• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 7-13 | Smash our expectations

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Major Balance Patch 1.12 Released

keepsgettingfunnier4ksg8.png

casperOne

There's a certain shock factor that comes into play here, as UGF is so niche that you'd never expect another entrant to compete, and yet, here we are.

webm is neat

Another webm

i got this from chan

i dont know what type of FG videos you making , but it might help for just simple short webms?

At first I was thinking to myself that webm is just another file format, but I have to be honest, the quality looks great.

However, while not a file format, I have to still believe that YouTube is the best for fighting games, only because of all the extra metadata that comes along with it (which helps with things like identification, etc).

Impossible to make webm files. Videos I have are too large and any program I try to convert stuff with it's like wtf, too big.

Legit offer, if you have the video files somewhere, I'll convert them. What's the processing power of your machine like?

speaking of CEO, since I stumbled on 2013 entrant totals:

Total: 1209 (assuming nobody entered more than one game, obviously the real number is lower)

I'd strongly advise against this. By the same logic, you could say CEO had no more than 280 entrants, because you can assume that all the players from all the other games came from the same pool that of AE players.

That was the problem with Evo last year; they indicated that they had over 5,000 individual players which I showed them was incorrect.

Point is, it's better to just perform a count and be done with it.

Do you happen to have a link to the brackets from those past CEOs?

And I thought Marvel was a high damage game

You've obviously never played Super Turbo.

As much as I'd jump on the bandwagon, that speculation game has been played before by other gaming journalism outlets. It's notable, yes, but I agree that the amount of speculation in the article is high, even for EH.

Am I the only one that gets irritated by the fact that they don't have a decent CMS which removes the "hit the jump to see more" from their actual content?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'd strongly advise against this. By the same logic, you could say CEO had no more than 280 entrants, because you can assume that all the players from all the other games came from the same pool that of AE players.

That was the problem with Evo last year; they indicated that they had over 5,000 individual players which I showed them was incorrect.
It's not like they don't know, either. They know how many registrations they've processed, how many badges given out, and how many spectators have paid.

Horseress

Dahbomb's cat?

As much as I'd jump on the bandwagon, that speculation game has been played before by other gaming journalism outlets. It's notable, yes, but I agree that the amount of speculation in the article is high, even for EH.

Am I the only one that gets irritated by the fact that they don't have a decent CMS which removes the "hit the jump to see more" from their actual content?

That irritates me as well, they do it since always and never thought how stupid it is

Ninja Dom

FGC-GAF, please advise.

I'm crazy for King of Fighters 98. But I don't have a version of the game that I can play on any of my current machines yet.

I own a PS3, Vita, Wii U and 3DS. I haven't got access to my older Xbox original and PS2.

So I've know KOF 98 is available on the Wii Virtual Console that I'd play through the Wii U. Has anybody played KOF 98 (or any other Neo Geo fighting game) through the Wii Virtual Console on the Wii U?? If so how is it??

I have the Wii Classic Controller so I can use that to play it.

Or is there any other way to play KOF 98 on any of the above machines?

casperOne

YT need to support 60fps imo

While it violates the ToS, you can download high quality video from YT. In many cases, this is an MP4 which has 60fps I believe.

Of course, you're limited by the upload in the first place, if the original upload isn't 60fps, then you'll never be able to get 60fps on the download which doesn't have interpolated frames.

Or were you just playing on the 60fps thing that GAF is obsessed with?

I get how essential 60fps is for playing games, but how essential is it for watching them (although I wouldn't want to see a 60fps video reduced to 30fps, I imagine it would be just ugly).

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
FGC-GAF, please advise.

I'm crazy for King of Fighters 98. But I don't have a version of the game that I can play on any of my current machines yet.

I own a PS3, Vita, Wii U and 3DS. I haven't got access to my older Xbox original and PS2.

So I've know KOF 98 is available on the Wii Virtual Console that I'd play through the Wii U. Has anybody played KOF 98 (or any other Neo Geo fighting game) through the Wii Virtual Console on the Wii U?? If so how is it??

