• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Elden Ring Gameplay - Exploring Castle Mourne

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It wasn’t that I didn’t like it. I liked the world and everything just didn’t understand what to do

I haven't played the remake (really need to), but there are definitely some times where I have been confused about what to do in a FS game. If you're saying you got to a deadend of sorts and get murdered by mobs. . .well I mean that's Miyazaki for you. I'm sure everyone in this thread who has played all of MIyazaki's stuff has a "This is complete horseshit" moment (the challenge area in Dark Souls 2 DLC was my "horse" moment, literally):

In the final DLC area for DS2, there is a region that is covered in a snow storm that has you constantly being attacked by horse enemies. It is a desperate fight to reach the end. . .an end that you aren't even sure exists. It does, but the end is a bullshit fight that, if not defeated, sends you right back to the beginning of the map. It is completely superfluous.

I imagine much like the above will be in Elden Ring (at least according to comments from Miyazaki).

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
you know, I was a massive Opeth fan. Right when I explored more progressive music the band changed direction, became a prog rock band and I grew with them into new territory.
Now additional ten years later my once favorite band is still recording the same record for the fifth time and I just grew into other genres and bands. Opeth is not my favorite band anymore. They are still great still but I just moved on.

The same happened with the various Souls games and I. They just don’t fit needs no more.

And the GFX are embarrassing.

Elios83

I definetly expect the game to be amazing. It will be hard to choose which I play first between this and Horizon.
Also I dont see all the drama about the graphics. Yes it's obviously not a huge graphical showcase but it doesn't have to to be great.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Hopefully ultrawide too.

I doubt From will offer it.

Maybe a raytracing hidden setting too before it’s even patched in? Ala Dark souls 2’s hidden lighting mode.

The least Nvidia could do is have it support Nvidia Freestyle's RTSSGI with its game ready driver. For people with performance overhead that will help the lighting immensely.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Yeah I don't understand it either. It's a big awkwardly animated lion thing sliding and bouncing off objects in the environment. It looks like it has the mass of a Styrofoam block. Beyond the hilariously dated graphics and typical multiple generations behind Japanese design it just looks like it plays so easy. Even in videos of previous dark souls games you could get the idea of how difficult the games were. This just looks silly.

A lvl1 character vs Fume Knight in Dark Souls II New Game Plus 7 without using roll, dodge or block.

Looks really easy, doesn't it?

I dare you to play the Fume Knight like that, on NG+7, with a lvl1 character and without using roll or block.

I dare you, I double dare you. Beat him and make it look as easy as that guy does.

And then we'll talk about how easy and silly it looks on video.

A lvl1 character vs Fume Knight in Dark Souls II New Game Plus 7 without using roll, dodge or block.

I dare you to play the Fume Knight like that, on NG+7, with a lvl1 character and without using roll or block.

I dare you, I double dare you. Beat him and make it look as easy as that guy does.

That's not Elden Ring though. I'm talking about how easy Elden Ring looks.

lol, we should create a thread solely for complaining about ER's graphics.
I think it looks pretty good. Is it a graphical showcase? Nope, but I wouldn't expect a crossgen title to be one.
Comparing it to the Demon's remake is particularly crazy as that game was developed solely for the ps5 to take advantage of the hardware.
I'll wait for From's first next gen only title before I jump on the visual hate train.

Now give Bluepoint the Bloodborne remaster dammnit.

Nickolaidas

That's not Elden Ring though. I'm talking about how easy Elden Ring looks.
My point is that a game can LOOK easy, but it actually isn't. Watching the video above would make me think Fume Knight is a joke if I hadn't fought him myself. When he's actually one of the hardest bosses in the DS trilogy. Took me about 40 efforts to take him down when I first played the game, but I never would've guessed it if I watched the video before fighting him.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
well those dark souls "prepare to die" trailers looked fun to me :D
Haha yeah, well they were using the difficulty aspect of the game as a marketing tool, so no wonder they tried to push the difficulty thing in those trailers.

I think they are trying to appeal to a wider segment of people with Elden Ring, so I guess they used an OP character to show the game.

Or eh, maybe it's really easier this time around. Although having played the NT I really doubt it's the case.

Those are all exclusive first party games though.
Halo is on the same graphical level, Forza is a racing game, and Horizon has not yet been released, which means it will look the same as the first one on PS4 (which also looks about the same graphical level)

This is a cross gen game, they can't make more with what they have to work with (2013 APU)
All points noted.

Going to move on and get on with the topic l. Thanks for not ripping my head off.

