• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk and the Twitter acquisition saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toons

It baffled me how Elon constantly seeks attention and tries to create headlines and then gets shocked when some of that increased scrutiny includes increased controversy and increased backlash from various parties and sides.

He seems perturbed by the effect but what did he think was gonna happen? His made himself the most prominent guy on the platform known for its abject toxicity and constant manufacturing and perpetuation of controversy.

The guys very smart but hes a bit of a social dunce and his disconnect manifests itself in moments like this. Seeing one of the richest guys in the world putting out macho threats Twitter like he's Denzel is just an odd experience lol

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
It baffled me how Elon constantly seeks attention and tries to create headlines and then gets shocked when some of that increased scrutiny includes increased controversy and increased backlash from various parties and sides.

He seems perturbed by the effect but what did he think was gonna happen? His made himself the most prominent guy on the platform known for its abject toxicity and constant manufacturing and perpetuation of controversy.

The guys very smart but hes a bit of a social dunce and his disconnect manifests itself in moments like this. Seeing one of the richest guys in the world putting out macho threats Twitter like he's Denzel is just an odd experience lol
He has Aspergers. He says what he thinks at the time.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I keep seeing these weird conspiracist takes around the internet surrounding these events, and I just have to ask into the void: remove all emotion you may have regarding any of this, about Musk himself, and think - do you really believe that many various, unrelated news organizations around the world and the government of the United States worked in tandem to operate against Elon Musk because he was buying Twitter - only the 4th largest social media service in the country? The Shit Post Central of the waking world? Or because he shared what are really unsophisticated, unspecific political tweets?

Isn't it far, far more likely that Musk merely attempted to get ahead of a non-flattering story? I mean, we all watched it happen in real time. The receipts are all there to see - it's a simple and obvious chain of events.

I think too many people are losing themselves to these bizarre conspiracies when really all one has to do is take a step back and think rationally for a moment. No reason to come up with some grand scenario where various malignant forces in the world conspire together in some kind of panicked rush because the guy who smoked a blunt on the Joe Rogan Experience wanted to purchase Twitter while making bro-level troll tweets.

I'm sorry, I promise I am not trying to be dismissive of anyone's opinion, but the more I think about all of this and the longer it stretches out the more unintentionally hilarious it is all becoming.

Edit: I'll add, it's a possibility that the person bringing these allegations against Musk made it up and had a convincing enough story to fool some journalists at Business Insider. But that still wouldn't justify some global conspiracy
They have groupthink. So I expect the same reaction. It's not that it's working in tandem, it's getting the same output from the same input because they basically think the same.

Chittagong

Gold Member

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Didn’t have a choice really, Tesla stock is tumbling at margin call speeds. At least this confirms he is still appearing to progress the deal. But damn if it isn’t a disproportionate part of his net wealth now

Do you think he feared his board? I don't follow these things closely so that is why I am asking. But it was incredible how quickly this stock along with everything else Musk related reduced in value to comical degrees while the rest of the bear market seemed to suffer far less

Chaplain

Do you think he feared his board? I don't follow these things closely so that is why I am asking. But it was incredible how quickly this stock along with everything else Musk related reduced in value to comical degrees while the rest of the bear market seemed to suffer far less

Is the government able to manipulate the stock market? I said a few weeks back that I assumed the government would do something to try and silence him.

283529860_10225556603555931_1540678666046727344_n.jpg

edited

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is the government able to manipulate the stock market?
With their bureaucratic hedge funds and super PACs, absolutely certain players can, and have become wealthy for things we would all be in prison for.
Stock surging again. Looks like some people blew their load prematurely.
Sell high, squeeze a little, then buy again low on solid stock with a company that has a clear and healthy future. It's all games, really.

Last edited:

BadBurger

BadBurger

Haha, look man if there's proof of the government of the United States manipulating Tesla stocks I think the entire world would love to hear about it (I know I would), but until then it's just wild (IMO) speculation.

