• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Elden Ring Gameplay - Exploring Castle Mourne

DonF

Shadowgate.
For real, there are shadows when outside, no shadows when indoors. It's weird cause if you go right next to a torch, the character should cast a shadow.

Still, the game looks like the next step in the formula, I hope it's great!

Buggy Loop

It looks worse than DS but it's open world which makes a huge difference, so I'm okay with it.

For a non level based souls, it’s by far the best looking. When they’re bringing ray tracing on PC, then I think it won’t even be a question.
la51eqq7qie81.jpg

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'm looking at 41 page Game Informer article PDF right now with a ton of new info. Not gonna make a thread as I'm not sure it's allowed but PM me if you want it.

and I quote "Elden Ring may turn out to be FROM Soft's best game, and an incredible triumph beyond measure."

Last edited:
Looks like medieval architecture in a dark-fantasy setting during a cloudy day. What is it with these lifeless/sterile complaints? You want a tropical beach with palm trees and garish rainbows coming out of a horse’s anus?
Angry Tv Land GIF by Teachers on TV Land
Don't be fucking stupid.

He's not asking for a change of scenery but questioning why the graphics is so flat. In 2022 and 1 year into next gen should one not be expecting more than these visuals which wouldn't look out of place at the start of last gen on a base PS4?

I'm aware souls games are more about gameplay but fuck me if we still getting these types of visuals on next gen consoles and PC.

I_D

Yeah I mentioned the brain dead enemies shown off thus far in videos and streams. Enemies that take a few hits with very little technique required to defeat.

I agree with you, entirely.
This has been a problem for more than a decade: The Souls games are laughably easy.

The enemy AI in the Souls games is, unquestionably, the worst part of the whole series. They just stand there and swing wildly. There's basically no skill involved whatsoever.
And even when they don't stand and swing wildly, you can still just kite them into various positions so that you can easily 'cheese' them.
To be honest, the games are kinda-sorta, pathetically beatable.

And yet, the series is known for being incredibly difficult. I don't even know what to make of that. I guess a lot of players are just stupid?

These games are downright easy, if not relaxing. That's why I like them so much. If they were hard, I probably wouldn't play them.
Devil May Cry is WAY more difficult than these games. God of War is WAY more difficult than these games. Ninja Gaiden is basically unbeatable compared to these games.

I'm right there with you. I wish these games had a bit more challenge to them.
Mind you, I still love them for their level-design, but would it really be that much to ask for the enemies to be a bit more difficult?
I just want a good mixture of challenge and good design. As it currently stands, we have excellent design, but laughably easy gameplay.

And people have the gall to complain about Sekiro, even though it was the easiest one in the whole series. If you get in trouble, you can literally just long-shot yourself away from the enemies. Where's the challenge in that???
And even without Sekiro in the equation, people still complain that Souls games are difficult. I mean, how pathetic can you be???

Unfortunately, it looks like Elden Ring is just going to be more of the same: Enemies who are incredibly easy to kill, but average players still suck.
I know; I know... it's a shame.

But that's the state of the gaming industry nowadays. They have to cater to the lowest-common-denominator.
FROM is no different. It's quite obvious that Elden Ring is going to be even more easy than their previous games, which were already super easy to beat.

I'm not a fan of it, myself. Hopefully others join me in my boycott.

Jesus Christ, can't this engine render the most basic shadow? The art is excellent, but I haven't seen an AAA game with such poor tech in a long time.

Bluepoint Games should start working on the remaster already.
I swear half the people in this thread claiming visuals looking great must be fucking blind.

They couldn't at least get this level of visuals??!!

EmivS2GWEAAZkTQ

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Jesus Christ, can't this engine render the most basic shadow? The art is excellent, but I haven't seen an AAA game with such poor tech in a long time.

Bluepoint Games should start working on the remaster already.

Yes. Obviously. Do you honestly think they REMOVED features from their engine for their next project? Like, there are several hundred hours of video of people running through the game that show off what the game is and isn't doing graphically.

Tschumi

I think you guys mostly talking about from tech perspective because I personally did not liked what Bluepoint did with Demons Souls art direction. I honestly find Elden Ring’s visuals much more attractive compared to DeS remake.
I am talking from a purely comparative standpoint, how weathered the ruined castle debris looks etc etc, not making qualitative estimations...

... That said, the two games look so similar i fail to see how either would look markedly better or worse from a design standpoint... Seems like a somewhat negative stretch

One thing I'll say though is i love the enemy designs... Giants, hobgoblins with huge shaggy heads, very spooky

Wish grass deformed v_v

Last edited:

Zoanoid33

You can literally make Souls games as easy or hard as you want. If you want easy you can farm levels, summon people, use projectiles or find cheese strats. If you want it harder you can handicap yourself in many ways from your levels, armor, weapons, pvp and NG+

I hope the game has awesome areas for pvp battles and I hope it is decently balanced between weapons and magic. I am intrigued to see how pvp is with players on horseback as well.

Buggy Loop

I'm looking at 41 page Game Informer article PDF right now with a ton of new info. Not gonna make a thread as I'm not sure it's allowed but PM me if you want it.

and I quote "Elden Ring may turn out to be FROM Soft's best game, and an incredible triumph beyond measure."

One of the screenshot with the magic spell that has a sun like orb of fire is so goddamn good, I’m magic build 100% certain after seeing that. Looks bonkers how it lights up.

Also GI’a description of a huge place underneath the land with multiple entries, and the eternal city , oh my.

Batiman

Banned
This has been a problem for more than a decade: The Souls games are laughably easy.

The enemy AI in the Souls games is, unquestionably, the worst part of the whole series. They just stand there and swing wildly. There's basically no skill involved whatsoever.
And even when they don't stand and swing wildly, you can still just kite them into various positions so that you can easily 'cheese' them.

And yet, the series is known for being incredibly difficult. I don't even know what to make of that. I guess a lot of players are just stupid?

These games are downright easy, if not relaxing. That's why I like them so much. If they were hard, I probably wouldn't play them.
Devil May Cry is WAY more difficult than these games. God of War is WAY more difficult than these games. Ninja Gaiden is basically unbeatable compared to these games.

Mind you, I still love them for their level-design, but would it really be that much to ask for the enemies to be a bit more difficult?
I just want a good mixture of challenge and good design. As it currently stands, we have excellent design, but laughably easy gameplay.

And people have the gall to complain about Sekiro, even though it was the easiest one in the whole series. If you get in trouble, you can literally just long-shot yourself away from the enemies. Where's the challenge in that???
And even without Sekiro in the equation, people still complain that Souls games are difficult. I mean, how pathetic can you be???

Unfortunately, it looks like Elden Ring is just going to be more of the same: Enemies who are incredibly easy to kill, but average players still suck.

But that's the state of the gaming industry nowadays. They have to cater to the lowest-common-denominator.
FROM is no different. It's quite obvious that Elden Ring is going to be even more easy than their previous games, which were already super easy to beat.

Joke?

Last edited:

Tschumi

There aughta be a law against this kind of bareassed signalling

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
The enemy designs do look great but I’m hoping it takes more than 3 hits to take out most enemies.

Just gonna assume the guy was wielding some end game axe or something?
Yep I want some difficulty on this.

The guy in your avy died a few days ago of a tragic skiing accident btw. Very sad.

I dunno people are giving the graphics shit but they really know how to give a videogame atmosphere imo - the same way rockstar does with LA and NY - they just capture a vibe that’s really cool

NikuNashi

It isn't gonna win any beauty contests that's for sure. It looks like shit but aslong as it's 60fps locked on PS5 and the gameplay is awesome I'm there day 1.

Tschumi

Yep I want some difficulty on this.

The guy in your avy died a few days ago of a tragic skiing accident btw. Very sad.
I dunno, trash mobs always die in two or three solid hits in these games, and that axe looks like a heavy-hitting, energy-burning kind of weapon.. there's a clear edit in the fight against the giant that shows they the bulk of the fight was cut out.. yeah, i don't see much evidence that this is going to be easy.. i think the "easy" part is going to be the capacity for players to run away from tough fights

Vaelka

The Souls franchise is one of my favorite there is and I am really hyped.
With that said I am a tad disappointed about so much of the animations being the same ( like when you strike the giants '' heart '' when it's lying down ).
Just the way the character moves and a lot of the finishing and attack moves etc, it'd be cool if they actually updated them too...

I mean it's a Souls game, it's one of the few series where I'll blindly buy it on day 1 because I do trust it's going to be good.
But I also think it's fair to criticize some things.
I mean even tho I am looking forward to it I still think there's a lot of hyperbolic extreme fanboyism going on, remember that the other Souls games were flawed too it didn't stop them from being incredible.
DS1 in particular is VERY flawed.

Edit: 60 FPS lock is another major disappointment, it's just not smooth to play.
It's playable unlike 30 FPS but it's noticeably choppy imo and does negatively impact my experience.

I also feel like a lot of the gear design is pretty uninspired but I mean we haven't seen most of it so I hope it gets better.

Good traversal it seems. We don’t need realism, we need to get to places fast.

It's funny when people pretend like these games are realistic or make sense, yes that enormous sword twice the size of my character makes perfect sense /s.
It's also a bit strange to wear armor if you're going to be dodging everything anyways lol ( especially when most things would kill you armor or not, and armor is still restrictive and tires you out faster people used to die from dehydration and heat exhaustion all the time because of armor ).

Last edited:

Vaelka

Looks like medieval architecture in a dark-fantasy setting during a cloudy day. What is it with these lifeless/sterile complaints? You want a tropical beach with palm trees and garish rainbows coming out of a horse’s anus?
Angry Tv Land GIF by Teachers on TV Land
As opposed to what Hollywood and a lot of video games want you to believe.
The medieval ages wasn't all grey and there was some very complex and impressive architecture ( especially take a look at churches and cathedrals ).

People also very rarely wore black it was actually a pretty expensive color.
Most people wore VERY colorful clothing.
The Souls games are definitely way too black and grey it's a completely fantasy depiction meant to be '' edgy and dark ''.

I think it's fair to say that the depiction we get of the medieval ages is kinda '' lifeless/ sterile '' compared to the actual thing historically.

Last edited:

Sygma

Played demon's souls, sekiro and bb and this looks like an empty borefest more than anything. Maximilian dood's stream was entertaining when he tried the beta but it looked kinda generic to play

Strange to think that strangers of paradise look somehow way more repetitive in terms of core gameplay yet way more fun than this

tommib

As opposed to what Hollywood and a lot of video games want you to believe.
The medieval ages wasn't all grey and there was some very complex and impressive architecture ( especially take a look at churches and cathedrals ).

People also very rarely wore black it was actually a pretty expensive color.
Most people wore VERY colorful clothing.
The Souls games are definitely way too black and grey it's a completely fantasy depiction meant to be '' edgy and dark ''.

I think it's fair to say that the depiction we get of the medieval ages is kinda '' lifeless/ sterile '' compared to the actual thing historically.
You write all of this I don’t think there’s any other developer that has showed medieval architecture with more respect or beauty than From Software. Anor Londo as an example which mixes medieval with neo-gothic. There’s always beauty and colour in From’s games. Look at their NPCs. Your post makes zero sense in my view.

Tschumi

I just decided I'm going to remake the Shinobi in ER.. i wonder if it has much of the sekiro combat style in it..

Last edited:

tommib

Don't be fucking stupid.

He's not asking for a change of scenery but questioning why the graphics is so flat. In 2022 and 1 year into next gen should one not be expecting more than these visuals which wouldn't look out of place at the start of last gen on a base PS4?

I'm aware souls games are more about gameplay but fuck me if we still getting these types of visuals on next gen consoles and PC.
Go jerk off to the matrix demo or whatever ray-tracing benchmark you have on your desktop. Leave us intellectualls to savour a fine meal by ourselves.

I'm sorry I'm finding it really hard to get excited over something that looks like this...

Screenshot-20220128-185506-You-Tube.jpg

Like what is this. Everything is so flat and lifeless looking. No shadows. The enemy right there took as much skill to kill as turning a doorknob. I really feel like I'm missing something here. Miyazaki's latest interview stating it's the easiest "souls" game seems to be true since all the videos ive seen show enemies being defested in like three hits. And who knows, I'm not considering From Software's pedigree but damn son, this just does not look impressive at all.
Its the curse of cross-gen, man...

nani17

are in a big trouble
Not every game has to be graphical stunning for me but I do understand what some are saying in here . Also kind of looks well like I've seen it before . Ctrl C Ctrl V which is funny because when anyone else's does it instant hate 🤣🤣.

Does it mean I won't be getting this game eh absolutely fucking not I'll still get it.

Not every game has to be graphical stunning for me but I do understand what some are saying in here . Also kind of looks well like I've seen it before . Ctrl C Ctrl V which is funny because when anyone else's does it instant hate 🤣🤣.

Does it mean I won't be getting this game eh absolutely fucking not I'll still get it.
It is re-used assets from previous games.

Go jerk off to the matrix demo or whatever ray-tracing benchmark you have on your desktop. Leave us intellectualls to savour a fine meal by ourselves.
You just continue to embarrass yourself going by your post history regarding this game. This is a forum mate and others will offer their opinions. If you're finding it too hot in the kitchen and can't control yourself kindly GTFO or refrain from posting. It really is that simple

C'mon now, it's a cross gen game.
You can't make a next gen looking game on a piece of hardware from 2013.

If anything, raise your graphics expectations for when they actually develop a next gen only game.
yeah its cross gen but so is Horizon Forbidden West, Halo and Forza Horizon 5 and they look noticably better on next gen consoles and PC.

I don't get it. No one is criticizing the game here. All some are asking is for better visuals on par with other games on more powerful hardware. We already know the game will be great to play so no one is going on about that department going by the pedigree of this studio.

As for an actual next gen exclusive From game? We'll see how that pans out.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm sorry I'm finding it really hard to get excited over something that looks like this...

Screenshot-20220128-185506-You-Tube.jpg

Like what is this. Everything is so flat and lifeless looking. No shadows. The enemy right there took as much skill to kill as turning a doorknob. I really feel like I'm missing something here. Miyazaki's latest interview stating it's the easiest "souls" game seems to be true since all the videos ive seen show enemies being defested in like three hits. And who knows, I'm not considering From Software's pedigree but damn son, this just does not look impressive at all.

grabbed the drabbist 2 second shot in the entire video, like it. Also, it’s a medieval castle…what do you expect?

the game looks incredible, and there were plenty of areas with much better graphics than what you have highlighted. Awesome fire and smoke effects.

this will probably be game of the year, for some reason that may hurt you….praise the sun.

Exentryk

The art-style is so dull. Combat also feels boring in that first video. The traversal also seems tedious inside the castle/dungeon (though I do like you can jump from heights on the horse).

Is it wrong that I was thinking Assassin's Creed looks more fun to play?

tommib

It is re-used assets from previous games.

You just continue to embarrass yourself going by your post history regarding this game. This is a forum mate and others will offer their opinions. If you're finding it too hot in the kitchen and can't control yourself kindly GTFO or refrain from posting. It really is that simple
Refrain from posting? What the fuck is this shit? What a fucking asshole.

You’re the one embarrassing yourself by expecting this to look like DS remake which was built to be a graphical showcase for a next-gen console. Go fuck yourself.

And maybe don’t initiate any replies with calling any poster “fucking stupid” because you disagree with them. Kitchen is too hot? You never played a fucking souls game and have 0 clue about makes these games loved.

GAF can ban me as much as they like but I have to tell you to go fuck yourself again (try it with RTX ON, could be a prettier fuck).

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

lwUhGF3.gif

Top Bottom