• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk and the Twitter acquisition saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
266.gif
The lawyer effectively just learned he's going to be fired. Very emotional time for him, I'm sure.

I don't know about other religions, but modern technology and methods has done nothing to disprove the principle foundations of Christianity.

Not trying to convert you, just saying one does not determine the other.
Im not gone to argue about this because i have done it before on other forums place and it has lead nowhere
cause religious people cannot be converted in my opinion the moment your born they start to put the religion ideas in your head at a such young age that it almost impossible to talk sense

So i rather not i just thankful that my parents never really believe in this religion stuff thus they never force their beliefs on me thus i am who i am today because of that just as you are who you are today because of your beliefs

Thirty7ven

Banned
Elon’s dandruff has done more for this species than you ever will.

Such a weird thing to say don’t you think? Maybe not because you did say it so it’s probably hard for you to realize just how weird you sound.

But just so there’s no doubt, that’s a really weird thing to say. And just to clear it up, walking around with Elon’s musk dripping from your lower lip doesn’t give you powers or makes you a super hero, this ain’t a comic book.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

_
The asshole is an engineer on Twitter and he just deleted the tweet lol.

Dang Elon is on FIRE:messenger_fire:

This guy goes by He/They?

Wtf is He/'They'? I get the soy idiots that say He/Him, and even They/Them. Its stupid 99% of the time since 99% of the time it's used by obvious cis-gendered folks but I at least get the intent.

But what layer of crack is needed to explain the modification to 'they' when the first pronoun is clearly CIS-based?

Anyway, hats off to Elon.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

Such a weird thing to say don’t you think? Maybe not because you did say it so it’s probably hard for you to realize just how weird you sound.

But just so there’s no doubt, that’s a really weird thing to say. And just to clear it up, walking around with Elon’s musk dripping from your lower lip doesn’t give you powers or makes you a super hero, this ain’t a comic book.
Nah I agree with him. I don't think it's a weird thing to say that a fraction of a forward thinking entrepreneur, climate activist and philanthropist of Elon's calibre is infinitely greater than you.

You are nothing and no one, and speak for no one but yourself.

nush

religious people cannot be converted in my opinion the moment your born they start to put the religion ideas in your head at a such young age that it almost impossible to talk sense

I managed to resist assimilation. I guess it depends on how strong religion is in your culture.

FunkMiller

Just terrible, unbelievable how some people view this guy as some hero. Let’s see how this goes, but the fact so many questionable people are happy about it…

I don’t think many regard him as a hero. He’s a multimillionaire businessman, and I don’t think any of them warrant hero worship (Except Logan Roy, of course).

However, he is trying to convert the world away from fossil fuel driven vehicles, and is attempting to forward man’s exploration of space, so I’m frankly going to give the guy his due for these things… which… in the grand scheme of things, should be the main things he is judged on… not a few tweets about pronouns.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Nah I agree with him. I don't think it's a weird thing to say that a fraction of a forward thinking entrepreneur, climate activist and philanthropist of Elon's calibre is infinitely greater than you.

You are nothing and no one, and speak for no one but yourself.

It’s sad that you think of yourself as a worthless little person, a piece of nothing, but even though that’s how you choose to see yourself in the mirror it does not give you the right to project your small boy energy into others.

I’m not you.

Mistake

Seems Twitter is already flipping the switch on their algorithm. One side is suddenly gaining tons of followers, while the other is dropping just as much. Whether this is due to bots or inflating with dead accounts, I don’t know, but I suspect twitter is trying to wipe as much as possible before the deal closes.

CosmicComet

It’s sad that you think of yourself as a worthless little person, a piece of nothing, but even though that’s how you choose to see yourself in the mirror it does not give you the right to project your small boy energy into others.

I’m not you.
Oh I'm not projecting, just stating the facts.

You are nothing but a paramecium in the grand scheme of things. Except to your inner circle, nothing would change if you were gone.

I can say that Elon living has positively affected my life with PayPal alone. No hero worship, but the dude has to be the closest thing to a billionaire who is also decent human being.

If I had two bullets between you and Elon, I'd shoot you twice bruh.

Cyberpunkd

I'm with you here but I don't give a crap what religion anyone practices. It has nothing to do with me.
Till the proponents of said religion start to pressure you to change how you live, which always happens. Do you think early Roman Empire Christians were a bunch of anarchists breaking into temples and killing pagans? Of course not, this shit started once Christianity was established as the official religion.

Catholic Church in Western Europe is being quiet about LGBTQA and abortion since the wind blows in a different direction, but look what the same organisation is doing in more religious Eastern Europe.

Just terrible, unbelievable how some people view this guy as some hero. Let’s see how this goes, but the fact so many questionable people are happy about it…

So you don't like a thing that Elon is doing, because that thing happens to be also liked by people you don't like?
Do you also only like things that are liked by people you like? Popularity is bad metric to judge things. I think it's better to assess a thing by itself and based on its own merit, rather than by who it is liked by.

Pizza is also liked by all sorts of unsavory people, that doesn't mean that pizza is bad. Questionable people liking what Elon is doing, doesn't imply that the sympathy is mutual in other regards.
Only because they happen to agree on one thing, doesn't mean that they agree on all the things. If people would actually listen to what Elon is saying, I truly doubt that he likes the things that these questionable people stand by.

Here is what he is suggesting:
  • Reinforcing free speech in regards to the mutual exchange of ideas
  • Making the twitter algorithm transparent
  • Ensuring twitter's political neutrality as a platform for public debate and opinion making
  • Bringing twitter moderation policies more in line with legislation

If we are being honest, what is so bad about that? Don't fall for the hyperbolic fearmongering that tries to equate free speech to the outright disregard of individual protection rights. Free speech existed long before those rights even existed and in many cases it was the actual catalyst for the emergence of these rights. Under these constitutional free speech laws, America abolished slavery, introduced protection-laws against discrimination, fostered democratic freedom and advanced civil rights.

Over the past decade the U.S. has slowly turned into a oligarchic model of media ownership, where public opinion making had been in the hands of a technocratic elite. Elon wants to put an end to this and restore open debate to American society. To somehow assume that free speech leads to chaos and murder is absolutely not what history has shown and only serves to smear and obfuscate Elon's true goals.

dolabla

Remember the lawyer that was on with Rogan and Tim Pool? She cried at the news of Musk taking over, lol. It's almost like these people have something to hide and know their little (ideological) game is up. Hopefully Musk exposes everything. But he honestly doesn't even have to. Their ridiculous reactions to the news tells the tale.

Monday was an emotional day at Twitter — even for its executives.

Shortly after billionaire Elon Musk bought the powerful social media platform, top Twitter lawyer Vijaya Gadde called a virtual meeting with the policy and legal teams she oversees to discuss what the new ownership could mean for them.

Gadde cried during the meeting as she expressed concerns about how the company could change, according to three people familiar with the meeting. She acknowledged that there are significant uncertainties about what the company will look like under Musk’s leadership.

Last edited:

Konnor

Remember the lawyer that was on with Rogan and Tim Pool? She cried at the news of Musk taking over, lol. It's almost like these people have something to hide and know their little (ideological) game is up. Hopefully Musk exposes everything. But he honestly doesn't even have to. Their ridiculous reactions to the news tell the tale.

What a professional!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bye Vijaya. But dont cry too much. I'm sure you'll get a gigantic severance package.

Gadde cried during the meeting as she expressed concerns about how the company could change, according to three people familiar with the meeting. She acknowledged that there are significant uncertainties about what the company will look like under Musk’s leadership.
Well, if Musk's extroverted attitude hold true for Twitter, he'll be like this:

1. Outspoken
2. Likes to crack jokes as opposed to an invisible suit and tie guy
3. Will clean up the company and try to make a great high quality product focusing on product first, and no personal politics and bringing home life to the workplace
4. Will make the company strive for something innovative instead of status quo
5. Will fire any fucknuts working there

The only people who should be crying and afraid of a CEO like this are employees engrained in emotional politics or laziness.

