• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Best Game Graphics of 2021 - PC, Xbox, PlayStation - Another Amazing Year!

assurdum

Banned
I keep waiting to see this scale down and I still haven’t. What are you seeing that I’m not?

Hope they improve the whole game structure because the first had a lot of unforgivable issues in my opinion. It's literally impossible to me handle the inventory system properly, I was always out of the ammo when I encountered the machines with particular elementals weakness. Never understood how to handle it and still piss me off. Let's not talk how terrible is to check the holoscan, I barely get the weak points of the machines showed in the graphic interface.

Last edited:
Nice looking and best looking game are a little different. What were you going to say? That it doesn’t look good. You’d sound completely foolish instead of 90% foolish
Completely foolish like when say anything about the Xbox Frank? Please. You again made up more nonsense. Bottom line I said the game looks nice you make up stuff about me being annoyed by it. Please stop listening to the voices in your head.
Coming from someone who derailed this very thread with bullshit? I normally don’t doubt what people say when claiming to own both systems because it’s only $500. But, if you are actually in possession of a PS5 you don’t really own it. You don’t use it or buy games for it because you’ve become accustomed to not paying for games and prefer a curated list that have been chosen for you.
I simply said the nonsense that people like yourself peddle should be over based on reasonable conclusions DF has. But here you are pushing conspiracy theories and have the nerve to talk about me? It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. DF has always been fair to all the platform holders, this video is just the latest evidence. In fact they didn't even review Pyschonauts 2 which happened to one of highest rated games this year. I suppose you think it's to keep sleuths such as yourself off their case?

You have no idea what games I own for PS5 but your ignorance has never stopped you before so that's not new. I curate my own games list no matter what platform I'm on so who knows what you are talking about this time.
What’s an Xbox thread? An OT? Or are you talking about the gamepass ad threads or the series s ad threads? Youre the one with a comment doubting the list because 2 games that don’t belong weren’t on it. That’s bad faith.
First off Forza Horizon 5 is a cross gen multiplatform title just like Pyschonauts 2. Both came out this year. DF talked about Forza and skipped Pyschonauts so as usual you are wrong.

Now let's follow your silly line of thinking shall we. It's a game pass 'ad' thread. What does that have to do with a guy who doesn't have game pass nor an Xbox? Great question! Well when you show up you start talking nonsense like game pass is a $1 for 3 years. Completely wrong and after being corrected numerous times you never quite figured it out.

Now the XSS threads. Again you don't own one nor plan on buying one. What's your contribution? Lies about MS 'promising' things about the system NO hardware manufacturer ever promises. Like all the graphical features in a game will be on the XSS. It's up to the developer Frank. MS isn't responsible for what a developer chooses to do. You just post to stir crap up, attempting to defend your favorite company even if it isn't under attack. How sad is that?

Neither game pass nor the XSS have anything to do with Sony yet you still feel the need to peddle falsehoods and make bad faith arguments. MS even puts some of their games on PlayStation! Imagine that! Sony will be ok man. They are still the most popular gaming brand next to Nintendo. All the companies can co-exist without your 'defense' so why not go play that awesome PS5 you have and not worry about systems you'll never own from companies you don't support?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What happens if you are using a monitor? Also, is this flickering absolutely confirmed during gameplay because I just don’t see it.

returnal is an amazing game, but could deffo do with VRR as it tanks quite allot and is often unstable but that is understandable from the random nature of the game.
Mainly impacts current televisions. As described below.
To add, it's because the refresh is at a constant 120hz and the voltage isn't meant to be variable when the refresh drops below that point. That's why the blacks came out like an ips screen. Supposedly 2022 OLEDs will have an actual hardware revision to address this once and for all

Post pictures of before and now to see.

Earlier this year

screenshot.horizon-forbidden-west.1920x1080.2021-06-03.16.jpg

This week

FHPTxSTWQAAi-rf

XFqHtXEh.jpg

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I might not be knowledgeable about it that much, but pc is much different breed.

Considering you can tinker your graphic setting for pc games, unlike consoles.
That's irrelevant.

The game uses Unreal Engine 5, ssd as a minimum on PC and is current gen only.

Bodes well for Xbox and capable PC's.

Pedro Motta

Hope they improve the whole game structure because the first had a lot of unforgivable issues in my opinion. It's literally impossible to me handle the inventory system properly, I was always out of the ammo when I encountered the machines with particular elementals weakness. Never understood how to handle it and still piss me off. Let's not talk how terrible is to check the holoscan, I barely get the weak points of the machines showed in the graphic interface.
Get good David Jaffe.

FrankWza

Completely foolish like when say anything about the Xbox Frank? Please. You again made up more nonsense. Bottom line I said the game looks nice you make up stuff about me being annoyed by it. Please stop listening to the voices in your head.

I simply said the nonsense that people like yourself peddle should be over based on reasonable conclusions DF has. But here you are pushing conspiracy theories and have the nerve to talk about me? It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. DF has always been fair to all the platform holders, this video is just the latest evidence. In fact they didn't even review Pyschonauts 2 which happened to one of highest rated games this year. I suppose you think it's to keep sleuths such as yourself off their case?

You have no idea what games I own for PS5 but your ignorance has never stopped you before so that's not new. I curate my own games list no matter what platform I'm on so who knows what you are talking about this time.

First off Forza Horizon 5 is a cross gen multiplatform title just like Pyschonauts 2. Both came out this year. DF talked about Forza and skipped Pyschonauts so as usual you are wrong.

Now let's follow your silly line of thinking shall we. It's a game pass 'ad' thread. What does that have to do with a guy who doesn't have game pass nor an Xbox? Great question! Well when you show up you start talking nonsense like game pass is a $1 for 3 years. Completely wrong and after being corrected numerous times you never quite figured it out.

Now the XSS threads. Again you don't own one nor plan on buying one. What's your contribution? Lies about MS 'promising' things about the system NO hardware manufacturer ever promises. Like all the graphical features in a game will be on the XSS. It's up to the developer Frank. MS isn't responsible for what a developer chooses to do. You just post to stir crap up, attempting to defend your favorite company even if it isn't under attack. How sad is that?

Neither game pass nor the XSS have anything to do with Sony yet you still feel the need to peddle falsehoods and make bad faith arguments. MS even puts some of their games on PlayStation! Imagine that! Sony will be ok man. They are still the most popular gaming brand next to Nintendo. All the companies can co-exist without your 'defense' so why not go play that awesome PS5 you have and not worry about systems you'll never own from companies you don't support?
seth meyers lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

kingfey

Banned
From 52% to 58% in 2 hour run for spiderman. Gonna need more time to finish the game. Gotta crack it down tomorrow. Hope I can finish the game this Monday. Need to start GOT.

DeepSpace5D

depends on what the contract is. Ps5 will come in 6 month.

The problem is, the game is a pc game. Consoles will have some issues with it.
I believe Stalker 2 has a timed exclusivity period of 3 months on Xbox consoles if the leaked document from the Epic v Apple case is still accurate.

Riky

$MSFT
Yeah, looks like VG Tech and John from DF made it up.

You failed to read what was said as usual, he was claiming DF said it was something to do with the PS5 GPU, I simply asked for a link where they said this as I don't remember them saying that.
None was forthcoming as he's made it up again.

You've also got totally the wrong game as he said the last COD as in Vanguard and you're quoting stuff from Black Ops Cold War.

Last edited:

Md Ray

You failed to read what was said as usual, he was claiming DF said it was something to do with the PS5 GPU, I simply asked for a link where they said this as I don't remember them saying that.

You've also got totally the wrong game as he said the last COD as in Vanguard and you're quoting stuff from Black Ops Cold War.
I'm pretty sure assurdum assurdum was talking about COD Black Ops Cold War here, if not then ignore.

Last edited:

Arioco

Well in the last COD analysis, if I remember right, they said FPS issue on ps5 was caused because GPU is less powerful. VGTech later reported such FPS hitching were basically a bug. Though it's always Tom behind such imprecise incompetent assessment.

The problem was that the Dynamic Resolution Scaling was bugged on PS5, so sometimes it didn't kick in when it should. If you restarted the checkpoint the DSR could start working properly again and that's why the drops only happened some times. Just another bug, I'm sure it got fixed long ago.

Yes. That is when engine's potential is being produced.

Last of us 2, forza horizon 5 on Xbox one, RD2, battlefield 5.

As the devs experiment on the engine, they will get more creative with it.

Do they have the same visuals as UE5?

You saw hell blade 2, Stalker 2, matrix awakening demo.

We havent seen any engine, which can do these visuals. Closest we got is ratchet and returnal.

I don't think it's really a question of engines, moreso a mixture of time, budget, and dev manpower along with if the game is being developed with cross-gen in mind or not.

Most engines today, especially professional ones, are very robust and well-documented. Whether it's UE5, Decima or iD Tech etc., the engines already support the featuresets for next-gen technologies. But that doesn't mean anything if you don't have big enough teams, with big enough budgets or enough manpower, developing a game, especially if they're also held back by 8th-gen support being a requirement.

Most of the best looking games last gen, like RDR2 and TLOU2, they got that way because of dev time, budget, and manpower labor, all of which were justified due to the size of the install bases. While new tricks were figured with the actual hardware I'm sure, I really doubt that constituted the majority of what advances we saw graphically with games like those. And it'll be the same this generation too, so the sooner the consoles can build up a large enough install base, the sooner the need for 8th-gen hardware can be dropped, the sooner you'll see budgets and team sizes given to push the production quality of AAA, current-gen only games from more devs (3P teams in particular; 1P teams can usually justify making this shift earlier since they only need to provide for the console their platform holder owns).

The posting is getting real dumb now.

No 3D platformer in gaming history even comes to R and C RA.

A argument can also be made that it could be the overall best period.

Is R&C really even a "platformer" in the purest sense? It has platforming elements yes but platforming is definitely not the main focus of the series, never has been.

On a technical level it can probably be argued Rift Apart's the best-looking platformer-like out there, agreed. Artistically? Much tougher to call. As good as it looks artistically, and as well as it pulls off a Pixar-like aesthetic, there's a stylistic charm to certain Nintendo platformers like Yoshi's Woolly World or Kirby's Epic Yarn that I think is more appealing and inventive within a creative sense.

Sony has forspoken and Ghostwire but neither are going to push any graphics or tech boundaries. HFW will probably look better than both of those games. What’s scheduled to come out on another console that is going to be a graphical or tech showcase in 2022?

Starfield is one for sure. Also I think it's basically been confirmed that the next Forza is coming next year and that's 9th-gen only. I think the next BOTW and that new Kirby game they showed this year are at least going to be great artstyle showcases.

There's definitely a decent bit coming on other platforms 2022 that'll compete very well with games like H:FW in either artstyle, technical, or both. Even on just PS, there's GoW Ragnarok to consider and probably GT7 (it's looking better since the September showing).

I keep waiting to see this scale down and I still haven’t. What are you seeing that I’m not?

Looks like they gave her some cake, that's an upgrade in my book 👍

I don't think it's really a question of engines, moreso a mixture of time, budget, and dev manpower along with if the game is being developed with cross-gen in mind or not.

Most engines today, especially professional ones, are very robust and well-documented. Whether it's UE5, Decima or iD Tech etc., the engines already support the featuresets for next-gen technologies. But that doesn't mean anything if you don't have big enough teams, with big enough budgets or enough manpower, developing a game, especially if they're also held back by 8th-gen support being a requirement.

Most of the best looking games last gen, like RDR2 and TLOU2, they got that way because of dev time, budget, and manpower labor, all of which were justified due to the size of the install bases. While new tricks were figured with the actual hardware I'm sure, I really doubt that constituted the majority of what advances we saw graphically with games like those. And it'll be the same this generation too, so the sooner the consoles can build up a large enough install base, the sooner the need for 8th-gen hardware can be dropped, the sooner you'll see budgets and team sizes given to push the production quality of AAA, current-gen only games from more devs (3P teams in particular; 1P teams can usually justify making this shift earlier since they only need to provide for the console their platform holder owns).

Is R&C really even a "platformer" in the purest sense? It has platforming elements yes but platforming is definitely not the main focus of the series, never has been.

On a technical level it can probably be argued Rift Apart's the best-looking platformer-like out there, agreed. Artistically? Much tougher to call. As good as it looks artistically, and as well as it pulls off a Pixar-like aesthetic, there's a stylistic charm to certain Nintendo platformers like Yoshi's Woolly World or Kirby's Epic Yarn that I think is more appealing and inventive within a creative sense.

Starfield is one for sure. Also I think it's basically been confirmed that the next Forza is coming next year and that's 9th-gen only. I think the next BOTW and that new Kirby game they showed this year are at least going to be great artstyle showcases.

There's definitely a decent bit coming on other platforms 2022 that'll compete very well with games like H:FW in either artstyle, technical, or both. Even on just PS, there's GoW Ragnarok to consider and probably GT7 (it's looking better since the September showing).

Looks like they gave her some cake, that's an upgrade in my book 👍

Accurate, she’s a red head

assurdum

Banned

No I'm referring to Black Ops. I have totally forgot COD Vanguard even existed, such insignificant game in terms of tech graphic. But as always you are a master to manipulate the conversation in your favour before to admit you were wrong in something.

Last edited:
I think the high res textures captures the “crafted world” aesthetic much more. I can just look at this image and know how everything feels

large.jpg

It's not just about texture resolution tho, not for me anyway. It's also about art direction; Nintendo's is simply a lot stronger with the way the yarn aesthetic's done in Woolly World and Epic Yarn.

But hey, maybe that's just my opinion.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I imagine theres a alternate timeline where people are begging for sony to make a mascot platformer like 3d world and saying how much it could capture audiences in japan and in the west like the former.

Here we are in the main timeline and no one really gives a shit about it, despite it being really good.
This so much. People will overlook games like this and claim there's no diversity smh

ZywyPL

Banned
Lego Builder Jouney is the next best stuff after NV Marbles demo, say what you want but the Legos just feel so fucking real it's not even funny, I'm actually shocked the game barely gets any recognition at all when it comes to its visual representation.

Love seeing how The Ascent is getting recognized lately as well in the press tho, the amount of details and objects density is pretty much second to none.

Same for Kena, absolutely lovely looking game, polished more than many big budget AAA games with their inconsistency.

Sadly F.I.S.T. seems to be missing on this sorts of lists, while it's also a looker, it's certainly prettier than Metroid that's for sure.

Top Bottom