• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Elden Ring Gameplay - Exploring Castle Mourne

Ratchet is, it's not close

When I FINALLY got my ps5, Demon's and Ratchet were my first two purchases. Both of them looked amazing, but I thought Demon's was better. Kinda subjective though as you couldn't really have two more completely different art directions.

Sygma

When I FINALLY got my ps5, Demon's and Ratchet were my first two purchases. Both of them looked amazing, but I thought Demon's was better. Kinda subjective though as you couldn't really have two more completely different art directions.

Its not just about art, Ratchet utterly demolishes demon's on a pure technical level

linkroi

Can we at least be honest about how the game looks? I love From Software games and i can't wait to play Elden Ring, but let's be honest here, the visual is kinda disappointing for the moment, even the artistic direction is not that beautiful, just ok (beta). Of course, i guess the game has a lot of content that we don't know about (new area, etc...) but I'm still a bit disappointed at the moment (about the visual).

Buggy Loop

This looks so last-gen , but hey because it From, it gets a free pass.,

Doc Rivers Reaction GIF

It is for last gen

They managed quite well from also their last gen output, Dark souls 3 & Sekiro, for an open world game with dynamic weather/day cycle and no load dungeons.

PC/Next gen consoles will get ray tracing eventually.

I’m not sure what peoples are expecting here? 🤷‍♂️

Tomeru

I dont get the "three hits" complaint. It doesnt take much more, if any, than three hits to kill most enemies in souls games, as most enemies are fodder anyway...

What am I missing?

Dr_Salt

I dont get the "three hits" complaint. It doesnt take much more, if any, than three hits to kill most enemies in souls games, as most enemies are fodder anyway...

What am I missing?
I'm pretty sure they have never played a from game. I was mowing down normal monsters with a greatsword in 3 hit also in DS3.

dorkimoe

Cancelled my pre order. Gonna wait and pick this up used for cheap. I don’t think I understand all the mechanics of these games and I’ll wait for some other simpleton to try it out for me.

Irrelevant to what I said.

Never said they can't. I just said that videos can trick the viewer into thinking something is easy when it actually isn't when one actually plays the damn thing.

Before you slam your dick on the door on your way out, we have no way of knowing that unless we meet on PvP with the same soul lvl, character build and equipment. Otherwise it's not a question of who is better but rather who wanted to exploit the game's mechanics/items most.
It not at all irrelevant to what you said. Posting a challenge run where someone is handicapping themselves in order to make the game harder has absolutely nothing to do with the general difficulty of the game. The only thing irrelevant to the discussion was you trying to bring challenge runs into it. Nothing about the Elden Ring footage people are seeing would "trick" anyone into thinking the game is easier than it is. These are not expert players with thousands of hours in the game. As another poster already pointed out, it's the complete opposite. These types of videos are a good indicator of the expected challenge. The combat in Souls games isn't mechanically complex, it doesn't require amazing reaction time. It's totally fair for someone to look at pre-release footage to get an idea of how the game play works and how they plan to approach it. Fromsoft isn't shy about what there games are like, they are not trying to convince people the game is easy.

And I'm not even sure what you're going on about with that last paragraph. Being good at Souls games is just exploits now? Then why do you even care if someone thinks the game looks easy? PvP? How did we even get to PvP?

FunkMiller

Why are we still having arguments over the graphics? It's a cross gen game. It's going to have last gen graphics. The same as all the other cross gen games are going to have last gen graphics. The same argument is going to happen when more Ragnarok footage comes out, and I'm sure the same will happen with HFW. That's the nature of making games for the old technology.

Last edited:
Yep. Straight up this is embarrassing from a AAA title in 2022. Shit looks like a early 2013 game on PS4 base.

I dont know how people think this is good enough, even if youre a gameplay first kinda gamer, this is next level bad. But of course, it FROM, so no one says anything and the media still gives it 9s and 10s.

I dont know how the fuck they can see the Demons Souls PS5 remake and not feel embarrassed releasing ... this.
This hurts to read, mostly because this could easily have been written by me a decade ago. That sort of mindset absolutely ruined gaming for me, and I didn’t even notice it until I was close to quitting.

Filben

I'm sorry I'm finding it really hard to get excited over something that looks like this...

Screenshot-20220128-185506-You-Tube.jpg

Like what is this. Everything is so flat and lifeless looking. No shadows. The enemy right there took as much skill to kill as turning a doorknob. I really feel like I'm missing something here. Miyazaki's latest interview stating it's the easiest "souls" game seems to be true since all the videos ive seen show enemies being defested in like three hits. And who knows, I'm not considering From Software's pedigree but damn son, this just does not look impressive at all.
I'm with you. I expected more than a slightly better looking DS3 that came years ago. And it's not only the stairs... guys, come the fuck on and don't play stupid on purpose.

