• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Dead Space Remake This Is What A Best-In-Class Remake Looks Like

Banned
Wow, just installed the patch, looks like a new game on PS5. How the fuck devs let it come out in the state it was in...

Hope DF updates their video after this patch, there was clearly a bug on the PS5 version. Not sure if VRS is completely disabled or they simply fixed it, but I was looking around looking for VRS artifacts and found none.

I wonder if they disabled it on both systems or only on PS5... also this has to affect performance in some way as well. so lower dynamic resolutions or lower framerates

GymWolf

giphy.webp

TLOU is a 1:1 rebuild in a new engine.
I wouldn't even call it a Remake.
But no I'm not sure why you brought that up.

Dead Space
they changed text logs to let you know there was gay/lesbians onboard, dialogue changes to include hints of sexual preferences, change genders, race swaps, inclusive toilets signs 😂
I mean it's all pretty stupid stuff really that they should have left alone because it adds nothing and was okay as it is.
There is no doubt that someone was gay on the Ishimura in 2008 version, we didn't need it pointing out because nobody cares.
It's still great and doesn't deter your enjoyment, but you have to question what state of mind the people that saw the need to change it in the first place was.
I think changes to Nichole & Johnson would have been fine, but it doesn't stop there so it becomes just tad more noticeable.
I still recommend it because the team has done a fantastic job.

Lol...before calling that thing a masterclass let's just hope that greeedycom is not gonna make you pay extra for some parts or the game like they did with re2 remake...if they don't decide to erase them to cut short like they did with re3 remake.

Capcom has an high chance to fuck up something dude, fingers crossed:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Pedro Motta

I wonder if they disabled it on both systems or only on PS5... also this has to affect performance in some way as well. so lower dynamic resolutions or lower framerates

Played one hour yesterday after the patch is out (including 2 mid boss fights), and the game is noticibly sharper, no traces of the resolution/performance dropping whatsoever. But we'll see in the revised DF video.

TrebleShot

From Reddit:

MYQquIp.jpg

Yeah.. they weren't lying. Another game entirely.
This is great to see, but as you can see its gone from utter garbage and unacceptable to passable but still not PS5 next gen quality. Perhaps Im spoiled by the PC version but I expected it a little sharper, perhaps it isnt using a form of upscaling, the image softness reminds me of Naughty Dog and how they just allow it run at native 1440p with no upscaling and allow the tv/PS5 to upscale or "stretch" the pixels over more res.

Pedro Motta

Because devs are people , not robots and people make mistakes .. that’s how .. doesn’t really matter to me , but how and how fast they fix it .

And they seem to fix fast , so I’ll wait with my play through until this weekend .
Don't be such a fairy about what I said. They are human yes, but a lot of them and many eyes on the screen before the game is released. This is not a random bug that could be hard for them to replicate, ITS THERE ALL THE TIME IN THE FUCKING IMAGE.
That's why I asked, how the fuck...

Tomeru

While this is a great fucking remake, it still feels old to play and doesn't look next gen at all. It's clear as day it could've been much better and fleshed out, but it stayed pretty true to the og.

I really thought it'll look much much nicer.

ratburger

This is correct, disregarding the edge aliasing issue which seems to be fixed with a patch the image on the right looks visibly softer.
Oliver mentions it in his video (Patreon only) that it's probably the result of hardware VRS, which can cause textures to look blurry and coarsely-sampled.

ratburger

Quick summary of DF Oliver's now outdated review, though performance numbers should remain relevant as removing VRS isn't going to boost FPS.

Series S - 30 FPS
  • 720p to 900p render resolution
  • 1440p FSR 2 output resolution
  • lots of dips during intense cutscenes
Series X/PlayStation 5 - 60 FPS (Performance)
  • 936p to 1008p render resolution
  • occasional one-off dips during gameplay for Xbox
  • larger, more frequent dips during gameplay for PS5, but still not too common
Series X/PlayStation 5 - 30 FPS (Quality)
  • 1296p render resolution
  • 2160p FSR 2 output resolution
  • stable 30 FPS on both consoles
"Beyond the basic frame rate numbers, there was one other issue that I wanted to raise which affects all console platforms on occasion. During traversal, the game can momentarily pause for a few frames in select instances, like when going down this ramp in Chapter 3. This isn't reflected in the frame rate graph because the game is still technically updating the image each frame if you do look closely, but it otherwise behaves like a short stutter."

Romulus

I'll give it go in a few months, let them fix the IQ and get it on sale. I'm in no rush to play a 10 year old game.

CGNoire

The guy has become a fucking joke. A parody of himself.

At this point id take Alex over this dude.
Yep remember how HFW (a crossgen game) in DF video was titled a "PS5 Masterclass"? There a fucking joke. They always avoid the obvious elephants in the room and do word and phrasing gymnastics not to upset those devs who keep giving them access. There just another marketing arm of the devs. They could easily bring awareness to "why" game tech is so far behind where it should be this gen but they rather keep cashing those checks .....and making stupid faces on there weekly stream thumbnails.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yep remember how HFW (a crossgen game) in DF video was titled a "PS5 Masterclass"? There a fucking joke. They always avoid the obvious elephants in the room and do word and phrasing gymnastics not to upset those devs who keep giving them access. There just another marketing arm of the devs. They could easily bring awareness to "why" game tech is so far behind where it should be this gen but they rather keep cashing those checks .....and making stupid faces on there weekly stream thumbnails.
lol yep I remember that. He clearly does it whenever he gets involved with devs for his videos. He was in contact with Motive over this video, same thing with GG for HFW. Completely glanced over the disastrous IQ issues of the Performance mode in Horizon FW. Cant piss off your meal ticket.

Doczu

Dead Space
they changed text logs to let you know there was gay/lesbians onboard, dialogue changes to include hints of sexual preferences, change genders, race swaps, inclusive toilets signs 😂
I mean it's all pretty stupid stuff really that they should have left alone because it adds nothing and was okay as it is.
There is no doubt that someone was gay on the Ishimura in 2008 version, we didn't need it pointing out because nobody cares.
Yuck, why does [CURRENT YEAR] have to infest classic games?

Banned
Does Xbox even need a patch? Game looks/runs great on Series X even at launch.

while the VRS on Xbox is miles better, no VRS is still preferable if it doesn't affect performance to any meaningful degree.

the bigger issue the game has imo is the absolutely awful looking screenspace reflections on rough surfaces 🤮
it's also one of the first things you see coming out of your ship... not a great way to start a game, having such a glorified graphics glitch right in your face

Last edited:

yamaci17

Quick summary of DF Oliver's now outdated review, though performance numbers should remain relevant as removing VRS isn't going to boost FPS.

Series S - 30 FPS
"Beyond the basic frame rate numbers, there was one other issue that I wanted to raise which affects all console platforms on occasion. During traversal, the game can momentarily pause for a few frames in select instances, like when going down this ramp in Chapter 3. This isn't reflected in the frame rate graph because the game is still technically updating the image each frame if you do look closely, but it otherwise behaves like a short stutter."
these resolution targets are pathetic.and has nothing to do with ps5/xbox sx power... its just blatantly bad GPU optimization.

JackMcGunns

That's what the dev told John.

I'm sorry but VRS so far just sucks. In every game I saw it, it just degraded image quality which is something that can be done with simple resolution scaling.

VRS Tier 1 maybe. Series X is using Tier 2 and looks better in the 2x and 3x comparison.

MikeM

Series S - 30 FPS
Animated GIF

Doom_Infinite

Neo Member
This is a bad idea I believe. There isn't much you can change in DS2 as most of the changes and improvements in this remake were pulled from that game. Unlike the original DS2 still plays as good as any modern game. I also think if Motive rewrite the scrip and change the dynamic of some of the characters (like they did with remake) then it's gonna piss a lot of people off as the story of the second is regarded as flawless by fans. The only way DS2 remake can work imo is if it's done like TLOU Part 1 where it's just a visual upgrade.
I would be ok with just a visual upgrade remake.

Top Bottom