• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 30 - Apr 5 | BonCHAMP

mbpm1

Well basically, Members can't be permabanned, but Retro_ managed to get the smackdown anyway.

Also Frauds Among US

Nyoro SF

Dude what the hell is that about? People keep alluding to it but nobody wants to say

Just imagine this type of scenario, and then fill in the names of the characters.
Hint: The guy with the black hair is Retro.

9bCfkpi.gif

mbpm1

Retro_ got hit with the lvl 3 Red Focus into extended combo into Unblockable Setup.

Into stun into death.

Don't be Retro_

Don't vote for the title Frauds Among Us

How you guys feel about MKX so far? I saw some people on eventhubs comment section were saying that MKX will be massive. Might be big as SFIV if not more. Internationally i can't see it happening but what you guys think US wise?

Tripon

How you guys feel about MKX so far? I saw some people on eventhubs comment section were saying that MKX will be massive. Might be big as SFIV if not more. Internationally i can't see it happening but what you guys think US wise?

The NRS community doesn't have a good record turning casuals into tourney goers. That's what separates SFIV, Marvel and the Smash games from other fighting series.

AAK

If MKX is successful they definitely deserve it. Even after the BS pre order nonsense.. Netherrealms put insane amounts of effort into that title.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Speaking of pre-order BS, if I want to obtain one *full* copy of MKX for local tournaments, what do I need? I haven't really been keeping up with that.

If MKX is successful they definitely deserve it. Even after the BS pre order nonsense.. Netherrealms put insane amounts of effort into that title.

I agree, and i feel like capcom has their work cut out for them if they want to have anything remotely close to mkx sales wise. MK like it or not set a new standard on what casuals should expect from a fighting game. And if capcom wants to sell copies they gotta follow NRS's formula on how to grab those casual fans who makes up 99% of the total buyer.

AAK

Speaking of pre-order BS, if I want to obtain one *full* copy of MKX for local tournaments, what do I need? I haven't really been keeping up with that.

Pre order the game from any place that gives you Goro.

The rest of the things should be available on PSN.

Lemstar

You're going to need to buy the season pass for the DLC characters regardless; just preorder the game. If you need a disc copy, Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked stacks with the $10 certificate preorder bonus for $38. If you're alright with digital, there's a bundle on XBL/PSN including the game and the season pass for $80 ($10 off).

Either way, you'll be buying -something- digitally; get discounted credit to save some extra money.

phaonaut

Seems like wishful thinking. I'll be playing it, if netcode is good (plz lord) I'll stick with it. I like NRS games though, but its not everyones cup of tea. The character variations alone have me excited, also means discovery period will be very interesting.

MKX will pretty much be the most successful MK game ever, in more ways than one. However, I don't think it will be as big as SFIV, not competitively anyway. It's got some hills to climb in that aspect.

Sayah

Mortal Kombat 9 was already bigger than vanilla SFIV.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...likely-outperformed-vanilla-street-fighter-4/

I think a lot or some of you like to base a fighting game's success on USA-centric tourney attendance and stream views during grand finals but that reflects an extremely small minority.

What MKX won't have is sales from Australia and some parts of Europe and Asia. But despite that, it's still going to do really well.

Mortal Kombat 9 was already bigger than vanilla SFIV.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...likely-outperformed-vanilla-street-fighter-4/

I think a lot or some of you like to base a fighting game's success on USA-centric tourney attendance and stream views during grand finals but that reflects an extremely small minority.

What MKX won't have is sales from Australia and some parts of Europe and Asia. But despite that, it's still going to do really well.

Sales wise it doesn't surprise me one bit. Mk always offered a lot of content for people who never play FGs Everyday gamer tend to gravitate toward mk more due to all the quality single player offerings. While capcom games are more pvp focused and barebones when it comes to single player content.

Sayah

Sales wise it doesn't surprise me one bit. Mk always offered a lot of content for people who never play FGs Everyday gamer tend to gravitate toward mk more due to all the quality single player offerings. While capcom games are more pvp focused and barebones when it comes to single player content.
Yeah, there's a large fanbase for MK even if those people aren't fighting game enthusiasts. I have friends who just enjoy the gore aspect and generally don't buy any fighting games.

And Capcom games really are barebones. But they're still technically competent and very fun.

With that said, I am annoyed everytime SFIV sales and its impact comes into discussion. It's always exaggerated like it revived the entire genre out of death or something and accomplished something no other game has.

Revived the tourney scene? Yes.
Revived the genre? F' Outta Here! If you completely ignore series like SoulCalibur, Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, Tekken, and Mortal Kombat having a constant stream of sequels that each sold millions while SF was dead, then yes SFIV revived the genre.

vocab

Worse than Marvel.

I don't agree at all.

Marvel barely ran at its native frame rate offline (ps3), so it was amplified when it was online. A good MK9 connection was playable. I can hit my combos and tech throws. Marvel was never playable for me period. It felt like a 20-30 fps game. The particle effects made the game so jarring. Man, no one tested that game at all. Some characters you cant even use online simply because its not possible to do their combos.