It doesn't have to be state of the art visuals. No one who criticises the graphics is saying that or demands the best looking game. Not at all (and just because it's from fan favourite studio FromSoftware doesn't mean ANY kind of criticism is null and void). But some basic features like ambient occlusion that is either very weak or doesn't exist at all in some scenes were implemented in AA games a decade ago. Let alone spotlight shadows from dynamic light sources such as a carried torch are missing as well. Something I've seen in 2006 in games that weren't developed by AAA studios as well.

It's a beautiful game from a art design perspective but not by its graphical features.

Braag

I'm sorry I'm finding it really hard to get excited over something that looks like this...

Screenshot-20220128-185506-You-Tube.jpg

Like what is this. Everything is so flat and lifeless looking. No shadows. The enemy right there took as much skill to kill as turning a doorknob. I really feel like I'm missing something here. Miyazaki's latest interview stating it's the easiest "souls" game seems to be true since all the videos ive seen show enemies being defested in like three hits. And who knows, I'm not considering From Software's pedigree but damn son, this just does not look impressive at all.
You can always beat it with 0 hits taken or blindfolded to show your dominance over lesser players.

Kenpachii

Why? Its supposed to be a fractured decaying world so it makes no sense for it to look like sunset overdrive lore wise.

We have had tons of worlds that are decaying in games or movies, all of them are colorful. This whole grey everything is beyond ugly in mine opinion and frankly its getting old fast. Its my main issue i got with the game.

Last edited:

Thief1987

Elden Rings art direction is just on another level though and does a lot of heavy lifting.
Another level of genericness? Because all i see is just boring grey medieval fantasy with dragons, caves, catacombs, swamps and other usual attributes of the setting, which just migrating from one their game to another, together with animations, assets and overall tech incompetence. So i will say that even in the art department they pretty much stagnate since Demon's Souls with the exception of Bloodborne which is very different and actually top notch artwise.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
You mean, promotional marketing material?
So guerrilla games are now faking 100% of their gameplay material 3 weeks prior to release because it can't be what you don't want to be. And the people currently reviewing it and the previewers before them are all in on it.
Riiiiight.....

What some people can write with a straight face always amuses me. Ofc you could just be a troll giggling into your hands right now because someone responded to the nonsense you wrote....

Last edited:
I wonder if some day we'll get to talk about the actual game and not this 24/7 graphic bitching.
Yep...my thoughts exactly. All the folks lucky enough or who paid scalpers trying to justify their purchase. Its really annoying as I think it looks fine, and i will be able to play it better than any console with a 3000 series graphics card anyway. I am just glad it didn't get scooped up to ps5 only land, as sony doesnt' want to sell me a console.

Can't wait , I've been on media blackout , outside of a few gifs and some of these compressed youtube videos. I played and imported Demons souls when it wasn't coming to the states, as I watched everyone on the websites bad mouth it as crap (because back then there was sooo many 360 fanboys who hated ps3 at the time). When atlus published it they were all eating crow. The thing is that game wasn't graphically great either, neither was dark souls. Only Bloodborne and some of Dark souls 3 were really good graphically. Souls games is there for the unique gameplay , lore, rpg elements, and feeling they give you. Not the graphics.

Hell I'd be fine with a larger hit on graphics if they could release a switch port so it could be played handheld (how i play most games today).

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Also, get a grip.
I never said it didn't looked good, just that it's impossible to make a next gen game on a 2013 APU.
Well that's not what you wrote at all and you know that very well, but I don't think this would go anywhere anyways.

And no company can hide the "bad" parts from reviewers, but sure, stick to your "it's all fake" argument if that makes you happy.

Last edited:

SantaC

Classic Elden Ring thread complaining at graphics for a game that has to run on 2012 tech.

It is crossgen, why is it so hard to understand?

Bluepoints DS remake would look like shit running on base xbox one also.

Last edited:
Another level of genericness? Because all i see is just boring grey medieval fantasy with dragons, caves, catacombs, swamps and other usual attributes of the setting, which just migrating from one their game to another, together with animations, assets and overall tech incompetence. So i will say that even in the art department they pretty much stagnate since Demon's Souls with the exception of Bloodborne which is very different and actually top notch artwise.

Yeah….nothing to see here just some dragons and guys in armor

elden-ring-gameplay-trailer-4k-screenshots-summer-of-games_wvuv.jpg

\

eldenring-05-4k-1623357295439-1623358569556.jpg

Elden-Ring-class.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I wonder how would this dungeon compare to the rest of the optional stuff... Castle Mourne looks so big! And that's the shit I love in those games: imagine stumbling upon this fortress, or seeing it on the distance and thinking "fuck yeah, let's go there" and all the little things that can happen during that travel.

Yeah….nothing to see here just some dragons and guys in armor

elden-ring-gameplay-trailer-4k-screenshots-summer-of-games_wvuv.jpg

\

eldenring-05-4k-1623357295439-1623358569556.jpg

Elden-Ring-class.jpg
Those designs could make any fan of dark fantasy stuff cream their pants. Generic my ass.

YukiOnna

Where have any of the enemy or NPC designs been generic and shown up 100s of times in other fiction? Not even the Dragons look the same in design. Of course there's going to be iconic architecture that dot the world, be it castles or catacombs, it's a freaking medieval fantasy and I want that. It can't be different for the sake of being different. But they hardly miss the mark in nailing the atmosphere they want to present nor adding their unique flair.

Also, please get over the tech stuff and head to the acceptance stage already. Annoying:
“And not just with Elden Ring, but with all the games we make. Graphical fidelity is not something we put as the top priority. What we ask for on the graphics side depends on the systems and requirements of the game itself, and it takes less priority compared to the other elements of development.” - Miyazaki

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It has become a word people love to throw around at things they dont like regardless it would make sense or not.
Yeah I agree. For me those games always have the coolest designs, really can't understand how anyone could call this generic.

I mean I might be able to understand if Souls games and Elden Ring had the same aesthetics as, for example, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, but they obviously don't since it's much more darker and twisted, being much more closer to something like Berserk than your typical medieval setting.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah I agree. For me those games always have the coolest designs, really can't understand how anyone could call this generic.

I mean I might be able to understand if Souls games and Elden Ring had the same aesthetics as, for example, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, but they obviously don't since it's much more darker and twisted, being much more closer to something like Berserk than your typical medieval setting.
But remember what this is really about, they make excuse about being "generic" but they really talking about is why graphics is not high tech. I bet you anything if art direction was actually generic but it had high tech graphics they wouldn't complain.

Buggy Loop

9gxrf6iwb6861.png

Remember this concept art that leaked in 2020? It was leaked with another concept art of what became known later as General Radahn which we got in trailers.

I have a feeling we’re only seeing the tip of the iceberg. CNT being only 13% of the known map so far, with no idea how big the full map is… yea, we eating gooood in 26 days

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
9gxrf6iwb6861.png

Remember this concept art that leaked in 2020? It was leaked with another concept art of what became known later as General Radahn which we got in trailers.

I have a feeling we’re only seeing the tip of the iceberg. CNT being only 13% of the known map so far, with no idea how big the full map is… yea, we eating gooood in 26 days
I was thinking about this too. Crazy as I imagine meeting this creature in some sorta cave. Could it be an NPC?

Doc Rivers Reaction GIF

It is for last gen

They managed quite well from also their last gen output, Dark souls 3 & Sekiro, for an open world game with dynamic weather/day cycle and no load dungeons.

PC/Next gen consoles will get ray tracing eventually.

I’m not sure what peoples are expecting here? 🤷‍♂️

I never remember reading that for Halo Infinite 8 min demo. No matter it was also for last-gen, a move to an open world and day and night cycle ;)

Buggy Loop

I never remember reading that for Halo Infinite 8 min demo. No matter it was also for last-gen, a move to an open world and day and night cycle ;)

Are you sarcastic? Halo infinite didn’t get shit for its graphics? LOL

At least there IS an Xbox series version, Elden ring as of now does not, there’s only PS4/Xbox One/PC. Maybe we can reserve judgement on Elden Ring PS5/Xbox series when they will patch in ray tracing?

ButchCat

Am I the only one who enjoyed Bloodborne and Sekiro but could never get into Dark Souls no matter how hard they tried? I'm thinking about picking this up but my failed relationship with Dark Souls tells me you shouldn't.

Last edited:

Arcadialane

unique gameplay

What would you say is unique or interesting about the souls game play?

Most of what I've seen of these games is just people rolling. slashing away at a bit of enemy health, rolling, slashing, rolling, slashing, repeat for 20 hours grinding.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Most of what I've seen of these games is just people rolling. slashing away at a bit of enemy health, rolling, slashing, rolling, slashing, repeat for 20 hours grinding.
Well yeah, but it's all about rolling and slashing at the RIGHT time.

TintoConCasera

The OT for this game's going to be amazing: lots of people complaining about stupid shit and nobody to answer them since everyone and their moms will be playing the game.

Yeah no shit. What do you want to do, invite your enemy to a dance? It's a grounded action melee game: you slash, dodge, guard and parry. This isn't DMC and it doesn't need to be.

Also...
what I've seen
How about trying the game?

Arcadialane

You can reduce any game like that, I mean what exactly you do in a game like Doom other than point and shoot
Yeah no shit. What do you want to do, invite your enemy to a dance? It's a grounded action melee game: you slash, dodge, guard and parry. This isn't DMC and it doesn't need to be.
The guy I was responding to said it was unique, was wondering how. But you guys confirming it isn't really and its kinda repetitive and grindy like a lot other games?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
kinda repetitive and simple like a lot other games?
From games have crazy amount of enemy and boss fights with their own unique attack pattern, so if you find it “repetitive” then so is 99% of all games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom