• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk and the Twitter acquisition saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJRB

Gold Member
It seems Twitter oversold their [active] userbase and undersold the bot problem.

I've noticed Twitter really pushing me towards following more people. Maybe they're trying to push up their "average followers per user" statistics or something? They even add a banner that occasionally pops up that basically lets me insta-follow a large group of people based on absolutely nothing other than them being connected somehow to people I follow.

"Press here to follow this group op people", lol fuck off with that shit.

MastaKiiLA

It seems Twitter oversold their [active] userbase and undersold the bot problem.

I've noticed Twitter really pushing me towards following more people. Maybe they're trying to push up their "average followers per user" statistics or something? They even add a banner that occasionally pops up that basically lets me insta-follow a large group of people based on absolutely nothing other than them being connected somehow to people I follow.

Don't buy Elon's smoke grenade. He knew what Twitter was before he made a pitch. The only thing that changed is the market has crashed since then, and now a bit of an overpay has turned into a massive windfall for Twitter execs, and Musk is trying to get the price down. He had really bad timing, which sort of highlights the old adage that no one actually knows how the stock market will move. Not even the world's richest man. I see no reason to support his attempt to back out of a bad deal. He's gonna eat that billion burger.

Don't buy Elon's smoke grenade. He knew what Twitter was before he made a pitch. The only thing that changed is the market has crashed since then, and now a bit of an overpay has turned into a massive windfall for Twitter execs, and Musk is trying to get the price down. He had really bad timing, which sort of highlights the old adage that no one actually knows how the stock market will move. Not even the world's richest man. I see no reason to support his attempt to back out of a bad deal. He's gonna eat that billion burger.
He's gotta try though lol.

BeardGawd

Banned
So if he eats that billion and the stock continues to drop what's stopping him from offering a lower price?

ManaByte

Gold Member

I've been getting a shit ton of bot followers since Musk made the offer.

Tams

Imagine thinking Twitter was even worth anything.

There's some okay stuff on there that's easy to share, but it's sunk by all the dross and shit.

Amiga

Musk can't buy Twitter
Musk must buy Twitter
Musk can't buy Twitter
Musk must buy Twitter
Musk can't buy Twitter
Musk must buy Twitter

make up your minds

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Imagine thinking Twitter was even worth anything.

There's some okay stuff on there that's easy to share, but it's sunk by all the dross and shit.
I still maintain that Twitter's worth is that it already exists. No new social media platform competitor could be made these days without having an immediately politicized association, which would greatly limit both the audience and the number of high profile users.

But is Musk trying to back out of the deal, or negotiate a lower price? I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

MastaKiiLA

So if he eats that billion and the stock continues to drop what's stopping him from offering a lower price?
Nothing. But you're not likely to get the same level of shareholder support when you renege on the first deal, at a much more appealing pricepoint.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
SPr7lMz.jpg

b7b68a47-3a1a-4b32-a6f0-876cc0d05c0c_text.gif

BigBooper

I've seen some convincing arguments that would be the smart play. Lose a billion and offer 10 bill less and it's still hard to argue it's not a fair price.

There's also been some indication that his Tesla ownership could be at risk due to the market downturn and he might need that money rather than do the Twitter experiment.

BeardGawd

Banned
Nothing. But you're not likely to get the same level of shareholder support when you renege on the first deal, at a much more appealing pricepoint.
I've seen some convincing arguments that would be the smart play. Lose a billion and offer 10 bill less and it's still hard to argue it's not a fair price.

There's also been some indication that his Tesla ownership could be at risk due to the market downturn and he might need that money rather than do the Twitter experiment.
Yeah I think that would be the smartest play but like MastaKiiLA MastaKiiLA said him cancelling this offer might be grounds for them to not accept any future offer which sucks. Why did the stock market have to crash right before this went through??

Lol An Elon owned Twitter makes it much hard for Truth Social.

BeardGawd

Banned
Private financing for the deal has been put on hold after Musk’s threats. It’s going to fall apart. Texas AG is investigating Twitter now for overstating their user base.

FPveaiR.jpg
I think Donald is about to find out that although he has a huge following the majority will not follow him to another platform. Similar to a game that switches platforms. Most will hold out on their preferred platform/console.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Leaked Slack conversations where Twitter employees are plotting to ban Libs of TikTok just like Babylon Bee:

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_31ef5fcd-9c54-4d48-a68f-1780fedb9fbe_827x894.jpeg

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_4f44b85a-ee80-4f1d-8820-fa35ed50c32d_828x665.jpeg

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_68329750-8f10-4d64-baa8-3ea845f764ca_828x1077.jpeg

Facebook is no different. They're all in bed with each other in their end game.

This is literally in Facebook's rejection to anything nasty towards one side of the political spectrum, while they remove the other side constantly.

And "genocidal violence" ... GTFO, retards.

We understand that the content may be offensive or hurtful. Facebook is a global community, and people express themselves differently, but we only take down content that goes against our standards. We review and update our standards regularly, with the help of experts.
They have "experts" who tell them what "their standards" are.

And they only take down what goes against "their standards", but not for the other side. It's all a ruse.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Looks like after Musk took notice and publicly called out Twitter, every account threatening to kill Libs of TikTok got suspended.

Has he bought it yet?

For those of you just joining this circus, a primer:

Maybe he will buy it next week, will check in again then

Smiggs

So many seem to have forgotten it in this case though. Very strange.
I don't think most people have forgotten it, they're just making a point about it. For the record, I totally support Elon having these people fired from a private company he runs--that's his right. Just like I support social media companies banning people or blocking comments that violate their TOS. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences, and we are seeing it in real time here. That applies to any private business.

Also, if Musk does end up buying Twitter, he will be able to ban any person he wants, for any reason--whether we perceive it as just or not. That will be his right as the owner. Would that be fair? Hell nah. Would it be totally legal? You betcha.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

Free speech when I like it (y)

Free speech when I don't (n)
You anti-free speeches idiots that try to do cheap gotchas about the topic like this always make me lol.

Literally no one advocating for free speech is under the delusion that you should be able to shit talk openly at work about the company and/or boss and expect to not be fired.

But I get it. It's a lot harder to characterize the opposition's arguments correctly and then argue against it.

It's a lot easier to be a dishonest bitch and argue against a strawman argument.

Last edited:
Literally no one advocating for free speech is under the delusion that you should be able to shit talk openly at work about the company and/or boss and expect to not be fired.

And literally no-one advocating for free speech is under the delusion that Twitter shouldn't be able to ban anyone it doesn't like. I'm glad we can agree on this.

Chittagong

Gold Member
This Space X thing is almost sweeter than the Twitter acquisition.

Blue haired employees delusionaly figured that they are on Twitter and not on a private space rocket company owned by a single man, and concluded they could use their usual god given mob tactics to suppress perceived wrong think.

Surprise bitches!

you’re fired

Last edited:
I don't think most people have forgotten it, they're just making a point about it. For the record, I totally support Elon having these people fired from a private company he runs--that's his right. Just like I support social media companies banning people or blocking comments that violate their TOS. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences, and we are seeing it in real time here. That applies to any private business.

Also, if Musk does end up buying Twitter, he will be able to ban any person he wants, for any reason--whether we perceive it as just or not. That will be his right as the owner. Would that be fair? Hell nah. Would it be totally legal? You betcha.

Then what is the point? Is everyone on Twitter employed by Twitter? Being banned from Twitter and fired by your employer seem like 2 very different situations to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom