• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 3-9 | Why doesn't Bungie make fighting games?

Nyoro SF

Not always a good thing, I've gotten death threats in person during my Tekken win streak x.x/

That guy got his ass beat outside the arcade though afterwards :D

I used to play in the arcade when I lived in Philly, and whenever I went in the afternoon....

there was this odd dude (college aged) who would break into full out tears when he lost with e.honda in sf4

alstein

Its fun seeing exactly the people I expected to shit on our farewell start nice and early, with lies mixed in for flavor. Its fun being am FGC TO. (This is not in reference to anything on GAF, btw)

I never attended your event, won't be able to this year, but it really was the one event I regret not hitting (It makes no sense for folks in my area to hit Chicago on Mem Day weekend)

I really hope another major, preferably TFC , takes some of your traditions on- such as the Mystery Game tourney- that was the hypest thing ever.

Not that I'm aware of. I judged a 2v2 SFxT pool in 2012 where one guy was wearing a full bodysuit and head mask.

That sounds crazy.

Then again, my 3rd match in Marvel was against a guy in a Spider-man mask with his glasses OUTSIDE of the mask. Dude was really cool too, and it was just really hilarious to see my opponent was just nicely dressed guy with a Spider-man mask.

Just tried out Red EX-Ultra Combo for the first time, and this is a huuuuuuge help for the "bad at execution in general" crowd, imo.

I made a short video about it. Depending on your character it's brain dead easy confirm. I landed it against jlai a few days ago when we played pc ssf4 with the ultra mod. Cr. Mk, light axe kick, ex red focus, Ultra 2 = nearly 500 damage. It's expensive but for my character anyways, it was worth it.

UFGT is pound-for-pound more entertaining for me than EVO. It sucks that there will be no more after X, but there's something to be said for going out on top, too. All things have to end, but it's really nice to get to write that ending.

kick51

Banned
Lethal League for EVO.

i played the ever living shit out of that game after I saw it ufgt. Made the rest of school nice and smooth

Not that I'm aware of. I judged a 2v2 SFxT pool in 2012 where one guy was wearing a full bodysuit and head mask.

That sounds crazy.

Then again, my 3rd match in Marvel was against a guy in a Spider-man mask with his glasses OUTSIDE of the mask. Dude was really cool too, and it was just really hilarious to see my opponent was just nicely dressed guy with a Spider-man mask.

That's cool.

If I ever did go that's something I would consider doing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The best UFGT I've seen streamed was one where they had the mystery tournament in between games and that epic NSMBWii play. I think that was UFGT7, but it may have been 8. The one(s) afterwards were good too, but man that one was something else. I loved that set up, it really felt like a lot of the more leisurely streams you'll find on twitch, it was just a lot of unique content back to back to back. I think that's around when Marvel 3 just came out too so the auctions were wild.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The best UFGT I've seen streamed was one where they had the mystery tournament in between games and that epic NSMBWii play. I think that was UFGT7, but it may have been 8. The one(s) afterwards were good too, but man that one was something else. I loved that set up, it really felt like a lot of the more leisurely streams you'll find on twitch, it was just a lot of unique content back to back to back. I think that's around when Marvel 3 just came out too so the auctions were wild.

God damn, this sounds like a lot of fun. Hope this years tournament will go out in a bang. Now time to find money to go to Chicago...

Omega

Banned
NRS community should do more than just bitch

They complain that they don't have any tournaments for NRS games, or complain how currents tournaments treat NRS games. why not go about setting one up then? You can have all the trophies and start at whatever time you want.

alstein

Not always a good thing, I've gotten death threats in person during my Tekken win streak x.x/

That guy got his ass beat outside the arcade though afterwards :D

My response to one guy threatening me once was to beat his ass looking away at the screen while kissing a girl.

He went nuts after that and got tossed. I was such a dick when I was younger.

I hope somebody takes a stab at something like Bushido Blade again. It seemed to me those deadliest warrior games tried, but I thought they were really not that good.

Blade Symphony?

wait, link to this?
and NSMB Wii?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
God damn, this sounds like a lot of fun. Hope this years tournament will go out in a bang. Now time to find money to go to Chicago...
wait, link to this?
and NSMB Wii?
Found it. NSMB Wii part specifically 39 or so mins in.

It was UFGT7. This was so much fun to watch live, and is also one of the few archives I've went back and watched on YT as well.

One of the mystery rounds was MvC3 with network simulation on the worst setting :lol

UFGT7 and 8 are two of the best tournaments I've seen (from a stream viewer perspective). I thought last year was missing that sense of fun and unique identity (perhaps because of divekick, which of course makes sense).

Hopefully we get one last great show.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
UFGT7 and 8 are two of the best tournaments I've seen (from a stream viewer perspective). I thought last year was missing that sense of fun and unique identity (perhaps because of divekick, which of course makes sense).

Hopefully we get one last great show.
Was 8 the one with Balrog Ball? I agree with your post though, last year was missing a certain something but I sort of also attributed that to me not really being able to watch as much of it has I had the two prior years.

NRS community should do more than just bitch

They complain that they don't have any tournaments for NRS games, or complain how currents tournaments treat NRS games. why not go about setting one up then? You can have all the trophies and start at whatever time you want.

We often do. Doesn't mean we don't want a seat at the general FGC table too.

If we did our own thing the blowup would be look at us, trying to seperate ourselves from the rest.

all of the drama is over seeding though? that is really hard to believe...

It's a general sense of people expecting to get preferential treatment and not getting it. Fanatic and Knives not getting preferential pool placements because they're sponsored players, TOs actually enforcing rules for DQs and whatnot with top players, and Injustice not getting preferential scheduling for being the hot thing at that moment.

I lost a ton of respect for a lot of people that weekend.

Was 8 the one with Balrog Ball? I agree with your post though, last year was missing a certain something but I sort of also attributed that to me not really being able to watch as much of it has I had the two prior years.

Yeah that is the one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA1Sl3IZrGg

Also had the great pre-show which drew me into the event.

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/319272364

It is those little touches that make you tune in more. Of course once you are watching, the fighting games do the rest.

Jazz-ism

Banned

If we did our own thing the blowup would be look at us, trying to seperate ourselves from the rest.

didnt u raise hell about having to play at 9 am last year? how is that not a self blowup?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Chindogg and Tuboware is the greatest whiteboy duo in the FGC. They are like David Spade and Chris Farley.

Omega

Banned

True.

it just gets annoying when I get on twitter every day and two or three different NRS guys are complaining about something. I'm usually not even following them, for some reason it's being retweeted

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah that is the one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA1Sl3IZrGg

Also had the great pre-show which drew me into the event.

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/319272364

It is those little touches that make you tune in more. Of course once you are watching, the fighting games do the rest.
After you linking this, you reminded me that the camera work was S tier at UFGT as well. Some of the times they cut during tournament matches to a dramatic zoom in or panning on players during pop offs or saltiness really helped the vibe of the tournament.

didnt u raise hell about having to play at 9 am last year? how is that not a self blowup?
Who's "u"? I personally did not.
I hope this leads to a pop off.

True.

it just gets annoying when I get on twitter every day and two or three NRS guys are complaining about something. I'm usually not even following them, for some reason it's being retweeted

It's mostly guys who don't even play anymore. Like CD Jr is one of the main guys and he literally won't shut up about how "I don't play this game" and how he hates Injustice. He hasn't been very active in the MKC other than bitching on twitter for like a year.

Omega

Banned
It's mostly guys who don't even play anymore. Like CD Jr is one of the main guys and he literally won't shut up about how "I don't play this game" and how he hates Injustice. He hasn't been very active in the MKC other than bitching on twitter for like a year.

You're right.

It was mainly the people like him I was referring to, but I didn't know how else to refer to them other than NRS guys.

Like when I got on today to see someone saying "good riddance to UFGT ending" i just facepalmed. These are usually the same dudes bitching how FGC is always gonna be small time and never change, yet they celebrate when a long-time tournament ends just because they didn't have the best start time or trophies.

Jazz-ism

Banned
remember last year at this time the community was exploring the "TO's secretly exploit players and make hundreds of thousands of dollars" conspiracy

LOL

mbpm1

Was coming home after playing some SF at a friend's house and decided to pull up through a drivethru.

talkative black guy behind the windows was like, "what is that thing?" to my fight stick and I said it was for "street fighter."

His eyes just lit up and he was like "Yo, you play street fighter 2?"

i said, "naw, street fighter 4." and he said, "Oh, I play SF2. You don't wanna face me at that, I'M A MASTER."

Was a cool little moment.

CurlyW

Found it. NSMB Wii part specifically 39 or so mins in.

It was UFGT7. This was so much fun to watch live, and is also one of the few archives I've went back and watched on YT as well.

One of the mystery rounds was MvC3 with network simulation on the worst setting :lol

My favorite part of the NSMBWii round is Skisonic yelling at the competitors.

"GET COINS SON!"

remember last year at this time the community was exploring the "TO's secretly exploit players and make hundreds of thousands of dollars" conspiracy

I think the suggestion that the "community" was exploring it, is a little incorrect.

More accurately, a few select players made absurd comments about it.

Omega

Banned
oh shit. Wao coming to SCR

First time in the states right?

SCR 2014

Haven't watched an event trailer in a while. Last time I did, every trailer used dubstep. It sounds so weird without it now

Top Bottom