• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 3-9 | Why doesn't Bungie make fighting games?

Silky

Banned
A friend who works there said they're working on nothing currently. Still waiting on someone to accept the avatar bet :p

Because SNK's outsourcing 3D development to other devs in France right

nope. fuck it im done with this tile mountain shit. i need a smoke

In regards to Bloody Roar; I'd rather NOT have Konami work on/fund another fighting game after how badly they fucked over the Skullgirls developers.

I'd also rather not support Konami because lol they sell nothing I want.

Dahbomb

Oh so that's what SNK is doing. Building 3D renders of characters so they can use as promotional material for their pachinko slot machines.

Reminds me of Capcom making the DMC4 pachinko slot machines.

Watching that trailer reminded me how awesome Samurai Showdown was and the awesome character designs/background stages. First weapon based fighter as well.

Silky

Banned
SNK's definitely doing SOMETHING. With the eventual KOF02UM and 98 ports coming this year to Steam, the US building being relocated to Seattle, them opening up to more user input than before what with actually scheduling betas through social media marketing--this is all stuff that the SNKP in say, late '11 and before would never do.

Tencent, DotEmu and among others have been giving them a better idea on how to approach an online market. Steam might very well be that key to boost SNKP back up their notoriety.

Niitris

I'm really pulling for SNKP to make a quality Samurai Shodown. I like KoF and all, but a good SamSho (something like 2 or at least 5 Special) in today's generation would really fill a void that I believe is missing. :(

Jazz-ism

Banned
sf4/umvc
injustice
melee
Killer Instinct
TTT2
BBCP
KoF xiii

Exhibitions:
divekick
skullgirls

side tourneys:
ggxxacr+
p4u2 (?)

Jazz-ism

Banned
SL5vM4m.gif

I don't know, I guess it being a bit more cleaner to be in. I have never been there so I don't know what I'm saying. Hopefully I'll be able to go by 2015 and see it for myself!

as long as you stay away from hookah bars im sure you will survive!

good lord bakedyams i gotta respect you because you are in medical school, but got DAMN youre a real lame. a true bird.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's an interesting definition of call to arms lol, it just ended up being him asking for subscribers lol

ZTS shout out at 19:50. Lmao this footage of the Tekken stream from Eddie Piston's house he's showing looks wild hahahahah. I see soakrates in the chat too.

I feel for Art though, kinda sad looking through his videos and seeing no real consistent increase in views even though he's putting all this extra work in. I know Art said video editing isn't really his thing, but I do feel maybe improving the presentation of his videos (like match analyses) might help him push through and get more subscribers (and at the end of the day, people who he can bring into a paid subscriber base even if he's weaning off of ad revenue).

EDIT: Might as well ask, what are some good easy to intermediate to use video editing programs?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
as long as you stay away from hookah bars im sure you will survive!

good lord bakedyams i gotta respect you because you are in medical school, but got DAMN youre a real lame. a true bird.

Uhm okay. I don't know why I'm lame but alright.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
ZTS shout out at 19:50. Lmao this footage of the Tekken stream from Eddie Piston's house he's showing looks wild hahahahah. I see soakrates in the chat too.
At KiT, Tekken got put in the Smash room.

The juxtaposition between the quiet-as-a-mouse suburban white Smash players with Pokchop's constant "WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP"s and table-pounding was one of the funniest things I've seen in months.

That "what on earth is going on over there" look on their faces just slayed me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
At KiT, Tekken got put in the Smash room.

The juxtaposition between the quiet-as-a-mouse suburban white Smash players with Pokchop's constant "WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP"s and table-pounding was one of the funniest things I've seen in months.
The Smash room was quiet? That's surprising, people go nutso for Smash, at least when I check it out on the blue moon.

Sigmaah

I just thought about it, no way can a game company be as weird and dumb like Capcom unless it's the idea of it. Just do insane crazy shit then make the new hype game after like 5 years, rinse and repeat.

We've been fooled this whole time, great business idea Capcom.

Azure J

Get ready for our new overlords: Smash and Xrd

I can live with this. Project M has been my most played game currently* and Xrd looks fucking awesome. I was a bit sad that none of the characters I dabbled in with the intent of maining over time are in game, but Dragon Trigger Sol, Millia and I-no aren't too bad.

Meanwhile, with regards to P:M, it feels like a whole new world opened up to me recently now that I have a better appreciation for the things that made Melee such a sharp game. When I was younger, I really disliked how Melee felt in a post 64 world (everything was too heavy) and that really stuck with me until I started watching high level stuff in the last 4 or 5 years and "got it." It's good that it happened when it did though, I was really missing Smash. Playing my mains in Marth and Pit while attempting to learn a space animal between Fox or Falco reminds me of why I always considered myself a Smash kid before anything else.

My Marth is ass to moderately OK (I get by on good spacing and dashing/dash dancing but suck at wavelanding) but I suck at crouch cancelled normals and Ken Combos for some reason and my Pit is about the same (btw, Pit might be the best character in that game currently; if not, he has the best normal projectile I've seen in a fighting game recently and I mained Dante in Marvel 3), but I can't do that Armada fair - L Cancel Landing/Double Jump - Arrow - Triple Jump fair thing at all. Fox is WTF hard for a newbie and it doesn't help that I'm essentially playing this with Wiimote - Nunchuk controls. Falco is about the same but somehow more manageable until you need to recover. Love pillar combos though. I also randomly fucks with some Ganondorf because sometimes, you just want to crack a few skulls open. Flame Choke tech chases are great btw.

alstein

Yeah Mai's a lot more deep as a character than her costume presents herself as. I think she needed a redesign of her costume like Andy got in '99. You would THINK that she's a seductive temptress with that kind of jiggly going on but she's not really like that to any of the dudes in KOF other than Andy. She's also arguably one of the more progressive thinking characters in the female cast of KOF

oh god here it go.

3 > ODST > Reach > 2 > CE > 4

She got a redesign of her costume once in FF3/RBFF1- I wish they had kept that.

FSLink

Banned
it doesn't help that I'm essentially playing this with Wiimote - Nunchuk controls.

You gotta get that Classic Controller adapter + White GC controller combo.

Also I expect Project M to be a pretty nice side tournament at EVO, too bad the chances of it being on the main stage are lower than a UMvC3 balance patch.

alstein

Yea well the American FGC is just very Capcom oriented and you can find the roots in EVO or at least the instigator. EVO is the biggest FG tournament and it has always featured SF and MVC at the main stage.

Until a game overtakes those two.... the American FGC will remain Capcom influenced. Its sort of a vicious cycle... EVO makes SF/MVC mainstage, people get hyped over it and play it the most, those two games get most entrants and EVO puts them at main stage again repeating the cycle.

I just can't see a game overtaking those two period.

No anime game is ever going to do it. Tekken almost had a chance, but I think Namco dropped the ball on that.
MK fell too far last decade that it won't catch up. Smash is too tied to the fate of Nintendo.

My predicted lineup

USF4 if USF4 is out by then, AE otherwise
Marvel
Smash of some sort- Melee or Project M
BBCP - Balance patch is going to save this game
KI- that sponsorship money
TTT2 even as bad as it's doing- FR will give it a boost, and they'll want a token 3D fighter
fan vote game- predict SG wins this.

Speaking of Bungie, I remember Oni being pretty fun, but I don't know if it was nostalgia. I played it before I ever played an actual good 3rd person character action game so god knows if the controls were actually good.

I don't know if this has been talked about before here, but what do you guys think of ESGN TV?

I stumbled upon them by accident. Currently, they have this SSFIVAE thing with top players like infiltration and Xian as competitors in their "Fight Night" segments, which airs Mon. - Fri.

I just watched some episodes on their youtube channel and thought it was nicely done. It felt like a TV production. The only stupid thing imo were the girls, which seemed to be there soley for eye candy. [Not implying that girls are stupid!]

Edit:
As for eSports x FGC, we say it will never happen, but we've all been watching Fight Night (and we're talking about the next set of episodes too). Who knows, perhaps these are the seeds that make something like that happen.

Ah, so it's been talked about and I just missed it. My bad!

casperOne

We need to lock in final predictions. Hey Shouta, hows about giving a tag to the person who guesses the lineup exactly?

USF4/AE2012
UMvC3
Killer Instinct
Injustice
New Smash (if out)/old smash
BBCP
TTT2
Super Turbo
Yeah, I said it.

I need to ask, what's your opinion on how Wizard runs EVO? I don't have any info but have heard a lot of hearsay that it is hype but isn't worth the money at the end of it. Would honestly prefer an eSports x FGC EVO but that'll never happen.

Wizard is here from time to time, if you want to recommend something.

Not sure how Wizard factors into whether or not the hype is worth it. Something being "worth it" to you is purely subjective. You simply have to assess the value vs the cost and make a decision for yourself.

As for eSports x FGC, we say it will never happen, but we've all been watching Fight Night (and we're talking about the next set of episodes too). Who knows, perhaps these are the seeds that make something like that happen.

Niitris

I would kill to see Super Turbo return.
in b4 HD remix

USF4
UMvC3
Melee
KI
KoF XIII
Injustice
TTT2
BBCP
DoA5U
SFxT

Evo expands to 10 games; entries will be underwhelming for all games (except for SF, Marvel, and Smash).

BadWolf

A friend who works there said they're working on nothing currently. Still waiting on someone to accept the avatar bet :p

I'll wait to hear from SNK themselves.

People were saying they were dead again after the arcade KOFXIII release but then we got a console version, which was essentially KOF XIII Special with a complete balance overhaul.

We had a guy prancing around on the Dreamcancel forums saying he was in the know and saying left and right that nothing was in the works and SNK was dead again. Once the XIII port was announced he disappeared.

Top Bottom