• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA staff threaten walkout over lack of statements during Pride Month (Up: cancelled as EA confirm they wont change logo for pride)

//DEVIL//

Lack of support here is disturbing. Here's something for representation.

cruel intentions GIF by IFC
This means shit to me if no guy come later and fuck them both. It starts hot when they are kissing and stuff but half way through when she wear a dildo and pretend she is a guy...that's just sad

nush

It's not all gamers, just the ones who are vocal on forums and social media. Thanks for providing an example of a series that plays into satire utilizing gay culture in a partially satirical way with a side character. Gay tony was superb and if you want to use it as an example fine. But if I say tlou2, LIS, tell me why...the outrage from the same vocal community was just about, you know like, the story man.

You just NPC'd "Not like that" when shown an example of representation.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's not all gamers, just the ones who are vocal on forums and social media. Thanks for providing an example of a series that plays into satire utilizing gay culture in a partially satirical way with a side character. Gay tony was superb and if you want to use it as an example fine. But if I say tlou2, LIS, tell me why...the outrage from the same vocal community was just about, you know like, the story man.

Why am I not surprised you doubled down on the baseless generalizations/accusations?

You just NPC'd "Not like that" when shown an example of representation.
idk what npc'd means.

Why am I not surprised you doubled down on the baseless generalizations/accusations?
Baseless, sure. Regardless the creators and employees of these companies continue to push for representation I'm happy with the direction of the industry and don't care what those who are outraged about it think.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
idk what npc'd means.

Baseless, sure. Regardless the creators and employees of these companies continue to push for representation I'm happy with the direction of the industry and don't care what those who are outraged about it think.

NPC, Non Player Character. Meaning you are acting like a preprogrammed AI that spouts the same tired shit that has been disproven time and again, being unable to think for yourself.

I am all for Representation, but it needs to be *good* representation. Not tokenism, like so many are doing these days.

Shouldn't laugh at either. Hair loss is a genuine source of anxiety for men. I think we should genuinely be more vocal about not making fun of that as men.
We absolutely should laugh at both, in the proper situations. Such as when a comedian makes a joke.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
NPC, Non Player Character. Meaning you are acting like a preprogrammed AI that spouts the same tired shit that has been disproven time and again, being unable to think for yourself.

I am all for Representation, but it needs to be *good* representation. Not tokenism, like so many are doing these days.

We absolutely should laugh at both, in the proper situations. Such as when a comedian makes a joke.
Ya. People make fun of hair loss all the time. At work I think just about every guy smirks with some self-deprecating jokes about his shiny head. And everyone has a good laugh.

I have never seen one guy ever get seriously mad at a bald joke aimed at him. If someone brings it up, he'll usually laugh with everyone and give some background info like he started losing his hair in his 20s or 30s, and then at some point just shaved it off.

Not the end of the world.

I'm overweight. I'm 230 lbs so I'm a good 50 lbs overweight. Everyone (including me) has a laugh I'm chubby. I even told some of them on conference call that when I went back to the office (hybrid started recently), I tried on button shirts I used to wear and they are too tight now. We all laughed. Who cares.

Problem with people is they take every nuance as if everyone is Hitler with a bullseye on their head for human obliteration. Sometimes people just want a laugh.

The best part is when a lot of these groups complain thinking everyone is out to get them. As if the average person walking down the street or at the mall doing their own thing really gives a shit about whether that person 10 ft away is gay or lesbian. Soe of them seem to think every straight person is out to nail them to a cross spending 24/7 planning how to do it.

I know what an NPC is obviously, but when you said npc'd i was confused. But oh okay got you. I'm sheeple basically. Copy.

Anything can be humorous, but it doesn't mean that its automatically funny. Theres a ton of bad comedians. If dane cook made a joke about a bald person it won't be as funny as if Dave Chapelle probably did. Plus good comedy, imo usually punches up...making fun of a balding billionaire is far funnier than making fun of a balding cancer patient. It's in context. But regardless, its about it being funny not just cruel. Most jokes thrown at bald men be extremely bottom of the barrel.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Anything can be humorous, but it doesn't mean that its automatically funny. Theres a ton of bad comedians. If dane cook made a joke about a bald person it won't be as funny as if Dave Chapelle probably did. Plus good comedy, imo usually punches up...making fun of a balding billionaire is far funnier than making fun of a balding cancer patient. It's in context. But regardless, its about it being funny not just cruel. Most jokes thrown at bald men be extremely bottom of the barrel.
True.

But at what point is a joke deemed in bad taste vs. it's ok?

If only 5 people in the world complain is it deemed a bad joke? 500? 5,000?

There's almost 8 billion people in the world which can see or hear a joke or tweet.

nush

The representation they want is a very very, specific representation, you won't see them pushing for more Indians, Vietnamese, Brazillians or Inuits in media. Or short men or celibate people or people with visual physical disabilities. When people call out woke they are actually calling out the agenda pushing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The representation they want is a very very, specific representation, you won't see them pushing for more Indians, Vietnamese, Brazillians or Inuits in media. Or short men or celibate people or people with visual physical disabilities. When people call out woke they are actually calling out the agenda pushing.
I've never once seen anyone push for more Latinos in video games and they are the biggest racial minority group in the US, plus tons of Latin folks in Central and South America, Spain, and where ever else there's big pockets of Latin/Hispanic folks.

Yet video game makers (with all their worldy wisdom on ethics and political hot topics on Twitter) barely make any characters based on their heritage.

nush

I know what an NPC is obviously, but when you said npc'd i was confused. But oh okay got you. I'm sheeple basically. Copy.

Can a cancer patient make jokes about himself? If they do can you laugh at those jokes or is that punching down?

nush

I've never once seen anyone push for more Latinos in video games and they are the biggest racial minority group in the US, plus tons of Latin folks in Central and South America, Spain, and where ever else there's big pockets of Latin/Hispanic folks.

Yet video game makers (with all their worldy wisdom on ethics and political hot topics on Twitter) barely make any characters based on their heritage.

There's only two types of latinos, gang members and hot female love interest.

Can a cancer patient make jokes about himself? If they do can you laugh at those jokes or is that punching down.
You can laugh at anything funny. Going down a list of very specific situation in "gotchas" an unproductive waste of time. I think you get the overall idea of what I'm saying tho, agree or not.

Communities in those groups have pushed for representation. Especially disabled people. If it wasn't for the push from disabled people the major boon in accessibility features wouldn't be there. Again as in my past post, when people complain about woke they I kind of ignore it because like I said the same complaints happened in the past with gay couples, interracial couples, black main characters, Asian main characters etc. At the end of the day how does the agenda affect those so against it. If it were harmful I'd understand. An agenda to say push eating unhealthy I'm against. But an agenda to push more gay characters does no harm for the most part. Even if every video game character was straight we'd still have trash games.

nush

Especially disabled people. If it wasn't for the push from disabled people the major boon in accessibility features wouldn't be there.

Representation and accessibility are two totally different things my dude. You're not very good at this because you are simply parroting what you've heard other people say and passing those opinions off as your own without any critical thinking.

Devils advocate, why don't you answer your rhetorical question "At the end of the day how does the agenda affect those so against it.". Pick something a media property, you can choose what you like Ghostbusters, Star Trek, Star Wars, The Last of Us 2, MCU whatever.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
What kind of snowflake bullshit is this? They don't change the Flag to represent their life choices and they get mad and walk out? Fuck em! This woke bullshit makes me want to vomit. I don't care that your gay, straight or whatever. The fact that people love to shout form the heavens that their gay/trans/bye is the issue. People don't shout from the heavens they are hetrosexual so why is it ok in the gay world. All things equal then we should have a straight pride parade at some point. It's your own fucking business who you love to screw just stop shoving it down everyone's throat. These people preach equality but what the woke really want is special treatment.

Last edited:
Representation and accessibility are two totally different things my dude. You're not very good at this because you are simply parroting what you've heard other people say and passing those opinions off as your own without any critical thinking.
Representation and pressure from the community is what led to these features becoming more fleshed out. They companies didn't just wake up and go "okay lets do this"> Alot of people put in a lot of leg work.
Devils advocate, why don't you answer your rhetorical question "At the end of the day how does the agenda affect those so against it.". Pick something a media property, you can choose what you like Ghostbusters, Star Trek, Star Wars, The Last of Us 2, MCU whatever.
Devils advocate is a lazy way of making ones point. Just say whats on your mind.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What kind of snowflake bullshit is this? They don't change the Flag to represent their life choices and they get mad and walk out? Fuck em! This woke bullshit makes me want to vomit. I don't care that your gay, straight or whatever. The fact that people love to shout form the heavens that their gay/trans/bye is the issue. People don't shout from the heavens they are hetrosexual so why is it ok in the gay world. All things equal then we should have a straight pride parade at some point. It's your own fucking business who you love to screw just stop shoving it down everyone's throat. These people preach equality but what the woke really want is special treatment.
Many love the attention.

Which contradicts what some of the same group of people want which is "We want to blend in with everyone else. In fact most of us you cant even tell".

Cant have it both ways, but it's pushed.

If people or the media ignore it, they get labeled as anti this or that. But if you push the flamboyant side (which seems to get the most attention like Pride parades), you can also get labeled a stereotyper.

So that's why showcasing a political viewpoint on the topic isn't worth risking for many companies. Because once you do, there can be expectation you keep doing it forever. So many just stay quiet and hope they can just focus on business instead of getting pulled into hot topic politics.

nush

Devils advocate is a lazy way of making ones point. Just say whats on your mind.

That's the second time you've ducked a question from me because your NPC script doesn't have a ctrl + C, ctrl + V answer. Come on, try and answer it, think for yourself.

That's the second time you've ducked a question from me because your NPC script doesn't have a ctrl + C, ctrl + V answer. Come on, try and answer it, think for yourself.
I see the productivity of this conversation is going nowhere. What games you playing rn?

Communities in those groups have pushed for representation. Especially disabled people. If it wasn't for the push from disabled people the major boon in accessibility features wouldn't be there. Again as in my past post, when people complain about woke they I kind of ignore it because like I said the same complaints happened in the past with gay couples, interracial couples, black main characters, Asian main characters etc. At the end of the day how does the agenda affect those so against it. If it were harmful I'd understand. An agenda to say push eating unhealthy I'm against. But an agenda to push more gay characters does no harm for the most part. Even if every video game character was straight we'd still have trash games.
Any agenda to push anything makes the media worse. Writers should be trying to make good stories, not trying to convince consumers there are more gay people than there actually are or that they are better people than straight people, or whatever

Also, when writers are trying to include every race/gender/sexual preference in every movie, while at the same time trying to reverse what they believe peoples prejudices about each group are, the movie/game/whatever tends to turn out shit. Making a good story that feels real is difficult enough without any additional hurdles.

Any agenda to push anything makes the media worse. Writers should be trying to make good stories, not trying to convince consumers there are more gay people than there actually are or that they are better people than straight people, or whatever

Also, when writers are trying to include every race/gender/sexual preference in every movie, while at the same time trying to reverse what they believe peoples prejudices about each group are, the movie/game/whatever tends to turn out shit. Making a good story that feels real is difficult enough without any additional hurdles.
Media hasn't gotten worse. So that point imo is just kind of moot. Outside of the "back in my day " line of thinking the quality of many mediums aren't any worse than they used to be. Plus a lot of artist put it in their work by choice. Also why do you see diversity as a hurdle? It's just telling stories different from perspectives not heard as much.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Um, no. I didn’t call you that.

You are correct in so far that not everything is funny to everyone. However, just because you don’t find punching down to be funny doesn’t mean that it isn’t funny. Just because *you* think it is bottom of the barrel doesn’t mean that I or many other balding or bald men do.

Exactly. No one will say no to diverse characters as long as they are well written and make sense given the world and title being designed. Look at Street Fighter! It has been one of the most diverse games for *decades*. Japanese, American, Indian, Brazilian, Arabian and more - represented well and with care and love. Then you have trash like 2064 Read Only Memories that treat you like dirt and like the villain to push an agenda (There is a heavy trans allegory character that is an absolute ass and you have to prostrate yourself to her and act like *you* are the bad person if you want the good ending). Its fucking miserable. But of course, if you call it you, the same slacktivist asshats will call *you* transphobic despite it having nothing to do with the trans character and everything to do with the poor writing and the writer’s blatant agenda.

Then there is Celeste. A game I *loved* when it released and still mostly enjoy to this day. A wonderful platformer with a poignant story about anxiety and it was left vague enough so that anyone can fill in the blanks on *what* that anxiety was. Then the devs decided to come out over a year after and push an agenda on behalf of their musician claiming it was because she was trans the entire time. Which absolutely damages the reach the game’s story has. Its still a good story, but it is *lessened* by explicitly stating something that allowed a wider reaching audience (including many transfolks) to associate with.

Are there racist and bigoted asshats who cry at the idea of diversity? Of course there are, but they are such an absolutely tiny minority that they aren’t even worth bringing up. Anyone who points to them and tries to use it as a “gotcha!” moment is horribly ignorant themselves and fail to understand that they don‘t even represent a *fraction* of a fraction of the industry.

nush

Are there racist and bigoted asshats who cry at the idea of diversity? Of course there are, but they are such an absolutely tiny minority that they aren’t even worth bringing up. Anyone who points to them and tries to use it as a “gotcha!” moment is horribly ignorant themselves and fail to understand that they don‘t even represent a *fraction* of a fraction of the industry.

And guess who gets actively searched for and signal boosted?

Both of his examples TLOU2 and LIS sold millions of units. The "UGH GAMERS!" rhetoric needs to die.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
And guess who gets actively searched for and signal boosted?

Both of his examples TLOU2 and LIS sold millions of units. The "UGH GAMERS!" rhetoric needs to die.

Yep. Never understood it as people who claim to “hate gamers” are gamers themselves. And then they get offended when you call them that.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
How do any actual LGB people feel about this?

It's sounds offensive to me that these employees were threatening EA over harmlessly supporting Pride Month just because they wouldn't explicitly make some statement about trans people. But I'm not gay or bi.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How do any actual LGB people feel about this?

It's sounds offensive to me that these employees were threatening EA over harmlessly supporting Pride Month just because they wouldn't explicitly make some statement about trans people. But I'm not gay or bi.
I dont know how many people work at EA because google says 9,800, but the article in the OP says 13,000. Doesnt really matter.

I'm more curious out of those 10-13k employees, how many of them actually give a shit about it. Because there's surely no way all 13,000 employees truly care as the article specifies.

You never know. It might be 40 people crusading, making it look like it represents all 10k+ workers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

That’s probably why I enjoy watching documentaries. It’s real life stuff as it is with those people and setting. No asshat writers making their own weird world trying to be ethics masters with whatever political or hiring ratios they got force feed into it.

Media hasn't gotten worse. So that point imo is just kind of moot. Outside of the "back in my day " line of thinking the quality of many mediums aren't any worse than they used to be. Plus a lot of artist put it in their work by choice. Also why do you see diversity as a hurdle? It's just telling stories different from perspectives not heard as much.
I didn't call diversity itself a hurdle. I don't think a story is worse just because there are people from different places, with different genders, sex preferences, etc...
What I called a hurdle is forced woke diversity, as in, mandatory presence of every race/gender/sexual preference in the book, and asigning virtue to each character in a proportionally inverse amount to the degree of victimization you think they suffer in society, etc... these kind of stories feel artifical, fake and boring. To me, it's just the writers narcissistically jerking off thinking how good they are compared to everybody else, acting like they are the only non(racist/sexist/homophobic) people in the planet and teaching everybody else how to be as virtuous as they are.

Last edited:

Raploz

The best part is when a lot of these groups complain thinking everyone is out to get them. As if the average person walking down the street or at the mall doing their own thing really gives a shit about whether that person 10 ft away is gay or lesbian. Some of them seem to think every straight person is out to nail them to a cross spending 24/7 planning how to do it.

While generally people don't care as long as it's not brought up, that doesn't mean some people don't care. Coincidentally, I've just came across this post while browsing through Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/askgaybros/comments/v5437l/im_tired_of_having_to_fight_to_be_treated_human/

Awful situation, and looking at his profile, this doesn't seem like a made-up story either. If things like that happen in a country like Canada, it's clear even the west has a long way to go before things can be truly equal. This is why I support any movement that aims to bring awareness and normalize LGBT people, including companies trying to capitalize on pride. Societal changes only happen when there's a push for change coming from somewhere, and a good message to the general public, even with the ultimate goal being virtue signaling and increased profits, still engages people to make those necessary societal changes. That doesn't mean I think companies should be forced to make a political statement though. I believe EA, as a private company, has every right to not want to get involved, and I don't aprove of people trying to force them, however, I do see value in companies that do want to do something.

SkylineRKR

So much for being woke; They have to wake up and realize this is all just pandering anyway. For some odd reason, other markets like China are often left out of these discussions. Disney goes full woke, but do they display Boyega on the Chinese SW poster? No. Because they pander to different markets. There is absolutely nothing heartfelt in these actions and those whiners should stop whining about it, or quit their job. So what if EA changes a logo on here? They won't do it in Asia lol. Does that make the employees feel better, knowing they don't give a shit in other parts of the globe?

I didn't call diversity itself a hurdle. I don't think a story is worse just because there are people from different places, with different genders, sex preferences, etc...
What I called a hurdle is forced woke diversity, as in, mandatory presence of every race/gender/sexual preference in the book, and asigning virtue to each character in a proportionally inverse amount to the degree of victimization you think they suffer in society, etc... these kind of stories feel artifical, fake and boring. To me, it's just the writers narcissistically jerking off thinking how good they are compared to everybody else, acting like they are the only non(racist/sexist/homophobic) people in the planet and teaching everybody else how to be as virtuous as they are.
But if the totality of art hasnt gotten worse and a segment of people feel more accepted and confident seeing themselves in media why does it matter? Like to you its the writers jerking off, but as a black person who used to literally have us depicted as thugs and or bafoons its good to see writers taking an effort to change that perception. Im not gay but it doesnt bother me to see gay people get better representation in media. and if it does bother you theres art out there you can watch where that still isnt a problem. so I just dont get whining about progress.

Vognerful

While generally people don't care as long as it's not brought up, that doesn't mean some people don't care. Coincidentally, I've just came across this post while browsing through Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/askgaybros/comments/v5437l/im_tired_of_having_to_fight_to_be_treated_human/

Awful situation, and looking at his profile, this doesn't seem like a made-up story either. If things like that happen in a country like Canada, it's clear even the west has a long way to go before things can be truly equal. This is why I support any movement that aims to bring awareness and normalize LGBT people, including companies trying to capitalize on pride. Societal changes only happen when there's a push for change coming from somewhere, and a good message to the general public, even with the ultimate goal being virtue signaling and increased profits, still engages people to make those necessary societal changes. That doesn't mean I think companies should be forced to make a political statement though. I believe EA, as a private company, has every right to not want to get involved, and I don't aprove of people trying to force them, however, I do see value in companies that do want to do something.
People have a very short memory, and history tells us that the rights we have were not given by the generosity of the ruler or the majority of population. far from it.

And I am not talking about LGBT+ or civil rights only! Slavery, labor rights (child labor, 2 days weekend, and many other rights) were fought over and people died for it. There were letteral was in streets between labor movements and police/capitalists where people died to be able to gain more rights as workers.

That is why even though I personally may still have issues with gay or trans people from "moral or social" view, I know that at the end of the day whatever more rights they gain, it means less chance (or think of more buffer of protection) that rights of labors, minorities or immigrants would be taken.

so, fight the good fight.

Last edited:
That’s probably why I enjoy watching documentaries. It’s real life stuff as it is with those people and setting. No asshat writers making their own weird world trying to be ethics masters with whatever political or hiring ratios they got force feed into it.
If anything documentaries are "better" at pushing narrative x, y or z... Just watch that early 2000s fake moon landing documentary.

Quotes taken out of context can be very convincing!

But if the totality of art hasnt gotten worse and a segment of people feel more accepted and confident seeing themselves in media why does it matter? Like to you its the writers jerking off, but as a black person who used to literally have us depicted as thugs and or bafoons its good to see writers taking an effort to change that perception. Im not gay but it doesnt bother me to see gay people get better representation in media. and if it does bother you theres art out there you can watch where that still isnt a problem. so I just dont get whining about progress.
I'm not bothered by black people or gay people getting "good representation". I'm just saying that if you define the personality of your characters by their race or gender, and make it the same for every movie, it's going to get old fast and nobody is going to want to watch it.

Top Bottom