• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney acquiring LucasFilm for 4.05 billion dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
P.S. I doubt the movie will be called Episode 7, and I really doubt it will ready by 2015. It's probably just bullcrap thrown at Disney's stockholders, for now.

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
Star Wars toys in Toy Story 4?!

Yoda and TonTons in Monsters Inc 3?!

Speeder Bikes in Cars 3?!

the creature from the compactor scene in Finding Nemo 3?!

Princess Leia now included in Disney Princess Adventures?!!

Ewoks and Jawas in Bugs Life 2?!

this is madness

BFIB

A 4.05 billion dollar deal. Lucas owned 100% of LucasFilms.

Half of the 4.05 was paid in cash. Holyfuckballs.

Sillverrr

Fantastic news. Whatever results from this, it can't be any worse than the prequel trilogy. In fact, they should just make films of the KotOR games. Maybe we'd get a 3rd part that way instead of a soulless MMO.

BFIB

P.S. I doubt the movie will be called Episode 7, and I really doubt it will ready by 2015. It's probably just bullcrap thrown at Disney's stockholders, for now.

I don't. Wasn't there an article not too long ago about Lucas starting pre-production on what was rumored to be Episode 7?

jett

D-Member
I don't. Wasn't there an article not too long ago about Lucas starting pre-production on what was rumored to be Episode 7?

The only rumors I remember are those of a TV show. Kathleen Kennedy just confirmed anyway that they are merely discussing ideas with writers at the moment.

This is insane to think about. Hopefully Disney does magic with the Star Wars franchise like it did with its Marvel movies. After the prequels there is no where to go but up. I wonder if they will add even more star wars related things to their theme parks. I know disneyland still has those old star tours and indiana jones rides. Maybe they can add more things. Smart buy for Disney.

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
i wonder if Dreamworks tried to make a deal. since Lucas is buddies with Spielberg.

A 4.05 billion dollar deal. Lucas owned 100% of LucasFilms.

Half of the 4.05 was paid in cash. Holyfuckballs.

Lucas gets to buy an island in the pacific, the rest of us have hope for a new trilogy untainted by his dimwitted directorial whims. Everybody wins.

Also,

wat

DonMigs85

Who woulda thought Old Uncle Walt's company would grow to swallow everyone else up?
Also, Star Tours kinda forshadowed this.

So Disney is talking to a couple of writers right now and George Lucas has handed over a ton of stuff in regards to the new trilogy.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Also, since ILM is now a Disney company, I wonder if that means they can work on Iron Man 3 now.

Scanline has a contract to do them so almost certainly not.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
New Trilogy? Hmmmm I was a huge fan of the expanded universe books years ago. Seeing that stuff on film would be great.

Also... Kyle Katarn. FUCK YES. MAKE MOVIES ABOUT THAT BADASS.

Just hope Lucas has minimal impact. The franchise is decades past needing nrew blood runing things.

jett

D-Member
I thought it was confirmed Disney acquired the script treatments for the new trilogy. 2015 is plenty possible if that's the case.

Never heard of that before.

The best thing about this news is it increases the chance of Disney signing off on Fincher's 20, 000 Leagues.

What? No, who gives a shit about that.

The best thing about this news is that Star Wars is finally out of George Lucas's control.

Plissken

I hope they don't feel the need to do any more pre/mid/side-quels with this. I would love them to just start something years after the original trilogy ends. No Vader, no Luke, no Han, no Death Star; time to create some new characters/locations/bad guys. Sure, throw a bone every now and then (visit Tattooine, mention the old bad guys in passing), but we've had 30 years of the same stuff told in different ways, lets try something new!

The Chef

Does this mean Disney now holds full creative control over Star Wars? Or are we going to continually be plagued with Lucas installments?

border

Is it me or does 4 billion dollars seem like an incredibly low price? I would have thought that the rights to the Star Wars IP alone would be worth more than that.....nevermind the rest of Lucasfilm and ILM.

Um...sit down.....I have some news for you.

lol

also, George won't be entirely out of the picture, he's apparently still serving as "creative consultant," but yeah, these will be mostly out of his hands. Wow, this still seems so surreal.

Tobor

New movies based on Lucas's treatments, but Kathleen Kennedy is calling the shots.

The director rumor mill for this is going to be huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom