• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Elden Ring Gameplay - Exploring Castle Mourne

I'm sorry I'm finding it really hard to get excited over something that looks like this...

Screenshot-20220128-185506-You-Tube.jpg

Like what is this. Everything is so flat and lifeless looking. No shadows. The enemy right there took as much skill to kill as turning a doorknob. I really feel like I'm missing something here. Miyazaki's latest interview stating it's the easiest "souls" game seems to be true since all the videos ive seen show enemies being defested in like three hits. And who knows, I'm not considering From Software's pedigree but damn son, this just does not look impressive at all.

Last edited:

tommib

I'm sorry I'm finding it really hard to get excited over something that looks like this...

Like what is this. Everything is so flat and lifeless looking. No shadows. The enemy right there took as much skill to kill as turning a doorknob. I really feel like I'm missing something here. And who knows, I more than likely am co siderijg From Software's pedigree but damn son, this just does not look impressive at all.
Looks like medieval architecture in a dark-fantasy setting during a cloudy day. What is it with these lifeless/sterile complaints? You want a tropical beach with palm trees and garish rainbows coming out of a horse’s anus?
Angry Tv Land GIF by Teachers on TV Land

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned

Like what is this. Everything is so flat and lifeless looking. No shadows. The enemy right there took as much skill to kill as turning a doorknob. I really feel like I'm missing something here. Miyazaki's latest interview stating its the easiest "souls" game deems to be true since all the bideos ive seen show enemies being defested in like three hits. And who knows, I'm not considering From Software's pedigree but damn son, this just does not look impressive at all.
It will look great on your screen. That looks compressed as hell

Swift_Star

Banned

Like what is this. Everything is so flat and lifeless looking. No shadows. The enemy right there took as much skill to kill as turning a doorknob. I really feel like I'm missing something here. Miyazaki's latest interview stating its the easiest "souls" game deems to be true since all the bideos ive seen show enemies being defested in like three hits. And who knows, I'm not considering From Software's pedigree but damn son, this just does not look impressive at all.
It’s a brittle castle, what did you expect?

S0ULZB0URNE

It's not all about graphics but...
It's not to shabby IMO
XwsfgUo.gif

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Look goods to me. But I have no basis to compare it to since I dont play DS kinds of games.

The one thing that did look weird is the janky movement on the horse.

Boneless

fuck off GIF

The Aloy avatar gives you away casual.

Buggy Loop

sliding utah jazz GIF by NBA

Looks like fucking stairs 🤷‍♂️

Are we going to benchmark visuals based on stairs now?

This sums up some of my thoughts. I was watching people play the network test and the majority of players were just walking into enemies, poising through any attacks and mashing R1 to victory. And the game has a ton of recycled assets from Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne. Reused enemies, reused environments, even reused arrow traps straight out of DS3 levels. I'm not exactly hyped.

Kusarigama

Fair enough criticism about the graphics. FromSoftware has never had top notch graphical fidelity.

Pallas

The enemy designs do look great but I’m hoping it takes more than 3 hits to take out most enemies.

Just gonna assume the guy was wielding some end game axe or something?

I cant.
30clfh.png

The amount of defending of these graphics is very funny. Same people that will poop poop the top graphical showcases. “The character doesnt interact with every blade of grass, the character stepped on water before stepping on the dirt, there should be mud foot steps“

Graphics are borderline average, gameplay is beloved. flip the page.

I cant.
30clfh.png

The amount of defending of these graphics is very funny. Same people that will poop poop the top graphical showcases. “The character doesnt interact with every blade of grass, the character stepped on water before stepping on the dirt, there should be mud foot steps“

lol even as a FROMSOFT fan i agree. we all know how different it would be if elden ring was an exclusive. the game would be getting scrutinised to death right about now.

SLB1904

Banned
I cant.
30clfh.png

That's called hypocrisy. But just ignore these people. They are a very small vocal group.

Swift_Star

Banned
This sums up some of my thoughts. I was watching people play the network test and the majority of players were just walking into enemies, poising through any attacks and mashing R1 to victory. And the game has a ton of recycled assets from Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne. Reused enemies, reused environments, even reused arrow traps straight out of DS3 levels. I'm not exactly hyped.
And is that so different than any of the games, I always play these games mashing R1 to victory, defending and dodging here and there. Souls games are not hard, it’s all about build. You don’t need quick reflexes, you just need to know how to dodge and block. It’s not that hard.

Swift_Star

Banned
I cant.
30clfh.png

This only happens when talking about Sony exclusives like horizon. Cmon now.

Tschumi

This seems to confirm that they felt pressure from Demon's Souls to improve their graphics, it looks like they tweaked their lighting etc to make it a bit more bleak...

It looks worse than DS but it's open world which makes a huge difference, so I'm okay with it.

Top Bottom