• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you like Trigger Effects and Haptic Feedback on your Dualsense?

Do you like Trigger Effects and Haptic Feedback on your Dualsense?

• Yes

Votes: 202 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 60 22.9%

• Total voters

shubik

It's a game changer for me. I was always a fan of rumble effects and SONY simply knocked it out of the park with the DualSense. I'm so used to it that I´m always dissapointed if a new game is not using it properly. Gunplay, racing, and even games like Asto gain a lot from it. It helps me to immerse more into the world

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Haptics are cool. The triggers got incredibly tiresome very quickly. Some games like Ratchet actually use them well but most of the time there's absolutely no need to make it harder for yourself to press a button.

Trilobit

Yes and no... In Astrobot they are the bests but in games like Dirt 5 it makes the game unplayable, the controller is shacking like hell, the feeling is very unpleasant for me.

In RE4 remake too, feeling every single footstep of your character is annoying like hell to me.

portrait-of-a-senior-woman-with-hand-in-wrist-brace-DR0A51.jpg

DelireMan7

For sure bro.

GT7, one of the best used for traction, road conditions gear shifting, triggers rumble and loose pressure when you loose grip actually adds to the realism.

EAFC 24, each pass has a tactile punch to it, shots have varying degrees of feedback based on power as do tackles.

TLOU P1, you can actually set the controller to have voice haptics so when people shout and speak the controller vibrates precisely with what they are saying which adds presence to the characters then there’s also the gameplay feedback like gun shots the scopes having more resistance and things like running etc.

BF2042 , has excellent haptics along with the guns on the triggers having punch etc but you’ll have tactile feedback when running around, as you sprint each side of the DS will feedback with each footstep.

The Crew Motorfest, some of the very best haptics just fun really as the controller is basically the car, the swerves and effects are heard through the controller and the feedback through the vibrations and triggers literally makes it feel like your holding the car essentially.

Honestly there are more games that use them than don’t, anyone saying it’s a gimmick that no devs support is talking pure nonsense almost every major release gets a PS blog about the haptics and use of the DS.

I could probably keep going all day for every game I own telling you about how it’s implemented.

Then you jump over to PC and there’s definitely a sense of something being missing. It’s not unplayable just like 30fps isn’t unplayable but there’s a missing piece I think that’s also why the portal will be amazing over something like a steam deck with Chiaki.
I actually tried quickly GT7 at a friend's place. But I hate racing game, especially realistic one like GT7, it didn't do much for me.

I should try some more shooter.

FFXVI - 'Death'

The haptic feedback is usually subtle, but it elevates the experience without even you realizing it. And when it isn't there, you really miss it, as if the game is ancient or outdated.

You can also find lists like these on Google:

Not sure what you meant by FFXVI Death. I saw some people saying the haptic feature are great in FFXVI but I didn't feel anything (except the resistance on R2 and small rumble on opening door but... it's nothing xD).

I'll try some game on the lists. But for those I already try it sounds like haptics feedback don't do much for me. In Demon's Souls I find it cool the small rumble while your weapon is buff but in action you never feel it xD.
Didn't remember something memorable in Death Stranding or Borderlands 3 (but I didn't like these 2)

To be sure I get it right, "haptic feedback" are just some variation of rumble ? (aside for the trigger resistance)

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I voted yes but it really depends on the game. Astro is really the only game I’ve notice any really neat haptic usage. But I’ve played a few games with good adaptive triggers usage.

Traxtech

I usually turn triggers off completely unless it's an astro bot type of situation. Haptics it depends on the game

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Yes and there's a demo for this. :)

Btw it is an awesome game, very respectful to the original and I loved it, but this part is not what I preferred.
Ok cool
I’m on the fence about buying it (used) because I always end up NOT LOVING all RE games.

I tried and got rid of RE2, RE3 and RE7 Remakes because I always feel that the flow of the game is disrupted by the Backtracking, Inventory Management and Puzzles. I always finish em, but never see myself wanting to play em again.

But if RE4 Remake has sick haptic feedback and trigger effects, I may try it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The haptics are great, even amazing in some games. The triggers are alright, not many games do anything really cool with them. But the 2-step triggers in Returnal are neat, brings me back to the GameCube days.

Jakk

I only liked it in Astro's Playroom and Spider-Man Miles Morales, in other games I either didn't even notice it or I turned it off. Generally speaking I think haptic feedback is a good idea, but adaptive triggers are annoying for me in 99% cases.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I actually tried quickly GT7 at a friend's place. But I hate racing game, especially realistic one like GT7, it didn't do much for me.

I should try some more shooter.

FFXVI - 'Death'
FFXVI - 'Death'

I'll try some game on the lists. But for those I already try it sounds like haptics feedback don't do much for me. In Demon's Souls I find it cool the small rumble while your weapon is buff but in action you never feel it xD.
FFXVI - 'Death'
FFXVI - 'Death'

To be sure I get it right, "haptic feedback" are just some variation of rumble ? (aside for the trigger resistance)
Oh shit sorry, that's my spoiler protection program that kicked in. 😄 I was sharing a list of games. I'll try again.
  • Kojima's game with the name Stranding in it. (the 1st word will trigger the program again 😄 )
  • Returnal
  • Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Control PS5
  • Ghost of Tsushima PS5
  • Borderlands 3
  • Gran Turismo 7
These are just off the top of my head; there are plenty more.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
As a player with repetitive stress injuries in my fingers, no. Haptic triggers can be quite painful, so I turn them off nearly all the time. They are cool sometimes, like in Returnal, but for the most part, I don't like them.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yes. I’ve bought games on ps5 that would otherwise be “free” on gamespass, just because the lack of the controller features on the seriesX makes it the lesser version of the game.
Same. I end up buying a few games on Steam and then later buy the ones I really like on PS5 again just to play them with full DualSense support.

NickFire

I love everything about the dual sense except the lack of durability. Stick drift is one issue we've seen in my home. Another issue is something in the triggers getting messed up, to the point that there's almost no resistance to depress them.

Exoil

When the implementation is good I love both. I've gotten so used to the triggers that when I play PS4 games I wonder if I need to replace another spring again.

Traxtech

People who like adaptive triggers on shooters should test their fire rate with it on and off. I can shoot so much faster with them off, like Returnal pistol for example

Exoil

I love everything about the dual sense except the lack of durability. Stick drift is one issue we've seen in my home. Another issue is something in the triggers getting messed up, to the point that there's almost no resistance to depress them.
Order yourself some spare springs of Amazon and replace them, I've had to do it to one of my controllers where first the L2 button spring broke and then the R2. It's a quick and easy fix though and only cost me about 5 bucks for 20 springs. Sucks to have to do it but I'm glad it was quicker and easier than sending the controller in for repairs.

NickFire

Order yourself some spare springs of Amazon and replace them, I've had to do it to one of my controllers where first the L2 button spring broke and then the R2. It's a quick and easy fix though and only cost me about 5 bucks for 20 springs. Sucks to have to do it but I'm glad it was quicker and easier than sending the controller in for repairs.
I just might one of these days. Not in a rush though. I came up with a different fix, which was ordering a new red one in anticipation of Spiderman 2. :messenger_beaming:

Exoil

I just might one of these days. Not in a rush though. I came up with a different fix, which was ordering a new red one in anticipation of Spiderman 2. :messenger_beaming:
Yeah, that's one way of doing it :messenger_grinning_sweat:
But if the leaks are anything to go by you might need two controllers for when the red one runs out of battery

NickFire

Yeah, that's one way of doing it :messenger_grinning_sweat:
But if the leaks are anything to go by you might need two controllers for when the red one runs out of battery
The red is my third. :messenger_grinning:

New system - red until low battery, then switch to backup which used to be primary (still decent, but little stick drift). Return to red when charged again.

And broken = watch movies remote cause some kid spilled on my little movie remote.

Top Bottom