• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Elden Ring Gameplay - Exploring Castle Mourne

The guy I was responding to said it was unique, was wondering how. But you guys confirming it isn't really and its kinda repetitive and grindy like a lot other games?
It's as grindy and repetitive as you want it to be. The worse you are at the game, the more limited your movement, equipment and attack options, and the more you'll have to grind to make progress. The better you get, the less any of that stuff matters. The best players can beat these games at level 1.

Nickolaidas

I'm already bored from the footage
I remember the first time I saw the first gameplay trailer for Demon's Souls. At the TGS, it was stage 1-1, castle Boletaria.

I saw the player character dispatch some dreglings in a castle, and crush furniture.

I thought to myself, 'oh my God, this looks so fucking plain and boring', and was so bummed seeing how the gameplay looked compared to the reveal trailer who thought it was magnificent.

Then I read the IGN review and said, 'hey, it sounds like it's ok after all'. And bought it.

And holy fucking shit.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Notabueno

Banned
I remember the first time I saw the first gameplay trailer for Demon's Souls. At the TGS, it was stage 1-1, castle Boletaria.

I saw the player character dispatch some dreglings in a castle, and crush furniture.

I thought to myself, 'oh my God, this looks so fucking plain and boring', and was so bummed seeing how the gameplay looked compared to the reveal trailer who thought it was magnificent.

Then I read the IGN review and said, 'hey, it sounds like it's ok after all'. And bought it.

And holy fucking shit.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Yeah I have to get into, that's the feeling I get from afar, but always hated what I heard about it's core formula of being annoyingly hard just because the first one was badly balanced, before it actually became a formula.

But I know the design and experience is worth it given what I saw and the others things I heard.

Buggy Loop

From game crazy amount of enemy and boss fights with their own unique attack pattern, so if find it “repetitive” then so is 99% of all games.

If it was so repetitive, i wouldn’t be dying so goddamn much at every damn “souls” games they release.

How about some of the best dark fantasy designs coupled with the best OSTs in the whole industry?

It’s literally the gaming spiritual successor to Berserk, a manga I started reading in the 90’s and sadly never got enough of until Kentaro Miura passed away before finishing his magnum opus.

Emedan

I dunno, trash mobs always die in two or three solid hits in these games, and that axe looks like a heavy-hitting, energy-burning kind of weapon.. there's a clear edit in the fight against the giant that shows they the bulk of the fight was cut out.. yeah, i don't see much evidence that this is going to be easy.. i think the "easy" part is going to be the capacity for players to run away from tough fights
Not only trash mobs, it depends on how well you've upgraded your weapon and your souls level, a Dark Knight in DS1 could easily be beaten using a three hit combo with a Claymore.

To the graphics, it's a cross gen game get a grip people. It's definitively a recognizable From Software game though, it's not really any different than any other Soulsborne games but that's the type of game we enjoy - would be interesting to see what a completely different type of game from them would look like.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yeah I have to get into, that's the feeling I get from afar, but always hated what I heard about it's core formula of being annoyingly hard just because the first one was badly balanced, before it actually became a formula.

So basically you've formed an opinion based on "meme" articles from back in the day and used that as a jumping point for "I'm bored from the footage. . ."

. . .and Demon's Souls wasn't "badly balanced" and subsequent games are not "annoyingly hard." The mechanics are all there for people with patience to be successful (I admit SEKIRO was the only one I had no interest in getting better at after what I imagine most people consider the 'gut check' boss in the game). The loudest people who whine about the difficulty of Soulslike tend to be people who are uninterested in engaging with the games systems.

Notabueno

Banned
So basically you've formed an opinion based on "meme" articles from back in the day and used that as a jumping point for "I'm bored from the footage. . ."

. . .and Demon's Souls wasn't "badly balanced" and subsequent games are not "annoyingly hard." The mechanics are all there for people with patience to be successful (I admit SEKIRO was the only one I had no interest in getting better at after what I imagine most people consider the 'gut check' boss in the game). The loudest people who whine about the difficulty of Soulslike tend to be people who are uninterested in engaging with the games systems.

That's part of my job, prospective. Yes I can tell from the little I tried Dark Souls, then what I saw and heard, that the difficulty goes against basic game design but with an interesting retrieval system that mitigated it, for people with no life thus for whom repetitive overly difficult and unnecessary, unbalanced and punitive combat, is what they call a "challenge" they're proud off.

But I also saw the tactical, puzzle aspect of the combats, with very well designed, varied and interesting/spooky ennemies and overall ambiance/experience. So I'll probably end-up biting with Elden Rings or Demon Soul's if it comes to PC, but with a 15k backlog of amazingly fun and as tactical hack&slash, adventure or straight puzzle games (or even FPS-puzzle and slash like Doom, BPM etc...), I don't give a shit about an overly arduous and punitive game you have the repeat the combats of and loot if you lose it, it's not the 90s anymore (and they had excuses).

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
for people with no life thus for whom repetitive overly difficult and unnecessary, unbalanced and punitive combat, is what they call a "challenge" they're proud off.
So you are just assuming, most people who play FROM just normal people with jobs and family and still enjoying the game.

Just because you personally get frustrated easily don’t assume other people are like you.

Frustrated = game is unbalanced….seriously?

Last edited:

Boneless

That's part of my job, prospective. Yes I can tell from the little I tried Dark Souls, then what I saw and heard, that the difficulty goes against basic game design but with an interesting retrieval system that mitigated it, for people with no life thus for whom repetitive overly difficult and unnecessary, unbalanced and punitive combat, is what they call a "challenge" they're proud off.

But I also saw the tactical, puzzle aspect of the combats, with very well designed, varied and interesting/spooky ennemies and overall ambiance/experience. So I'll probably end-up biting with Elden Rings or Demon Soul's if it comes to PC, but with a 15k backlog of amazingly fun and as tactical hack&slash, adventure or straight puzzle games (or even FPS-puzzle and slash like Doom, BPM, Shadow Warrior 3 etc...), I don't give a shit about an overly arduous and punitive game you have the repeat the combats of and loot if you lose it, it's not the 90s anymore (and they had excuses).
Nick Offerman Shade GIF

Buggy Loop

New footage from Game Informer. Most interesting is the really cool looking elevator ride, that i believe he hints from his cover story that goes to the Eternal city underground. The bear can fuck you up it seems.

I just can't get enough Elden Ring, i check new media like 50 times a day. Send hlep

Danjin44

no-looking-not-looking.gif

We are so close to release date, I dont need to see anymore of this game I'm already sold, I didn't even watch any of gameinformer's new footages.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

We are so close to release date, I dont need to see anymore of this game I'm already sold, I didn't even watch any of gameinformer's new footages.
That’s why I haven’t checked out the new footage today. Everything looks amazing and adding more to it just makes the wait feel longer. Now back to planning when to charge controllers and headsets.

WoodyStare

Same here, I haven’t watched any footage since the trailer they released last summer. It’s so tempting to watch all of the videos recently, but I refuse. Give me this fucking game already.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Big archer is not sneak, it's completely different. What I meant is the crouching and suddenly every enemy is pseudo blind and you can one shot them from behind. It worked it Sekiro but I have my doubts here, we'll have to wait and see.
Good. As it should be. Sometimes I just want to be left alone.

Dr_Salt

But I also saw the tactical, puzzle aspect of the combats, with very well designed, varied and interesting/spooky ennemies and overall ambiance/experience. So I'll probably end-up biting with Elden Rings or Demon Soul's if it comes to PC, but with a 15k backlog of amazingly fun and as tactical hack&slash, adventure or straight puzzle games (or even FPS-puzzle and slash like Doom, BPM etc...), I don't give a shit about an overly arduous and punitive game you have the repeat the combats of and loot if you lose it, it's not the 90s anymore (and they had excuses).
Darksouls ain't that hard man, you just suck.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The difficulty doesn't go against "basic game design". That literally doesn't mean anything anyway. You don't need "no life" to enjoy the game, nor to even finish it. The combat isn't difficult, repetitive, or unbalanced. Sounds like you died a few times, blamed the game instead of yourself and refused to learn from your mistakes.

Sounds like you want a game that offers zero challenge or punishes you for your mistakes. You want your hand to be held throughout the adventure and told that you are "doing well!" when in reality you barely understand how the game functions.

Danjin44

The difficulty doesn't go against "basic game design". That literally doesn't mean anything anyway. You don't need "no life" to enjoy the game, nor to even finish it. The combat isn't difficult, repetitive, or unbalanced. Sounds like you died a few times, blamed the game instead of yourself and refused to learn from your mistakes.
I feel like most gamers become very oversensitive, little push back from the game and then suddenly it’s unbalanced and cheap for some reason.

What I don’t understand is this whole “for people with no life” comment. Soul series barely has learning curves especially compare to fighting games and even Monster Hunter series. The entire “difficulty” of Souls games comes from the fact they punish your mistakes….that’s really all there is to it, there is no combo or mechanic you need to master.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Even with its trial and error rewarding gameplay, the games are not too long compared to any other RPG, so not sure why you have to have no life. All these games require is patience. Don't run into or past too many enemies unless you're an expert speedrunner, pull some enemies with ranged attacks, read messages and summon help if you want an easy mode. Soft ass gamers these days lol, I'm old af and grew up with Punchout, Contra, and TMNT. Dark Souls is a breeze compared to those games IMO.

