• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enemies that made you go "Nope"

masud

Banned
Here's one that probably wasn't mentioned yet.
Castlevania%2B%2528U%2529%2B%2528V1.2%2529%2B%2Bsnap0009.jpg

Invincible chainsaw Frankenstein guy and his two gargoyle dogs from Castlevania 64.

That game is criminally underrated.

tumblr_m9dbwajDy61rq1xcqo1_500.gif

Endermen from minecraft. Soo creepy. They could be easy as hell to kill but I'll never know because I run away every time I see one. Nope.

Chris_C

tumblr_m9dbwajDy61rq1xcqo1_500.gif

Endermen from minecraft. Soo creepy. They could be easy as hell to kill but I'll never know because I run away every time I see one. Nope.

They only chase you if you run away from them. Like the Ghosts in Super Mario World, if you keep staring at them, they won't attack you, and you can just walk by.

Skunkers

Poison headcrabs are the absolute worst. Made me swear off scary games pretty much for good. No Half-Life 3 for me.

I don't like spiders either, though the ones in Skyrim don't bother me. I was terrified to run into one when I first got the game and of course you encounter them in the tutorial. Fortunately, something about the way they animate doesn't look real so they don't scare me, I just murder them and collect their venom.

RELIGHT

Banned
I couldn't find the image but there is a particular monster in Blood Omen 2 that scared the shit out of me. It was huge and fucking fast and you couldn't face it head on or you were done.

Jobbs

Banned

Do we need to better define a "nope"?. you can't nope O&S because when you see them, you're stuck in an arena with them and there's nowhere to go, do or die. When I think of "nope"ing, I think of some shit you can run the fuck away from.

sprinkles

360fx360f

More endlessly annoying than scary, I often found myself just sprinting and jumping away (likely to my death) from these little buggers than fighting them head on.

Steroyd

Do we need to better define a "nope"?. you can't nope O&S because when you see them, you're stuck in an arena with them and there's nowhere to go, do or die. When I think of "nope"ing, I think of some shit you can run the fuck away from.

I define "nope" as I see an enemy and I think "aw hell naw" whether I have to take it on or not.

Kind of like that evil Sun bastard in Super Mario Brothers 3.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Fuck you, dolphin. Scarred for life.

so the worst part was I was fairly early in the game, and I accidentally switched two letters in the level password and got jumped to the area with the freaky aliens without warning

and then I freaked out, and then I attacked one and its head came off and kept coming after me

and that was the last time I played Ecco the Dolphin

I still remember that code to this day

Mr.Jeff

I can't find an appropriate picture but I used to loathe the Nail Gun Killer in Shadowman. You encounter him right at the start then go through an entire abandoned apartment complex before making your way to the roof without seeing him again.

Then as you're wandering through narrow passageways in the attic you turn a corner and he's running right at you with two nail guns and you have nowhere to run.

Fuck that guy.

Most enemies in the Resident Evil games that are "one of a kind" that don't appear alot or only once.

Like the scagdead. The first time it appeared I was pretty much shitting all over the walls. Then he kept coming back as a returning enemy and made it less big of a deal. Same with Ooze Rachael.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgjdFlUtgHI

Along with the black background and sky creeped me out. Infact nearly everything in the early tomb raiders freaked me out.

Ugh, they totally ruined this sequence in Anniversary. It was supposed to be just a normal enemy yet they made it into a boss fight. Area was so small too.

ElfArmy177

1. Two headed babies in silent hill.

2. Clickers

3. That bitch that crawls out of boxes in fatal frame!!!

4. The bear in condemned.

5. That thing that chased you in kileak on ps1.

I'm certain I'm not the first to post this in this thread but seriously the Wallmasters in OOT genuinely terrified me at the time (and still do).

tumblr_m61qijgSKH1qzmhlxo1_400.gif

Novocaine

Here's one for the vanilla WoW players:

r6d5.jpg

Freakin' Sons of Arugal

Good god the one in Silverpine forest tore my shit up so many times when I was new and clueless.

