• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney acquiring LucasFilm for 4.05 billion dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is crazzzzzy news. My jaw dropped when I saw the headline. Still don't know what to think.

On the one hand, I have to admit that I trust Disney to make a better Star Wars film than Lucas... They've more or less down right by the Marvel flicks.
On the other hand, I really don't like a company like Disney acquiring... well... everything. Just on principal.

Disney has learned how to acquire IPs and leave the creative control to originators or others.

Seems entirely likely that Lucas is just getting older and just is tired and doesn't want to deal with it anymore. It's not like he's not already outrageously rich. It may have been a comparatively low price, but what is a man already going to do with that much money?

I suppose though you would think he would have liked to keep creative control over his baby and his legacy. Disney is fine with making movies but I just don't think the overkill of movies method is good for the Star Wars license.

This is crazzzzzy news. My jaw dropped when I saw the headline. Still don't know what to think.

On the one hand, I have to admit that I trust Disney to make a better Star Wars film than Lucas... They've more or less down right by the Marvel flicks.
On the other hand, I really don't like a company like Disney acquiring... well... everything. Just on principal.

Soon, there will just be one company, and you can't complain about the rates because they're the only ones in town!

"I am altering the deal; pray I do not alter it any further!"

Tobor

Jesus Christ!

Now that Lucas doesn't own it anymore, can we please FFS get the real unfucked with original movies on BluRay? Disney, you're my only hope!

Omiee

This seems crazy to me.

Disney bought Pixar for $7.4 billion back in 2006.
Disney buys Lucasfilm and ILM for $4 billion in 2012.

dont forget about marvel which is going to be huge for them as well with thor iron man and other movie's

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I know it is silly, but I would love for someone calling in on the conference call to ask about the EU universe etc., I know it wont happen, but it would be nice to know.
I can't imagine them throwing it all away though.

Sec0nd

I... this... I'm... Man...

This news is insane. I have no idea what to think about this news. I never expected to be any more Star Wars films. If they can give the seem treatment to the new Star Wars films as did they to the Marvel films it could be amazing. But for some reason I'm scared they will ruin it even more. But considering the poor prequels it would be pretty hard to do I guess.

Oh man... I'm so excited but also anxious about what they will do with Star Wars.

Now that the initial craziness of this deal has lessened for me, I'm starting to wonder if this is just a strategic move on Disney's part to expand the parks and preserve/expand Pixar. For the parks, they now have Disney, Pixar, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and Avatar. Looking at the world wide box office, there's several Dreamworks movies, and Harry Potter, that now are not affiliated with the parks.

And, with Pixar, the ILM staff and technology won't be in competition like they were with Rango and possible future endeavors.

Mxrz

Wow.

Man.

Not sure what to think. Probably not going to see another good movie, but then we weren't likely going to see that anyway. I wonder if the Extended Universe stuff will be phased out.

Talon

dont forget about marvel which is going to be huge for them as well with thor iron man and other movie's
I'm talking about the price. Seems like Lucasfilm and ILM are HUGELY undervalued by comparison. Or Pixar was ridiculously overvalued.

nmLwP.jpg

do you know if ILM is included in the deal.

Aselith

Kathleen Kennedy having creative control won't help any more than Lucas having control will...

How not? Lucas has produced garbage movies after Star Wars. He should not be directing. Now that someone else is in charge they can get a competent director in the chair. All of his work that has been directed by someone else has been at least good to great.

This is what Star Wars needed...Lucas gone but with a bit of input.

I'm talking about the price. Seems like Lucasfilm and ILM are HUGELY undervalued by comparison. Or Pixar was ridiculously overvalued.

It's probably a little of both although to be fair Pixar pumps out box office hits like it's nothing. I definitely think Lucasfilm is worth significantly more than 4 billion.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
George Lucas is good people. He supports The Giving Pledge and will donate the majority of his wealth to philantrophy. This is a smart move. He cashes in while his companies are still worth something and ensures the legacy of his creations. He might despise Hollywood but ultimately he most likely wishes to see his movies live on. Disney seems like the best company to make that happen.

Disney knew the value of Pixar merchandising most likely. Huge market. Bigger than the movies when done right, and makes money years after the movies are shelved. Cars toys were selling for years after the first movie. The toy boom after the second one apparently earned 8 billion worldwide.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Wow, first Marvel, now Lucasfilm. Disney is really going after the young male market hard.

1. So, no more 20th Century Fox logo before the SW opening crawl in Episode VII? And no more Paramount mountain segue for future Indiana Jones films? :(
2. And does this mean that the CG Clone Wars series will move from Cartoon Network to Disney XD?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I would really enjoy a StarWars themed land for WDW instead of Pandora or whatever the hell they are calling it.

isny

napkin dispenser
How not? Lucas has produced garbage movies after Star Wars. He should not be directing. Now that someone else is in charge they can get a competent director in the chair. All of his work that has been directed by someone else has been at least good to great.

This is what Star Wars needed...Lucas gone but with a bit of input.

Kathleen Kennedy

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (executive producer)
The Last Airbender (executive producer)

ughhh

RSP

Man, it looks like Disney really has something to explain (going by the Conference Call that is going on right now) for buying one of the words most well known franchises.

When Facebook purchases an App that has been doing well for about a year for a billion dollars, nobody really cares.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well, if Disney is buying up all the other parts of my childhood, I guess Nintendo is next in three years.

ChaosXVI

I just can't...what? This is just completely out of left field! This makes Bayonetta 2 on Wii U look like...like nothing!

Still, with Lucas not in complete control over the films (though retaining some), I am at least interested to see where this goes.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Disney is suggesting they can't sell the original trilogy (or 1-6) without dealing with 20th century fox or indiana without dealing with paramount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom