• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Elden Ring Gameplay - Exploring Castle Mourne

I'm sorry I'm finding it really hard to get excited over something that looks like this...

Screenshot-20220128-185506-You-Tube.jpg

Like what is this. Everything is so flat and lifeless looking. No shadows. The enemy right there took as much skill to kill as turning a doorknob. I really feel like I'm missing something here. Miyazaki's latest interview stating it's the easiest "souls" game seems to be true since all the videos ive seen show enemies being defested in like three hits. And who knows, I'm not considering From Software's pedigree but damn son, this just does not look impressive at all.
Cant wait to play but notice that some are shrugging off the criticism because of their love of FromSoft. Imagine an ubi game looking like this. You wont hear the end of it.

YukiOnna

Cant wait to play but notice that some are shrugging off the criticism because of their love of FromSoft. Imagine an ubi game looking like this. You wont hear the end of it.
I don't know about others, but I'm shrugging it off because it doesn't matter to me. It's not important to the game and I find it odd this is the thing that holds people back here. Different developers have different priorities and scope.

skneogaf

Looks great, the network test looked amazing on my ps5 but will look unbelievable on my 3090, especially when the ray tracing is available.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Imagine an ubi game looking like this. You wont hear the end of it.
I don't play their games (other than Mario + Rabbit) because I find majority of Ubisoft games boring as fuck regardless how high tech their graphics are, FROM games in other hand actually god damn fun and satisfying.

I'm shrugging of the criticism because I genuinely don't care. I don't play From Software games for the graphics. I'd be playing them even if they still looked like the original Demon's Souls did on PS3. Elden Ring looks exactly like you'd expect a cross-gen From Software game to look, and it has looked like this ever since they first showed off gameplay months ago. To act all surprised and outraged now like this is something totally shocking or unexpected is just ridiculous.

Refrain from posting? What the fuck is this shit? What a fucking asshole.

You’re the one embarrassing yourself by expecting this to look like DS remake which was built to be a graphical showcase for a next-gen console. Go fuck yourself.

And maybe don’t initiate any replies with calling any poster “fucking stupid” because you disagree with them. Kitchen is too hot? You never played a fucking souls game and have 0 clue about makes these games loved.

GAF can ban me as much as they like but I have to tell you to go fuck yourself again (try it with RTX ON, could be a prettier fuck).
Yeah telling me to go jerk off to a tech demo when I replied to your post and gave reasons for why the other poster was saying this game is underwhelming is uncalled for. And just by the way I would jerk off to Matrix demo if I could play it but I own a gaming PC and none of the new consoles so that's a pleasure I have yet to indulge in until Epic decides to make it available on PC.

I said 'don't be fucking stupid' in my post yes because what Phunkydiabetic Phunkydiabetic posted wasn't rocket science or at all difficult to understand and you were very dismissing in your response to his post.
Seems going by your recent posts regarding this game that anyone who isn't gushing about the game is a hater or some childish nonsense like that.
Again its very simple mate. If you don't like or can't handle the opinions or comments of others in a thread then stay out of the thread.

The game looks below par graphically in regards to most cross gen games. There's nothing wrong with pointing that out but it seems in this thread that opinion has struck a few nerves.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

For some devs, showing off new games, graphics is all we have to go on. ER has the benefit of all of us knowing it will be stellar and while more graphic fidelity is welcome, it isn't nearly as important. Graphics like in the Demon's Souls remake is like a cherry on top of greatness but definitely not necessary. The game still looks awesome to me. Dark Souls 3 still looks awesome.

Buggy Loop

I did the Inca trail with a backpack for 4 day, what did I see most of the time? Stairs. Looked like grey stone stairs.

Hawking Radiation Hawking Radiation , the thing is that it all seems in bad faith when he takes a screenshot that happened for a few seconds and it’s a focus on ground, and stairs. You guys really want me to go through the best looking games to showcase you bad looking areas? Because that’s fucking easy, even on PC at ultra settings. So yea, you can think it’s not blowing off the lid of the graphical world, you can think that a remake of a level based game where devs don’t have to create any mechanics and with static conditions looks better than a cross gen open world with dynamic night/day cycle. Sure you can. Maybe we just don’t give a fuck. You can play Demon souls remake, while I guarantee you this game will get raving reviews, probably best souls game to date is what we’ll generally see. And then you’ll play the game, find it not as bad as YouTube videos showed.

Anyway..
q5ps021plle81.png

bb5x4x84zle81.jpg

Art and exploration is king for these games

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not watching any more content until the game releases lmao. Glad to read you people like what you are seeing and that it seems to be cool and fun.

That said I was expecting average graphics on the technical side, which I don't mind at all as long as it gets carried by the art direction, which is something it absolutely will. From has always been able to make great atmospheric environments with the worst available tech even since Kings Field, so yeah, not worried here.

And yes, I can sort of forgive the average technical aspect just because it's Fromsoft. Their games are 100% my jam (dark medieval fantasy with challenging combat) and they are the only ones doing it right, so yeah, keep doing your thing From.

Refrain from posting? What the fuck is this shit? What a fucking asshole.

You’re the one embarrassing yourself by expecting this to look like DS remake which was built to be a graphical showcase for a next-gen console. Go fuck yourself.

And maybe don’t initiate any replies with calling any poster “fucking stupid” because you disagree with them. Kitchen is too hot? You never played a fucking souls game and have 0 clue about makes these games loved.

GAF can ban me as much as they like but I have to tell you to go fuck yourself again (try it with RTX ON, could be a prettier fuck).
Sorry but you are wrong, you starting using vulgar language and now you even swear. Calm down, you are being ugly and disgusting to someone because he finds this game boring and unattractive.

dorkimoe

Who is gonna teach me this game? I didn’t understand any of the mechanics in demon souls or whatever that ps5 game was. I got stuck in some room and had no idea what anything meant

I don’t want another returnal deal where I have some no save mechanic

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Visually it's not breathtaking, but FROM's art direction is unmistakable. Plus, there's more vegetation than ever seen before in a FROM game, methinks.

As for the A.I. of the enemies, I do not doubt FROM at all. They know their stuff better than anyone else.

4 more weeks.

Nickolaidas

Who is gonna teach me this game? I didn’t understand any of the mechanics in demon souls or whatever that ps5 game was. I got stuck in some room and had no idea what anything meant

The mechanics are simple. Exploiting them to make the character you want to make is another story.

Souls games are all about understanding your enemy's attack pattern and finding an opening, really.

Make sure your character isn't over-encumbered in order to get invincibility frames from your dodge roll.

Upgrade your weapons with ores in order to do more damage and be able to kill your enemies with a long combo before they can retaliate.

S0ULZB0URNE

Yeah telling me to go jerk off to a tech demo when I replied to your post and gave reasons for why the other poster was saying this game is underwhelming is uncalled for. And just by the way I would jerk off to Matrix demo if I could play it but I own a gaming PC and none of the new consoles so that's a pleasure I have yet to indulge in until Epic decides to make it available on PC.

I said 'don't be fucking stupid' in my post yes because what Phunkydiabetic Phunkydiabetic posted wasn't rocket science or at all difficult to understand and you were very dismissing in your response to his post.
Seems going by your recent posts regarding this game that anyone who isn't gushing about the game is a hater or some childish nonsense like that.
Again its very simple mate. If you don't like or can't handle the opinions or comments of others in a thread then stay out of the thread.

The game looks below par graphically in regards to most cross gen games. There's nothing wrong with pointing that out but it seems in this thread that opinion has struck a few nerves.
It does in some areas look below par compared to some cross gen games but none of them are the scope of Elden Ring plus visual enhancements should be coming including Ray Tracing.

Ulysses 31

Jesus Christ, can't this engine render the most basic shadow? The art is excellent, but I haven't seen an AAA game with such poor tech in a long time.

Bluepoint Games should start working on the remaster already.
Does look like they forgot to turn on shadow mapping on that area, now it looks like light is shining on the castle in a 90 degree angle from above.

Loope

From someone that also likes Ubisoft games, especially AC ( i know i know), one of the best looking games ever, for me, is AC:Unity and it has some areas that are not as good which is normal, but Ubisoft like From have good art direction. They focus on different things, but they both have good art direction.

Hugare

Dark Souls 4 looking good

But seriously looks like DS and Booodborne had a baby, and thats fine

People asking for enemies that can take more than 3 hits ... You guys know that this is an open world game, right?

Imagine every enemy being a bitch to kill in an open world game. It would feel like work in no time.

These games should be right up your alley, then. Everything you do gets saved the second it happens, but there is no load mechanic. So it's pretty much the exact opposite of that.

Last edited:
People complain about being pulverized by mobs. This is the answer to that with an added coup de grâce. I love the way that big archer is taken down. This game seems to be the answer.

Big archer is not sneak, it's completely different. What I meant is the crouching and suddenly every enemy is pseudo blind and you can one shot them from behind. It worked it Sekiro but I have my doubts here, we'll have to wait and see.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Have the same vibe.. unfortunately it throws me off the game tbh

I kinda think the issue most people had with DS2 was the tuning of the combat and encounters which are most likely going to be very different in Elden Ring. Whereas what struck me was the overall world design and variety of locations which are definitely among my favourites in the series.

I get that the "signature" environments of every Souls' title are the classic medieval fortress/towns because they tend to be the most intricate and inter-connected, but I really enjoyed the sprawl of DS2 because it felt more organic and less planned out. More like a real world than say DS3, which felt way too theme-parky to me.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I'm sorry I'm finding it really hard to get excited over something that looks like this...

Screenshot-20220128-185506-You-Tube.jpg

Like what is this. Everything is so flat and lifeless looking. No shadows. The enemy right there took as much skill to kill as turning a doorknob. I really feel like I'm missing something here. Miyazaki's latest interview stating it's the easiest "souls" game seems to be true since all the videos ive seen show enemies being defested in like three hits. And who knows, I'm not considering From Software's pedigree but damn son, this just does not look impressive at all.
Yep. Straight up this is embarrassing from a AAA title in 2022. Shit looks like a early 2013 game on PS4 base.

