• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do guys really shower naked in American schools/colleges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
shidoshi said:
For the people who are like "what's the big deal", this is a big part of it. If you were somebody who was already on the receiving end of teasing/etc. from other male students at your school, being naked with them in a tucked-away corner of a locker room just made it far worse.
Maybe it was different in the UK, or just my school, but despite being a pack mentality with a fair amount of bullying during normal school life, the changing rooms were always kind of a no bullying zone. I don't remember anyone bagging on anyone for the size of their equipment or being over weight or anything. Very early in high school when some lads had hit puberty and some hadn't that was often a source of ridicule, but nothing beyond that to my recollection. In retrospect, I respect that, it's almost as if there was an unwritten law preventing abusing people when they couldn't just leave the area or were vulnerable because of being nude and insecure about it etc.

I just watched Mean Girls a couple of hours ago (it was great, Tina Fey is a genius), and it really made me wonder and the kinds of psychological bullying women appear to have gone thru as appose to the seemingly far less long term damaging bagging guys used to do at my school.

Igo

shidoshi said:
For the people who are like "what's the big deal", this is a big part of it. If you were somebody who was already on the receiving end of teasing/etc. from other male students at your school, being naked with them in a tucked-away corner of a locker room just made it far worse.

Someone who stashes themselves in a corner is asking for it. Not that it's right but it's the same with kids showering with boxers or trunks on.

StuBurns said:
Maybe it was different in the UK, or just my school, but despite being a pack mentality with a fair amount of bullying during normal school life, the changing rooms were always kind of a no bullying zone. I don't remember anyone bagging on anyone for the size of their equipment or being over weight or anything. Very early in high school when some lads had hit puberty and some hadn't that was often a source of ridicule, but nothing beyond that to my recollection. In retrospect, I respect that, it's almost as if there was an unwritten law preventing abusing people when they couldn't just leave the area or were vulnerable because of being nude and insecure about it etc.

I just watched Mean Girls a couple of hours ago (it was great, Tina Fey is a genius), and it really made me wonder and the kinds of psychological bullying women appear to have gone thru as appose to the seemingly far less long term damaging bagging guys used to do at my school.
That was definitely just your school. My life was utter hell and people used to bully me all day every day because of my weight. I'm pretty sure all the fears and anxieties I have stem from that time.

In fact I've never had a sexual relationship with a woman due to the intense fear I have of anyone seeing me naked or even without a shirt on.

StuBurns

Banned
Napoleonthechimp said:
That was definitely just your school. My life was utter hell and people used to bully me all day every day because of my weight. I'm pretty sure all the fears and anxieties I have stem from that time.

In fact I've never had a sexual relationship with a woman due to the intense fear I have of anyone seeing me naked or even without a shirt on.
That certainly is very unfortunate, and I don't doubt that kind of shit happens to men too, I just tend to think it's probably considerably worse for women in general.

I can't say I was bullied all that much, maybe at the start of high school I got a little shit, but I am actually quite thankful of that. I was a complete twat when I first went to high school, I needed some social reform I think.

As for your particular issue, and this is certainly not meant to be judgmental or condescending, but maybe you should go to a shrink, it might seem like bullshit, but I've had close friends have some vaguely similar issues and have done so and gotten over some issues they've had.

shidoshi said:

Dude, thats fucking ridiculous. We never had a problem in the locker rooms in my high school. I can't stand people who picked on other people like that, especially in the locker rooms. Sorry you had to suffer with that shit

peakish

shidoshi said:
This is of course a terrible situation, bullying is bullshit and a plague for those who suffers from it. But I didn't get the impression that most folks who've gone "public showers WHAT?" in this thread has suffered from it so I just think it's funny to read that so many have never experienced it. Like entire classes not showering before going to the next class. The thread also made me smile at all the funny stuff I remember connected to after PE showers.

If a person is bullied changing rooms aren't the only problem I'd guess. Shit fucking sucks.

mollipen

Igo said:
Someone who stashes themselves in a corner is asking for it. Not that it's right but it's the same with kids showering with boxers or trunks on.

Er, I was saying the showers were in a tucked-away corner of the locker room, not that somebody was cowering in the corner of the showers.

goldlion054 said:
Dude, thats fucking ridiculous. We never had a problem in the locker rooms in my high school. I can't stand people who picked on other people like that, especially in the locker rooms. Sorry you had to suffer with that shit

It wasn't utterly terrible for me, because I was good at timing and getting in/out with the least possible chance of interaction with other humans. *laughs* In my case, the overall outrageous discomfort with the situation was worse than what I personally received harassment-wise. I do know some of the other kids who had it far worse when it came to teasing the locker room / showers. (For example, the students who were heavier or had other physical "differences". )

I just think a lot of it is the mentality of the situation. If you're somebody who got teased to any degree, the showers were basically a point where you were in a private place, with the potential of being surrounded by a number of people you're uneasy about/afraid of, with no real escape route and when you're at your most vulnerable (aka naked). It's not hard at all to understand why some would despise the idea of that situation.

How did all of you "public showers, no way!" guys not have huge hygiene issues in high school? If I didn't shower directly after football or wrestling practice or working out in the school's gym during 0-period PE, I would get horrible back-ne. Same goes for most of the guys I went to school with. Going to class all day smelling like a dirty asshole was way more shameful than showing your tiny dick to a few guys in the locker room.

Who cares? It's just a bunch of naked guys. It's not anything you don't see every day when you look down.

Maybe things have changed, but when I was playing sports, everybody showered in basically one big tiled room with many shower heads on the walls. Did this from middle school through HS. When I got to college, my dorm had two big bathrooms, one on each end of the hall, with two big shower stalls in each, with four shower heads per shower stall.

Almost all my the gyms I've belonged to in my adult life are more or less like this too, and I have been a member (ha..."member") at some pretty nice/expensive gyms.

But no...I never shower naked. I always wear sandals to avoid athlete's foot. Learned to do that in HS, because the custodian would always forget to fill up that stupid machine that's supposed to spray your feet.

ArjanN

Pristine_Condition said:
Who cares? It's just a bunch of naked guys. It's not anything you don't see every day when you look down.

Maybe things have changed, but when I was playing sports, everybody showered in basically one big tiled room with many shower heads on the walls. Did this from middle school through HS. When I got to college, my dorm had two big bathrooms, one on each end of the hall, with two big shower stalls in each, with four shower heads per shower stall.

Almost all my the gyms I've belonged to in my adult life are more or less like this too, and I have been a member (ha..."member") at some pretty nice/expensive gyms.

But no...I never shower naked. I always wear sandals to avoid athlete's foot. Learned to do that in HS, because the custodian would always forget to fill up that stupid machine that's supposed to spray your feet.

This is good advice people.

madara

My time was way before digital but still I cant imagine too many trying and getting away with attempting something like that.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
No one ever took showers after gym class at my middle/high school, and the teachers never told us to. I honestly don't remember doing anything so strenuous that we were all sweaty messes anyway.

Commodore_Perry said:
How did all of you "public showers, no way!" guys not have huge hygiene issues in high school? If I didn't shower directly after football or wrestling practice or working out in the school's gym during 0-period PE, I would get horrible back-ne. Same goes for most of the guys I went to school with. Going to class all day smelling like a dirty asshole was way more shameful than showing your tiny dick to a few guys in the locker room.

Well, I know that I purposefully chose not to work very hard in PE class, so the lack of sweat made smelling bad not much of an issue.

Chris R

Commodore_Perry said:
Believe it or not, most HS students aren't involved with football/wrestling/0 hour workouts. The most physically demanding PE class I ever had was stretch/3 mile jog/stretch.

Oh, I forgot to tell a related story...