A few more memorable ones;

Creepers from Minecraft - Nope'd those too many times to count.

Shambler from Quake - First time I saw this thing I ran in fear all the way back to the start of the level.

SA-X from Metroid Fusion - The first time you encountered it
when from out of nowhere it blew apart a door and made you run through a gauntlet while it was chasing you
scared the shit out of me.

Chainsaw Zombie from Doom 3 - There was a part in the game where
you are walking up a corridor with blood writing all over the walls and you would occasionally see a zombie with a chainsaw standing there which I found out to be an illusion after swapping my torch for an MG and spraying the hall with bullets. After going through that a few times you end up at a door and
I ended up turning the game off because I couldn't handle it.

Ithil

tumblr_m7sdcwcJFj1qetk1ro1_400.gif

The first one you encounter was placed brilliantly.

While they are scary, the first time I played the game, a decade ago, the very first Crimson Head, the one in the gif, stood up for the first time, and I spun on the spot and fired a potshot at it, which.....blew its head clean off. All in the space of 2-3 seconds.

Little anti-climactic.

BigDes

The cake looking things from Link's Awakening that could eat you and I think steal your sword

Fuck off, I was 9

Steroyd

Just remembered another one from my childhood.

Ka3IZYG.jpg

An enemy built around NOPE.

And it took me a while to pick up game again, knowing that it was somewhere out there.

The witch in left for dead. The first time I encountered her she was crying and I was like ok let me help this girl out. I go close to her and she whipped my ass. Now I try to avoid her at all costs.

Om3ga

FFIX-Tonberry.jpg

Look at this pussy. He couldn't possibly cause me any problems.

(10 turns later)

WHY WON'T YOU FUCKING DIE
Came in here to post this. Actually love the look of the character, but every time I fought one in a random battle I'd just run.

Azure J

You know what I particularly like about people mentioning the OG 2D Mario enemies? In Super Mario Bros. the only thing that came close to being Nope tier were Hammer Bros for younger me. Super Mario Bros 3 though with the change in artstyle? I couldn't get past the first midstage castle because of Roto-disks, the living fireballs with differing jump heights and the completely dark backdrop. Then later in the game you got introduced to Boos, Dry Bones, Fire Snakes and Hot Foots? NOPE.

Then years later, I'd learn fear for the Hammer Bros when I played Lost Levels/SMB2JP and they could chase you. NOPE NOPE NOPE

lt519

Deathclaws from Fallout, that was always a sign to just run earlier in the game
Adamantiose when you first get to gran pulse
There were some nasty affinity combos early on in diablo iii, like fire chains, molten, freezing, fast, extra health....yikes

Img0067.jpg

Basilisk from Dark Souls. Fuck these things, fighting them before the gameplay patch meant that if you stayed in their gas cloud long enough, you would get 50% max hp (cursed) and have to make a 30-40 min trek to the top of a chapel to pay an absurd amount of currency to get cured. Its a huge time sink to be killed by these things and if you're not careful its easy to get ambushed by 2 and get cursed almost immediately.

eggplant.gif

Eggplant wizard from Kid Icarus. These things are a POS for a similar reason to basilisk, but they are arguably even worse. They make it so you can't attack, so you basically have to dodge everything on your way back to the hospital to get cured. IIRC you only have to be hit once, and there are more than one of them in a room.

lt519

The witch in left for dead. The first time I encountered her she was crying and I was like ok let me help this girl out. I go close to her and she whipped my ass. Now I try to avoid her at all costs.

So much this. Love the tonberry below too. This thread is going to give me the gamers equivalent of nightmares. I'm gonna go play a puzzle game.

Btw, FTL had a lot of nope moments as well. You knew right away if you were outmatched and could never get that FTL charged up fast enough.

Top Bottom