• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: PS4+Xbox One install base at over 55m Worldwide.

demigod

I agree that it's a problem with these and estimates. Like IGN didn't really explain how this isn't some fact.

I've been seeing news on yahoo how these numbers are facts now and its ridiclous. Anyone who visits chartz know what they had it at before this announcement? They have Xbox One at 19.5m now, lol. I swear these guys adjust their numbers after they hear an announcement from either software or hardware.

I've been seeing news on yahoo how these numbers are facts now and its ridiclous. Anyone who visits chartz know what they had it at before this announcement? They have Xbox One at 19.5m now, lol. I swear these guys adjust their numbers after they hear an announcement from either software or hardware.

I have no problem viewing Chartz as "Our current best guess." They are doing what we all do. We try to figure out the sales data based on the few scraps of info that we get. What gets Chartz in trouble is that people oversell the accuracy of their data.

It's an estimate. I thought this was known. They are a publisher that relies on these consoles for sales. They would have subscriptions to research/analytical companies like IDG and also have MS/Sony themselves to get data from, and they have been a publisher for decades. They would have historical data on the 360/PS3.
What makes you think Sony or Microsoft share precise hardware sell-through numbers with EA? As for analytical companies, they're also estimating from available data. I'm not asking whether EA has some numbers they work with, I'm asking why you think that these numbers are very precise. Since you know they're estimates, possibly based on other estimates, that assertion seems strained.

And so what if it is a 5? What does that even mean? It can't be a coincidence that it happens to end in a 5, there must be something wrong!
Don't be ridiculous. Of course numbers that end with 0 or 5 in the units position can be precise. But you said it yourself, we know this particular number is an estimate. In addition, I know from years of personal experience the prevalence of rounded numbers when executives present data for internal meetings or public communication.

Doubting the precision of this number is logical, not paranoiac. If it helps you get over your weird anger, I'll explicitly say that there's also a possibility the number could be very precise: exactly 55.00 million units sold-through. But how likely does that sound to you?

Why are you assuming that this isn't true or is stretching the truth?
I'm assuming nothing of the kind. I totally agree with you that the number is true and was offered in good faith by EA. Where we differ is in our expectation of how precise the estimate is. You're adamant that it has to contain two significant digits, and I see no clear reason for that. Why could the underlying reality not be 53.4m, or 56.173m, or tons of other values?

Welfare

What makes you think Sony or Microsoft share precise hardware sell-through numbers with EA? As for analytical companies, they're also estimating from available data. I'm not asking whether EA has some numbers they work with, I'm asking why you think that these numbers are very precise. Since you know they're estimates, possibly based on other estimates, that assertion seems strained.

EA are partners with MS and Sony. I don't see how they wouldn't be able to ask them how their respective consoles are doing.

For sell through, everything is estimated. There will never be a super accurate, within 1% of actual data, estimate for sell through. However, these analytic companies aren't going to be off by a large percentage either.

MS and Sony have their own estimates for sell through and then look to companies like NPD and GFK to give them even more accurate data. NPD for instance has coverage of ~95% of the markets they track, with the other ~5% being estimated. GFK covers over 90% of all the regions they track. How much higher, I wouldn't know. Japan has 3 different trackers, Media Create, Famitsu, and Dengeki, with MC being used by the big 3.

At most, 8% of the world wide market is being estimated, with the other 92% being actual, precise data. Sell through data is going to be fairly accurate.

Don't be ridiculous. Of course numbers that end with 0 or 5 in the units position can be precise. But you said it yourself, we know this particular number is an estimate. In addition, I know from years of personal experience the prevalence of rounded numbers when executives present data for internal meetings or public communication.

Then you are questioning how much rounding is going into that 55m estimate.

Doubting the precision of this number is logical, not paranoiac. If it helps you get over your weird anger, I'll explicitly say that there's also a possibility the number could be very precise: exactly 55.00 million units sold-through. But how likely does that sound to you?

Not angry here. I'm not saying that it is in fact exactly 55m, but that the estimates are very close to that 55m number.

I'm assuming nothing of the kind. I totally agree with you that the number is true and was offered in good faith by EA. Where we differ is in our expectation of how precise the estimate is. You're adamant that it has to contain two significant digits, and I see no clear reason for that. Why could the underlying reality not be 53.4m, or 56.173m, or tons of other values?
I agree that it is not 55m, and yes, I think we differ on how precise/how much rounding is going into this number. I can see the number being in somewhere in the 54m range, but below that would be stretching how far the rounding is going in my eyes.

At most, 8% of the world wide market is being estimated, with the other 92% being actual, precise data.
These are completely spurious numbers, and ironically indicative of the very imprecision you refuse to allow for EA. You've taken two data points--NPD at 95% and GfK at somewhere over 90%--then handwaved the entire rest of the world and jumped arbitrarily to 92%.

But let's assume that you're somehow correct. That still leaves an enormous problem for your claim. An 8% margin of error means EA's estimate could cover anything from 50.6m to 59.4m. But you say anything below 54m would be stretching it. That's only 1.8%. Your conclusion requires EA to have data three or four times more accurate than your premises say is available to anyone.

I can see the number being in somewhere in the 54m range, but below that would be stretching how far the rounding is going in my eyes.
And we're right back at the crux of the problem. "In your eyes" is not data. Piled against your gut feeling are multiple factors:

Examples of greater rounding can be multiplied endlessly. You acknowledge that EA is presenting an estimate, based on other estimates combined with an unknown methodology. And even your best take on the margin of error is much larger than you'd require to be correct.

Again, I see plenty of reasons to believe the estimate to be fairly inexact, and no reasons to believe otherwise.

kiddCharlemagne

Neo Member
The gaming media covered PS in a 3:2 ratio as opposed to Xbox this past year, thoughts? source: http://icopartners.com/2016/01/2015-in-review-games-in-the-media/
xboxvps_monthly_articles_2015.png

RexNovis

Banned
Would that really affect game reporting every month? Even in months where xbox were the only console maker releasing exclusives?

No but being the overwhelmingly more popular platform WW would. Basically the only articles covering Xbox in any regular or substantive manner are coming from UK and US where as Playstation is covered all over the world in many different countries and languages.

PS4 also has 50% more software releases which would generate additional articles, and then there is Vita news and software and PS VR stories adding to the total. And considering the installed base advantage of 2:1 in addition to those factors it isn't strange at all that PlayStation gets more coverage.

Rembrandt

Banned
No but being the overwhelmingly more popular WW would. Basically the only articles covering Xbox in any regular or substantive manner are coming from UK and US where as Playstation is covered all over the world in many different countries and languages.

Yup, this is the reason. Not surprising.

oo7

Great time to be a gamer. Looking online I see a lot of "looks like Sony has won this gen!" "time to throw in thr towel MS!!!" Do people not realize that MS has had double the sales compared to the same timeframe with Xbox 360 and Sony has quadrupled their sales compared to the same time from with the PS3? I'm sure neither company is disappointed with sales tbh.

Whatatimetobealive.gif

Now just bring on the exclusive software to make it all worthwhile. #uncharted4 #gears4

RexNovis

Banned
Great time to be a gamer. Looking online I see a lot of "looks like Sony has won this gen!" "time to throw in thr towel MS!!!" Do people not realize that MS has had double the sales compared to the same timeframe with Xbox 360

No we don't realize that. You know why? Because it is completely wrong

XB1 is tracking at the same level as PS3 currently which is only marginally better than 360. It is a FAR cry from "double the sales."

Death2494

It's an estimate. I thought this was known. They are a publisher that relies on these consoles for sales. They would have subscriptions to research/analytical companies like IDG and also have MS/Sony themselves to get data from, and they have been a publisher for decades. They would have historical data on the 360/PS3.

And so what if it is a 5? What does that even mean? It can't be a coincidence that it happens to end in a 5, there must be something wrong!

Why are you assuming that this isn't true or is stretching the truth?
As i stated "estimate" should have been in the title of this thread to save everyone the confusion. This is the "10 million Xbox Ones sold" fiasco all over again. People should not extrapolate from conference calls because we rarely have the full and proper context. Claiming these numbers are sold through when a company is literally no longer including them in their quarterly reports is a little far-fetched. You cannot support this claim without knowing what report the CFO was citing when he made those claims. There are too many assumptions that need to be made arrive at either conclusion. This works for both arguments.

Death2494

EA are partners with MS and Sony. I don't see how they wouldn't be able to ask them how their respective consoles are doing.
Why would Microsoft choose to disclose that type of information to a 3rd party publisher rather than their own investors?

ethomaz

Banned
Sony numbers are public... EA just need to "guess" or ask to MS Xbone numbers.

Why would Microsoft choose to disclose that type of information to a 3rd party publisher rather than their own investors?
Even if MS didn't disclose these info to EA I'm sure they have access to all major trackers around the world.
EA can guess with a low margin of error how many consoles MS sold using these trackers.

They estimate MS sales ~19.1m (to reach these 55m with Sony numbers) and that can be 18m or 20m... the estimate will be close to the real number.

Great time to be a gamer. Looking online I see a lot of "looks like Sony has won this gen!" "time to throw in thr towel MS!!!" Do people not realize that MS has had double the sales compared to the same timeframe with Xbox 360 and Sony has quadrupled their sales compared to the same time from with the PS3? I'm sure neither company is disappointed with sales tbh.

Whatatimetobealive.gif

Now just bring on the exclusive software to make it all worthwhile. #uncharted4 #gears4
Xbone is barely tracking ahead 360 in the same time frame and most possible will be out passed when 360 enters in 2008 year...

Well PS4 we can say close to twice PS3.

Bolivar687

Banned
I have no problem viewing Chartz as "Our current best guess." They are doing what we all do. We try to figure out the sales data based on the few scraps of info that we get. What gets Chartz in trouble is that people oversell the accuracy of their data.

There are much better guesses out there. And while they have the luxury of press releases to calibrate their hardware number more accurately, they are completely making things up on the software side. That's what gets them in trouble.

PS4 also has 50% more software releases which would generate additional articles, and then there is Vita news and software and PS VR stories adding to the total. And considering the installed base advantage of 2:1 in addition to those factors it isn't strange at all that PlayStation gets more coverage.

Very well said. Even if it weren't for VR and the sales lead, PS4's larger library of exclusives offers more jumping points for coverage, regardless of how small or niche the games may be.

They estimate MS sales ~19.1m (to reach these 55m with Sony numbers) and that can be 18m or 20m... the estimate will be close to the real number.
Even this range represents 5% margin of error. That's the share of the US retail market NPD covers. So do you believe that the entire rest of the world is covered as accurately? Because that's what's required for such a range.

I'm not saying these numbers are wrong, mind you. Just that there's no way to confidwntly assign as much precision to the estimate as some folks wish.

ethomaz

Banned
Everyone is focused on Sony that any good news for Microsoft gets scoffed at. The fact that they are ahead of the 360 is great news.
MS needs to increase sales to maintain ahead 360.
2008/2009 start to see a grow of 360 in EU countries that for now I can't see on Xbone side.

Even this range represents 5% margin of error. That's the share of the US retail market NPD covers. So do you believe that the entire rest of the world is covered as accurately? Because that's what's required for such a range.

I'm not saying these numbers are wrong, mind you. Just that there's no way to confidwntly assign as much precision to the estimate as some folks wish.
I do believe EA have access to these data:

NPD (US, Canada, Australia and New Zeland)
GFK (Almost full EU, some Afrika and Middle East countries, some Latin American countries, etc)
MC (Japan)

I believe their estimates have covers over 70-80% of 42 Xbone launched countries.
So it is not like they are blind in how the sales are in others countries outside US.

Eg. Brazil and India are tracked by GFK.

oo7

Xbone is barely tracking ahead 360 in the same time frame and most possible will be out passed when 360 enters in 2008 year...

Well PS4 we can say close to twice PS3.

I'm confused because the charts I saw showed 360 just a little over 10 mil after the first 2 years.

Raist

Banned
Watching the IGN interview with Greenberg, he talks about the engagement measure (relates to MAUs). If people want to get a better idea of why it's an important measure, time mark 1:02:30 from:
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/02/01/unfiltered-episode-3-aaron-greenberg-talks-xbox-successes-failures-and-future

The kind of stuff he's talking about has its uses yes.
The MAU thing they started using as a replacement for sales/shipments is a useless metric - they just use it because that's the only "impressive" number they have.

leeh

The MAU thing they started using as a replacement for sales/shipments is a useless metric - they just use it because that's the only "impressive" number they have.
That's the business focus, it'll come down from the CEO. It's a good reason in fairness IMO.

RexNovis

Banned
I'm confused because the charts I saw showed 360 just a little over 10 mil after the first 2 years.

So you completely ignored the chart I just posted that tells you all you needed to know then? Well that tells me all I need to know.

oo7

So you completely ignored the chart I just posted that tells you all you needed to know then? Well that tells me all I need to know.

If you google xbox 360 sales charts you'll get contradicting information. I did look at the chart you posted, sorry for not reading yours as 100% fact. No need to be a smartass.

RexNovis

Banned
If you google xbox 360 sales charts you'll get contradicting information. I did look at the chart you posted, sorry for not reading yours as 100% fact. No need to be a smartass.

I googled it and the only chart that gives information contrary to what I posted and similar to your assertions is this one

Does it say WW sales? No it says NPD. NPD charts are for US sales only not WW. Furthermore why would would you look past/ disregard the "U.S" in the titles of the 9 other charts that come up before that one when searching for "xbox 360 sales chart"
all of which indicate these are not WW figures?

We here in sales gaf are sticklers for numbers. Mainly, we insist on accurate numbers (or informed estimates where exact figures are unavailable). So when someone comes into a sales thread spouting incoherent sales nonsense about wildly inaccurate numbers and then disregards the corrected information that is given to them they're gonna have a bad time.

TBiddy

BTW Halo 3 shipped 8.1m units from Sep 25th, 2007 to end of 2007... crazy how bad Halo 5 numbers are.

Are there any new numbers on Halo 5?

oo7 - meet RexNovis. He's unable not to be an ass. In case you didn't know, it's cool to be an ass.

TBiddy

Guys chillax, might just be a honest mistake.
That WW shipment graph is bull anyway. Well, at least for the XB1.

Yeah, not everyone has an hidden agenda, and not everyone follows the sales as closely as some of you guys do. No need to jump on him like that.

Except Live MAU is significantly behind PSN, despite the enormous boost from W10 users. They report their Lumia sales despite them being only ~1% of the market, and I'm fairly sure Bone's doing better than that.

Their financial reports exist to report on the state of their business interests. They're not PR, and any attempts to "hide" things or otherwise obfuscate the true state of the business will actually get them in to serious trouble with the law. If something is excluded from the report, it doesn't tell you anything apart from the fact that they don't really consider it a part of their business worth "seriously" investing in and growing. If they did, they'd be telling us how that was going, good or bad, just as they do with the stuff they do care about investing in, like the Lumia.

Raist

Banned
Except Live MAU is significantly behind PSN, despite the enormous boost from W10 users. They report their Lumia sales despite them being only ~1% of the market, and I'm fairly sure Bone's doing better than that.

Their financial reports exist to report on the state of their business interests. They're not PR, and any attempts to "hide" things or otherwise obfuscate the true state of the business will actually get them in to serious trouble with the law. If something is excluded from the report, it doesn't tell you anything apart from the fact that they don't really consider it a part of their business worth "seriously" investing in and growing. If they did, they'd be telling us how that was going, good or bad, just as they do with the stuff they do care about investing in, like the Lumia.

It's impressive because that's a number they can use to show a 30% growth. Which is very big. I mean why do they use clear revenues for other stuff then? They could just say "we had 13% more people using office online" or whatever.

You're being naive if you don't think the financial reports don't go through the hands of the PR department, and that the whole point of PR is to try to reports facts in the best way possible. And so that includes not mentioning some of them.

So yes, going from shipments to combined shipments to MAU is "hiding" stuff. You can bet that they wouldn't do this if the XB1 was trouncing the PS4.

And the MAU metric is a) useless because it includes people who spent twelve hours a day playing Halo 5 online all the way to people who switched they XB1 once to check their TV guide b) misleading because they keep mentioning it in regards to the xbox platform, although it includes pretty much all their platforms now.

It's impressive because that's a number they can use to show a 30% growth. Which is very big. I mean why do they use clear revenues for other stuff then? They could just say "we had 13% more people using office online" or whatever.
They use MAU because it's a metric that's relevant to one of their primary business interests; online services. It's basically the equivalent of a retailer reporting on their foot traffic. No, it doesn't tell you how much money they're making — there are other numbers for that — but it does give you a good idea of how much opportunity they have for monetization, just like foot traffic in retail.

I think stuff like Office is reported as pure revenue because volume pricing makes unit sales not especially relevant. Including them kinda would be puffery, because it's very easy for them to give you 13% more licenses "just because we like you."

You're being naive if you don't think the financial reports don't go through the hands of the PR department, and that the whole point of PR is to try to reports facts in the best way possible. And so that includes not mentioning some of them.
Well, perhaps I am. I'd be kinda surprised if anyone other than the lawyers and accounts had a say in what goes in to the financials. Do you have anything to indicate PR filters this stuff?

So yes, going from shipments to combined shipments to MAU is "hiding" stuff. You can bet that they wouldn't do this if the XB1 was trouncing the PS4.
Well, if Bone was trouncing PS4, they may not be getting out of the console business, but whatever the cause(s), that's what their financial reports tell us they're doing. The console business didn't survive the refocus. Maybe it would've if it was doing better, or maybe it was doomed the moment Nadella took the helm, but either way, they're done with it now.

Again, Lumia seems to be getting an even worse trouncing than Bone, so I'm not sure why you're so convinced the score determines whether or not something gets reported.

And the MAU metric is a) useless because it includes people who spent twelve hours a day playing Halo 5 online all the way to people who switched they XB1 once to check their TV guide b) misleading because they keep mentioning it in regards to the xbox platform, although it includes pretty much all their platforms now.
It's not useless, but yes, it's of fairly limited use on its own. You need to combine it with ARPPU and that sort of thing to get a full picture of the health of the business.

But I'd argue that you're the one who thinks of "XBox" as a piece of hardware, and MS have made it quite clear that the hardware is no longer relevant at all. XBox Live is the portion of the XBox business that survived the refocus. Well, that and the game development. But when they talk about the health of XBox now, they're not referring to consoles in any way, just the network service itself, and the games they're making. Consoles are only mentioned in reference to the effect they have on revenue, and then only because you need to report all significant changes in revenue, whatever the source.

Kinan

Updated my graphs with latest data and also thrown in bonus N64 graph for the first time. As you can see, X1 is pretty close to it. :)

Also update on PS4 shipped vs sold, as healthy as it can realistically be, imo.

For X1 used the 19M+-1M point, which is quite realistic estimate, according to this thread. :)

duckroll

We here in sales gaf are sticklers for numbers. Mainly, we insist on accurate numbers (or informed estimates where exact figures are unavailable). So when someone comes into a sales thread spouting incoherent sales nonsense about wildly inaccurate numbers and then disregards the corrected information that is given to them they're gonna have a bad time.

Actually, I think we would like SalesGAF to be seen as a community which is interested in the numbers but also helpful and informative when people who are less informed are also interested in numbers. No need to be an ass about it. If you think someone is manipulating information on purpose, you can complain to a mod, if you think it is a genuine mistake, you can help them out without coming off as a dick.

Raist

Banned
Updated my graphs with latest data and also thrown in bonus N64 graph for the first time. As you can see, X1 is pretty close to it. :)

Nice. for the XB1 I assume you used the "better than 360" range? I think you might want to make the uncertainty range a bit wider on that one.

edit: just saw your 2nd comment. Doesn't look like 19+/-1 on the graph? Also the 360 was at 17.7, doesn't look like it either.

Kinan

Nice. for the XB1 I assume you used the "better than 360" range? I think you might want to make the uncertainty range a bit wider on that one.

edit: just saw your 2nd comment. Doesn't look like 19+/-1 on the graph? Also the 360 was at 17.7, doesn't look like it either.

The points are at correct places, it just an optical illusion makes them seem lower than they are. :)

Raist

Banned
The points are at correct places, it just an optical illusion makes them seem lower than they are. :)

Yeah I was just thinking that actually.
I think it'd help if you added the horizontal markers things with dashed lines for every major scale points - assuming you're using Excel.

Kinan

Yeah I was just thinking that actually.
I think it'd help if you added the horizontal markers things with dashed lines for every major scale points - assuming you're using Excel.

Your wish is my command. :)

And no, I'm not using Excel (hate that for graphs actually), I'm using Origin (scientific plotting/data analysis software)

RexNovis

Banned
Guys chillax, might just be a honest mistake.
That WW shipment graph is bull anyway. Well, at least for the XB1.

The graph purposefully used the high end of the XB1 estimates just to show the best case scenario. It's not wrong it's just painting the most optimistic informed estimate for the figures. Probably should have used a shaded range instead though you're right.

Also update on PS4 shipped vs sold, as healthy as it can realistically be, imo.

For X1 used the 19M+-1M point, which is quite realistic estimate, according to this thread. :)

Cheers for these! What's your sourcing in your sales figures? It looks about the same for the data I have with a little variance here and there. Just curious where you got your numbers from and if I need to adjust mine.

It's crazy how close PS4 has maintained the Shipped:Sell through gap since release. Albeit I do think this past holiday season saw the biggest gap this far (~1.8 million). Still impressive.

The range shading in your XB1 line is a bit tricky to distinguish thanks to it being such a bright color. Any chance you could swap to a darker shade of some kind? Otherwise it's pretty much spot on. Really cool seeing how sales stack up to other gens. Do you mind if we repost/share these in other threads? If not I'll be bookmarking them for later reference.

Your wish is my command. :)

And no, I'm not using Excel (hate that for graphs actually), I'm using Origin (scientific plotting/data analysis software)

I've never been able to get proper graphs out of excel for whatever reason either. I just gave up.

Actually, I think we would like SalesGAF to be seen as a community which is interested in the numbers but also helpful and informative when people who are less informed are also interested in numbers. No need to be an ass about it. If you think someone is manipulating information on purpose, you can complain to a mod, if you think it is a genuine mistake, you can help them out without coming off as a dick.

Fair enough. I could've been less confrontational. I took his post as ignoring the information provided and being coy about it. Going back now I probably misread it. I'll make an effort to be slower on the draw with the acerbic sarcasm in the future.

Raist

Banned
The graph purposefully used the high end of the XB1 estimates just to show the best case scenario. It's not wrong it's just painting the most optimistic informed estimate for the figures. Probably should have used a shaded range instead though you're right.

I don't think it's informed at all. And these error bars are just weird. They're completely arbitrary and look like they were put in there just to pretend there's some uncertainty but it's super small, and exactly the same across all data points.

They use MAU because it's a metric that's relevant to one of their primary business interests; online services. It's basically the equivalent of a retailer reporting on their foot traffic. No, it doesn't tell you how much money they're making — there are other numbers for that — but it does give you a good idea of how much opportunity they have for monetization, just like foot traffic in retail.
Thinking about this a bit more, MAU and foot traffic are kind of akin to console unit sales; they don't really tell you about the business' health so much as its potential. Since consoles are typically sold at cost or even at a loss, selling 1M or 10M of them doesn't really say anything about how successful your business is, because that all comes later. Like MAU and foot traffic, console sales just show the general interest in your business, and the potential for monetization.

Obviously, console buyers are typically far more invested than someone logging in to check their messages or killing time at Best Buy, and therefore typically seen as more valuable per customer, but it's still basically the same metric applied to a different business. But yeah, it's also important to know when you have users who are more invested than most, which is why Live MAU is differentiated from general Windows usage and stuff; those users have specifically expressed an interest in gaming, so that tells us a bit more about their habits and the stuff they like to spend money on.

Raist

Banned
those users have specifically expressed an interest in gaming, so that tells us a bit more about their habits and the stuff they like to spend money on.

Nope, because you'll be a part of that metric even if all you do is use your windows phone to watch shows on netflix during your commute to work. Just to cite one of many such examples.

Top Bottom