At my HS, (in Texas) there was always a certain degree of "friendly" hazing that went on between the guys on the freshman/jr. varsity football teams, and the varsity team. One of the ribs the older guys would play on the younger guys was something called the "shrinky-dinks" prank.

Sometime in the middle of the season, usually on the first really cold day of the year, a few varsity guys would sneak into the womens' locker room showers that were built right on the other side of a wall from the mens', and shared the same water source. As soon as the underclassmen would load up the showers after their practice, these guys would crank up all hot water in the showers in the women's locker room, which essentially prevented any hot water from flowing into the mens' showers where the underclassmen were. If you were in those showers, you got nothing but FREEZING cold water. Then, all the other varsity guys would burst into the room, with ice water-filled squirt bottles and buckets and coolers, and soak every underclassman in the locker room, while screaming "SHRINKY DINKS!" at the top of their lungs and banging on the lockers. Then the upperclassmen attempt to shove all the underclassmen, with their tiny wangs in the most shrunken state passible, into the women's gymnasium, where the cheerleaders and drill team (the hottest girls in the school, basically) were practicing. You didn't actually DO it, but the threat was enough to get a pretty good brawl going, before you retreated.

Fun stuff. Then of course, the underclassmen had to get the team together and figure out a time and a plan to strike back with the same prank, usually sometime before homecoming or the "Senior Day" game. As an upperclassman, you kinda knew it was coming of course, but you kinda went along with it as if you didn't, so they could get their win. It was all part of the tradition, and it unified the teams.

I talked to a kid that just graduated from my old HS and the tradition still goes on today. The introduction of the Super Soaker has really revolutionized the game. You really never know when it's coming now, and the water can be, er...AIMED, much more precisely, for greatest discomfort.

:lol

I guess when you've been through that, and had about 40 dudes pointing at your shrunken junk while yelling "Shrinky Dink," at you, you don't really have to worry about showing your dick ever again. You've already been through the worst-case scenario. :lol

J2d

Xeke said:
Why are people afraid of being seen naked again?
Because reality is harsh duh? We had a guy that pretty much rushed to the locker room and had showered before anyone had even taken off their sneakers, it sucked.

KJTB

Eh, how else would you shower, with your clothes on?

When I played football in highschool we had to take showers after practice with no curtain or anything separating us... it was awkward the first time but then after that nobody really gives a shit. It's really not that bad unless you have some really bad body image issues. OH NOES, A PENIS!? Come on.

I'd say that most communal showers have things separating people from each other and at the dorms around my college they're all separated.

Dipindots said:
Eh, how else would you shower, with your clothes on?

When I played football in highschool we had to take showers after practice with no curtain or anything separating us... it was awkward the first time but then after that nobody really gives a shit. It's really not that bad unless you have some really bad body image issues. OH NOES, A PENIS!? Come on.

I'd say that most communal showers have things separating people from each other and at the dorms around my college they're all separated.

The fuck? It's HS. People will make fun of you and spread it around school if you have a small pecker.

KJTB

Jason's Ultimatum said:
The fuck? It's HS. People will make fun of you and spread it around school if you have a small pecker.

Um, not by kids on the football team. The team was like a family and unless I am unaware of things nobody talked about the showers outside of the showers. There was a kid a few years prior to our team who talked shit about some dudes dick size to some kids at school and the team beat the shit out of him.

Dipindots said:
Um, not by kids on the football team. The team was like a family and unless I am unaware of things nobody talked about the showers outside of the showers. There was a kid a few years prior to our team who talked shit about some dudes dick size to some kids at school and the team beat the shit out of him.

Really. I question whether you played football or not. Sure, there's family, but we all made fun of each other.

KJTB

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Really. I question whether you played football or not. Sure, there's family, but we all made fun of each other.

Different schools, different respect for other players I guess.

Edit: why would I come into this thread and make up some fantasy about playing football in high school? Hey guys, I'm going to freely admit that I showered with a ton of different dudes naked, aren't I so cool?!

vatstep said:
No one ever took showers after gym class at my middle/high school, and the teachers never told us to. I honestly don't remember doing anything so strenuous that we were all sweaty messes anyway.

This.

Also I was in sports but I never used the shower since all kinds of people were coming in and out of the girl's locker room and there was no one to actually keep the guys from invading our space after school. If we couldn't get a fellow team mate to watch the door, we'd just change in a bathroom stall.

StuBurns said:
As for your particular issue, and this is certainly not meant to be judgmental or condescending, but maybe you should go to a shrink, it might seem like bullshit, but I've had close friends have some vaguely similar issues and have done so and gotten over some issues they've had.
Talking therapy is useless for me as all it has done is dredge up things which I would rather not relive.

RDreamer

Commodore_Perry said:

I never had a gym class that I worked hard enough to actually work up a sweat. I'm not saying I purposefully tried not to sweat or anything, we just were never really worked that hard at all, so I was fine and didn't smell even though I never showered there. While some people showered after gym, pretty much absolutely no one in my basketball team showered after practice. We all lived 5 miles or (for most of the people) less away, so we'd just shower then. After a game there were one or two of us that did, and that was really just the one or two guys that sweated pretty terribly after doing almost anything at all.

Toby said:
I did in middle school. Everyone had a hardon in there.
9sbj9y.jpg

zoukka

-viper- said:
surprised at how many people are completely happy to shower naked in public.

When it's necessary yes. I doubt anyone does it on a whim. (well not most of us at least).

Embracing your body and not being ashamed is liberating. You'll become a better man.

mollipen

krypt0nian said:
Nudity is perfectly natural. I'll never understand the fear of being naked in front of people.

I kind of already explained part of it. It isn't always the being naked in front of others itself, but the fact that doing so makes you feel even more vulnerable and weak in front of people you're already uncomfortable being around.

And, you know, sure, it's also the nudity. I have absolutely no desire to be naked in front of a bunch of strangers, so I feel uncomfortable when I am.
That said, if I had the hot body I wish I had, maybe I'd enjoy flaunting it around. *laughs*

Shouta

Commodore_Perry said:

Showers weren't used at my high school but they had us bring gym clothes to change into. Those would get smelly after a week since we'd change into them every PE class and they'd be sitting in the baskets for ages. We'd be fairly ok in our regular clothing after getting changed.

Sets of clothing helped quite a bit, and for me personally I always just made sure to clear the sweat off of me with towels after Football or heavy PE class. The smell isn't actually from the sweat itself, at least not right away.

Quagm1r3

You'd go in with a bathing suit?

Ohhh you mean the open showers. Yeah we never had to shower in P.E. so it was all good. Thirty years ago it was normal though. I guess they just became desensitized to it after a while.

zoukka

Shouta said:
Showers weren't used at my high school but they had us bring gym clothes to change into. Those would get smelly after a week since we'd change into them every PE class and they'd be sitting in the baskets for ages. We'd be fairly ok in our regular clothing after getting changed.

Sets of clothing helped quite a bit, and for me personally I always just made sure to clear the sweat off of me with towels after Football or heavy PE class. The smell isn't actually from the sweat itself, at least not right away.

That sounds hideous.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Never used the shower at school. It was a town of 1800 and it took about a minute to drive home.

Never lived in a dorm.

jaxword

cashman said:
Surprised at how many people are afraid of nudity in this thread.

Seriously?

This is America, where the country almost SHUT DOWN over Janet Jackson's boob popping out.

This country is embarrassingly immature about nakedness.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
-viper- said:
surprised at how many people are completely happy to shower naked in public.
If you just finished exercising and don't have the time to go home and shower, then I'm perfectly fine with the communal showers. Pro Tip: Most people just stare at their shower head. Lather up, rinse and leave. It's the same kind of rules as if you're at a urinal.

Doytch said:
Do you people not go to the gym or something? I expect this shit out of the gaming side, people.

when i used to go to the gym i would just wait till i was home before showering.. why is it imperative to shower there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom