• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you like Trigger Effects and Haptic Feedback on your Dualsense?

Do you like Trigger Effects and Haptic Feedback on your Dualsense?

• Yes

Votes: 202 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 60 22.9%

• Total voters
Astrobot was a great showcase (I loved how you could feel raindrops) but I've hardly noticed them in any other game.
Came here to post exactly this. Like most gimmicky bullshit in this industry, the manufacturer makes it with a few games to showcase it and then 6 months later, no one gives a fuck.

That being said, I'm admittedly a poor judge of the haptics. I've never liked rumble features in games. They just annoy me and drain batteries faster.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I like the haptics. The triggers are an interesting idea but I don't like the way they feel, they don't feel like they apply smooth resistance.

MarkMe2525

I don't have a dualsense, but like any extra functionality, it is all up to the developer. In the same vein of the dualsense, I have experienced fantastic haptics in VR that help immerse you. I have also experienced the opposite, haptics that amounted to nothing more than random buzzing in my hand which ended up being distracting.

Pimpbaa

I love the triggers in anything that involves guns and cars. It really makes a game like Cyberpunk 2077 more immersive. The haptics are cool in general, but it’s not not much differenot from what the Switch has. The only problem is heavy use of the resistive triggers drain the already lousy battery life in the Dualsense even quicker. Lucky to get a day out of something like the last Rachet and Clank.

Fredrik

I instinctively pull hard on the trigger, secondary actions when pulling over an edge don’t work well for me, not enough resistance.
But the trigger rattle synced perfectly with the sound like the glitch segments in Ratchet, just awesome 👌

fart town usa

Gold Member
Astrobot was a great showcase (I loved how you could feel raindrops) but I've hardly noticed them in any other game.
Ghostwire: Tokyo used them to great effect. The best (outside of Astro) that I've experienced so far.

There's the story of Sony bringing the controller to Tango for testing purposes and then Shinji went to Sony's office afterwards and said they needed to make the resistance and haptics more intense.

ahtlas7

A serious gamer always disables those things. Always.

Those features are for kids. Grow up
angry peter pan GIF

DelireMan7

Don't know xD

For the trigger, I experienced it a bit in REmake 2. A bit confused, I don't dislike it but can't say I especially like it. Then my trigger started to squeak heavily so...

Haptic feedback... Well I guess I don't know what it is. I just feel some different intensity of vibration here and there. Don't really see the point so far for all the hype around it.

Summary:
Not convinced, need further testing. Haptic feedback seems like a buzz word to me to hype again the vibration system we had for years already. Triggers could be interesting.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Best thing this gen, people disabling this stuff also like unseasoned chicken, ready salted crisps, water is their favourite drink and worst of all missionary is their favourite position - if they are lucky enough to find a fellow wet blanket to do it with.

Biggest disappointment is how shitty the implementation on PC is as I’ll happily choose PS5 versions of games just for the haptics and triggers over 120/4k

Soodanim

Gold Member
In RE4 remake too, feeling every single footstep of your character is annoying like hell to me.
Please tell me you're joking.

I'll happily take trigger resistance, but that is ridiculous. I'm already not a fan of the way they animated Leon's steps and/or how the camera follows, it doesn't feel smooth. Having that reinforced constantly sounds awful.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah it's great and makes it easily my favorite console controller yet.

The haptic feedback is sort of what I expected from Joycons after the BS previews where people were praising the "HD rumble"
Yeah tell me it’s bullshit when you try the 1 2 switch how many balls are in the controller demo.

Best HD rumble function ever made and never surpassed

DelireMan7

Love it, especially when a developer has really put in the effort.

Best thing this gen, people disabling this stuff also like unseasoned chicken, ready salted crisps, water is their favourite drink and worst of all missionary is their favourite position - if they are lucky enough to find a fellow wet blanket to do it with.

Biggest disappointment is how shitty the implementation on PC is as I’ll happily choose PS5 versions of games just for the haptics and triggers over 120/4k

Yes, love them.

Any game I play without Adaptive Triggers and Haptic Feedback feels so outdated now.

Honestly I am really intrigued by praise like this.

Can you recommend me some games (don't say Astrobot) where it's really well implemented or where it really "up" the game ? Guenine question really. I am really confused by the whole "haptic feedback" hype.
I can see how the trigger thing can be attractive (I am not so much into shooter so don't change much for me now)

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Can you recommend me some games (don't say Astrobot) where it's really well implemented or where it really "up" the game ? Guenine question really. I am really confused by the whole "haptic feedback" hype.
I can see how the trigger thing can be attractive (I am not so much into shooter so don't change much for me now)

There have already been recommendations in this thread, but I'll give you one.

Try the PS5 version of Ghost of Tsushima. For example, when riding your horse you can not only feel the hooves hit the ground, but feel the difference in terrain. There is a lot more than that, but I don't want to spoil it. It's pretty incredible. The game just doesn't feel the same with haptics turned off.

ShakenG

Turned triggers off when my lap times on GT7 were garbage. I tried a few other games and didnt like it that much.

Haptics on the other hand is incredible and i hope they can improve it more.

squarealex

I like, but I have mixed feelings about this.
IDK if is the devs use badly or it's just cheap feature... but the UI of the PS5, Returnal and Astrobot is very good (if not the best) using of
this both features...
Other developpers (even ND) I don't feel like they very interested... Rumble is weak and not precise and trigger effects not perfect (i've not playing HZ:FW / GOW:R)
Also the big loss is the big motors of Rumble of Dualshock 4. Playing PS4 games with Dualsense feel weird sometimes.

drezz

Very much so.

On PSVR2 the triggers just add so unbelivable more immersion to a already immersive scenario.
Something as small as pressing in the button on a Walki-Talki and feeling that smushy hard press (That old walki-talkies have/had) just like the ones I've used... Is amazing.
Shooting gun in VR and having that little extra goes a mile, on normal flatscreen in MP I turn it off(cause it becomes to distracting), while on PSVR2 I've got it set to max, regardless of MP or SP... just soo good!
I'm more upsett that the "Strenght" of the triggers are the equivalent of "Low" on a normal duel sense controller, wishing for a "pro" VR controller with more strenght.

acidagfc

Without trigger effects any racing game just does not feel good anymore, GT7 spoiled me so hard.

Haptics are cool, but way less important.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I wouldn't care if they weren't there. Triggers can actually be an annoyance sometimes and rumble is rumble. Ultimately it doesn't matter how it vibrates, if at all, because I won't be paying attention to it. I never got the appeal of vibrating controllers anyway. The only time any game ever did something clever with them was MGS during that Psycho Mantis fight.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

There have already been recommendations in this thread, but I'll give you one.

Try the PS5 version of Ghost of Tsushima. For example, when riding your horse you can not only feel the hooves hit the ground, but feel the difference in terrain. There is a lot more than that, but I don't want to spoil it. It's pretty incredible. The game just doesn't feel the same with haptics turned off.
Thanks. Anyway want to try this game at one point.

True for the recommendation in thread, but I'll be honest I quickly fly over it because the subject didn't really interested me at first xD.

Mythoclast

Yes, they are the reason I will buy COD on PS5 and not on XSX, even tho the SX controller feels more comfortable in my hands.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Thanks. Anyway want to try this game at one point.

True for the recommendation in thread, but I'll be honest I quickly fly over it because the subject didn't really interested me at first xD.

Imagine the feeling you felt the first time you had sex, but combined with the euphoric feeling of being slightly drunk. That's what haptics are like.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Very much so.

On PSVR2 the triggers just add so unbelivable more immersion to a already immersive scenario.
Something as small as pressing in the button on a Walki-Talki and feeling that smushy hard press (That old walki-talkies have/had) just like the ones I've used... Is amazing.
Shooting gun in VR and having that little extra goes a mile, on normal flatscreen in MP I turn it off(cause it becomes to distracting), while on PSVR2 I've got it set to max, regardless of MP or SP... just soo good!
I'm more upsett that the "Strenght" of the triggers are the equivalent of "Low" on a normal duel sense controller, wishing for a "pro" VR controller with more strenght.
I can agree with this, though. VR is where controller effects make sense because the goal is to ultimately trick your brain into thinking you're somewhere else and being able to actually sense objects in the game through touch is a great way to enhance that. I would love it if there was some cool futuristic tech that would give these cons a variable weight or have some kind of gyroscopic effect that would pull your hands in opposite directions to where you wanna move them, like those spinning Gyro Balls.

GymWolf

I could not care less about controller gimmicks.

Disabled the triggers after 5 min of try in astrobot demo because i don't wanna give sony another 70 dollars for a future faulty trigger and turned down vibration to 50% to not kill the already shitty life battery on the ds5.

Gimme 2 back buttons instead.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

Please tell me you're joking.

I'll happily take trigger resistance, but that is ridiculous. I'm already not a fan of the way they animated Leon's steps and/or how the camera follows, it doesn't feel smooth. Having that reinforced constantly sounds awful.
No no I'm serious... There's probably an option to deactivate haptic feedback but I like to experience games as it was intended by the devs, but yeah that vibration at every step is more than annoying.

TrebleShot

For sure bro.

GT7, one of the best used for traction, road conditions gear shifting, triggers rumble and loose pressure when you loose grip actually adds to the realism.

EAFC 24, each pass has a tactile punch to it, shots have varying degrees of feedback based on power as do tackles.

TLOU P1, you can actually set the controller to have voice haptics so when people shout and speak the controller vibrates precisely with what they are saying which adds presence to the characters then there’s also the gameplay feedback like gun shots the scopes having more resistance and things like running etc.

BF2042 , has excellent haptics along with the guns on the triggers having punch etc but you’ll have tactile feedback when running around, as you sprint each side of the DS will feedback with each footstep.

The Crew Motorfest, some of the very best haptics just fun really as the controller is basically the car, the swerves and effects are heard through the controller and the feedback through the vibrations and triggers literally makes it feel like your holding the car essentially.

Honestly there are more games that use them than don’t, anyone saying it’s a gimmick that no devs support is talking pure nonsense almost every major release gets a PS blog about the haptics and use of the DS.

I could probably keep going all day for every game I own telling you about how it’s implemented.

Then you jump over to PC and there’s definitely a sense of something being missing. It’s not unplayable just like 30fps isn’t unplayable but there’s a missing piece I think that’s also why the portal will be amazing over something like a steam deck with Chiaki.

Eiknarf

Banned
Yes and no... In Astrobot they are the bests but in games like Dirt 5 it makes the game unplayable, the controller is shacking like hell, the feeling is very unpleasant for me.

In RE4 remake too, feeling every single footstep of your character is annoying like hell to me.
I haven’t tried RE4 Remake. Gonna have to try it now

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

FFXVI - 'Death'

The haptic feedback is usually subtle, but it elevates the experience without even you realizing it. And when it isn't there, you really miss it, as if the game is ancient or outdated.

You can also find lists like these on Google:

Last edited:
For now I lean heavily towards no.
The controller feels weird overall, while DS4 was a clear improvemnet, just the new shape alone made it overall better than DS3.
The Dualsense's new shape is not great imho. Misses volume at the end of the two handles.
Stick top shape seems even more deep for no reason, I'd prefer DS3 shape, and instead of making the edges nicely round with some actual surface area, it still is a microstick with too hard edges.
Trigger with hard edges keeps being stupid too.
I hate the way too soft springs in the triggers since forever in any PS controller. No idea about current Xbox controllers, but my aging 360 controller is still miles better in its mechanical resistance.
I guess finer rumble is nice, effects that are subtle are much better, while not being absurdly attention whore noticeable. Which is always good, ie effects that are not overused like most visual new techniques especially in past gens were.
I absolutely hate the locked up triggers though, in each and every use case. But especially in racing games, where the "gas pedal" has nothing in common with a real pedal due to that nonsense. While a brake pedal with some increasing pressure would have been interesting, but is never that way. It never feels not like I have to mistreat it and every ~crunch~ feels like it will ruin it sooner than later. A stiffer spring and a much softer lock up, without the feeling of rupturing something, would be interesting, but this ain't it at all.
The light show, now on top, is also not ideal. Especially since it has not even a purpose like the usually blue triangle had.
Battery life is okayish, but still no DS3.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I like them. I look forward to their next implementation. The trigger effect in the next will hopefully not be so loud when turning off and on.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I do have some fun, I just don’t need gimmicks to do so
I don't understand this.
What you are saying is like some alien speech to me.
Or you 67 like GymWolf GymWolf here by any chance? Maybe old people are just normally this alien
/s

Last edited:

GymWolf

I don't understand this.
What you are saying is like some alien speech to me.
Or you 67 like GymWolf GymWolf here by any chance? Maybe old people are just normally this alien
/s
Don't get me wrong, i can see people getting immersed by the haptics when they use dildo shaped weapons like the rock drill pistol in lies of p, i'm not THAT geriatric (yet)

Top Bottom