• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Producer Explains why they signed a PS5 timed exclusive contract with SIE! via 4Gamer

GHG

Or better yet, why isn't Valve or Epic doing this with third-party devs?

Epic do. Valve don't pay developers/publishers for their titles to be on their platform. If a game happens to only realease on Steam and no other PC storefronts that's coincidental and the choice make by the publisher/developer without outside influence.

Both Nvidia and AMD also offer support for sponsored titles.

Last edited:

Rea

I'm sure any console maker (Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo) will provide support to 3rd party games, specially if it's a AAA game.
Whitney Houston GIF

BbMajor7th

That people still think the CEO writes a fat cheque for this stuff is hilarious... partnerships are almost always 'co-marketing deals' with joint spend commitments. Third parties are all over this because platform holders have a much greater promotional reach than publishers (the reason why so many big publishers have attempted to build their own platforms).

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Sethbacca

It’s really a mystery how people end up not buying in droves a game from a big publisher when it gets ported to their platform years after the original exclusive release.
Especially games from a publisher that counts only launch window sales and considers a few million sales a middling result at best, if not an outright failure.
The XBox crowd have always been more associated with shooters anyway, not like RPGs are typically a big draw on the platform. I do think MS push to Gamepass everything on the platform is going to come back to bite them as they're basically training their fans to not buy anything and just wait for it to show up on gamepass. Outside of some outlier deals, most publishers would probably make more money publishing first on other platforms to get whatever sales they can, then take a Gamepass deal.

I've got a series S just because they were so cheap over the holidays, and I got 3 years worth of game pass for 100 bucks or so to go with it, so I'm not console warring simply making an observation. MS is almost certainly going to be losing money on people like me who have zero intent to ever purchase anything on the platform and probably got their hardware with MS selling it to us at a loss. On the other hand I spend tons of money on my PS5, but even PS moving to a GamePass similar platform has me questioning my purchases and whether I can wait for stuff to show up on PS Plus at a much later date.

That said, at the moment, I'm definitely planning to throw money at FF XVI.

SkylineRKR

The XBox crowd have always been more associated with shooters anyway, not like RPGs are typically a big draw on the platform. I do think MS push to Gamepass everything on the platform is going to come back to bite them as they're basically training their fans to not buy anything and just wait for it to show up on gamepass. Outside of some outlier deals, most publishers would probably make more money publishing first on other platforms to get whatever sales they can, then take a Gamepass deal.

I've got a series S just because they were so cheap over the holidays, and I got 3 years worth of game pass for 100 bucks or so to go with it, so I'm not console warring simply making an observation. MS is almost certainly going to be losing money on people like me who have zero intent to ever purchase anything on the platform and probably got their hardware with MS selling it to us at a loss. On the other hand I spend tons of money on my PS5, but even PS moving to a GamePass similar platform has me questioning my purchases and whether I can wait for stuff to show up on PS Plus at a much later date.

That said, at the moment, I'm definitely planning to throw money at FF XVI.

Its true I buy less games for PS5 also since they have the Plus tiers. So far it paid off with Deathloop and Horizon 2, both I didn't want to buy at launch for full buck. But actually, most games I play aren't on these services day one. The games I played the last 12 months were Elden Ring, GT7, NMH3, Tactics Ogre, Ishin, Sonic Frontiers, Forspoken, MW2. None of these appeared on services day one, and perhaps still aren't there. The next games in line are likely RE4, SFVI and FFXVI. Those are not on GP day one, or ever.

Gamepass has exclusives day one, which sounds great... but my GP ran for a bit over 2 years and I've played 2 of them. Halo Infinite and FH5. Now, if Sony would've done this... we would've had Ragnarok, GT7, Horizon 2, TLOU R just last year.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Square LOVES timed exclusivity money.

More so than any other third party AAA publisher, so this talk about Sony lending technical support - as if that’s a big factor, is laughable. In reality Sony has to jump in and offer help, because Square has shown time and time again they don’t give two shits about the end product.

Sony doesn’t want another Forspoken situation. Modern Square can’t release an optimized game to save their lives. They suck.

Last edited:
So many words for just one: money
Couldn't agree more. Money gained from signing that 6 months exclusivity deal. Money saved by not wasting man hours trying to fix an issue that someone else already had a solution for. Money saved not having to promote and advertise yourself.

In short, it's about the money.

Top Bottom