Buggy Loop

Haha yeah, well they were using the difficulty aspect of the game as a marketing tool, so no wonder they tried to push the difficulty thing in those trailers.

I think they are trying to appeal to a wider segment of people with Elden Ring, so I guess they used an OP character to show the game.

Or eh, maybe it's really easier this time around. Although having played the NT I really doubt it's the case.

I mean even the network tests aren’t indicative of anything, items are placed as to not spoil the release, and it’s being tweaked

It does in some areas look below par compared to some cross gen games but none of them are the scope of Elden Ring plus visual enhancements should be coming including Ray Tracing.
Noted and will reserve final judgment until i played the game.
I just started Dark Souls 3 last night and not doing too badly after reading some member tips in the other forum where someone was complaining about this genre.
Should make starting off Elden Rinf much easier.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

The insane skill and dedication it takes to do stuff like this blows my mind.

NT80

Yep. Straight up this is embarrassing from a AAA title in 2022. Shit looks like a early 2013 game on PS4 base.

I dont know how people think this is good enough, even if youre a gameplay first kinda gamer, this is next level bad. But of course, it FROM, so no one says anything and the media still gives it 9s and 10s.

I dont know how the fuck they can see the Demons Souls PS5 remake and not feel embarrassed releasing ... this.

Bro what? What is so hype about that, is there some type of context we're not getting from seeing a small gif? Is there a build up to that fight that makes it more hype?
It's a last gen game that's been delayed for who knows how long due to COVID. Maybe it was supposed to come out in 2020 since it was first shown in 2019. It's also their first open world game for this series so I wasn't expecting it to look much better than BB, DS3 and Sekiro. It's a bit silly for anyone to compare it to DS remake a visual upgrade of an existing game that's much smaller in scope and exclusive to PS5.

The trailers have been a mixed bag. The game looks rough at times and at other times looks really good to me. The first showcase trailer had some good looking sections.

I'll have much higher expectations when they make an actual current gen game though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Very much just looks like a dark souls 4, their games are very samey.
The Game Informer info said the first zone or biome people saw in the NT is just the beginning area and that each other zone is significantly different. He says that it looks beautiful onward.

Are you saying enemy placement is the same or or the world building? Not all their games have enemies on horseback, crabs, and giants just roaming the landscape. It was pointed out how different the enemy types there were.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Nice video, but it is also something I'm hoping we don't get in Elden Ring: woefully exploitable and obvious attack deadzones (granted he didn't have "Total Direction" over DS2 as he was working on BB). I don't really remember this being a problem in BB or DS3 (those games definitely had their issues though, including brutal enemy autotracking of attacks).

This is dumb as hell for a variety of reasons.

1. Challenge runs are cool but have nothing to do with general difficulty.

2. Someones specific skill doesn't mean they can't criticize a game or can't point out flaws in a game.

3. I'm better than you at every souls game, I've known the guy in this video, and I'm also not super hyped for Elden Ring.

Seriously, some of the defensiveness in this thread is embarrassing, Most of the critisism in this thread has been fair. Most people are not even saying Elden Ring will be a bad game.

Last edited:

Teran

I'm not quite sure what that video is meant to prove. Yes, a player with a lot of experience doing a challenge run makes it look quite effortless, and a lot more easy than it really is, but considering the nature of the challenge, it's obviously a player with a lot of experience.

People are judging Elden Ring's difficulty from watching people going in blind, and these people are just average gamers, not hyper dedicated 0.001% challenge runners who know every inch of the game inside and out. That's not to say that there isn't a lot of stuff we haven't seen, but I don't see why you'd have to do challenge runs to be able to judge gameplay footage, especially when almost all of it is from average gamers, the best test group.

I'm sorry I'm finding it really hard to get excited over something that looks like this...

lfozfeV.gif

Dark Souls 3 on PC looks good naxed and has some Mods.
Yes I see so. I had to do the ultra wide screen and the dual shock 4 spinning camera fixes before really starting off. I will as time goes on look for some mods to add to the game.

I mean I just started last night and I'm new to this whole souls genre and I must admit the game looks daunting. Gameplay and combat wise I think I can handle it ok but the whole story and lore is not given to you on a silver platter.
Like you have to literally uncover every possible nook and cranny to understand what the hell is going on. I"m not used to this in a game. You usually have games explain or tell you the backstory of whatever it is you're facing. This one they just drop you in and you don't even know which bosses you face first or last lol. But I guess that's what's exciting for some.

Its new to me and I'll keep at it but the thing that scares me most is levelling up and understanding the weapons, magic and character screen. There's so much stuff to consider.

Anyways I'm going to keep at watching tutorials on youtube. As I say this is more of a test run to get me used to the souls game so I can give Elden Ring a real crack.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Yes I see so. I had to do the ultra wide screen and the dual shock 4 spinning camera fixes before really starting off.

I mean I just started last night and I'm new to this whole souls genre and I must admit the game looks daunting. Gameplay and combat wise I think I can handle it ok but the whole story and lore is not given to you on a silver platter.
Like you have to literally uncover every possible nook and cranny to understand what the hell is going on.

Its new to me and I'll keep at it but the thing that scares me most is levelling up and understanding the weapons, magic and character screen. There's so much stuff to consider.

Anyways I'm going to keep at watching tutorials on youtube. As I say this is more of a test run to get me used to the souls game so I can give Elden Ring a real crack.
It has co-op... if you need help hit me up.

Yes I see so. I had to do the ultra wide screen and the dual shock 4 spinning camera fixes before really starting off. I will as time goes on look for some mods to add to the game.

Like you have to literally uncover every possible nook and cranny to understand what the hell is going on. I"m not used to this in a game. You usually have games explain or tell you the backstory of whatever it is you're facing. This one they just drop you in and you don't even know which bosses you face first or last lol. But I guess that's what's exciting for some.

Good luck and have fun. The only thing I'll say is that for most things in Souls its usually much more simple than it looks. Like the leveling system for example is typically really simple once you know how it works.

Nickolaidas

1. Challenge runs are cool but have nothing to do with general difficulty.
Irrelevant to what I said.
My point is that a game can LOOK easy, but it actually isn't. Watching the video above would make me think Fume Knight is a joke if I hadn't fought him myself. When he's actually one of the hardest bosses in the DS trilogy. Took me about 40 efforts to take him down when I first played the game, but I never would've guessed it if I watched the video before fighting him.

2. Someones specific skill doesn't mean they can't criticize a game or can't point out flaws in a game.
Never said they can't. I just said that videos can trick the viewer into thinking something is easy when it actually isn't when one actually plays the damn thing.
3. I'm better than you at every souls game
Before you slam your dick on the door on your way out, we have no way of knowing that unless we meet on PvP with the same soul lvl, character build and equipment. Otherwise it's not a question of who is better but rather who wanted to exploit the game's mechanics/items most.

Last edited:
I did the Inca trail with a backpack for 4 day, what did I see most of the time? Stairs. Looked like grey stone stairs.

Hawking Radiation Hawking Radiation , the thing is that it all seems in bad faith when he takes a screenshot that happened for a few seconds and it’s a focus on ground, and stairs. You guys really want me to go through the best looking games to showcase you bad looking areas? Because that’s fucking easy, even on PC at ultra settings. So yea, you can think it’s not blowing off the lid of the graphical world, you can think that a remake of a level based game where devs don’t have to create any mechanics and with static conditions looks better than a cross gen open world with dynamic night/day cycle. Sure you can. Maybe we just don’t give a fuck. You can play Demon souls remake, while I guarantee you this game will get raving reviews, probably best souls game to date is what we’ll generally see. And then you’ll play the game, find it not as bad as YouTube videos showed.

Anyway..
q5ps021plle81.png

bb5x4x84zle81.jpg

Art and exploration is king for these games
I appreciate the response and I noted everything you pointed out.

At least you didn't throw around F bombs. That I can appreciate.

And I do plan to play this game. I've mentioned before I started Dark Souls 3 recently and its my first souls rodeo. I just need a break from some of the other games I play.
Also wish to stay on topic and this will be the last post regarding anything about the graphics of this game.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Ngl. I haven't been hyped about this game since it was announced. Doesn't look all that interesting visually. But I'm gonna rock it when it releases. Probably even buy it as the world seems dense with a lot to discover. I like shit like that.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I swear half the people in this thread claiming visuals looking great must be fucking blind.

They couldn't at least get this level of visuals??!!

EmivS2GWEAAZkTQ

demons souls looks good in A hyped up unreal engine remake type way done by an obviously brilliant studio….but it’s no where near close to elden ring in actual art style, character designs and atmosphere. It’s also a completely small level based game compared to a massive open world that’s cross gen.

Demons souls looks like over developed lighting and post processing imo And I’ve played it through to completion.

ill Take Elden ring, it looks like from softwares design and i Appreciate their look. It’s completely unique to them.

Top Bottom