Notabueno

Banned
Even with its trial and error rewarding gameplay, the games are not too long compared to any other RPG, so not sure why you have to have no life. All these games require is patience. Don't run into or past too many enemies unless you're an expert speedrunner, pull some enemies with ranged attacks, read messages and summon help if you want an easy mode. Soft ass gamers these days lol, I'm old af and grew up with Punchout, Contra, and TMNT. Dark Souls is a breeze compared to those games IMO.

Yeah I grew out with those games too, and they weren't badly designed unlike Soulsborne games.

Notabueno

Banned
I feel like most gamers become very oversensitive, little push back from the game and then suddenly it’s unbalanced and cheap for some reason.

What I don’t understand is this whole “for people with no life” comment. Soul series barely has learning curves especially compare to fighting games and even Monster Hunter series. The entire “difficulty” of Souls games comes from the fact they punish your mistakes….that’s really all there is to it, there is no combo or mechanic you need to master.

The "no life" is because people who have a rich life with enough challenges as is, don't take pride in beating a badly balanced game of which the only challenge is indeed that there are no combo, mechanics or metas because it's badly designed, nor do they need a punitive game with no fun as a reward.

Danjin44

The "no life" is because people who have a rich life with enough challenges as is, don't take pride in beating a badly balanced game of which the only challenge is indeed that there are no combo, mechanics or metas because it's badly designed, nor do they need a punitive game with no fun as a reward.
"badly balanced" according to who? To you? Just because you got too frustrated with game it doesn't mean is badly designed.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
N Notabueno you sound like you got killed by a buncha hollows and never learned to play properly. Those game's aren't unbalanced at all, and you sticking to that argument really shows.

I also find funny how people who's bad at those games always end up throwing the "no life" argument against people who dude. Dude I got a job, friends and family (no children thank God) and I've beaten all those games.

If I were you I'd try forgetting about any shitty takes you might have read on the internet about balance, unfairnes and so, and tey giving the game a second chance. You are missing out.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
God I wish this game would release early February.

The wait is unbearable!!!
SizzlingOrangeAmericanmarten-max-1mb.gif
I'm reaching Nombember the 1st SMT V levels of hype. Game's almost here, but yet it looks so far away.

Unhealthy shit for sure, but man, they wait'll be worth it.

Danjin44

I'm reaching Nombember the 1st SMT V levels of hype. Game's almost here, but yet it looks so far away.

Unhealthy shit for sure, but man, they wait'll be worth it.
Lets hope THIS TIME I get my copy in time.
conan-rage.gif

Nice gaslighting, it's not like it's the most famous trope and popular topic regarding soulsborne when they come up.
I'm not most highly skill player out there but I was able to play and beat the game just fine, maybe just maybe stop blaming the game every time you get too frustrated.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

You are projecting an awful lot and making a lot of assumptions for a game you clearly have shown you are horribly ignorant of.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Nice gaslighting, it's not like it's the most famous trope and popular topic regarding soulsborne when they come up.

You are intentionally misrepresenting this "trope" or at minimum what people are describing. Soulslike threads in anticipation of a new game are absolutely filled with "I can't wait to get wrecked" or preview articles talking about the "brutality" or "punishing nature" of a Soulslike. Nowhere in the standard comments though should you get the sense that people are excited to play a game that is "unfair" or "broken" unless you're trying to be dishonest: people know that Soulslike's can be unforgiving. . .for people who want to just brute force their way through the games. They also know a lot of Soulslikes (especially from Miyazaki) are meant to be figured out, and that in this figuring out you may get frustrated (or that some people will bounce off the game, not wanting to unravel that puzzle). What you are describing is just a wildly dishonest take on peoples interaction with these types of games.

. . .I hate when people dismiss opinions out of hand, but honestly yours is just not correct in the slightest.

Buggy Loop

Fucking hell, I'll die before the release at this rate

7n1wbn7g1of81.jpg

Anyway, interview with Game informer Dan Tack

Many good info and impressions, wanted to keep these ones :

1:27 - "if we take the ten hours i've played and assume the full game is of that quality or higher, then yes, it will handily dethrone Bloodborne (his favorite game of all time)

21:05 - "..Everything we've seen, despite it being a lot, is completely surface level and i cannot wait to get into this game, i..., the Dan predicts on this one is that it's going to be the best thing ever"

27:09 - "This game i think will be the best game of all time, there it is, i really do have that sense, right now"

/metal thud sound

tumblr_inline_ntylp2a8Ex1t3bth9_1280.jpg

Top Bottom