• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2022 Cancelled , according to Jeff Grubb

Draugoth

Gold Member
e3-digital-event-cancelled.jpg

The news comes from reliable insider Jeff Grubb who recently uploaded a short video to his YouTube account discussing the E3 cancellation.

As reiterated by Grubb in his video, the physical E3 event has already been cancelled by the ESA. However, he goes on to state that “digitally probably also cancelled”.

So, although it’s looking like E3 won’t be present in any capacity for 2022, there’s still a lot to look forward to. According to Jeff Grubb, we’ve got the following events taking place throughout the year:

• January 27th = Elder Scrolls Online Event/Expansion/DLC
  • February 22nd – 24th = DICE Summit
  • February 25th = Elden Ring Release
  • March 21st – 25th = Game Developer Conference
  • May 4th = Star Wars Day
  • May 26th – 29th = Star Wars Celebration
  • Spring = Kingdom Hearts 20th Anniversary Event
  • Spring = Final Fantasy XVI Trailers & Information
  • June = Summer Game Fest / Virtual E3 (maybe)
  • August = Gamescom

Last edited:

Impotaku

I use to be so excited for E3 but that dropped as time went on. I didn't even know E3 2021 was occurring till a friend ask if I was watching a stream.

At this point, companies need to do their own online events.
Most tend to do just that, nintendo with their directs and others with their version of it.

Writing was on the wall when major companies like Nintendo and Sony dropped out. COVID really nailed in the last coffin by making it so they had to cancel in person and pushed digital shows.

As soon as they had that data leak, plus Sony leaving it was the beginning of the end for E3.

I'll always like that week and i'm nostalgic at how great those conferences were, honestly. But it's clear it makes no sense nowadays to present everything you got in development in a single week at the same time as all your competitors do as well.

GHG

Gold Member
What really killed it? The pandemic or allowing the steerage mouth breathers to attend.

Neither, the events industry as a whole was on a knife-egde anyway.

Social media killed it. Why do you need to wait for a once a year chance meeting at an event when you can simply send something like an inmail?

Lognor

Banned
I hope this isn't true. E3 is still a good time. With the virtual only E3 it hasn't been as good, but better than nothing. All these spread out events are not as good.

Bogeyman

Banned
Well it is probably the biggest release in 10 years.

Biggest release in terms of what?

I can't imagine it'll be anywhere near the top in terms of sales figures?
Don't get me wrong, I'd be ecstatic if a game like Elden Ring could out-sell your standard CoD, Fifa, or other stuff like that. But I can't quite imagine the audience for a non-streamlined fantasy game is quite as big

ZywyPL

Banned
All things change.

E3 needed the industry, the industry no longer needed E3.

It does, but if CGI, cinematics, teaser trailers and pre-rendered gameplays is all the publishers have to offer, then yeah, E3 is not needed. I miss the old days where a de walked out on the stage and actually played his game to show it off for the first time for the entire world. Now it's just, whatever, they're not showing the games at all really.

nowhat

I miss the old days where a de walked out on the stage and actually played his game to show it off for the first time for the entire world. Now it's just, whatever, they're not showing the games at all really.
How much you'd be able to trust E3 coverage given to a limited audience with strict restrictions *cough*Cyberpunk*cough* though?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It does, but if CGI, cinematics, teaser trailers and pre-rendered gameplays is all the publishers have to offer, then yeah, E3 is not needed. I miss the old days where a de walked out on the stage and actually played his game to show it off for the first time for the entire world. Now it's just, whatever, they're not showing the games at all really.
Sometimes when things change you lose some good fun things.

kingfey

Banned
Jan 27th this year is the Microsoft yearly earnings. The following weeks will have Sony and Nintendo too. Keep in mind on those weeks.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol we need to move on. I have attended packed baseball games. Every nfl game is sold out. Concerts and movies are in full swing. Wtf is up with the gaming industry.

This is the one event we have all year. One fucking event for us to look forward to.

Lame.

Last edited:
I'll wait for an official confirmation, thank you very much.

Gladly stopped paying attention to gaming insiders like a year ago. There are still a couple of gaming-adjacent ones I listen to, but they also tend to focus purely on hardware developments.

EDIT: Also sometimes I feel like these "E3 is cancelled" rumors are like weird cancel fetishism or something. The cool thing about E3 was that is brought the industry together and everyone had to directly compete in the same space. These isolated events don't have the same energy, and they seem like they're helping create even fiercer bubbled echo chambers (more radically stupid online console warring).

It'd be like going to a football game but each team's at their own stadium and so are their fans. Half the fun is having everyone comingle in the same space, you separate that and the vibe dies a lot. As good as some of these platform-specific events have been, they'll never truly replace stuff like E3 for that reason alone.

Last edited:

Elios83

The world has moved on.
Taking part to E3 means giving millions to the ESA just to be part of it, being forced to adjust your production schedule to whatever ESA has decided with zero possibility to delay even if it's just a week.
Companies have learned they can make their own events, also letting influencers talk and stream about their new games everywhere has much more impact than making a press event with IGN, GameSpot and the likes attending.
That is just the past.

Rac3r

E3 was awesome back in the day but it’s definitely not necessary anymore. It’s an outdated medium, especially amidst a pandemic where everything is becoming virtualized.

VN1X

Banned
E3 has become increasingly more boring and meaningless over the years anyway.

I'd much rather have devs hunker down and start the marketing machine a few months before launch instead of blowing their load prematurely at E3 and failing miserably on the actual release date.

Nautilus

Banned
Again?

What is the saddest thing for me is not that E3 is dying, but that is being slowly sent to the grave.I would very much have prefered if it was killed in one swing, instead of this torture.

I use to be so excited for E3 but that dropped as time went on. I didn't even know E3 2021 was occurring till a friend ask if I was watching a stream.

At this point, companies need to do their own online events.
I used to look forward to E3 myself.

Can remember how much hype surrounded the event and setting aside snacks to watch it live, sharing in the excitement of announcements on forums.
I thought another event was going to take E3's place but I also remember reading how much time it took for developers to prepare for E3 each year.

Just sad shit all around. I'm sad.

E3 is pointless these days, the xbox show is just a bunch of Youtube trailers one after the other with no live gameplay demonstrations, Sony doesn't show up anymore and I never watch whatever it is Nintendo does anyway. Ubisoft used to put on good shows, but they've gone downhill fast, EA always sucked, and Bethesda has no reason to do their own show anymore they are part of MS.

It's sad, really. Things have changed so much along the years. E3 was already nothing like it was before so maybe this is for the best.

Verchod

That's unfortunate. Since we've not had it, it's been terrible. Companies have shown little and it's been very sporadic. Having an event helps organise them together and helps give any reveals some anticipation.

SantaC

Biggest release in terms of what?

I can't imagine it'll be anywhere near the top in terms of sales figures?
Don't get me wrong, I'd be ecstatic if a game like Elden Ring could out-sell your standard CoD, Fifa, or other stuff like that. But I can't quite imagine the audience for a non-streamlined fantasy game is quite as big
In terms of being an actual good game. Not sales.

Top Bottom