• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 3-9 | Why doesn't Bungie make fighting games?

oh shit. Wao coming to SCR

First time in the states right?

Always think of this...and it fits so well:

woah-thumbwtk88.jpg

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
remember last year at this time the community was exploring the "TO's secretly exploit players and make hundreds of thousands of dollars" conspiracy

LOL
Watching Jaxel buy into that and burn a lot of bridges, here on GAF no less, was kind of a weird moment.

I don't know if it's because I just got cheered up over some personal shit just now, or if it's because I have some baller 7-11 nachos next to me, but I feel like throwing another GAF Marvel Tournament. With prizes for 1st place on each side this time as an incentive to keep people playing.

For those who did participate last time (or people who lurked, or some of the TOs that post here), I noticed that there weren't many complaints on how I ran things aside from a couple hiccups in scheduling. That being said, any suggestions on how to improve it from last time will be read and possibly considered. I don't have a time-frame on when I'll be making it yet, but if people's schedules are open soon then I'll make it happen. The tournament thread from last time: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506789&highlight=

And no, I will not be doing Gafbats. Get another chump to do that shit.

I don't know if it's because I just got cheered up over some personal shit just now, or if it's because I have some baller 7-11 nachos next to me, but I feel like throwing another GAF Marvel Tournament. With prizes for 1st place on each side this time as an incentive to keep people playing.

For those who did participate last time (or people who lurked, or some of the TOs that post here), I noticed that there weren't many complaints on how I ran things aside from a couple hiccups in scheduling. That being said, any suggestions on how to improve it from last time will be read and possibly considered. I don't have a time-frame on when I'll be making it yet, but if people's schedules are open soon then I'll make it happen. The tournament thread from last time: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506789&highlight=

I thought everything was fine last time.

Edit: actually, one thing I would prefer to change: if I finish a round on Monday, I would prefer that the due date for my next match not be Monday just because I played it then. I would prefer a set schedule. If I play 3 rounds in the first week, let me be done for 3 week then. I think that last time there was real life stress created by that system.

Sigmaah

I'm tryna get in on this 360 side boi fuck at me.

I thought everything was fine last time.

Edit: actually, one thing I would prefer to change: if I finish a round on Monday, I would prefer that the due date for my next match not be Monday just because I played it then. I would prefer a set schedule. If I play 3 rounds in the first week, let me be done for 3 week then. I think that last time there was real life stress created by that system.

I think I get what you're saying. I'll try to keep that in mind.

smurfx

get some go again

i look forward to defending my title and hopefully without playing a single game this time!

casperOne

SCR 2014

Haven't watched an event trailer in a while. Last time I did, every trailer used dubstep. It sounds so weird without it now

That trailer is great. Love the music, fits very well with the presentation.

That and the cut to Gootecks and Mike Ross is just too good.

Keits

Developer
UFGT7 and 8 are two of the best tournaments I've seen (from a stream viewer perspective). I thought last year was missing that sense of fun and unique identity (perhaps because of divekick, which of course makes sense).

Hopefully we get one last great show.

Divekick was only on stream for 2.5 hours.

FSLink

Banned

Sounds good. I may donate a prize in or something like XBL or PSN points just to get more people to play.

Also I never lost last time but had to bow out due to internet issues. Come at me guys! I welcome the competition. :p

Divekick was only on stream for 2.5 hours.

It wasn't the volume, it was more that it replaced the pre-show which I saw as a downer.

Like I said before, it made perfect sense at the time. But it also took away a lot of what made the tournament feel special and different.

Shouta

Mando's stream setup for Gundam is so damn amazing. It's exactly what I want to do. Gonna have to do a bit more research and set some money aside for it, lol.

iori9999

Banned
man our places in new orleans had some lol ass scummy stories

girls giving head in the bathrooms

pimps running game out of places for a time

"no infinites or you will get shot" matches

"i will money match you for 100 but you cant play X you can only play Y"

TMI bro!

Being in Detroit is no picnic either.. Yes CORN is from here T_T

Zissou

I have an extra Metal Slug 3 steam beta code I can toss in the prize pool if that's something people would be interested in.

Loona

I wouldn't be shocked if Capcom makes the next-gen one Capcom vs Capcom so they don't have to deal with this again- I don't think it would hurt sales that much.

Real what-if , what if they made a Marvel-style Capcom vs SNK?

NGBC and KoF already have tag mechanics they could adapt, and SNK characters not originally from fighting games, like classic Athena and Marco from Metal Slug would be simple enough to scale up to a Marvel-ish system, it'd do them more justice than MGBC did when it made them compete woth more grounded FG characters.
I'd want Top Hunter reps there!

Silky

Banned
Are PSN's trophies supposed to be this broken? It won't sync my trophies to the server, so for some reason I can't boot up AE when it tries to load trophies

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Heh, so apparently this guy named Arthur Chu has been on Jeopardy several times winning while relying just as much on game theory than trivia knowledge and buzzer speed, and people are angry, saying he's cheating or disrespecting the game.

It's like somebody discovered how to throw and people are salty they can't sit in block.

Zissou

Heh, so apparently this guy named Arthur Chu has been on Jeopardy several times winning while relying just as much on game theory than trivia knowledge and buzzer speed, and people are angry, saying he's cheating or disrespecting the game.

It's like somebody discovered how to throw and people are salty they can't sit in block.

I would actually like to hear more about this, haha.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I would actually like to hear more about this, haha.
I just heard a quick story about it on the radio. During the interview he discussed bouncing between subjects so his opponents don't get a feel for the subject and going for the bottom two rows of values early and often to pick up Daily Double chances. Not so much to win them, but to prevent others from getting them. Leading to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LwagLLbEMs

Zissou

I just heard a quick story about it on the radio. During the interview he discussed bouncing between subjects so his opponents don't get a feel for the subject and going for the bottom two rows of values early and often to pick up Daily Double chances. Not so much to win them, but to prevent others from getting them. Leading to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LwagLLbEMs

This is great- I wish I had heard about his earlier. I want real links to people's salt about his play!

OceanBlue

SCR 2014

Haven't watched an event trailer in a while. Last time I did, every trailer used dubstep. It sounds so weird without it now

Michael-tan too! YBK stands for Yubiken, right? It's awesome that they're helping Japanese players make it over to the US to play.

LakeEarth

It also sucks for the viewer because you also can't get a feel for categories. His style is the Morrigan/Doom of Jeopardy.

Top Bottom