• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Why "increasingly frustrated journalists" need MS to reveal its new Xbox

Satchel

Banned
Yes Microsoft, quick, bend to the internets will. We're all savvy business folk running international corporations and we know what's good for you.

Maxim726X

Seriously though, I find it pretty appalling how much people here are dismissing the next iteration of Kinect and they have no idea about how much better the tech will be.

Even if the tech is great- I don't want to play games that way. I want to be a lazy piece of shit and sit in front of my TV, as most people who play games do.

This is not a good answer to the question/problem at hand. Microsoft is currently being run very poorly and all you can do is post a picture in response?

Microsoft needs to create some momentum for this thing and start creating some good press.

That was one of Microsoft employ's attitude and perhaps it mimics the environment he works within

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Even i cant wait - i love this Boss like "i dont give a fuck" attitude by MS. 360 finishing this gen on a high...and they're taking advantage of that with their next console.

Is 360 and XBL one MS most successful project in the last decade? They're making money from the damn thing..outside of Windows and Office that must be huge for MS.

Keep (MS should) trolling hater GAF. Sell millions. I love this.

Can't believe people like you are real.

eastmen

Banned
I dont get this. Yes when ms announces it will give them something to talk about for a single issue but then we are back at the same situation we are at now. The only diffrnce id they can put doen if a game will be on the xbox.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
The only diffrnce id they can put doen if a game will be on the xbox.

Voice recognition fail or are you typing with your elbows? :p

I hope they do not announce anything, all the speculation and rumors is amazing fodder for dozens of threads a day on the internets...

Hellion

The amounts of Banned accounts and Junior Members in Nextxbox console threads puts a smile on my face.

2013 NextGen post e3 threads will be filled with gold.

media_preview.php

Kyoufu

Can't believe people like you are real.

It's Prine. Has been like this ever since the first Xbox. It's pretty funny (and sad) to read.

I hope nobody actually supports Always Online or it could be very bad for gamers going forward. :/

Bsigg12

It's Prine. Has been like this ever since the first Xbox. It's pretty funny (and sad) to read.

I hope nobody actually supports Always Online or it could be very bad for gamers going forward. :/

Always online is not the same as internet required. My 3DS, Wii, PC, TV, tablet and phone are always online. They are always connected to the internet, but they don't require the internet. Big difference here.

OUT FOX EM

Neo Member
It's very possible that Microsoft is using a common political tactic, which is to leak various information and see how people respond without officially *announcing* anything. They can then decide which ideas to keep and which to scrap.

That strategy is certainly not far-fetched. It does Microsoft no good to rush into an announcement right now, just because there's a screaming mob begging for it. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Spinluck

Another one from me to him on twitter from last week with the debacle about Sweet Billy (Adam Orth) about a difference between a MMO and a Singleplayer game. This guy i mean,he is such a tool and not very smart to say the least. Because well he knows everything and other people don't. But blocking people does help right? I keep laughing on how he reacts and tries to turn it around.

poorgies1sougc.png

poorgies2ewu2y.png

I am always right, I can never be wrong. Just letting you know...

tokkun

It's very possible that Microsoft is using a common political tactic, which is to leak various information and see how people respond without officially *announcing* anything. They can then decide which ideas to keep and which to scrap.

That strategy is certainly not far-fetched. It does Microsoft no good to rush into an announcement right now, just because there's a screaming mob begging for it. Quite the opposite, in fact.

In politics if they float an idea that turns out to garner a huge backlash, they usually come out to deny that they are considering the idea pretty quickly.

Yes Microsoft, quick, bend to the internets will. We're all savvy business folk running international corporations and we know what's good for you.

Because the new products they've shown since the 360 have been so successful. Just because they know how to put together a product and put it on shelves doesn't mean they know more about what good for consumers or what they want.

watershed

Banned
I have no problem with what microsoft is doing and the gaming press are just writing articles about how they have nothing to write about.

The gaming press is frustrated. Shocking! I'm sure they want more to write about, but tough. For how well esteemed gaming "journalists" are here, I'm shocked how much interest there is in their opinions.

Frankly, I'm too fixated on current gen stuff to pay that much attention to next-gen.

artist

Banned
Yes Consumers, quick, bend to the evil corporations/MS will. They're all savvy business folk running international corporations and they know whats's good for us/me.

Just pointing out the double-standard.

This will all be entirely pointless in three or so months.

Absolutely right...but the internet needs something to talk about right now. Three months? The attention-span of the internet is minutes so we'll continue to see "articles" until Microsoft unveils.

Iacobellis

Yes Consumers, quick, bend to the evil corporations/MS will. They're all savvy business folk running international corporations and they know whats's good for us/me.

Just pointing out the double-standard.

GIVE ME ALL OF THAT 8GB GDDR5 RAM!

image.php

what good does it do Microsoft to let a poisonous untrue rumor continue to fester when they could squash it with a single sentence that wouldn't give anything away about their new system?

and how late do you think they can leave decisions like this? the console will likely be launching in six months... and will likely announce it's always online requirement (or lack of one) in less than two. contracts have to be drawn up. backbones need to be programmed.

it's one things to play your cards close to you chest... it's another thing not to deny some poisonous bullshit if indeed it is bullshit. if the rumors were saying 'new xbox microwaves babies' would people be arguing it was a good idea for Microsoft not to come right out and confirm that, no, in fact, it doesn't microwave babies. what business advantage do they gain from this?

Valnen

I have a lot of concerns about the next Xbox, but sympathy for the poor journalists who thrive off tech reveals and blockbuster previews and exclusive interviews just aren't among them.

I would be perfectly happy if they did not exist, so I do not mind if they are starving. My distaste for the hype machine spans virtually all tech fields, from hype surrounding Apple's next iPhone to reveals of new televisions to the reveals of new gaming machines.

I can't say I agree with this point of view at all. I love knowing about things before they're released and without those journalists that would never happen. Would make the world a slightly shittier place without them.

I have a lot of concerns about the next Xbox, but sympathy for the poor journalists who thrive off tech reveals and blockbuster previews and exclusive interviews just aren't among them.

I would be perfectly happy if they did not exist, so I do not mind if they are starving. My distaste for the hype machine spans virtually all tech fields, from hype surrounding Apple's next iPhone to reveals of new televisions to the reveals of new gaming machines.

This is how tech journalism deserves to be treated:

http://www.theonion.com/video/sony-releases-new-stupid-piece-of-shit-that-doesnt,14309/

I think I love you, this is all happening so fast.

BillyBats

Banned
This is not a good answer to the question/problem at hand. Microsoft is currently being run very poorly and all you can do is post a picture in response?

Microsoft needs to create some momentum for this thing and start creating some good press.

Hold on. Unless I'm mistaken, the 360 is leading the sales charts every month. What is the most talked about company and system right now? PS4? No. Wii U? Not anymore. MS. There is no such thing as bad publicity. Everyone, EXCEPT MICROSOFT, is talking about Durango. Sony and Nintendo are kicking themselves right now because MS is going to own E3. Sony already blew their wad with their early announcement and Nintendo is fucking clueless about marketing in the US and we already know what they will show (have we seen one commercial for the Wii U since XMAS?).

Even i cant wait - i love this Boss like "i dont give a fuck" attitude by MS. 360 finishing this gen on a high...and they're taking advantage of that with their next console.

Is 360 and XBL one MS most successful project in the last decade? They're making money from the damn thing..outside of Windows and Office that must be huge for MS.
He got banned. Just so you know, Prine is one of the most level headed posters in OT, and OT will miss his careful arguments and nice posts. I have no clue what Gaming side does to you guys. Why go out like this? Its like Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde.

M-PG71C

He got banned. Just so you know, Prine is one of the most level headed posters in OT, and OT will miss his careful arguments and nice posts. I have no clue what Gaming side does to you guys. Why go out like this? Its like Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde.

I'm sure he will be back. Console wars sometimes gets the worse of people. Oh, and broken EA games too. Occasionally, anything Nintendo as well. And we have to take a daily shit on the PS Vita. Anything else I'm missing lol?

This is completely anecdotal, but I had a recent conversation with one of my casual gaming buddies, who, I suggest, might be more representative of the average joe/bro gamer consumer. Basically, the conversation began while we were playing online and I said that my 360 sounds like it's going to explode now whenever I use it, it's so loud.

He said something along the lines of, don't worry the new Xbox will be out in a few months. (This is despite the fact it hasn't been announced). "I think they said November," he says.

I tell him, I don't know, the PS4 is sounding pretty awesome and I go into all the rumors and stuff about the new Xbox being always online, what that would mean, the beast specs the PS4 has, etc.

He responds by saying something along the lines of, yeah, but, all I can think about when I hear about the next Playstation is those updates. Then he goes into how he never uses his PS3 because of the constant updates and slow download speeds.

I kind of try to explain the instant download thing, but he just shrugs it off.

Granted, we are older than the 18-24 demographic, but it was plainly obvious to me that this guy was already dead set on buying whatever MS announces and has completely dismissed the PS4 based on his experience with the PS3.

Granted, this guy isn't on message boards and doesn't follow game news too closely, but he is the gamer that buys only a handful of games every year, if that, and the new CoD every year.

I think some of us might be making a mistake to think that the average, casual game consumer is as well informed as we are on the internet. Of course, the core will be what sells these new systems out of the gate, but the wider market, I would argue, isn't paying attention at all to both the PS4 and the next Xbox at this point.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm sure he will be back. Console wars sometimes gets the worse of people. Oh, and broken EA games too. Occasionally, anything Nintendo as well. And we have to take a daily shit on the PS Vita. Anything else I'm missing lol?

My Little Pony always mows down accounts when it's posted in the OT outside of the MLP thread, hah.

Shaneus

It is a smart move to not reveal any facts until close to the release.

Apple are good in this respect.
This. All this "wah, every day they don't release new info they have to try harder to sell it to me" is a load of shit. People swarm to new Apple devices, despite not knowing what they look like or what exactly is new about them.

Besides, MS are clearly happy to let this rumour circulate about always online. It's getting to a boiling point and everyone will wonder why the hell they worried about it when MS announce that there's no way their console will have it.

That's the theory, anyway. Allow everyone to focus on the one negative thing that's supposedly rumoured (and can in no way be true... far too many people don't have internet for them to completely shut out a segment of the game-buying community) and then announce everything at once, rather than have this trickle of information winding up in a launch where everyone goes "Pfft, 'sif we didn't know about half this shit already".

CLEEK

The great thing about the perceived clusterfuck that is the next Xbox is the nerd rage and criticism isn't just entertaining to watch, but can bring out creativity too. I've seen as many funny anti-MS gifs in the past few weeks as funny pro-Kaz ones before the PS4 launch.

63d.gif

Bsigg12

I can't say I agree with this point of view at all. I love knowing about things before they're released and without those journalists that would never happen. Would make the world a slightly shittier place without them.

Before all the gaming sites really started, gaming magazines were amazing. Getting info dumps once a month from multiple outlets was damn exciting. Now everything is dragged out and we get articles like this.

eastmen

Banned

It depends on how its handled.

I and many others already own multiple always on platforms.

Netflix / hulu are two I use all the time. My android device is also an always on device.

If its just a disc check at the start it hardly maters to me. My 360 has been plugged in since I got it and so was my ps3 while I had one.

Raven77

Rush an announcement and make a bad first impression or craft a good announcement and make a good first impression; yes rush it for the journalists so they can bad mouth it if it's not a good announcement.

Seriously? Rush it? They have no doubt been working on this for at least a few years. They won't be "rushing" anything.

I also like how you think rushing it would give us a "bad first impression"...I guess you've managed to dodge the 30 pieces of highly highly negative information currently floating around about this console.

MS's silence regarding all of this is the single most damaging thing they could possibly do. The proper response would be to at LEAST release a statement about the features and put some great Public Relations / Marketing spin on it to make the sheep like masses think that if it is always online it is for our own good and will lead to "amazing new experiences". They could do this without even confirming the console exists, simply start the statement with "If we were to implement these features into a console..."

R3TRODYCE

Seriously? Rush it? They have no doubt been working on this for at least a few years. They won't be "rushing" anything.

I also like how you think rushing it would give us a "bad first impression"...I guess you've managed to dodge the 30 pieces of highly highly negative information currently floating around about this console.

MS's silence regarding all of this is the single most damaging thing they could possibly do. The proper response would be to at LEAST release a statement about the features and put some great Public Relations / Marketing spin on it to make the sheep like masses think that if it is always online it is for our own good and will lead to "amazing new experiences". They could do this without even confirming the console exists, simply start the statement with "If we were to implement these features into a console..."

30 rumors, why yes my good Sir I've been dodging those and the silence won't matter after it's announced.

Bgamer90

Banned
Rush an announcement and make a bad first impression or craft a good announcement and make a good first impression; yes rush it for the journalists so they can bad mouth it if it's not a good announcement.

Exactly.

It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation due to people (in this case these game journalists) being impatient.

Top Bottom