• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Excluding Crysis name one game graphically ahead of it's time.

supernova8

Banned
And for all the incredibly impressive feats that they each brought to the table, nothing blew me away like seeing Doom 3 in action for the first time:
ss_15559ce8d50ad32f959531815d21b10238fb7344.1920x1080.jpg

The lighting, textures and shading were just that far ahead. You needed a monster PC to see it - or a friend with one, like I had - but there was simply nothing else on that level.
Fucking Doom 3 I bought it just to be able to push my Geforce 6800 GT to the limit. I was too chicken shit to actually play the game properly but I was happy to wonder around the station and marvel at the graphics without going to the bit that triggered all the monsters coming in from the hellgate.

Oh the memories. Those were the days where you would go on Guru3D.com to download tech demos. Fucking tech demos, huh. Weird that the GPU makers never make and release tech demos anymore. It's so boring these days.

Rickyiez

Fucking Doom 3 I bought it just to be able to push my Geforce 6800 GT to the limit. I was too chicken shit to actually play the game properly but I was happy to wonder around the station and marvel at the graphics without going to the bit that triggered all the monsters coming in from the hellgate.

Oh the memories. Those were the days where you would go on Guru3D.com to download tech demos. Fucking tech demos, huh. Weird that the GPU makers never make and release tech demos anymore. It's so boring these days.
Didn't Nvidia released the Marble and a couple of RT tech demo like the Starwars one , and also Epic with the desert UE5 tech demo.

Pretty sure the Matrix tech demo will be available for public soon.

amigastar

As far as goes the fairly inexpensive 16-bit home consoles of the early '90s Donkey Kong Country was jaw dropping when it was unveiled in 1994, so much that many couldn't believe it could run on a stock SNES.

2604495-5485770987-DKC-O.gif

DKC-SlipslideRide.gif
yes, it was a clever use of prerendered sprites. Technically it was not very different from Super Mario World beside that they used Pre rendered material.

Last edited:

lachesis

NPnFO8A.jpg

For me, it was this 1983 game, Xevious. One of the first game that actually struck me as visual masterpiece.

Compared to other games, it used proper rendering for the light sources with actual, attractive mechanical and art design.
Part of it, is that the enemies were drawn with actual proper light sources in mind - including the background objects.

That little flying saucer enemy that comes in and spins away (the first enemy you encounter) - still blows my mind that the game came out in 1983.
As artistic stand point, I really do think this game was quite ahead of other games.

All the model 3 Sega arcade games were way ahead of their time. I remember Scud Race or Virtua Striker 2 in 1996 and they were incredible.
It was the last time when you could play something technically impossible at home.
On consoles, I'd say Shenmue and Soul Calibur, or GT3 on ps2

MujkicHaris

Far Cry (PC) really blew me away when I first played it. Especially how good and diverse lighting and vegetation looked. Still a nice looking game in my book. I also have to mention two that pushed the non-realistic/stylized graphics: Beautiful hand-painted Dragon Quest VIII and Rogue Galaxy.

Other games:
TES IV: Oblivion (PC)
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (PC)
God of War II (PS2)

Last edited:

shubik

Jet Force Gemini for the N64 was insane back in the day. Especially that one level with the reflections. Rareware was simply outstanding. Too bad Microsoft fucked them up.

anthony2690

Remember me
It used material based shaders a lot, which is a big reason games looked a lot better on PS4/X1 compared to the 360/PS3.

d7ai6vx-87ca32da-e6b6-42fd-be72-a2b4e0e63a4a.gif
I quite enjoyed remember me, shame it never got added to backwards compatibility programme.
The combat let the game down though imo.

I'm super biased because it's my favorite game but I still mean it.

pic_1574727037.jpg

Gothic 2, a game from 2002. Most impressive is the draw distance and the density of the vegetation I think. Especially compared to Morrowind, that came out in the same year:

1iH0oxhl.jpg

To be fair, no PC at the time could run Gothic 2 at maximum details. The game would become a stuttery mess, especially the closer you got to the main city. My poor Geforce 2 MX 400 could only handle like 60% draw distance, while 300% was the maximum.

stranno

I don't know if it has been mentionned yet but Heart of darkness comes to mind.
heart-of-darkness-cinematic-platformer.gif
HOD is amazing, but it only shines with the open source reimplementation HODE. The original game on Playstation, Saturn and PC had really downgraded colors (probably because it was gonna be released like 3 or 4 years before), slow framerate and crappy aspect ratio. HODE allows interpolated animations and better aspect ratio + PSX assets on many platforms.

Bramble

The Last of Us 2. And not only in graphics. Also in physics, motion capture, animations and story telling. It shits on most new games. Uncharted 4 on PS5 is also very impressive and ahead of most next gen/cross gen games.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
HOD is amazing, but it only shines with the open source reimplementation HODE. The original game on Playstation, Saturn and PC had really downgraded colors (probably because it was gonna be released like 3 or 4 years before), slow framerate and crappy aspect ratio. HODE allows interpolated animations and better aspect ratio + PSX assets on many platforms.
Sure it can be better but the fluidity when you had to wiggle out of those shadows was so smooth.It was beyond anything I had seen at that time and for a long time too.

nkarafo

What's HODE? Was the game remastered? I can't find anything.

Edit: NVM, i found it:

Last edited:

mxbison

I really hope that this game will come to PS VR 2. I always wanted to try it but nobody I know owns a headset.

I think there's a good chance.

The controllers and tech should work fine for the game and Valve said they wouldn't mind having the game on other platforms iirc.

Celine

Rescue on Fractalus (Atari 8 bit computers; completed in 1984 but commercialized in 1985) and the subsequent Lucasart games that used the fractal engine (The Eidolon and Koronis Rift).

tumblr_muubv8dlyZ1sfivguo2_400.gifv

Faux 3D landscape at a "good" framerate (compared to games at the time that used polygon graphics on home systems) on puny Atari 8 bit computers.

World in Conflict.

It's a 3D RTS by the makers of Ground Control from like 2007 or something and to this day it still looks pretty incredible
Dude, thank you reminding me of this game.

I've been wanting to play it for ages but didn't have a PC up until the last three years.

Now that I do, and it's literally $2.50 on GOG, I might have to change that.

Laptop1991

Well not quite like Crysis but FEAR 1 was a jump in graphics, i had to buy a 6800 GT to play the game at the time, my first powered gpu.

mnkl13

if the crysis is the one game that comes to your mind for being ahead of it's time. then the best example i can give i think might be far cry by crytek that does a lot of what crysis did ahead of crysis.

Top Bottom