• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring on PS5 - Which version are you playing, PS4 or PS5?

Azurro

Banned
Come on man, don’t do that. Has nothing to do with others videos. I saw those and bought it anyways. We’re all fans, but if you think the terrible ps5 performance is not noticeable, to say nothing of the pop in issue, you’re just doing the OP a disservice. Or do you think the general consensus here has been fabricated?

I mean, I just started to play it and I'm going to take my time, but the worst I see is a few frame drops here and there and some pop in, but you'd have to be extremely anal about these things if it's ruining your experience. It's not "terrible" by any means.

Three

I mean I get it constant framerate is cool and there should be no excuse when choosing 'framerate mode' but it's weird how dropping framerates into the 50s is some huge gamestopper now when most From games have suffered from this or worse already in the past without a word.

It's the unoptimised xbox and PC versions that's more controversial to me. Dropping to lower framerates and resolution on XSX and having capped 60 but still with framerate issues on a beefy PC just seems like they didn't give a shit there at all.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
PS5 - fps in the lower end of "60", and noticeable texture pop in, but I prefer the insanely fast load times!

I mean, I just started to play it and I'm going to take my time, but the worst I see is a few frame drops here and there and some pop in, but you'd have to be extremely anal about these things if it's ruining your experience. It's not "terrible" by any means.
Certainly not anal, but do expect expect better after 20 years and the availability of next gen hardware. Enjoying it myself, but not going to sit here and say it’s performing fantastically, particularly when we have devs putting out games like GOT and R&C for the platform.

In case it's not obvious, I've decided since making this thread. I spent several hours on both, and the PS4 version on PS5 is hands-down the superior version.

People seem to think you get PS4 load times when doing this, but that is NOT the case. There is also no DualSense feature like in Demon's Souls. I see no reason NOT to play the PS4 version on PS5 if you have access to it.

You can always upgrade for free and transfer save file from PS4 to PS5 later if they patch it.

Azurro

Banned
Certainly not anal, but do expect expect better after 20 years and the availability of next gen hardware. Enjoying it myself, but not going to sit here and say it’s performing fantastically, particularly when we have devs putting out games like GOT and R&C for the platform.

You are basically confirming what I'm saying. I mean, it'd be nice if they manage to get the framerate to be more consistent, but it's perfectly playable. A few frame drops here and there don't take away from the experience.

Of course, it'd be nice if it looked like Horizon, but it's a From game. That's not what they do. :)

Skifi28

Gold Member
I'll be trying both out, but I imagine I'll be sticking with the ps4 version ifthe load times aren't insanely long. Performance over visuals always.

Vindicator

Deleted the preload and switched to the PS4 version after reading about some annoying grass pop-in, haven't played yet because Destiny 2 Witch Queen but probably firing it up later today...

Not without sshd/ssd? I could always install the ps4 version on the ps5, so you're technically correct.. Can I use the PS5 save?
We are talking PS5 playing the PS4 version, so it has the SSD.

Obviously, playing on actual PS4 hardware is not ideal.

SeraphJan

I'll be trying both out, but I imagine I'll be sticking with the ps4 version ifthe load times aren't insanely long. Performance over visuals always.
Can you confirm the loading time difference between PS5 version and PS4 version with BC? I don't have the Playstation version, But the PC version had me disappointed.

Last edited:
Load times are the same, as far as I could tell. If you're playing on PS5, load times won't be an issue regardless if it's the PS4 or PS5 version.

Playing the PS5 physical version and I tried Performance and Fidelity. So far, it seems to be running quite smooth. I’m not seeing the huge frame rate drops people are claiming. I’ve seen a few minor drops I think, but nothing really noticeable.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I'm playing on PS5, it has occasional drops but overall it plays really well and who knows the PS5 will be patched up. If the saves were compatible I might've started with the PS4 build but I read they aren't.

If you compare this to the launch of, well, pretty much every Soulsborne game in the past, ER is their most smooth game so far. I think its about on par with DS1 and DS2 remasters which had drops as well but ran fine and loaded fast.

PS4 version on PS5 load times are the same.

Definitely not the same. I could cycle through more tips/hints on PS4 loading screen. That being said, loading is still pretty fast on PS4 version.

Can someone comment on the differences between PS5 and PS4 versions? Is it just the amount of grass and resolution? PS5 frame rate doesnt really bother me but if its just the grass I'll switch to PS4 because the res difference isnt that noticeable to me.

scydrex

Definitely not the same. I could cycle through more tips/hints on PS4 loading screen. That being said, loading is still pretty fast on PS4 version.

Can someone comment on the differences between PS5 and PS4 versions? Is it just the amount of grass and resolution? PS5 frame rate doesnt really bother me but if its just the grass I'll switch to PS4 because the res difference isnt that noticeable to me.

For now is the grass and resolution. I tried both and decided to keep playing the ps5 version. The FPS drops don't bother me too much and I'm enjoying the game. Ths ps4 map look like a desert without the grass and looks softer. I hope they patch to improve the performance and at least 55-60fps or almost locked 60fps. The ps4 does run very smooth. Also I didn't want to import or transfer my save from the ps4 version to ps5 if i find the ps5 version ok and let me enjoy the game.

Lokaum D+

Put 8 hours on ps5 perf mode and i have to say this, Horizon FW on 30fps feels waaaaaay more smooth than DarkSouls 3 open world at 60fps.

Hugare

PS5 Performance Mode

Been playing FROM games with shitty framerate since Demons Souls

It's been part of the experience for a loong time now

Mozza

This needs to be patched, just can't get my head around having a PS5 then running the game on the PS4 app, just does not make any sense whatsoever, and the games visuals do not warrant it in any way, from looking at how well horizon forbidden west looks and runs, Elden ring should be performing a lot better on the PS5.

keefged4

PS5. Have the digital and did try out the PS4 version, but the IQ difference is too much. I can tolerate the stuttering. Its not detracting from the overall experience. Amazing game.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

Playing on my Ryzen 7 3700X, 16gb ram, 1660Ti 6GB ram, 1080P runs & plays grate.
Was scared from console reviews so got it for PC(was smart choice)

K2D

Banned
I think he means playing off of an external drive. Yeah K2D K2D , install on PS5 fully, update and play.
I actually referred to Toad's wholesale mentioning of PS4 to be able to clear that up.

I'd try the PS4 version out, but I don't know if you're able to transfer saves from ps5 to ps4 - I don't want to start all over again.

Last edited:
I actually referred to Toad's wholesale mentioning of PS4 to be able to clear that up.

I'd try the PS4 version out, but I don't know if you're able to transfer saves from ps5 to ps4 - I don't want to start all over again.
You're not, unfortunately. You can transfer PS4 to PS5, but not the reverse.

Reactions: K2D
PS4 version plays beautifully on PS5, tried the XSX and can't say i see much of a graphical difference. Got it on Xbox store to play a day early to try out this game.

PS4 version plays beautifully on PS5, tried the XSX and can't say i see much of a graphical difference. Got it on Xbox store to play a day early to try out this game.
There's not much difference on PS5 graphically either. You get a bit more grass, etc, but it also has pop-in that I don't see on the PS4 on PS5 version.

Has the latest PS5 update changed the performance for anyone?

I'm curious, because I'm still playing the PS4 version. I can transfer the PS4 save to the PS5 version, but not vice-versa, so I only want to do it if they managed to fix the stuttering camera issue.

TGodoy

Neo Member
Has the latest PS5 update changed the performance for anyone?

I'm curious, because I'm still playing the PS4 version. I can transfer the PS4 save to the PS5 version, but not vice-versa, so I only want to do it if they managed to fix the stuttering camera issue.
No, same thing. I got the PS5 disk so can't even try the PS4 version now and upgrade when they solve this 45-60 stuttery rollercoaster.

The game itself is indeed a masterpiece but after playing Bluepoint's remake of DS, going back to this PS4 graphics framepace fest is really annoying.

TGodoy

Neo Member
23904045-7f6f9c6773b4b0234f84d03a438cf811.png

The one in the left is a framepace and performance mess, the one in the right runs at a locked and perfectly smooth 60 fps. I really want to believe that From will do something about performance considering the amount of media they are getting right now.

Top Bottom