Well you can mod your PS3 or exploit your Vita to do PSP homebrew if you haven't updated to play it through emulation. You would probably have to turn off raster effects tho if you play on Vita though since the newest exploits for vita act like PSP1000s with 32 mb instead of like PSP slim and above where they upgraded the ram to 64mb which allowed you to use MVSPSP Slim edition to get full speed with video sync and raster effects on.

Horseress

And it looks like Nintendo will not give us a release date, instead they'll give the release window!

10 bucks on spring 2015

Ninja Dom

Well you can mod your PS3 or exploit your Vita to do PSP homebrew if you haven't updated to play it through emulation. You would probably have to turn off raster effects tho if you play on Vita though since the newest exploits for vita act like PSP1000s with 32 mb instead of like PSP slim and above where they upgraded the ram to 64mb which allowed you to use MVSPSP Slim edition to get full speed with video sync and raster effects on.

None of my machines are modded. I know the Wii VC version will be Neo Geo emulated and I'll give it a purchase if I hear good things about it. I'd like to be able to change the button configuration.

FGC-GAF, please advise.

Buy a Raspberry Pi, install a distro emulator, plug it to a TV it via Composite or HDMI, connect any USB pad/stick, enjoy all games of all time. Cost : 35$.
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-retro-game-console-498561192

And you can take it to your friends house to have some games, it feets in your pocket. ^^

poopninjamvc3mk

Buy a Raspberry Pi, install a distro emulator, plug it to a TV it via Composite or HDMI, connect any USB pad/stick, enjoy all games of all time. Cost : 35$.
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-retro-game-console-498561192

And you can take it to your friends house to have some games, it feets in your pocket. ^^

I think I want one of these but it says NEOGEO and PS1 emulation isn't all that great. I see this story is from may 2013 so it might be super improved now though.

I already have a laptop but I dig the portability of this.

Salex_

Anyone played Playstation All Stars? If so, how is it competitively? Interested in trying it since I don't have many options right now. Gave my 360 to my cousin, PS4 only has Injustice(lol), and SFxT is the only fighter I'd play on the Vita (got it from PS+ and this game works surprisingly well on the Vita. complete button mapping and I can do all my links with a decent connection).

A Gaffer just bought Gals Fighter for Neo Geo Pocket for $250. This makes me wonder, what is the most expensive non-arcade fighting game out there?

Anyone played Playstation All Stars? If so, how is it competitively? Interested in trying it since I don't have many options right now. Gave my 360 to my cousin, PS4 only has Injustice(lol), and SFxT is the only fighter I'd play on the Vita (got it from PS+ and this game works surprisingly well on the Vita. complete button mapping and I can do all my links with a decent connection).
Competitively, I believe it is unanimously regarded as a miserable game.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
FGC-GAF, please advise.

just get a 360, they're on the cheap now and the 98UM conversion is real nice. Garou and 02UM are on there too.

BadWolf

FGC-GAF, please advise.

If you want online multiplayer then PC emulation is probably your best bet right now, while waiting on SNK to get their act together on Steam or whatever.

poopninjamvc3mk

Competitive it's fun but you gotta get private matches on forums setup to fully enjoy it since Ranked is basically only FFA and the other mode quick match is either 2v2(which is good if you got a great partner) or unranked FFA.

I still find it funny they delivered on everything fans wanted in patch except a ranked 1v1 or at least quick match matchmaking for 1v1.

With the patch released this is the absolute best time to get in or back in the game.

Patch notes here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798347

BadWolf

What exactly is the point of limiting their audience?

Really hate the way Topanga handle the streaming of their tournaments.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
All-Stars is a guilty pleasure, but my friends and I quit playing because of the high rage quit and lack of host migration.

Yeah, I got too many rage messages, rage quits, etc. It's fun for awhile but it really got old. At least, we got a new patch so I'm coming back to that game.

Shito

That Topanga thing is starting to become surreal.
Japan is getting so much behind everyone when it comes to streaming...

Looks like Topanga is Region locked

Thanks Obama Iwata

Point is, it's better to just perform a count and be done with it.

Do you happen to have a link to the brackets from those past CEOs?

I pulled the results from their website, while I don't have brackets you could manually search for duplicate entrants (http://www.ceogaming.org/results/188-ceo2013results).
besides, it's nice to use as an upper bound at least (so basically we know CEO 2013 had fewer than 1200 entrants)

Top Bottom