If Musk announced he took over my company, everyone would be amped up. The current leadership team is great too, but who doesn't want to work for a leader who can take a company and zoom it up the charts? And he looks like the kind of corner office boss you can chill and chat with. The guy will probably give everyone a company perk of Tesla discounts too!

Last edited:

vpance

Seems Twitter is already flipping the switch on their algorithm. One side is suddenly gaining tons of followers, while the other is dropping just as much. Whether this is due to bots or inflating with dead accounts, I don’t know, but I suspect twitter is trying to wipe as much as possible before the deal closes.

The code is supposed to be locked down but I'm sure certain devs are able to play fast and loose with that rule somehow. It's going to be a while before Elon takes the reigns too.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The code is supposed to be locked down but I'm sure certain devs are able to play fast and loose with that rule somehow. It's going to be a while before Elon takes the reigns too.
Reading these articles about people dropping followers like crazy as real people bail the site, I guess it can make sense if tons of Musk haters quit their account.

But since Musk hasnt done one thing yet, if it's bots dropping why would they? The bot creators are bailing ship too? Or coders at head office are already adjusting shit on their end to hammer down on bots?

Mistake

So you don't like a thing that Elon is doing, because that thing happens to be also liked by people you don't like?
Do you also only like things that are liked by people you like? Popularity is bad metric to judge things. I think it's better to assess a thing by itself and based on its own merit, rather than by who it is liked by.

Pizza is also liked by all sorts of unsavory people, that doesn't mean that pizza is bad. Questionable people liking what Elon is doing, doesn't imply that the sympathy is mutual in other regards.
Only because they happen to agree on one thing, doesn't mean that they agree on all the things. If people would actually listen to what Elon is saying, I truly doubt that he likes the things that these questionable people stand by.

Here is what he is suggesting:
  • Reinforcing free speech in regards to the mutual exchange of ideas
  • Making the twitter algorithm transparent
  • Ensuring twitter's political neutrality as a platform for public debate and opinion making
  • Bringing twitter moderation policies more in line with legislation

If we are being honest, what is so bad about that? Don't fall for the hyperbolic fearmongering that tries to equate free speech to the outright disregard of individual protection rights. Free speech existed long before those rights even existed and in many cases it was the actual catalyst for the emergence of these rights. Under these constitutional free speech laws, America abolished slavery, introduced protection-laws against discrimination, fostered democratic freedom and advanced civil rights.

Over the past decade the U.S. has slowly turned into a oligarchic model of media ownership, where public opinion making had been in the hands of a technocratic elite. Elon wants to put an end to this and restore open debate to American society. To somehow assume that free speech leads to chaos and murder is absolutely not what history has shown and only serves to smear and obfuscate Elon's true goals.
It’s truly sad how some people are convinced that free speech is some kind of dog whistle for extremists
Reading these articles about people dropping followers like crazy as real people bail the site, I guess it can make sense if tons of Musk haters quit their account.

But since Musk hasnt done one thing yet, if it's bots dropping why would they? The bot creators are bailing ship too? Or coders at head office are already adjusting shit on their end to hammer down on bots?
People are not just losing followers, others are gaining a lot without even doing anything, like Crowder. It could be a number of reasons. Some people returning to the site, others leaving, or tweaking of the algorithm. I think it’s weird how most of this happened overnight, all at once

You are nothing but a paramecium in the grand scheme of things. Except to your inner circle, nothing would change if you were gone.

I can say that Elon living has positively affected my life with PayPal alone. No hero worship, but the dude has to be the closest thing to a billionaire who is also decent human being.

Brown Nose.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
All stocks are down, even Tesla was getting hammered.

Twitter is also locked right now. They are drawing correlations where there are none.

It's the number one most downloaded app on the Apple store, their waitlist is in the million and millions, and they are still in beta rolling it out in phases.

When it goes full blown, then we can judge how it performs. But as of right now, people show to be hungry for it, even the average Apple user, who knew?

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Man, i hate the coverage of this. All these people feel some type of way, because other people are happy a change is coming.

And the thing is, the people who are happy don't even fully know what's to come. Yeah people may get unbanned, but who's to say they won't get banned again??

Then the people who are unset, seem to think Twitter will turn into 4chan. Man, this shit is all so tiring.

I'm interested in the algorithm being made open source. I wonder if engagment is the current priority. I wonder how it could be changed what the effect will be.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
He's getting blamed for "sending hate mobs" after people for the horrible action of... responding to a question someone asked him on the platform.

And all the tech sites and even some news sites are like "ELON DIRECTS HATE MOB AFTER FEMALE TWITTER EMPLOYEES!"

And these same companies wonder why no one trusts the press anymore.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
He's getting blamed for "sending hate mobs" after people for the horrible action of... responding to a question someone asked him on the platform.

And all the tech sites and even some news sites are like "ELON DIRECTS HATE MOB AFTER FEMALE TWITTER EMPLOYEES!"

And these same companies wonder why no one trusts the press anymore.
It's a problem. Not because any of this is legitimate or actually Elon's fault--it's not--but because thousands of attention-seeking journalists now have a viable way to blame him for every idiot who says something hateful on Twitter.

Mistake

I'm interested in the algorithm being made open source. I wonder if engagment is the current priority. I wonder how it could be changed what the effect will be.
I’m also waiting on this before making any judgments. If it performs better with higher security, I’m all for it. Seems too many people keep getting accounts hacked or their information leaked, which will be a bigger problem if they will be verifying users more

Fbh

I like the things he is saying though he kinda seems to be struggling a bit going through the questions, as if he wasn't prepared. But I haven't seen too many interviews with him so maybe he just has a sort of unorganized way to speak in general.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It's a problem. Not because any of this is legitimate or actually Elon's fault--it's not--but because thousands of attention-seeking journalists now have a viable way to blame him for every idiot who says something hateful on Twitter.
Yes. And those with an agenda are going to constantly say "Twitter was never like this before Elon took over!" every time someone says something mean to them. And news sites will run with it, like it's true.

And before Elon and his engineers figure out how to stomp out all the foreign troll accounts, expect those troll farms to flood the platform with a bunch of racist and bigoted stuff to try and make that narrative a reality. There's no way the Russia and China troll farms don't see this as an opportunity to sow more division by trying to make it seem like Elon is creating a bastion for vile people by flooding the platform with racist stuff right after he buys it.

Last edited:
I like the things he is saying though he kinda seems to be struggling a bit going through the questions, as if he wasn't prepared. But I haven't seen too many interviews with him so maybe he just has a sort of unorganized way to speak in general.
He historically struggles with talking in front of large groups of people.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Fbh

belmarduk

All stocks are down, even Tesla was getting hammered.

Twitter is also locked right now. They are drawing correlations where there are none.

It's the number one most downloaded app on the Apple store, their waitlist is in the million and millions, and they are still in beta rolling it out in phases.

When it goes full blown, then we can judge how it performs. But as of right now, people show to be hungry for it, even the average Apple user, who knew?

Awesome. Even better that it should be successful. Happy to be corrected.

Is this a satirical mocking of all those fuckin weird Elon fan boys or something

MrMephistoX

It should do. And it will be glorious for all us centrist, science led, anti religion, anti woke scumbags :messenger_beaming:
That pretty much sums me up add pro 2A and anti big government bureaucratic inefficiency yet in favor of solving income inequality through rewriting the tax code to eliminate loopholes that allow the mega rich to avoid tax. Sorry everyone only gets to deduct their mortgage, credit card and student loan interest on their personal forms like the Simpson Bolles plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom