• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 3-9 | Why doesn't Bungie make fighting games?

Beckx

Mando's stream setup for Gundam is so damn amazing. It's exactly what I want to do. Gonna have to do a bit more research and set some money aside for it, lol.

So good. Great clarity when the 4 screens were up and seamless switching when focusing on one player. A blast to watch.

Kimosabae

Banned
I just heard a quick story about it on the radio. During the interview he discussed bouncing between subjects so his opponents don't get a feel for the subject and going for the bottom two rows of values early and often to pick up Daily Double chances. Not so much to win them, but to prevent others from getting them. Leading to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LwagLLbEMs

Is there an article that goes deeper into his strategies? What principles of Game Theory is he drawing from?

Keits

Developer
It wasn't the volume, it was more that it replaced the pre-show which I saw as a downer.

Like I said before, it made perfect sense at the time. But it also took away a lot of what made the tournament feel special and different.

Pre Game-Show was probably a one-time thing. It wasn't very successful in my eyes because of audio and tech issues, and it was very very time consuming to put together.

Thats why we went back to Pre-Game Show in 2013.

If there is huge demand for Pre Game-Show in 2014, I'll consider figuring something out.

El Sloth

Banned
I just heard a quick story about it on the radio. During the interview he discussed bouncing between subjects so his opponents don't get a feel for the subject and going for the bottom two rows of values early and often to pick up Daily Double chances. Not so much to win them, but to prevent others from getting them. Leading to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LwagLLbEMs
Just heard him on the radio. It's really funny how angry people seem to be at him for the silliest things. Like him supposedly "glaring" at the other contestants when they're answering or because some people perceive him as trying to talk over Trebek.

I respect the hustle. More than anything, I'm surprised no one has tried something similar before.
This is great- I wish I had heard about his earlier. I want real links to people's salt about his play!
http://nyc.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/meet-arthur-your-next-jeopardy-sensation/

It's really funny how uptight people are about his appearance for some reason. I guess they can't find anything else to criticize him on.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Just heard him on the radio. It's really funny how angry people seem to be at him for the silliest things. Like him supposedly "glaring" at the other contestants when they're answering or because some people perceive him as trying to talk over Trebek.

I respect the hustle. More than anything, I'm surprised no one has tried something similar before.

Yeah this is what's surprising to me.

Especially with how open he seems to be about literally googling "Jeopardy strategy" when he found out he got picked.

There's whole communities online dedicated to this sort of thing. Man just studied the work they had done

http://nyc.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/meet-arthur-your-next-jeopardy-sensation/

It's really funny how uptight people are about his appearance for some reason. I guess they can't find anything else to criticize him on.

lol someone in that article tweeted that Arthur's a "failure at life." They have an odd definition of failure.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
but yeah I'm a big fan of Arthur Chu atm

Man is applying strategy to a game show and having mad success, spitting in the face of meaningless societal norms(within the context of the game) and antagonizing racists all at once.

All three things I can really get behind. I might have to start watching Jeopardy if he's still on it.

Dahbomb

*Asian from Ohio*

Guy: Mom we got an Asian on the show!

Mom: "Good he'll kick some ass!"

Guy: "Mom he's a fat Asian."

Mom: "Oh I don't know about that then...."

Second guy: "My Dad and I agreed... after the show he is going to use his earnings to get a penis pump!"

LMAO @ some of these tweets!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Is there an article that goes deeper into his strategies? What principles of Game Theory is he drawing from?

As he puts it, he literally googled "jeopardy strategy" and just studied the results from the links

I don't think he's playing based on any abstract principles, but the results of his research studying the work and results of these people in these Jeopardy communities that have broken down and studied the games for years. and any game broken down to its most basic strategic elements likely follows some broader principles of game theory.

Kimosabae

Banned
Ever since reading Hobbe's 'Leviathan' some years back I've been wanting to study Game Theory. So much to learn so little time.

As he puts it, he literally googled "jeopardy strategy" and just studied the results from the links

I don't think he's playing based on any abstract principles, but the results of his research studying the work and results of these people in these Jeopardy communities that have broken down and studied the games for years. and likely any game broken down to its most basic strategic elements likely follows some broader principles of game theory.

I agree. It's always satisfying to know that you're capable of recognizing those principles when you seem them at work though. That's why I'm interested in knowing specifics.

kirblar

I don't think he's playing based on any abstract principles, but the results of his research studying the work and results of these people in these Jeopardy communities that have broken down and studied the games for years. and likely any game broken down to its most basic strategic elements likely follows some broader principles of game theory.
The big thing people don't do well- Final Jeopardy betting.

Keits

Developer
We'd like to have an indie game area at UFGT10. Setting up BaraBariBall, Samurai Gunn, and Nidhogg would be awesome, but I lack the equipment to make that happen. I'm still looking into how to get past that small issue, however. And I'm open to less known or new indie games coming out to the show as well.

xCobalt

pMp4ALd.png

After watching the olympics for a couple of days online, it would be amazing to see the FGC reach this level of production. The toolbar at the top are updated instantly showing standings, upcoming athletes, additional info on the current athlete and other information. I'm sure this kind of technology has been around for awhile but its the first time I'm exposed to it.

kirblar

After watching the olympics for a couple of days online, it would be amazing to see the FGC reach this level of production. The toolbar at the top are updated instantly showing standings, upcoming athletes, additional info on the current athlete and other information. I'm sure this kind of technology has been around for awhile but its the first time I'm exposed to it.
That would require money, lol.

Yea, this kinda stuff has been around. It would be cool if evo did something similar, on a lower scale of course.

It would be cool little thing also to me if they had those little mini live portraits that NBC NFL does where the players say their name and what school they went, but it was a player and where he is from.

What we need is instant replay, complete with a way to draw on the screen and give madden style commentary. Though, it'd probably only benefit Gundam to any significant degree, given the possibility that something crucial to the match could have happened on a screen other than the one being focused on if they don't have all 4 up.

Omega

Banned
I didn't smile once, maybe I'm getting bored of the formula

Probably more that they both did a 2 out of 3 with someone who wasn't even good and it had a more serious tone to it.

What makes Excellent Adventures is the lighthearted nature, Mike seemingly getting bodied by everyone because he thinks he can use all 39 characters and Gootecks with his hyuk hyuks in the back.

Nabs

Arturo Sanchez ‏@nycfurby 3m
Team PIE SSF4AE session going down at @PIE_Lee_Chung 's house at approximately 5pm. Let people know.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
James Chen's finest moment.
I think my favorite chensor moment was when he was still visibly salty as hell about somehow finishing in 4th place in a tournament that he got to losers final in (which guarantees 3rd place)... like more than 10 years after the fact.

It's just so quintessential Chen: caring too much about things that don't matter, but in a somewhat endearing way. (Respect the lore!)

Top Bottom