• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 30 - Apr 5 | BonCHAMP

Nyoro SF

Really, what happened? High expectation? No Mega Man?

Well, you don't have to worry about Street Fighter V roster threads since I felt that the roster discussion is lacking the hype so I presume it's because of the game not being cross-over.

Since fighting games are defined by their rosters, roster discussion DOMINATES ALL OTHERS so you can't talk about a single other thing.

It's stifling, brings out the worst in people, brings out the most worthless posts and ultimately makes zero difference for characters included in a game or not. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, nearly all fighting game rosters are decided very much up front long before any fan can open their mouth and begin their master thesis on side characters that made one appearance on a bootleg television show.

That's why I was sooooo happy that roster nutjobs jumped into their own SFV thread so I could hide it immediately.

Every single Xrd thread on GAF, regardless of the content of the news... you can guess what happened every time. Same goes for Smash threads.

Somewhere in Anaheim, I have my guesses that it was the Hyatt House near Disneyland.

Goddamnit, dude. Don't tell me that.

I could've walked from the convention floor I'm going to be at straight into the event. If it was going to be there, I was going to be across the street the entire weekend.

Now I gotta take PTO and shit and pay for another(well, technically, I'm getting reimbursed for the hotel during the convention) hotel.

I might not even go now that it's rescheduled.

Since fighting games are defined by their rosters, roster discussion DOMINATES ALL OTHERS so you can't talk about a single other thing.

It's stifling, brings out the worst in people, brings out the most worthless posts and ultimately makes zero difference for characters included in a game or not. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, nearly all fighting game rosters are decided very much up front long before any fan can open their mouth and begin their master thesis on side characters that made one appearance on a bootleg television show.

That's why I was sooooo happy that roster nutjobs jumped into their own SFV thread so I could hide it immediately.

Every single Xrd thread on GAF, regardless of the content of the news... you can guess what happened every time. Same goes for Smash threads.

...damn, I wonder what would've happened if there were separate Smash 4 roster discussion threads

Azure J

...damn, I wonder what would've happened if there were separate Smash 4 roster discussion threads

All the PotD threads would probably equal less than half of the 20K post thread through the two year run of the PotD.

Meanwhile Roster Discussion Thread 24 would probably have Evilore banning people personally if they utter the words Smash Bros anywhere else on the site.

Evilore banning people personally if they utter the words Smash Bros anywhere else on the site.

AGmvlBA.jpg

All the PotD threads would probably equal less than half of the 20K post thread through the two year run of the PotD.

Meanwhile Roster Discussion Thread 24 would probably have Evilore banning people personally if they utter the words Smash Bros anywhere else on the site.

mention Ridley, get Retro'd

Kappa

What really drives me.nuts are the people who talk about roster.stuff for months, and then drop the game for the next.hype thing in a.month. Pathetic.

Sayah

Some customizations seen so far are also being straight up copy/paste recycled from TTT2.

Top that off with mostly average new character designs, my hype was a little deflated for this game.

But the stage design and graphics look the best out of any fighter ever and the gameplay system is still going to be top notch deep despite the accommodations being made for newcomers so I'm still excited for the game.

Azure J

As an aside, I generally like roster talk when we're actually talking about move sets or play styles you hope to see in an upcoming title. It just sucks when things like that get downplayed because of desires to see characters because of their character. Combine that with some folks inability to self-censor or moderate themselves and it gets ugly real fast.

Dandy J

wow as it turns out, a lot of other moves in t7 seems to be copied as well. for example, kazuyas 112 looks really similar to kazuyas 112 in tekken 5, AND tekken 6! and tekken tag 2. how deep does the rabbit hole go? have you guys found any other copied moves? keep your eyes peeled

Sayah

wow as it turns out, a lot of other moves in t7 seems to be copied as well. for example, kazuyas 112 looks really similar to kazuyas 112 in tekken 5, AND tekken 6! and tekken tag 2. how deep does the rabbit hole go? have you guys found any other copied moves? keep your eyes peeled

Is this a troll post? lol

Or sarcasm?

As an aside, I generally like roster talk when we're actually talking about move sets or play styles you hope to see in an upcoming title. It just sucks when things like that get downplayed because of desires to see characters because of their character. Combine that with some folks inability to self-censor or moderate themselves and it gets ugly real fast.

well let's be real, the latter always comes before the former because nobody ever advocates for a character they dislike, so it's only natural that it does take center stage

NEO0MJ

well let's be real, the latter always comes before the former because nobody ever advocates for a character they dislike, so it's only natural that it does take center stage

Plus, in a crossover game one of the main reasons people buy them is for the fanservice and characters so it isn't surprising that topic dominates the talk.

Mortal Kombat 9 was already bigger than vanilla SFIV.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...likely-outperformed-vanilla-street-fighter-4/

I think a lot or some of you like to base a fighting game's success on USA-centric tourney attendance and stream views during grand finals but that reflects an extremely small minority.

What MKX won't have is sales from Australia and some parts of Europe and Asia. But despite that, it's still going to do really well.

Actually I asked a NRS representative during the press tour in Paris and he said it was now above 4 millions.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Yep, that's true. Some people always value the rosters in fighting games because it would break the deal or not for them. Yep, I'm totally aware with the fact that they always completed roster list during development documents phase before they move forward to development with the team.

Guilty as charged, I'm the nutjob that made Street Fighter V Roster Discussion. Despite the fact that I agreed with you but roster hype is a part of fun for me, along with reading people's discussion about game plays. I suck at having a discussion about gameplay details, frames, engine, etc so I always leave it to other people who know their stuffs. It don't really meant that I don't understand it since I just simply suck at talking about it.

I'm curious with the feature so how can you hide the thread?

It might become unbearable with a lot of arguments about characters. I meant, it helped a lot when we have other subjects to discuss about instead of focusing on the character discussions all the way. I'm pretty sure that we would have more Ridley arguments if it happened.

I doubt that. I would says we might get 2 or 3 POTD threads since there might be more people that want to discuss about it. I know some people avoided the thread because of characters argument itself. If we actually split it into two different threads then we could have got different results with the discussions.

What really drives me.nuts are the people who talk about roster.stuff for months, and then drop the game for the next.hype thing in a.month. Pathetic.

Yep, that's what happened to Smash Bros right now. I don't even seen most of people that posted a lot during POTD Hype still stuck around with us.

I believe that it did happened to MVC3/UMVC3 as well. I'm guilty that I didn't post much in OT but I have been playing MVC3/UMVC3 pretty frequently until Smash 3DS came out.

I did dropped Street Fighter x Tekken for long time since I returned my copy to the store under false advertising then I ended up bought the game recently. Netcode for SF x TK is pretty bad. I think it's way worse than it was before 2013 update came out.

I love roster talk but I just don't like it when people become TOO invested with roster discussion because it usually end up pretty bad because people have their opinions about the rosters or characters itself.

For movesets, I always love to imagine the movesets for the characters that I would love to see to happens. I always imagined the potential movesets that those characters could have. I think I did shared some with MarvelGAF and SmashGAF but I'm not sure tho.

Plus, in a crossover game one of the main reasons people buy them is for the fanservice and characters so it isn't surprising that topic dominates the talk.

Pretty much.

Is this a troll post? lol

Or sarcasm?

pretty sure it's somehow both

where have you been for tuesday fight nights

And Capcom games really are barebones. But they're still technically competent and very fun.

Wut. SF4 and technically competent don't belong in the same sentence. A game as old as VSav has moves with randomly unblockable hitboxes. Fun, maybe. Technically competent, just no.

NEO0MJ

Why would you get it on last gen anyway? I kinda doubt you'll have many folks to play.

Maybe he can't afford a ps4/x1 and wants to play for the SP content and messing around with the characters?
He can buy the GOTY version later 😄

It's official

First DOA nude mode is out, featuring momiji

Kinda surprised. I was exexpecting either the lead,the one with the biggest bust, or the one with the smallest bust.

Shit is getting serious. Fuudo said if Xian picks Elena, he will use E.Ryu. So next big tournament they meet, expect to see that.

Whoa.

Not many top players left who stick to one character.

I think it's having a detrimental effect on high-level play. The kinds of shenanigans and sharpness that people who stick to a main (maaaybe one alt) is disappearing before our eyes. Used to be, people lost, thought about things, pressed rematch. Now they head straight for character select.

Doesn't help that I don't find watching the new Ultra characters much fun at all and they're really common pockets. It all just adds to the general snore factor.

Spacebar

What's going on with the On Blast Show? They haven't updated their YouTube in a while. They still doing the live shows?

xeolleth

Neo Member
We're developing a new application for USF4 PC users. A small one centred around Lobby monitoring and management.

It'll include a monitor that checks if someone has joined your lobby and switches the Street Fighter 4 window to the foreground automatically. It also will play a wee notification sound when someone joins the open lobby.

As well as that we're creating a Lobby black list option, so you can kick or be notified of trolls automatically by their SteamID and NOT their player name that is so easily changed and masked in Steam.
This way you won't have to deal with trolls or drop hackers once you have added them to your personal black list.

We think the latter feature will help broadcasters and streamers mainly, but as with all Frame Trapped features it'll be completely free and available to everyone on release.

Can anyone think of any features or feedback for this program that we can work on before releasing to the masses?

BadWolf

I think it's having a detrimental effect on high-level play. The kinds of shenanigans and sharpness that people who stick to a main (maaaybe one alt) is disappearing before our eyes. Used to be, people lost, thought about things, pressed rematch. Now they head straight for character select.

Doesn't help that I don't find watching the new Ultra characters much fun at all and they're really common pockets. It all just adds to the general snore factor.

Very true, though at this level and with that much money on the line it is definitely the logical approach.

What's holding it back for Daigo is probably that embarrassing episode he had against Xian that one time.

Markman said he's bringing back the OG TE sticks in the Arcade Sick thread.
Maybe MC is looking to bring back the $150 price point to match Hori for current gen offerings.

Top Bottom