I will say this though. Both games had some serious technical issues limited by dated hardware, and just horrible online in general Ranked match never worked ever in mk9. How anyone got 10 ranked wins in a row is beyond my comprehension. I spent 45 minutes looking for a match one time. It never worked period.

I would put MK9 ahead of marvel on the tier list for online simply because the framerate wasn't shitting itself every second. Kof13...I dunno that game is hard as fuck offline. I don't think any online period would help that game be a good alternative for offline. The PC version is better, and I've seen people hit 1 frame links and shit, but man...the games just too fast for variable online play.

The only other game Id put in that tier was tekken 6. Between the loading, the poor menus that load, and the massive delay online...it was just a huge drag to play that game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I just decided to read Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 hype threads and Damn, I really miss those days. It was fun to discussing rosters with everyone together. SmashGAF and MarvelGAF were so good to me.

Hurry up Capcom. Announce Marvel Vs. Capcom 4 or Capcom Vs. Capcom.

hopefully mk10 has better net code. game isn't going to stay around too long if it has the same crappy net code as 9.

I don't remember where I read it but I recalled that they are not taking netcode as their top priority since they want to focus more on single player contents. I could be wrong.

Nyoro SF

Marvel's roster discussions burned me out so badly that I immediately hide all roster threads on sight, regardless of game

Sayah

I just decided to read Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 hype threads and Damn, I really miss those days. It was fun to discussing rosters with everyone together. SmashGAF and MarvelGAF were so good to me.

Hurry up Capcom. Announce Marvel Vs. Capcom 4 or Capcom Vs. Capcom.

I hope it's Capcom vs. Capcom or a company more lenient with their characters. All those licensing agreements only got in the way of patches and proper updates.

But I would love a VS. game on PS4.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Marvel's roster discussions burned me out so badly that I immediately hide all roster threads on sight, regardless of game

Really, what happened? High expectation? No Mega Man?

Well, you don't have to worry about Street Fighter V roster threads since I felt that the roster discussion is lacking the hype so I presume it's because of the game not being cross-over.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Still not as bad as Smash roster threads.

I don't think it's bad comparing to some forums' threads, however I will never forget Takamaru Monday ever in my life time.

I hope it's Capcom vs. Capcom or a company more lenient with their characters. All those licensing agreements only got in the way of patches and proper updates.

But I would love a VS. game on PS4.

I do too. I would like to have constant updates for their versus game like they did with Street Fighter IV, and I'm pretty sure that they would do same thing for Street Fighter V.

Still not as bad as Smash roster threads.

"only possible Awakening rep is Chrom!"-lots of people before the Robin/Lucina reveal

imagine if that stock icon for Ridley had leaked before the boss reveal, the preemptive gloating followed by the saltiest meltdowns would have been legendary

Azure J

"only possible Awakening rep is Chrom!"-lots of people before the Robin/Lucina reveal

imagine if that stock icon for Ridley had leaked before the boss reveal, the preemptive gloating followed by the saltiest meltdowns would have been legendary

"Kremlings in Smash Run" led to a lot of really really crazy shit.

Also, I still think Nintendo fucked up not letting that video drop during EVO. It had the perfect content to really turn heads and to just get announced and dropped out of the blue the day after was just a missed opportunity no matter how hilarious the outcome.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

pCmGvsO.png

that would be so glorious if it happened but I would feel bad for Ridley fans tho.

"Kremlings in Smash Run" led to a lot of really really crazy shit.

Also, I still think Nintendo fucked up not letting that video drop during EVO. It had the perfect content to really turn heads and to just get announced and dropped out of the blue the day after was just a missed opportunity no matter how hilarious the outcome.

Remember people thought Ice Climbers were 100% in because of Polar Bear being in Smash Run. That would be amazing but they wouldn't catering to only one regional fanbase, EVO aka American fan bases, which is just weird because they did exactly same thing with Shulk for Japan only Direct.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm getting a really good vibe from the promotion of the game that it's going to be a huge hit. Seems like they're hitting every single note they need to hit as well (getting story dudes excited, feature set, guest characters, sufficient/marginally improved character models and animation).

With the next gen consoles selling so fast as well I can only see this momentum being rewarded.

Yup. This pretty much extends to what-if Marvel scenarios in general for me, even for non-gaming stuff. Cyclical arguments for years.

But yeah, I would have to agree that it's not as bad as having to deal with Nintendo fan wish lists which are pretty much bottom of the barrel.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yup. This pretty much extends to what-if Marvel scenarios in general for me, even for non-gaming stuff. Cyclical arguments for years.

I can't really see people arguing about Marvel Vs. Capcom 4 this time because new roster might be predictable to figure out for Marvel side. They probably would feature almost all characters from MCU, along with some popular characters from Versus franchise, such as Doctor Doom and Magneto.

However, I can't really say same thing for Capcom.

For If Marvel scenarios or Marvel Arguments, I usually stay out of this because I'm not kind of person that would like to argue just sake of it. I just want to enjoy the movies, books and game as what it is.

Top Bottom