• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enemies that made you go "Nope"

Fermbiz

Gold Member
197932-turok-dinosaur-hunter-windows-screenshot-bugs-s.jpg

This. I couldn't stand the sounds of their foots steps and once I saw them, I would get so scared I would turn off the system. Straight up Nope!

Syf

Banned
That Turok beetle reminds me of those.. things that were always in the caves. You'd hear them coming long before they arrived. I learned to dread that sound as a kid.

197939-turok-dinosaur-hunter-windows-screenshot-the-mother-of-all.jpg

MoosiferX

quake.jpg

Quake 1 , these things terrified me as a kid.

I'm right there with you on the Shamblers.

My first ever nope monster (to the best of my memory):

commanderkeen.jpg

They run at you so fast the second they see you! Id Software is responsible for most of my nightmares as a young'un. Incredible thread, btw! Happy to see the T. Rex from Tomb Raider, and the Butcher from Diablo represented.

D_prOdigy

I'm pretty sure this was designed to be a "NOPE" moment. The boss comes in as a surprise, and there's plenty of room to run away from it. The designers did a good job.

Boss? Pah. Spider-thing is a mini-boss at most.

Tis a great entrance, though.

Zertez

There is too many encounters to list from Demons Souls and Dark Souls that made me say nope and try to turn around to run. They were smart, evil, and sick adding the fog walls. Even when you wanted to run screaming, you couldnt all you could do was try to kill it or stand there and die in fear.

fucking scissorman. (Clock Tower 2)

never played the game again.
Scissorman.PNG
Pretty much scissorman in any Clocktower game. When playing Clocktower 1 on the PS, the 1st encounter with him scared me, but I tried to man up and continue on. I ran into him again and took a break, but by the 3rd encounter it was too much and said "nope" then turned the game off and stopped playing it.

I always try to play horror games at night in total darkness and I never did finish a Clocktower game bc of him. I even tried playing clockwork 2 because I was older and thought it wouldnt be that bad then boom enter scissor man and it was over for me. I have played and beat most horror games, while there has been other games with things that have creeped me out, there is something about the Clocktower series that was too much for me. Not sure it is about the Clocktower series, but even the creepy and strange things in Silent hill didnt bother me as much as the buildup and the encounters with scissorman.

I dont have any pictures but the mannequins in BIoshock Fort Frolic and crazy as it sounds a bucket and addicts/vagrants in Condemned 1. I would scare myself shitless kicking a bucket by mistake in Condemned and then an addict would charge you, I said nope and had to turn it off. I finished the game, but during the daytime.

CTLance

Kind of by design, and already mentioned, but this:
k2P347U.jpg

needs to be mentioned some more.

Source:
SA-X from Metroid Fusion.

So colorful, if you compare it to all of the stuff posted in this thread. Still, I'd rather go barehandedly against DevilJho than go in a fully equipped suit against this thing. It's the way this game is set up that makes it so terrifying.

jWILL253

Banned
Grand Dragons in Final Fantasy IX. Fuck them, but once you got to a certain level with certain items, they were perfect for grinding.

FULL MEMBER STATUS

EDIT: Premature, lol...

limaCAT

Banned
One summer I corrupted my Windows 98 system with my half life saves on it. When I went back to install it I thought.

"And I have to do all the game from zero, Including the part with motherfucking Gargantua at the end of the power station?"

fj0typX.jpg

In the end I did not reinstall half life.

And I just found on Youtube that there was an ever worse part with a Gargantua that I did not do...

Fomalhaut

Neo Member
The two-headed babies in Silent Hill 4. There's something about their size and the way they move that makes them terrifying compared to the other Silent Hill monsters.

JCEQwQU.jpg

Img0067.jpg

Basilisk from Dark Souls. Fuck these things, fighting them before the gameplay patch meant that if you stayed in their gas cloud long enough, you would get 50% max hp (cursed) and have to make a 30-40 min trek to the top of a chapel to pay an absurd amount of currency to get cured. Its a huge time sink to be killed by these things and if you're not careful its easy to get ambushed by 2 and get cursed almost immediately.

Wait, what? Isn't this still the case?

Those floaty spinny blade things in Silent Hill 3, first seen in the opening carnival level. I have no idea what they look like, I'm running before I see them.

I can't remember that being in Sonic 3.

That's because they were from Sonic & Knuckles. I loved that level, especially the music and all the sand slides.

I don't "nope" very often, but as a kid, the goddamn monster fish things from Half-Life. The one by the dam.... I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I jumped into the water and was greeted by a giant fish coming straight at me. Q_Q I'm surprised only one person in this thread has mentioned it.

Ichthyosaur.jpg

Dead_Space_The_Hunter_by_AlsatianVDK.jpg

For whatever reason, not as terrifying in Dead Space 2, although I never finished the game so I suppose that could change (played on the hardest difficulty and thought I could just run through the last level only to reach the final boss with literally no ammunition).

Sparse

While they are scary, the first time I played the game, a decade ago, the very first Crimson Head, the one in the gif, stood up for the first time, and I spun on the spot and fired a potshot at it, which.....blew its head clean off. All in the space of 2-3 seconds.

Little anti-climactic.

Good shot, but still, that was unfortunate (heh).

JesseZao

Earliest for me would be the Wizard in King's Quest III...but once he appears, it's too late to run away. I had nightmares of being turned to dust or imagining him appearing around stairs for a good portion of my childhood.

