• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Excluding Crysis name one game graphically ahead of it's time.

Ezquimacore

Banned
WjGDBV.gif

FluffySomeCatbird-max-1mb.gif

tumblr_mf8mf3gqoQ1rnmjr5o1_r3_500.gif

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
  • Strike Commander: 1993 DOS game that brought advanced texture mapping, a custom Realspace Engine and demanded a Pentium.
  • The Gift: A PC/PS2 game that did Doom 3 stencil shadows before Severance/Blade.
  • Severance/Blade: The Edge Of Darkness: Doom 3 style lighting and stencil shadows, context aware animation, physics.
  • Outcast: uses the Paradise Engine, being software rendered mean't it had soft shadows, depth of field, motion blur, shaded water. It looks a bit like X360's Kameo
  • Transformers PS2: Melbourne House's outing rendered huge draw distances, massive tree rendering, bloom and more. It looks more like a low res PS3 game.
  • Shrek Xbox: Pioneered deferred shading and lighting
  • SWAT: Global Strike Team: 2003 like Mirror's Edge but earlier, had pre-baked global illumination (or attempted), gave it a unique look.
  • Stolen: stencil shadows.
  • Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict: Using a custom fork of UE2, it had highly advanced shaders for a OG Xbox game.
  • Wreckless: 60 fps and advanced post-processi g
  • Manhunter: post-processing
  • Star Wars Episode 1: Battle For Naboo: 2000/2001 N64 game utilizing custom microcode for enhamced draw distances and colored lighting
  • The World Is Not Enough N64: Looked like a Gamecube FPS at times
  • Quake 2 PSX: Custom engine in assembly allows almost full Quake 2 to be played at a stable 30 fps with colored lighting.
  • Mirror's Edge: 2008 game with Beast pre-baked global illumination which still looks good.

Killzone SF is still pretty advanced in my opinion. The Infamous PS3 games were great looking.

Played most of my games from the those two eras on 1:1 pixel mapping displays, so I could experience the game in its truest form.

Trunx81

Gold Member
Uncharted 2, dashing through the snow.
It felt like a freaking movie when I played it back in the days.

Three

Probably been discussed a dozen times but what game was graphically ahead of the competition during it's release. Excluding Crysis of course which is probably THE ultimate game ahead of it's time.

Yes it's an Arcade game but for me personally it is Scud Race. Game released in 1996 during the 32/64-bit era.

Not until the DC/PS2/GC/Xbox era did we see this graphical fidelity.

I was always amazed seeing this at the arcade.

Business

Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast outright shit on the arcade games of the time.

Gran Turismo 3 was a massive leap in visuals over any other racer on the market and even GT4 wasn't quite as good looking.

Rogue Squadron II on Gamecube was bananas for a launch title. People were comparing it favorably to the movies.

Those are super solid picks.

Sygma

This one seems a good choice. You can play that or Black Mesa today and not feel any disparity in immersion or gameplay.

I wished this was true. Gave black Mesa a spin a couple of months ago and forced myself to finish it. Didn't age well at all compared to what the fans are saying

Shenmue - DC

Elite - BBC

Knight Lore - ZX Spectrum

Doctor Hauzer - 3DO

VF3 - Arcade

F29 Retaliator - Atari St

Tomb Raider - Sega Saturn

Star Blade - Arcade

Sygma

Thinking about it it's literally super safe to throw in any game made by Massive entertainment. Ground control was so ahead of everything, they did it again with world in conflict and after that they just taught studios how to make an insanely detailed and cohesive always online open world which basically is still the best looking online game

Last edited:

Belthazar

Final Fantasy XII definitely wowed me on the PS2, from the amazing character models to the dense and complex environments. It's no wonder the HD remaster still looks so good even today. Was also way ahead of it's time gameplay wise too.

Fredrik

The Last Ninja - C64 1987
Shadow of the Beast - Amiga 1989
Donkey Kong Country - SNES 1994
Soul Calibur - Dreamcast 1999
Gears of War - Xbox360 2006
Uncharted - PS3 2007
The Matrix Awakens UE5 Demo - PS5/XSX 2021

Last edited:

tkscz

Conker's bad fur day

By the time the game came out the PS2 was on its way and the Dreamcast was a few months in and this N64 game somehow managed to stack up to several of the games released for far more powerful hardware.

I don't know how Rareware did it, but they managed to pull off something I didn't think the N64 was capable of. Texture that didn't look like straight mud, insane draw distances, crazy good lighting and real time shadows. Yeah, frame rate would take a real hit at points but the majority of the game stuck to at least 20fps (that's good for the N64).

darrylgorn

I would say a lot of titles on the original XBOX would be most representative of a leap in graphical fidelity that wouldn't be matched for a long while after.

Halo, Forza, Battlefront, Splinter Cell, Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive are some that come to mind.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Doom 3, Half life 2, Splinter Cell Chaos theory drops my jaw at the time. Also Killzone and Infamous on PS4. Just The Matrix with UE5 give me the same this generation. Though I hate the reconstruction method, it's really visible around the character head in gameplay and cause a similar artifacts which remind a lot the interpolation setting of the TV.

Physics would have to be GTA IV & Red Faction Guerrilla, Still don't see games that level of physics with character animation other than RDR2 and Max Payne 3. As for Red Faction and environmental destruction. No game has tried or come close to it. Maybe Crackdown 3 MP but even that was a locked down map not an open world like RFG was.

Visuals at the time for EA's Black on PS2 & Xbox. was crazy good looking by the folks who worked on the Burnout games.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Non-mod gameplay, for a 2014 game it looks amazing.
I never said it wasn’t a looker, but the difference between the unmodded and modded versions is night and day. And although it does look good for a 2014 game, I think describing it as amazing is a bit of a stretch.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I was going to saw Baten Katos but then I googled it. Kid Goggles there.

I remember playing Prey at the time and thinking it didnt get nearly enough love in the graphics department but i had an obsession with ID Tech at the time.

Rage had its issues, but that game running at 60 FPS on xbox 360/PS3 was nuts at that fidelity.

Roufianos

Killzone 2 and Gears of War looked significantly better than any other games on console when they released, in my humble opinion.

Top Bottom