I dont know how people think this is good enough, even if youre a gameplay first kinda gamer, this is next level bad. But of course, it FROM, so no one says anything and the media still gives it 9s and 10s.

I dont know how the fuck they can see the Demons Souls PS5 remake and not feel embarrassed releasing ... this.

Holy shit at doubters here, what weird alternative reality, but not surprising with neogaf’s score on predictions of success or scores.

BAM, GOTY

Bro what? What is so hype about that, is there some type of context we're not getting from seeing a small gif? Is there a build up to that fight that makes it more hype?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I’m hoping my 2080ti can max this out at 60fps.
It's a PS4 game, so unless FROM really fucks up with the port (which I doubt since DS3 and Sekiro ran pretty well), you should be fine.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Reminds me of Dark Souls 2 a lot. Which is a good thing in my book.
I went and played Dark Souls 2 recently just to see if the community event was still going on. One thing that really stands out is stagger. The character in Elden Ring hit him out of his jumping animation. In Dark Souls 2 you feel like you got hit by a feather with high enough poise. Attacking enemies felt like you just slightly staggered the enemy. This Elden Ring footage shows a lot more impact from staggering with weapons.
Big archer is not sneak, it's completely different. What I meant is the crouching and suddenly every enemy is pseudo blind and you can one shot them from behind. It worked it Sekiro but I have my doubts here, we'll have to wait and see.
I just meant I liked the archer kill, but I get your point. I don’t think it’ll be like that. I didn’t get in the NT for ER, but I also realize I couldn’t sneak with some enemies in Sekiro. I remember a spear enemy hunting me down. Elden Ring seems to have a lot of options. One thing that I try to ignore is over thinking it. I think there will be enough there to have a well thought out combat experience.

Last edited:
Yep. Straight up this is embarrassing from a AAA title in 2022. Shit looks like a early 2013 game on PS4 base.

I dont know how people think this is good enough, even if youre a gameplay first kinda gamer, this is next level bad. But of course, it FROM, so no one says anything and the media still gives it 9s and 10s.

I dont know how the fuck they can see the Demons Souls PS5 remake and not feel embarrassed releasing ... this.

Bro what? What is so hype about that, is there some type of context we're not getting from seeing a small gif? Is there a build up to that fight that makes it more hype?

Yeah I don't understand it either. It's a big awkwardly animated lion thing sliding and bouncing off objects in the environment. It looks like it has the mass of a Styrofoam block. Beyond the hilariously dated graphics and typical multiple generations behind Japanese design it just looks like it plays so easy. Even in videos of previous dark souls games you could get the idea of how difficult the games were. This just looks silly.

Buggy Loop

It’s really simple, game informer guy who wrote the article, will review the game, and was streaming on twitch (part of what you are seeing), question came up for spoiler free impressions and he is saying this is the most hyped he’s ever been for a game in his entire life/career. It’s his impressions so far from having played exclusive content that we haven’t seen.

I think it’s pretty simple to understand?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

If UBI games looked like this and had the same amount of care to the world they would score higher than they do and they don't really score that bad (and this is from someone whose Playstation year in review was ALL Ubi-OpenWorld).

FS has never been on the graphical fidelity forefront. They have excellent world and character designs and compelling gameplay. . .the graphics engine is meant to be just good enough to not get in the way of that. From what I can see of Elden Ring, this trend has not stopped. Would it be cool if this engine was as good as a Death Stranding or Forbidden West. . .sure. Does it need to be? No.

Dr_Salt

Yeah I don't understand it either. It's a big awkwardly animated lion thing sliding and bouncing off objects in the environment. It looks like it has the mass of a Styrofoam block. Beyond the hilariously dated graphics and typical multiple generations behind Japanese design it just looks like it plays so easy. Even in videos of previous dark souls games you could get the idea of how difficult the games were. This just looks silly.
Honest question, have you ever played or beat a FROM game?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

The game constantly saves. Or rather all FS Soulslike games do. You can quit the game anytime and load it up right back where you left it.

. . .although if you didn't like DS's, I can not see you engaging with this at all. It's the same design philosophy (even if DS: Remake was made by another studio).

skneogaf

You got stuck in a room in Demon's Souls?

You sound like you need to follow a guide for from software games.

I would look up and I think its called fextralife for these games or watch somebody play the game as once you understand how these games work, you understand they all use the same things to upgrade your character and progress through the games.

dorkimoe

You got stuck in a room in Demon's Souls?

You sound like you need to follow a guide for from software games.

I would look up and I think its called fextralife for these games or watch somebody play the game as once you understand how these games work, you understand they all use the same things to upgrade your character and progress through the games.
Can do. I died and couldn’t figure out what the point of the room was when I died. Lol was embarrassing yes.

dorkimoe

The game constantly saves. Or rather all FS Soulslike games do. You can quit the game anytime and load it up right back where you left it.

. . .although if you didn't like DS's, I can not see you engaging with this at all. It's the same design philosophy (even if DS: Remake was made by another studio).
It wasn’t that I didn’t like it. I liked the world and everything just didn’t understand what to do

Top Bottom