• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney acquiring LucasFilm for 4.05 billion dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's debatable after Cars 2's lukewarm reviews and Brave being average.

Cars 1 had lukewarm reviews which is why a sequel definitely seemed like a cash grab. I don't know if you can count this as Disney influence or the cost of expansion. Pixar has been growing since the acquisition but they've retained their control.

Dali

Wow. This is great news. Would love to see more of the star wars universe brought to life via big budget theatrical releases.

GloveSlap

Disney is suggesting they can't sell the original trilogy (or 1-6) without dealing with 20th century fox or indiana without dealing with paramount

Yeah, I am listening to the conference too, and that bit gave me a bad feeling. You could tell the question by that person was just a thinly veiled attempt to ask if they could release the unaltered trilogy.

Aselith

Kathleen Kennedy

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (executive producer)
The Last Airbender (executive producer)

ughhh

Munich (2005) (producer)
War of the Worlds (2005) (producer)
Ponyo (2009) (U.S. version co-producer)
The Adventures of Tintin (2011) (producer)
Artificial Intelligence: A.I. (2001) (producer)

She might have a few stinkers in there but she has a lot more amazing films than bad ones. Generally, it seems she was producing stuff that Lucas was involved in. That being the case, Lucas' garbage became her garbage by extension. You can't really blame her for that.

dabig2

What an awesome bit of news. Everybody wins. Disney, the fans, and Lucas.

I feel bad for Fox though. Maybe Disney can work something out with them...in exchange for Spider-man's movie rights :D

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They are

Here's to hoping they won't end like The Secret Lab and Image Movers!

I forgot about Image Movers a minute ago. Maybe I was associating them with Sony for some reason.
That makes four.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Who has the rights to the original theatrical prints?!

well... disney (unless lucas burned them)

they just can't release them without co-operation of 20th century fox

fox is going to try to hold onto this big time now that they announced new films.

Sora_Star_Wars_Final_Version_by_bluejake01.jpg

This can now happen.

Who has the rights to the original theatrical prints?!

Lucasfilm. 20th Century Fox is the distributor. Back in the prequel days, 20th Century Fox admitted that the deal they have with Lucas is actually terrible financially. Lucas gets most of everything.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If only they could bring Star Wars back to its original glory. By which I mean the small period in 1996 when it was the original films but cleaned up and made to look nice, before Episode I came along and totally fucked it all up by introducing the originals to the idea of "retconning".

Mxrz

Wow, first Marvel, now Lucasfilm. Disney is really going after the young male market hard.

1. So, no more 20th Century Fox logo before the SW opening crawl in Episode VII? And no more Paramount mountain segue for future Indiana Jones films? :(
2. And does this mean that the CG Clone Wars series will move from Cartoon Network to Disney XD?

Oh shit Indy.

Didn't think about him. They'll do new movies with the fucktit guy from transformers. Gaahhhh.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Interesting, when it comes to games Disney want to focus on social and mobile and might license stuff for consoles now.

FoneBone

From their investor call: there are "incumbrances" on the Indiana Jones franchise, and its value was not factored into Disney's valuation of LucasFilm

I haven't really looked into the story in detail, but this is how I imagine it went down.

"Well, we have such a difficult time marketing our own space filled adventures like 'John Carter'... What can we do..." *they look solemny towards the LucasFilm building accross the street, then grin*

entremet

The only thing that bothers me about this are Disney's lawyers. They're tons of Star Wars related spoof material out there. I hope they don't get cease and desist notices. Hopefully, the 1st amendment protect that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom