2r(especially modded which fixes tons of stuff normal game still lacks) is not nostalgia glasses score, proof i played well over 1500h in it durning last 1,5 year, not many games can keep me excited for so long :p

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Your opinion is your opinion and if it's not fun for you, that's fine. But how can you say it doesn't lack challenge? You basically played the equivalent of Diablo 2 Act 1 normal. And yeah, D2 Act1 normal ain't a challenge either.
Nah, this is like Baby Journalist mode compared to D2 Act 1 Normal.

Build variety is very good here. Also is a lot more methodical and strategic now.
Then the beta completely failed to showcase any of that. There was no strategic thinking or methodical planning. It was just face to keyboard and maybe using a healing potion every few hours.

As for reviews - I don't' really trust any of them. Will wait to see what the general Diablo Community thinks. Reviewers also gave Diablo III 80s-90s 11 years ago and that game speaks for itself.

Kacho

The best diablo oh fuck off
I LOVE d2 and d3 each in their own way. But to spout shit like this i need a minimum of 200 hours

And 1 year of patches
Review hyperbole probably won’t age well. We’ll have a better idea in a couple weeks when people have had significant time with it.

The Fextralife review is pretty good. Details how expansive the end game content is which is exciting.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't think you can play offline at all
You can play solo without paying for any online service (PS+ or Xbox Live). You only need to be connected to the internet.
What? I never played Diablo but I always thought these games were single players with optional co-op, why it needs to be online only? Are they MMOs or GaaS games?

why is it so hard make offline mode optional? I mean Souls series also has online features but you always have the option to play them completely offline, why other can’t do the same?

Last edited:

amigastar

Still no couch coop for PC right? If not, deal breaker for me and gonna buy on PS5.
No couch coop on PC, thats right.
OT:
can't wait for the 6th June but i'm not gonna buy the digital deluxe edition so for me it's the 6th.
Diablo 4 will get me through the wait for Path of Exile 2 very nicely.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Thank you Jesus for not sucking balls.

Reviewers also gave D3 high scores and look how that turned out. I would suggest waiting a week or two to see what the community thinks properly and not jump to conclusions from mindless "journalists" and console warring fanboys.

What? I never played Diablo but I always thought these games were single players with optional co-op, why it needs to be online only? Are they MMOs or GaaS games?

why is it so hard make offline mode optional? I mean Souls series also has online features but you always have the option to play them completely offline, why other can’t do the same?
Online so they can control what you do, instantly change drop rates, and push MTX/BP/Seasons. It is fucking retarded. It sucked with D3 and it sucks here. As for is D4 a GAAS? Yes. Yes it is.

Last edited:

Kacho

D2 content creator Dbrunski gives his thoughts

Says upgrading your stuff during the campaign is pointless. Figured D4 would be a lot like D3 in that regard. Early game is basically pointless. Just rush to the end so you can play the real game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Says upgrading your stuff during the campaign is pointless. Figured D4 would be a lot like D3 in that regard. Early game is basically pointless. Just rush to the end so you can play the real game.

Why even have the "early game" if it is completely pointless? This is why they should allow the player to choose whatever difficulty they want and reward the player for playing on harder difficulties from the outset. Get them into the core loop faster, instead of wasting the player's time with needless/pointless filler.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I mean just based on the stress test, they give you leveled equipment with open arms lol. Upgrading is probably pointless unless you REALLY want to keep something leveled.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Where does he say this?

Reviewers also gave D3 high scores and look how that turned out. I would suggest waiting a week or two to see what the community thinks properly and not jump to conclusions from mindless "journalists" and console warring fanboys.

Online so they can control what you do, instantly change drop rates, and push MTX/BP/Seasons. It is fucking retarded. It sucked with D3 and it sucks here. As for is D4 a GAAS? Yes. Yes it is.
Why are you in this thread making up stuff that makes no sense? Trolls coming out of the woodworks I see.

Also, thanks for insulting "journalists" including me. People who review games early games are not all terrible people. Yes, there are some awful ones out there, but not all of us. Stop with this cynical stuff man.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Never played a Diablo game before. Kinda want to get this, but I feel like it would ruin my life.

Last edited:

Kacho

Why even have the "early game" if it is completely pointless? This is why they should allow the player to choose whatever difficulty they want and reward the player for playing on harder difficulties from the outset. Get them into the core loop faster, instead of wasting the player's time with needless/pointless filler.
Tradition I guess. The sense of having a character journey, even if it's all an illusion. Vanilla D3 didn't have that problem obviously, but when I play a new season in D3 I'm always looking for a boost to 70 so I can bypass the early game.

I mean just based on the stress test, they give you leveled equipment with open arms lol. Upgrading is probably pointless unless you REALLY want to keep something leveled.
Yep. Seems to have the same system that D3 had where it would feed you upgrades regularly. Didn't get something in an hour? Boom here you go!

Not a fan of it personally, but I'll still have a good time.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Barb felt decent, I played on T1 on Hardcore. T2 is NOT worth it early game, T2 is only good when you're making a second character and you already have a to of extra talent points earned from the renown by doing dungeons/lilith shrines. The real game begins around level 50 after you hit Tier 3, that's where the REAL BIG upgrades come in.

Managed to kill the Butcher TWICE on hardcore with my Barbarian, but I had a very defensive build with Call of the Ancients carrying the damage. Barbarian/Rogue will be my 2 mains.
Thank you as decent is good enough for me as I don't care what is overpowered this week is likely nerfed next week I just didn't want to feel totally gimped at end game.

I too plan on having 2 real mains but if its anything like I did in World of Warcraft they will all be my "mains" depending on what I feel like playing

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yep. Has zero purpose existing. It is why I am waiting to see the general community for Diablo's views after many players get 100-300 hours into it before I pull the trigger or not. Beta was shit, but I also thought the same for a few other games that I ended up really enjoying. However between the terrible Beta, the awful MTX (fuck off "its only cosmetic" folks), the Battle Pass, and the Always Online? Not looking good. Reviewers also have had very little in terms of trust these past few years. Again, Diablo 3 was supposedly just as good in their eyes.

Top Bottom