• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring on PS5 - Which version are you playing, PS4 or PS5?

TexMex

Looks like the trophies are seperate. So, you could get two platinums if you really love the game.

Yeah they are, sorry. I just meant I know I'll never get the platinum twice, and know that if a couple patches drop I'll want to pivot to the PS5 version.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Same here.
No PS4 version.

I only buy PS5 games for my PS5.
Let these old games for these ancients that cares.
sad the simpsons GIF

renzolama

Imagine being this clueless.
Imagine being this obsessed with reddit and resetera posts.

Edit: I keed, I'm still running a 1080p gsync display on my gaming PC because I value performance above all else so I get why you'd want to run the PS4 version if the PS5 version is having significant performance issues. On my PS5 I'm not seeing any major issues outside of some drops on the first attempt at large enemy boss fights. I'm just poking a little fun at the huge amount of 'sky is falling' posts out there by people who are just parroting their twitch idols - there are legitimate performance issues with the game, you're right.

Last edited:

NickFire

PS5 on quality mode. Haven’t noticed any stuttering. Have learned how hard these games are though. This game is not joking around.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
What a complete load of horse shit. "Greatest game of all time" can't be played natively on PS5/XSX due to frame rate drops. Game plops!

renzolama

What a complete load of horse shit. "Greatest game of all time" can't be played natively on PS5/XSX due to frame rate drops. Game plops!
Did you start playing video games just this year? Most of the 'greatest games of all time' of the past decade or so ran poorly on console, including the two biggest comparisons BotW and Dark Souls. Blighttown in Dark Souls dropped to sub 20 fps constantly while navigating tiny narrow bridges with guys shooting poison darts at you and mosquitos jabbing you from multiple directions. Nobody wants to dock the review points when it's a beloved Nintendo franchise or Arkane Studios release that's stuttering or tanking to 20fps so good on them for giving FromSoft the same courtesy.

Last edited:
"Can't be played"? Who said that? This isn't Cyberpunk here. It's not an ideal locked 60 FPS on anything but PS4 on PS5, but it's FAR from unplayable.

Some of you act like Digital Foundry technical analysis is more important than the actual quality of the game.

DonF

Gold Member
Ps5. Anything above 30fps is gravy. I don’t care about dips or stutters.
Same here. I played dark souls I and II on x360; 3 and Bloodborne on ps4 pro, and sekiro on PS5. Yeah, I love a steady 60 fps. But come on, it's a souls game. I'm used to 25 fps, choppynes and bad frame pacing. This is smooth to me even though I can feel the light drops and mild stutter, I've had waaay worse.

Same here. I played dark souls I and II on x360; 3 and Bloodborne on ps4 pro, and sekiro on PS5. Yeah, I love a steady 60 fps. But come on, it's a souls game. I'm used to 25 fps, choppynes and bad frame pacing. This is smooth to me even though I can feel the light drops and mild stutter, I've had waaay worse.
Now I see why “PC MASTER RACE” peeps spazz out. At that point the game is basically freezing.

I started on PS5 for about 5 or so hours then switch to PS4 and started over. TBH i dont see much of a difference between the two except some grass but it is flawlas 60 so im going to finish my run there. Also i noticed, as strange as it sounds, the HDR seemed to have way more dpeth when i loaded the ps4 version.

PS4 - smooth 60 fps
PS5 - stuttery mess

Choice is obvious for me. I can't stand variable framerate on fixed refresh rate display.
From the comparisons the graphical cuts from the ps4 version I would just put up with the frame drops...the drops in detail and foliage is way to much.

ok. I just tried the game for first time. Downloaded both versions just incase.
started with PS5 version. UNPLAYABLE. at least in Quality mode. Its almost as bad as Bloodbornes frame pacing. But its choppy and stuttery in a different way? Performance mode might be tolerable. But the choppiness is still there. Just not as severe.

so i noped out of that after 4 mins. Just started the PS4 version. Its not perfect. The camera still kinda gets hung up and stutters for a split second when u swing the camera all the way around. And load time was noticeably longer. And i feel like the skin tones looked better on the PS5 version. Because i tried to make the same character on PS4 and it didn't look as good. But yeh. Im playing the PS4 version

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I tried both quality/performance modes on PS5 and I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Seems like you're all parroting whatever your lord Linneman said.

Digital Foundry is the worst thing that ever happened to gaming. Burn it down.

I tried both quality/performance modes on PS5 and I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Seems like you're all parroting whatever your lord Linneman said.

i will never understand when tons of ppl are saying something online. There is always that one person that doesn't believe it. I dont watch digital foundry. I dont even play fromsoftware games really. im an xbox guy mostly. i have no dog in this fight. I literally just played both ps5 and ps4 versions and gave my impressions. U think i want to play a PS4 game rn? u think this is a choice i wanted to make lol

i dont see how anyone could play PS5 in Quality mode, after what i saw. I mean that shit was jumping. I never seen a game do what it was doing before. Ive seen chugging and screen tearing in games before. I've seen the frame pacing in bloodborne. This shit was bouncing when i moved the r-stick. It almost felt like rubber banding but not really. screw dropping frames it looked like it was missing some frames

bitbydeath

i dont see how anyone could play PS5 in Quality mode, after what i saw. I mean that shit was jumping. I never seen a game do what it was doing before. Ive seen chugging and screen tearing in games before. I've seen the frame pacing in bloodborne. This shit was bouncing when i moved the r-stick. It almost felt like rubber banding but not really. screw dropping frames it looked like it was missing some frames
You must be new to gaming.
It’s extremely common in big open world games on all platforms. GTA, Elder Scrolls, you name it, they’re always pushing above the hardware possibilities.

Ellery

Okay tested both now and the PC/XSX/PS5 versions are a stuttery mess and the PS4 (Pro) version running on the PS5 feels pretty great.

Night and day difference and the trade off for that smooth framerate/pacing/timing are laughable compared to enjoying a game with a stable framerate.

No idea how people don't notice the stuttering. It boggles my mind.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
No idea how people don't notice the stuttering. It boggles my mind.

Fanboy goggles. They don't want to admit any flaw in a game they've been anticipating for so long. Haven't played the PC one but both next-gen console versions are a mess. Any other game would be torched for launching in this state, but this is getting universal praise.

Not at all, I think if it wasn't pointed out in graphics analysis videos, most people probably wouldn't notice it. I've only played about an hour, but I haven't ran into any issues.
Come on man, don’t do that. Has nothing to do with others videos. I saw those and bought it anyways. We’re all fans, but if you think the terrible ps5 performance is not noticeable, to say nothing of the pop in issue, you’re just doing the OP a disservice. Or do you think the general consensus here has been fabricated?

I don't watch DF. I went in blind to this game, but the stutters were noticeable, so I looked online and heard to try the PS4 version on PS5. It's significantly better. This isn't a case where you need DF to tell you this, it's very apparent.

Toxictemplar

Neo Member
Currently playing the PS5 version on performance mode and had only two occurrences that caused me to restart the game. Considering that I played it for close to 9-10 hours I think that is very nice. I have not noticed any stuttering but a little pop in here and there in the distance but it has not affected my gameplay.

Currently playing the PS5 version on performance mode and had only two occurrences that caused me to restart the game. Considering that I played it for close to 9-10 hours I think that is very nice. I have not noticed any stuttering but a little pop in here and there in the distance but it has not affected my
You don't know what stuttering is then apparently.

swaffles23

PS5.

I haven't really noticed the drops much. The worst thing I've ran into is some bad pop in when I'm in real open areas

Top Bottom