• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you like Trigger Effects and Haptic Feedback on your Dualsense?

Do you like Trigger Effects and Haptic Feedback on your Dualsense?

• Yes

Votes: 202 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 60 22.9%

• Total voters

skit_data

I like the haptics a lot, always turned off vibration before this gen.

The triggers are more or less useless unless in very specific use cases (Returnal, GT7, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart)

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I feel indifferent because I barely paying attention to when playing. Its like 3D on 3DS it was fascinating fist time you see it but after while I just stopped noticing it much.

SenkiDala

Yes and no... In Astrobot they are the bests but in games like Dirt 5 it makes the game unplayable, the controller is shacking like hell, the feeling is very unpleasant for me.

In RE4 remake too, feeling every single footstep of your character is annoying like hell to me.

El Muerto

I turn off the trigger effects. Always feel like i'm going to break my controller if I press down too hard when the game locks up the triggers. Haptic feedback is ok though.

Markio128

Yep, love them. I hear that Spider-Man 2 has Returnal levels of haptic feedback, so I can’t wait for that.

I also like the built-in speaker as well. It can shit me up sometimes though 😂

Cyberpunk makes great use of the features - when driving you can feel a click when you change gears for example - it’s little things that help with immersion.

Xbox will benefit too soon, so games like FH will feel much better to play.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
When it’s a significant part of the game (like in Astro Bot) I think it’s fantastic. But when it’s just “oh, now you have to pull the trigger a bit harder” then I don’t really care.

Aenima

Haptic feedback 100%.
Adaptive Triggers, i like it when its well implemented, but is not well implemented in all games so its a hit or miss. I love the implementantion in GT7, you feel the car losing grip in the triggers before you have visual information that the car is about to slide. Some other games have very poor implementation and in that case i just turn them off.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Honestly the trigger effects are my least favorite feature of the Dualsense. It's one of the sturdiest base controllers I've ever held. Excellent build quality. But having to "pull through" to make the trigger do something more or different just feels unnecessarily gimmicky. Most games don't do a good job of it.

The haptics are ok, but tippety-taps in my palms aren't really any more realistic than generic rumble because the feelings most games try to simulate aren't things you'd normally feel in your hands. But since that's the only feedback opportunity games get it might as well be as good as it can.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I really liked them in Astrobot, but after that, i can't say i remember really any game using them in a good way.

stickkidsam

I haven’t played anything that has matched the Astro playroom levels of feedback yet but I’m happy it’s there. It’s fun.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Haptics yes trigger effects?

the wolf of wall street GIF

BouncyFrag

I LOVE my ps5 controller. Sometimes I’ll turn off the feedback on the triggers tho. The subtle rumble effects are great.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Love it. Now playing Alan Wakre Remastered and it is elevated over original version.
You could always aim with flashlight and engage battery use with 1 trigger. Now with dualsense, there is a very tactile stop midway and if you press past it, it enages the flashlight battery usage mode. PERFECT.
you can feel shooting, reloading, low stamina etc.

And that's just alan wake. Feeling rain in returnal or astro is incredible.
One of my favs is in Ratchet when you enter this dance club in the city, the controller does this very heavy and deep rumble. If you disable audio on your tv, you can make out the beat!

Or in hogwarts. Each spell has different feel when casting and if you disable speakers, it is very distinct
Like this spell. Wait until I move camera closer to the controller. Note that speaker on the controller is DISABLED.

Some important notes:
-Disable microphone on dualsense. You can make it start disabled by default in settings. Some games will lower the strength of haptics when mic is enabled
-To check out how incredibly coold the haptics are, disable controller speaker and tv audio and then listen to vibration!
-Some games like ff16, have haptics strength connected to game volume. FF16 defaults to 70 and changing that changes haptics.

Crayon

Both are great. I turn down the trigger strength system-wide though. They are surprisingly strong and that shit will fuck up your tendons! I find the effect works just as nicely without them pushing back so hard.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I voted yes for the purposes of the poll, but I’m very much “it depends”.

I love the haptics, it’s just the next logical step after rumble and is sublime when implemented well (Astro, Returnal, etc.)

I’m also a fan of the speaker, now that it’s decent and not tinny as hell, especially as you can tweak the volume.

The triggers? Eh, not a fan in the main, even when it’s done well like in Ratchet. It just doesn’t sit well with me, never manages to feel like “feedback” as opposed to a broken trigger with grit trapped in the mechanism.

I was hoping for more granular feedback, or maybe fightback might be a better term? Like some gradual resistance that maybe forces back on you a little like good racing wheels. Instead it seems to just stop the travel at a certain point and make you click past it, rarely feels anything other than irritating to me.

Neon Xenon

Haptics and Trigger Effects can be fun. Last (only) game I played with those two things was Death Stranding: Director's Cut. I would be happy to see more games implement things like this.

At the same time, things like Trigger Effects with games like Returnal or Ratchet & Clank: A Rift Apart should always be optional to players.

MikeM

Love them. I wish every game on PC had them. Returnal and Astro’s playroom are fantastic examples of how to use. Had good experiences with COD CW, MW2 and Prodeus.

Some devs do a really good job, others u just want to turn the shit off, sony really need to tell the devs how to use it properly.

Three

Haptics and Trigger Effects can be fun. Last (only) game I played with those two things was Death Stranding: Director's Cut. I would be happy to see more games implement things like this.

At the same time, things like Trigger Effects with games like Returnal or Ratchet & Clank: A Rift Apart should always be optional to players.
In DS: Director's Cut the haptics and trigger feedback were insanely strong. My first encounter with Mads Mikkelsen and I was struggling to keep the controller in my hand and shoot straight. Had to get used to bracing the controller better when firing the gun. The recoil was intense.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

yup. first time I liked a PS controller over an XBOX controller. (still prefer stick placement and battery life on XB though)

Beechos

I like it when it's implemented well When it's a tacked on afterthought might as well not even bother. So far nothing has yet to come close to using it like astrobot.

Haptics can be ok sometimes, it’s better than the shitty rumble of yesteryear. Triggers are godawful. My biggest complaint is they fucked up the ergonomics from the perfection that was the DS4.

Good haptic feedback can increase the immersion and enjoyment of a game 10-fold, I always champion devs who implement it well. Triggers I'm not too big of a fan of though.

skit_data

Haptics can be ok sometimes, it’s better than the shitty rumble of yesteryear. Triggers are godawful. My biggest complaint is they fucked up the ergonomics from the perfection that was the DS4.
Indeed, I'd prefer a version with haptics, possibly backbuttons and the form factor of DS4. That'd be perfection IMO.

Top Bottom