Meanwhile Musk did all of those things listed in the complaint. We all saw it happen. Whether he did it to tank the deal is up to the courts now. I'm still on the fence personally. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, that's he's so accustomed to just doing whatever he wants when he wants that he didn't pause to think about the consequences.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Haha, look man if there's proof of the government of the United States manipulating Tesla stocks I think the entire world would love to hear about it (I know I would), but until then it's just wild (IMO) speculation.

Meanwhile Musk did all of those things listed in the complaint. We all saw it happen. Whether he did it to tank the deal is up to the courts now. I'm still on the fence personally. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, that's he's so accustomed to just doing whatever he wants when he wants that he didn't pause to think about the consequences.
You are never going to find a smoking gun. Not in current year, anyways.

Stock is going back up, anyhow.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
"Why sailing across the Atlantic to this "New World" is a stupid and dangerous idea."
Maybe watch the video, the situation is quite a bit different. Sailing ocean, is quite a bit easier than create magnetic field around the whole planet, super low temperatures, sparse atmosphere which among the biggest problems.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Maybe watch the video, the situation is quite a bit different. Sailing ocean, is quite a bit easier than create magnetic field around the whole planet, super low temperatures, sparse atmosphere which among the biggest problems.
I don't even need to watch the video. I saw Total Recall. All the air gets sucked out of the environment like that and my hair just ain't gonna look right.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The Moon isn’t hospitable either. We can establish a base there, and on Mars too, with sufficient willpower put into technological development.

Look at what SpaceX has already done in service of that mission statement. They’ve far exceeded all existing spacefaring technology made by the world’s superpowers, on a tiny fraction of the budget and in far less time.

NickFire

If you are offered 2 jobs with the same pay/benefits and one lets you work form home, which do you choose?

it's not about being soft, it's about a market rife with companies that allow work from home, desperate for high end tech folks.
Calling the go to work mentality a disparaging term is soft. I stand by that regardless if someone has better options.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you are offered 2 jobs with the same pay/benefits and one lets you work form home, which do you choose?

it's not about being soft, it's about a market rife with companies that allow work from home, desperate for high end tech folks.
Office.

Being at home creates a lot laziness. There's is zero replacement for office comraderies, getting shit dont fast (instead of waiting for an email reply), having fun going out to lunch with the gang etc.... You cant do that remotely.

Also, lots of people take advantage of working weird hours. Great if your job is a lone wolf role with zero relation to other people needing info. Everyone at the office is roughly 9-5. Some work a bit earlier or start later, but at least the core hours of 10-3 everyone is there.

Good luck trying to get hold of people consistently WFH. It can be 2 pm in the afternoon and a lot of people's Outlook status is a yellow dot "Away for 3 hours". Probably taking a nap or grocery shopping. They're probably gone rest of day. Who knows where they are. I'm here working. They might get back to me after dinner or tomorrow. If this is the office, I'd get a quick answer right there.

If working at the office was fine before, it's fine going back.

Most jobs there was no change anyway. Only office workers lucky enough to take their laptop home got the option or privilege to work from home. So now its time to go back. Most places are even easing it in as hybrid and then maybe a year from now will be 5 days a week. But I know many people during covid who still went to the office the whole time like nothing changed. Only difference was they were asked to mask up indoors and do that spacing out guideline.

Being at the office also has the benefit of faster intrcompany server connections. I do lots of reporting. Doing these VPNing from home and saving them to the company servers takes probably 3x as long. At the office hooked up to my docking station, it's fast as hell.

Last edited:

In that case you would see people moving more toward the work from home options, which would increase competition for those spots drive pay down while the office attendance jobs would have to increase their remuneration packages to attract talent. Many people aspiring to get ahead would likely sacrifice working from home if it means they'll get paid more which then means you may get better talent opting for the office attendance roles.

I really don't get why people are so upset at Musk saying Tesla employees especially execs should put in the minimum facetime of 40 hours, which is what is expected of the factory workers. Is it because they feel it threatens the whole 'movement' of everyone to wfh?

haxan7

Banned
I’m glad Elon is laying down the law and setting a strong example for other CEOs about remote work. It’s NOT good for everyone to be cooped up at home and jerking off on Zoom meetings. I don’t care what anyone says. When we lose office culture, that’s a big hit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I’m glad Elon is laying down the law and setting a strong example for other CEOs about remote work. It’s NOT good for everyone to be cooped up at home and jerking off on Zoom meetings. I don’t care what anyone says. When we lose office culture, that’s a big hit.
Thats what doesnt even make sense.

Some of the people who dont want to come to the office are the same ones I speak to saying WFH is a pain in the ass because kids or spouse are always around distracting them. It's distracting to me too because when I'm on an MS Teams meeting with them, I dont want to hear your kids or husband yapping in the background. Shut your door. Some of them dont even work remotely in different rooms. They sit at the same table doing remote work together, and most of the time they dont do headset usage, so we and them can hear everything said. Or something dumb like... "Hey guys, if you hear a buzz in the background its because my spouse is vacuuming"

Wow. Thanks.

If it's that bad at home, then why the resistance to go back to the office like before?

Most places are phasing it is hybrid style, but even being nudged to come back 1-2 times a week is suddenly impossible to do now.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
I think it is both and depends on personality and work culture. You have certain roles which cannot be done remotely or to a decent level. There are always benefits of an office, faster response time, team building, more social etc.

There is other work which can be done remotely with minimal impact. I think productivity is based on the individual because plenty of people will work longer hours. Avoiding a commute saves time, not everyone is coasting. The hybrid model should help most scenarios.

Covid has shown where the benefits. I've heard plenty of stories where high performance was highlighted because it didn't rely on showing your face in meetings.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think it is both and depends on personality and work culture. You have certain roles which cannot be done remotely or to a decent level. There are always benefits of an office, faster response time, team building, more social etc.

There is other work which can be done remotely with minimal impact. I think productivity is based on the individual because plenty of people will work longer hours. Avoiding a commute saves time, not everyone is coasting. The hybrid model should help most scenarios.

Covid has shown where the benefits. I've heard plenty of stories where high performance was highlighted because it didn't rely on showing your face in meetings.
Agreed, but I'm someone who still skews to office life and showing your face.

A good example are big online meetings. Id say 80% of people dont even go on cam, and they never say anything or do chat. All you see is a default picture they use, or their initials.

Nobody has a clue whether they are there or doing laundry. You can tell when someone is fucking around because every once in a while a boss or the meeting organizer will call their name out asking a question. Instead of immediately pressing unmute to answer, there's a delay of 10 seconds because the person is probably on a different floor in their house doing something and is running to their laptop to unmute and answer.

Anyone who goes on mute and no cam is a big possibility of goofing off or not paying attention. Or perhaps not even there.

At least with office life, you're there.

dr_octagon

Banned
Yeah I get it and I agree some people are lazy. I have encountered the 'away' message and delay many times. Office has plenty of benefits and some people need the structure and the boss around.

I've worked with different professionals and teams so mindful to not just treat it with a broad brush.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah I get it and I agree some people are lazy. I have encountered the 'away' message and delay many times. Office has plenty of benefits and some people need the structure and the boss around.

I've worked with different professionals and teams so mindful to not just treat it with a broad brush.
Sounds good.

I think the best benefit of a hybrid role for people lucky enough to have laptops to work from home is because since everyone has a taste of it, the pressure of forcing yourself to go into the office during bad rain or snow should come crashing down to a halt. Every office I've worked at is a traditional one where everyone comes in aside from every once in a while your boss says ya work from home if you need to. But 95% of the time everyone comes in.

For people who have always been at the office the whole time, you might be shit out of luck, but for WFH people now going back hybrid, I see the bosses being a lot more loose during bad weather or any other situation working from home is better. It'll be one way bosses can be flexible.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
Fair points.

I think the stage of your career makes a difference, starting off means you need to learn the ropes etc. and can't do that working from home.

This discussion is too civil for internet, I will post some insults in the next 3-5 business days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom