• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune: Part Two | Official Trailer

ManaByte

Gold Member
Looks amazing. How many movies are actually planned for this? Will this conclude the first book? I never read the books but heard the later ones weren’t as good. Are they all planned to be adapted to films?
This concludes the first book. Villeneuve wants to do Dune Messiah as a third and final movie in a trilogy, but there’s no sign that‘ll actually happen.

Cyberpunkd

This concludes the first book. Villeneuve wants to do Dune Messiah as a third and final movie in a trilogy, but there’s no sign that‘ll actually happen.
Also Messiah is where the things start to drift towards more esoteric, although it takes till the end of God Emperor to go off the rails.

IMO if they film it they should film Children of Dune as well, then you have huge time skip.

L*][*N*K

Banned
No this is part two of the first book. The third movie would be based on Messiah if they made one.
That is what I thought too, but I heard that he is splitting Part 2 into two parts, but the source on twitter seems untrustworthy, so I guess my FYI was pre-mature.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm going to need to rewatch Part 1 before this. Definitely will be seeing this in the cinema. The movie was great but the soundtrack and effects seem like they would benefit a cinema experience. My TV has quite good speakers I think but I'd love to see and hear this on the big screen and speakers. Villeneuve movies are great in the cinema. Seeing Blade Runner 2049 in cinema was one of the best experiences I've ever had watching a movie.

Does anyone actually like that zendayaa chick? I find her cringe.
Based on Dune Part 1 i think she was fine for the role. Nothing amazing or terrible.

I just don't know who the hell she is, I can't remember if I've ever seen her in anything else, or why everyone is excited about her. And it may be pathetic but her name annoys me lol. She is only called Zendaya? Apparently that's her first name. Why aren't the credits saying Zendaya Coleman? That's her full name. So edgy.

He wasn't sure Part 2 would be made but here we are. I hope Messiah gets a movie or two but he shouldn't waste his time adapting the other books. That shit goes downhill after book 2

Last edited:

Doom85

And it may be pathetic but her name annoys me lol. She is only called Zendaya? Apparently that's her first name. Why aren't the credits saying Zendaya Coleman? That's her full name. So edgy.

Musical artists have done this before with their names, why can’t actors and actresses? And there’s also the little detail that Zendaya WAS a musical artist before she got into film acting.

Like, Rihanna didn’t use her full name when she appeared in a few films, and why would she? We know her as Rihanna, not Robyn Rihanna Fenty.

Aggelos

IMAX uploaded a 4K trailer.

4K H.265 trailer ~ 1.7 GB

Apple ProRes Uncompressed 1080p ~ 2.7GB

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Really looking forward to this, but that was a disappointing trailer. I felt like they used the same scenes in the trailer too many times and they released a trailer prematurely

Regardless, bet the house on Villeneuve always

Lasha

Also Messiah is where the things start to drift towards more esoteric, although it takes till the end of God Emperor to go off the rails.

IMO if they film it they should film Children of Dune as well, then you have huge time skip.

The progression is rational. Dune is the easiest to digest because Paul has some semblance of a hero's journey. Riches to rags, rallying people to his cause, and winning back what is rightfully his. The later books show the darker consequences of what appeared to be normal heroic fiction. Who knew setting a planet's worth of water starved religious zealots onto an unsuspecting galaxy would not have the best results?

PanzerAzel

I’ll probably watch once it hits Netflix, out of curiosity. Momoa carried the last movie on his back.
Eh, Mamoa had far too much dude bro energy for Duncan for me. I was constantly expecting him to bust out a joint or a surfboard and begin shredding the dunes.

Good trailer, but what‘s up with Paul’s eyes? It’s admittedly been a while since I read the book, but no Eyes of Ibad while riding the worm? He appears to have them during his duel, but IIRC the worm ride occurred after a few years time lapse which should have had Paul with the Fremen (and exposed to spice) for some time.

ZehDon

Gold Member
That is what I thought too, but I heard that he is splitting Part 2 into two parts, but the source on twitter seems untrustworthy, so I guess my FYI was pre-mature.
Given that the trailer for Part Two includes footage of the final duel between Paul and Fayed I would say this is utter nonsense. Villeneuve was completely upfront about his intentions: Part Three would be Dune Messiah. From a trilogy perspective this makes perfect sense because then his trilogy would ultimately be the story of Paul Atreides and conclude with his death.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Given that the trailer for Part Two includes footage of the final duel between Paul and Fayed I would say this is utter nonsense. Villeneuve was completely upfront about his intentions: Part Three would be Dune Messiah. From a trilogy perspective this makes perfect sense because then his trilogy would ultimately be the story of Paul Atreides and conclude with his death.
Yeah now I know, I am sorry.

QSD

Heh yeah, like I recently mentioned in the thread about The Onion article ('Dune Part II will pick up right at the place where viewers fell asleep during the first movie') I didn't really think the version Villeneuve came up with is all that exciting, and might end up being forgotten by most in 20 years' time. It has no major flaws or bad miscastings, I just found it a very dull, ponderous movie where even the most extravagant and exotic parts of the book/story are presented in a kind of matter-of-fact way, without any sense of wonder, but rather as a kind of documentary (which was Villeneuve's stated intent). He presents Dune as a world largely without colour, furniture or joy. I wonder how many people will show up for part 2.

Jsisto

If this is true, it would have to end with Children of Dune unless they changed it for the movie. I’d be all for that.

DKehoe

342729503_261220706357101_2701483664442386420_n.png

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Does anyone actually like that zendayaa chick? I find her cringe.

I don't have some hate boner toward her but I don't know what people see in her. I've only ever seen her in Spiderman maybe she's an amazing actress in other stuff

Just realised Bragr has been permed.
I believe that Zendaya's casting as a young, resilient Fremen is quite fitting, as she effectively embodies the harshness of Arrakis and complements the rest of the main Fremen cast.

In comparison to the original Dune movie, Zendaya's portrayal seems more believable than the pale Sean Young (one of my OG crushes).

I'm actually not a huge fan of Florence Pugh's casting as Irulan. I think she's too diminutive and doesn't have that otherworldly charisma and beauty that Virginia Madsen radiated during her stint as the Princess of the Known Universe.

Princess_Irulan-Virginia_Madsen_%281984%29.jpg

edit: If it were up to me, I would be casting Saorise Ronan as Irulan.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Just realised Bragr has been permed.
I believe that Zendaya's casting as a young, resilient Fremen is quite fitting, as she effectively embodies the harshness of Arrakis and complements the rest of the main Fremen cast.

In comparison to the original Dune movie, Zendaya's portrayal seems more believable than the pale Sean Young (one of my OG crushes).

I'm actually not a huge fan of Florence Pugh's casting as Irulan. I think she's too diminutive and doesn't have that otherworldly charisma and beauty that Virginia Madsen radiated during her stint as the Princess of the Known Universe.

Princess_Irulan-Virginia_Madsen_%281984%29.jpg

edit: If it were up to me, I would be casting Saorise Ronan as Irulan.
I don't have an issue with her being cast in Dune. Ive never seen her in anything other than Spiderman and obviously Dune. I just don't get the hype around her but it's not something I lose sleep over. I'm really looking forward to this sequel and hopefully we get a trilogy.

Zuo

The first movie was quite boring after the first 20 minutes or so. Still can't believe they thought the protagonist having a knife fight with some random guy we hardly know would be an epic finale

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
The first movie was quite boring after the first 20 minutes or so. Still can't believe they thought the protagonist having a knife fight with some random guy we hardly know would be an epic finale

It's not supposed to be an epic finale. But I agree the ending falls a bit flat and leaves you with a "that's it?" feeling. It's an unsatisfying ending.

That said, this is the same director that had this setting for the epic climax to his 2.5 hour 185 million dollar blockbuster:

OisGvKEQ.jpg

Doom85

It's not supposed to be an epic finale. But I agree the ending falls a bit flat and leaves you with a "that's it?" feeling. It's an unsatisfying ending.

That said, this is the same director that had this setting for the epic climax to his 2.5 hour 185 million dollar blockbuster:

OisGvKEQ.jpg

Sorry, I know this is a late reply, but for me BR 2049 was not about the action, but the solid story, characters, world, directing, music, acting, etc. I didn’t even notice the action in the climax being nothing special because to me what was the true importance and significance of the scene was K choosing to help Deckard even though once he finds out the truth he has no reason to from an entirely “logical” point of view. This is mirrored in Joi’s actions as well as her ignoring K’s insistence that she stay behind indicates she is progressing beyond her programming to “love” him and is doing what she wants to do to help K even if it might anger him by ignoring his command or risk hurting him emotionally should something happen to her. Both their decisions are “illogical” which proves the Replicants and such are truly evolving.

Also, the actual ending, those final few minutes outside in the snow and then inside the facility, are absolute perfection. One of my favorite endings of all time. Honestly, while a third movie could have been amazing, I got absolutely everything I needed from 2049.

I'm looking forward to it. I really enjoyed the first movie a lot, especially the world and sound design was top notch. Some of my favourite visuals for sure.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I really like that main character. I think he's the next dicaprio. I especially loved his acting in 'the king' movie. Very good movie by the way.
He goes from being a drunken fuckboi to a legitimate leader in that movie, and he's believable the whole time.

So seeing his angsty start in Dune, I fully believe he'll be able to pull off the more heroic side to come in Parts II+

I'm most excited to see Florence Pugh as Princess Irulan. In the books, as far as I read and remember, she is only mentioned in the little excerpts at the start of each chapter. I'm interested in seeing the character on screen. I don't plan on reading the rest of the books. Maybe if we get movie adaptations. I read the summaries of them all and it sounds like after Messiah shit goes crazy.
I really like that main character. I think he's the next dicaprio. I especially loved his acting in 'the king' movie. Very good movie by the way.
I couldn't stand him but after Dune movie I quite like him as an actor.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I especially loved his acting in 'the king' movie. Very good movie by the way.

No.

Timothée Chalamet is a great actor, but the King was complete dog shit. No film has ever triggered me more than The King.

It's on a level with Braveheart when it comes to historical accuracy. It's that bad.

Fuck that film, and fuck everyone involved for having such a disrespect for history.

Top Bottom