Other notable enemy was the first time I encountered the (edit) *Phase* I Dark Trooper in Dark Forces. I had just gone down an open-air lift to the ground level of a large cavernous room and there are no enemies in sight. All of a sudden the guy bolts around the corner at me and i die instantly. I jumped out of my seat.

I'll have to try and find some pictures when I get home later.

Earliest for me would be the Wizard in King's Quest III...but once he appears, it's too late to run away. I had nightmares of being turned to dust or imagining him appearing around stairs for a good portion of my childhood.

Other notable enemy was the first time I encountered the Mark I Dark Trooper in Dark Forces. I had just gone down an open-air lift to the ground level of a large cavernous room and there are no enemies in sight. All of a sudden the guy bolts around the corner at me and i die instantly. I jumped out of my seat.

Yeah, Manannon was no joke! I think he kills you if you have any inventory when he appears and if you don't respond to the random command/chore he gives you within 1 min he kills you.

I think the PS1 Tomb Raider games really embody this whole "nope" feeling. There's a lot of creepily empty areas you run around and platform about, and then boom, there's a a bengal tiger. Or a shark. Or a fucking T-Rex.

sharukurusu1.jpg

I still can't stand fighting some of the reaverbots from Mega Man Legends.

Good call. That noise they make when they've spotted you. Their abnormal speed and the clanking sound they make as they chase you around. It's oddly chilling...definitely had me on edge.

JesseZao

Yeah, Manannon was no joke! I think he kills you if you have any inventory when he appears and if you don't respond to the random command/chore he gives you within 1 min he kills you.

Yep. Needless to say I never beat the game as a kid. Then IV came out and it wasn't quite as scary and I was more tolerant of tension (or just older and better at games) so I was able to beat it (and then V and VI later).

I have the digital collection , so someday I'll beat the first three.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Screw Deathclaws, Cazadores I cannot stand.
Preach brother

The one in the basement....
ahh man
Clickers & Bloaters in The Last of Us.
ahhh maaan...
The Last of Us - Clickers, Bloaters, Stalkers

I've had to take a break from this game because I find some of the enemies that disturbing.
AHH MAN
It's been a week since I've played, the ps3 is disconnected in the corner
because of THIS
last of us spoilers kinda??

In The Last of Us around 5 hours in when you're cut off from Ellie because an elevator falls under you, what the hell where those things you fight when you're trying to make your way back up to her? You get out of the water and at first I only heard faint sounds, did the listen thing and saw three of them. I sat in a pitch black room with no flashlight on, but all three of them somehow found me, killed me and scared the living shit out of me. They acted like runners but looked like clickers. Turned my ps3 off and haven't played since yesterday because of that.

None of us are finishing this game

Can it go invisible?
Can it move fast?
Does it make loud noises?

If it does a combination of two or more of the above I'm out. I'm going home.
Sounds about right

WHAT THE FUCK MAN
Great stuff in here! Memories..

Something that wasn't posted yet: Motherfucking Spider Shibitos in Siren: Blood Curse.

siren-blood-curse-episodes-pack-psn-20080716102611721-2477051.jpg

Foto+Siren%3A+Blood+Curse.jpg

Oh wait, almost anything in Siren made me go NOPE:

siren_blood_curse_679722040.jpg

siren-blood-curse-4e263a870a80a.jpg

And especially the boss was absolutely terrifying:

Egomaniacalfreak1-Siren--Blood-Curse---Episode-9-1-Regular-e10874344.png
jesus fucking christ, I will never play this game

Unless I get really high and have a really bad idea
tooscary to repeat[/mg][/QUOTE]
This was so horrifying it meant i never played dark souls just after buying it
[quote="PlayALLtheGames, post: 65461046"]Dead Space 3. Everything in it.[/QUOTE]
Joke?

Grayman

Other notable enemy was the first time I encountered the (edit) *Phase* I Dark Trooper in Dark Forces. I had just gone down an open-air lift to the ground level of a large cavernous room and there are no enemies in sight. All of a sudden the guy bolts around the corner at me and i die instantly. I jumped out of my seat.

Most of my hours with dark forces was the 3 level disc that came in one of the lucas arts archives. It played up to the sewer level filled with tentacle monsters emulating the creature from A New Hopes garbage disposal. Sometimes the eye looks around but generally they are hidden. They stalk the player and then pop up taking a large chunk of health through armor and flashing the screen red with damage.
136574880924.png

the moto of this water maze was run. always run. if you spend time on land don't go back in the water without paniced blaster shots at the sludge or a thermal detonator. One of the better horror enemies in a non horror shooter.

Yep. Needless to say I never beat the game as a kid. Then IV came out and it wasn't quite as scary and I was more tolerant of tension (or just older and better at games) so I was able to beat it (and then V and VI later).

I have the digital collection , so someday I'll beat the first three.

AGDI made some great remakes of King's Quest 1, 2, and 3. I just beat KQ3 right now actually, you can find them here:

http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

That's because they were from Sonic & Knuckles. I loved that level, especially the music and all the sand slides.

I don't "nope" very often, but as a kid, the goddamn monster fish things from Half-Life. The one by the dam.... I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I jumped into the water and was greeted by a giant fish coming straight at me. Q_Q I'm surprised only one person in this thread has mentioned it.

Ichthyosaur.jpg

That's because I needed therapy to forget this damn monster.
Thank you very much :mad:

qq more

Ichthyosaur.jpg

Yeah I was shocked that no one mentioned that monster. I had a hard time going under water sometimes because of them.

In speaking of water monsters, that giant fish from Mario 64 that eats you. Every time I encounter them I'm all "NOPE NOPE NOPE" and swim out of there. D:

Top Bottom