• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Tournament Weekend: Norcal Regionals CEO Dreamland Hypespotting 04/14-04/16

Kumubou

I'm not really sure what your point is tbh. It's expected for a game to have lower attendance numbers when it no longer has the fresh new car smell. A while back For Honor was the hot new thing and now not so much.
This only really applies for traditional retail ship-and-forget games which very few successful competitive games currently use. The point of moving to Games as a Service as a release model for games is to have an initial launch and then grow from that launch, either immediately or after you address issues that cause you to bleed players. If your peak userbase is at launch for a Games as a Service style release, you fucked up and failed. That's not what healthy games with long term support do right after launch.

I guess if you think needless negativity is a positive contribution to a discussion, that's on you. I'm not really sure what value someone posting "The community has no obligation to prop up trash games... SF5 absolutely deserves to get dumpstered... SF5 as it currently is deserves nothing" has, though.

Criticism is one thing. Constructive criticism is a positive force. I'm not saying SFV is a perfect game or doesn't have flaws. IMO people shitposting about a game that other people like is toxic and damaging to the community. Just let people play the game that they want to play. I played SF4 for almost about 6 years and started to hate it at the end. Just because I hated it, does that give me the right to tell everyone else that their opinion is invalid and that the game is trash?

Obviously everyone has their right to their own opinion and obviously it's a forum that facilitates free discussion, but negativity is awful for community development.
I could go into more detail about why I think SF5 is a dumpster fire of a release, but it's something that I've done multiple times already and I think it would be fruitless at this point (if it's something that would even be read). That and all of the constructive criticism in the world will be for naught because the organization that needs to execute the required changes is some combination of unwilling and/or unable to make those changes.

Ultimately, I probably should move on -- if you enjoy the game, enjoy it for what it is, while it lasts. That's ultimately none of my business. It just greatly irritates me to see a community and a genre that I've put a lot of time (and a fair amount of money) into with people that I had a connection with piss away opportunity after opportunity through the unforced errors of people and organizations they have little to no control over. The shitposting isn't just done for shits and giggles.

creatchee

I could go into more detail about why I think SF5 is a dumpster fire of a release, but it's something that I've done multiple times already and I think it would be fruitless at this point (if it's something that would even be read). That and all of the constructive criticism in the world will be for naught because the organization that needs to execute the required changes is some combination of unwilling and/or unable to make those changes.

SFV is the Roman Reigns of fighting games.

Dahbomb

Watching this SF4 replay now.

Momochi does like 4-5 wake up DPs against Abel before finally dying. If this was SFV then he was dead after the second one.

FChamp saying that Marvel top 3 of all time is "obvious" with ChrisG being the best overall. Does he not realize that Ryan would humble him easily in the rare event that Champ ever goes far in a tournament again?

creatchee

FChamp saying that Marvel top 3 of all time is "obvious" with ChrisG being the best overall. Does he not realize that Ryan would humble him easily in the rare event that Champ ever goes far in a tournament again?

I dunno... It's hard not to have an argument for Justin at number one.

Dahbomb

FChamp already got clapped by RyanLV in Winners finals.

This is all time list though not current. All time list has to have 3 EVO winners in it.

Vice

The bestbplayers haven't taken the game seriously for about two years. I like a serious Champ, Chris G, Wong and a few others over RyanLV any day of the week.

MechaX

I would have preferred a RyanLV and Chris G run back, but meh.

Chris, clean this up real quick so we can get to Tekken.

Dahbomb

RyanLV could still beat peak Justin Wong and could go toe to toe with peak FChamp. Would definitely beat peak Flocker and PRRog.

He is seriously very good at the game. Very refined, solid play. But I don't think he can beat peak ChrisG though.

Honestly though it's good that RyanLV suffered this loss right now. Would give him something to think about going into EVO. Otherwise he would've kept streaking, may have gotten soft (and his play definitely wasn't air tight today) and would've lost early at EVO sort of like how ChrisG did when he was streaking too.

mbpm1

Tournament Standard time: things always start an hour after expected. Especially if Smash is in the mix and goes overtime.

MrCarter

This only really applies for traditional retail ship-and-forget games which very few successful competitive games currently use. The point of moving to Games as a Service as a release model for games is to have an initial launch and then grow from that launch, either immediately or after you address issues that cause you to bleed players. If your peak userbase is at launch for a Games as a Service style release, you fucked up and failed. That's not what healthy games with long term support do right after launch.

Damn, what's with the constant negativity? If you don't enjoy the game that's fine but let's not make up "facts" just because you don't like the game. There are a LOT of service based games out there however this title is actually the first in the fighting game genre to do it on such a big scale, but that obviously doesn't prevent it from losing some shine after a while - as it is with most FG games. Also, the point of this service model for SFV is for all players to stay on the same page without iterations (like SFIV/GG), have balance and feature updates and to able to earn some DLC and characters for free - all things which players from the previous installment wanted. Not saying it's perfect but it's a step in the right direction.

Top Bottom