• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring on PS5 - Which version are you playing, PS4 or PS5?

I'm going back and forth on this one. I can't decide between the two. The PS4 version runs smoother, but at the cost of some graphical fidelity

Has anyone else experimted between the two on PS5?

Also, side question. HDR is off by default. I turned it on, but I feel it makes the game look worse. Anyone else mess around with HDR on PS4/PS5?

recursive

2yWk8Mf.jpg

Fuck the haters.

scydrex

PS5 is not smooth but i don't care. Still enjoying the game. Tried the PS4 very smooth but the PS5 is playable and i think will keep playing the PS5. They need to patch the game... the PS5 is almost there for me or Sony put out the VRR update

Last edited:
I'm going back and forth on this one. I can't decide between the two. The PS4 version runs smoother, but at the cost of some graphical fidelity

Has anyone else experimted between the two on PS5?

Also, side question. HDR is off by default. I turned it on, but I feel it makes the game look worse. Anyone else mess around with HDR on PS4/PS5?
I prefer it on but it's the same weak hdr seen in sekiro

B D Joe

Downloaded the ps5 version from store, performance mode has stuttering galore. Playable but definitely needs a locked 60 mode.

Installed the ps4 version as far as tutorial section and its buttery smooth so far and doesn't look any different to me.

The saves aren't compatible so you will have to start again but for locked 60fps it seems the ps4 version on ps5 is the best way to play until they patch it, if they ever do that is!

Last edited:

Bojji

Ps5, because short load times

By 1 or 2 seconds longer with PS4 ver...

Are the load times different? I started the PS4 version and the loading times seem non-existent.

Yep.

And super weak use of Dual Sense features. Right now there is no point in playing PS5 version if you have access to PS4 version. I will take MASSIVE difference in performance over more grass.

I had ordered the PS5 collector's edition which got delayed for some reason but was able to buy the PS4 Collector's edition today and based on the comments in here I think I will stick with the PS4 one and cancel the PS5 one. PS4 has free upgrade to PS5 so no loss.

rofif

Banned
ps5 performance mode.
I really like how it looks. Anti aliasing is good and somehow chromatic aberration kinda helps too.
The framerate is around 50-60 and you can feel it. It was rough at first but I got used to it. But make no mistake it is framepacing galore

scydrex

ps5 performance mode.
I really like how it looks. Anti aliasing is good and somehow chromatic aberration kinda helps too.
The framerate is around 50-60 and you can feel it. It was rough at first but I got used to it. But make no mistake it is framepacing galore

Yeah it dosen't bother me that much but it's not smooth. I have been changing between PS4 and PS5 but i think i will continue playing with the PS5 performance mode. I think they should have lowered the resolution to 1440p native 60fps maybe if a bit of headroom better LOD or less pop in. If there is no headroom just leave it like that 1440p 60fps. I think the dinamic resolution dosen't go lower than that? We will have to wait for the DF analysis. Still it needs updates to make the game run better on all platforms. 55-60fps at least.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Im playing the PS4 version, well its installed and i started it but went back to PC and been playing all night!

Games amazing.

Yeah it dosen't bother me that much but it's not smooth. I have been changing between PS4 and PS5 but i think i will continue playing with the PS5 performance mode. I think they should have lowered the resolution to 1440p native 60fps maybe if a bit of headroom better LOD or less pop in. If there is no headroom just leave it like that 1440p 60fps. I think the dinamic resolution dosen't go lower than that? We will have to wait for the DF analysis. Still it needs updates to make the game run better on all platforms. 55-60fps at least.
Yes. I'm worried they won't ever fix it though. Their response to the performance problems only mentioned fixing the PC and From's history of fixing stuff on console is like nil.

Downloaded the ps5 version from store, performance mode has stuttering galore. Playable but definitely needs a locked 60 mode.

Installed the ps4 version as far as tutorial section and its buttery smooth so far and doesn't look any different to me.

The saves aren't compatible so you will have to start again but for locked 60fps it seems the ps4 version on ps5 is the best way to play until they patch it, if they ever do that is!
It sucks how we buy a ps5 and get excited for a game like this, thinking how nice it will be to get a more detailed and beautiful game, only to have to switch to the ps4 version and find out there's barely a difference in graphics and ps5 is a stutterfest. I've found this to be the case with several games this gen.

That's

im not gonna play a ps4 game on my PS5. Fuck from for being incompetent on the tech front and fuck sony because they still havent implemented VRR
THIS!! PS5 games should look and run better. I havnt played the ps4 version on my ps5 yet. Bet it looks about the same. Too many cross gen games on ps5 are phoned in.

SenkiDala

I've no problem on the PS5 version on my LG C1 display, everything runs smooth. I've the PS4 version (upgraded to PS5) so I could go back to it bug honestly the game looks great for a FS day one game. :)

I’ve played around with both. PS4 is smoother, but I think the PS5 version has been greatly oversold. It’s been fine and I’m going for the plat so I’m going to stick with the 5 version.
Looks like the trophies are seperate. So, you could get two platinums if you really love the game.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
PS5. Fully absorbed from the get go. Absolutely amazing. The variety is incredible. This game will last a long time.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Started with PS5. Beat that cunt Margit after 2 hours of trial and error. Couldn't cope with the jitter anymore so I started again w/ PS4

No regrets. Feels so much better

FROM needs to get a grip already. This is pathetic
C’mon dude give them time. They only released 8 Souls games. I am sure they’ll get the performance right on the next Souls game.

/s

just downloaded both versions. Gonna start with the PS5 version. And switch if it annoys me.
tho the consensus seems to be i should play the PS4 version i guess

Top Bottom