• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

three_muffins

Gold Member
I dont get the demands for a hard difficulty node.
Very often when you ask for an easier difficulty in soulslike games you get the same answer. "Its how the developer wish the game to be played / its ist meant to be played this way."

Why ist that not applicable with ffxvi. Its difficulty ist just the way the devs wanted the game to be played / to be experienced.
😁

If you dont like it....not every game ist meant for all gamers.

Last edited:

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
I dont get the demands for a hard difficulty node.
Very often when you ask for an easier difficulty in soulslike games you get the same answer. "Its how the developer wish the game to be played / its ist meant to be played this way."

Why ist that not applicable with ffxvi. Its difficulty ist just the way the devs wanted the game to be played / to be experienced.
😁

If you dont like it....not every game ist meant for all gamers.
The hard difficulty is only accessible after the first play through, which is bullshit. Just like your argument, bullshit.

Fabieter

Nothing said there mentions that you will manage a party. If you switch between characters in the sense that the one you are currently controlling, and only that one, changes well, we already had that in the demo. We do play as Joshua for a little while.

And that's not party management.

Do you also miss the old class based system of final fantasy because party mangement was pretty basic after ff V.

Nautilus

Banned
Do you also miss the old class based system of final fantasy because party mangement was pretty basic after ff V.
I love it, but its not a necessity, given how deep the gameplay systems are in FF VI, 7,9 and 10. And you can manage your party by selecting which team member to have in your active party.

Fabieter

I love it, but its not a necessity, given how deep the gameplay systems are in FF VI, 7,9 and 10. And you can manage your party by selecting which team member to have in your active party.

They still made it easier and easier. 7 and 8 only had 3 party members, no positioning needed with 7 onwards and the class system was super basic. The best turn based ff system is in fact x-2.

tryDEATH

I haven't played the game and only watched a few videos, but does it only seem like the enemies are unnecessarily spongy and are there to make you look cool in extended combat sequences or is the balance just right when you're actually playing the game.

Nautilus

Banned
They still made it easier and easier. 7 and 8 only had 3 party members, no positioning needed with 7 onwards and the class system was super basic. The best turn based ff system is in fact x-2.
Don't agree in the slightest, but lets agree to disagree then.

Aenima

I haven't played the game and only watched a few videos, but does it only seem like the enemies are unnecessarily spongy and are there to make you look cool in extended combat sequences or is the balance just right when you're actually playing the game.
Normal enemies die very fast, only bosses and mini bosses with a stagger (yellow) bar take longer to kill, but they are also the most fun to fight cuz is where you want to spend your big damage skills moves and gives you time to do cool stuff. Either I was having too much fun with the combat or the boss battles in the demo actually felt short.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Gold Member
Normal enemies die very fast, only bosses and mini bosses with a stagger (yellow) bar take longer to kill, but they are also the most fun to fight cuz is where you want to spend your big damage skills moves and gives you time to do cool stuff. Either I was having too much fun with the combat or the boss battles in the demo actually felt short.
They do last a while but I didn't feel too long. My issue was more they were too easy, never felt at risk of dying even with mistakes

Nautilus

Banned
So we agree that this is a highly subjective topic and xvi is as much ff as any other mainline game before.
No, we don't. But I'm trying to politely end this discussion because its derailing the thread too much and you and others can't seem to accept the fact that people don't agree with you.

Thaedolus

I thought they felt just right. FFVIIR bosses felt like a chore

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
I'm having... some issues with the opening of this game.
And no, none of it is because it's an action game, or because of framerate or resolution or some other dumbass contrivance some of these dimwits take issue with.

It's the pacing... it's messy. I particularly dislike this "Active Time Lore" bullshit. There is important info in there regarding the world that seems like it was shoe-horned in because they were unable to find a natural way to present it to the player.

Starting with that short Eikon sequence limited to 2 buttons was also terrible and I actually blame that partially on the marketing push for this game. The Eikons have taken center stage in all the marketing material and are supposedly considered to be some of the greatest spectacles in the game, yet it starts off with the limpest dick of a short on-rails sequence with no build up. Only for the camera to pan out and control taken away from the player. It's obviously a memory, a short flashback sequence. But it did nothing for me, there is no mystery to it. I already know what is happening there, you already know what's happening there, because it has been front and center of all the ads.

Then we get control of Clive and sure enough the game immediately thinks you're an idiot and tutorials pop up for movement and camera control. Then we just run to the next cutscene until we finally are presented with another flashback, where the actual game starts with young Clive and finally a battle tutorial. The flow of the game is constantly being interrupted with tutorial messages that pause the fucking game and force you to hit X to move on.

They could have skipped the whole opening sequence and just started with young Clive and worked up the story from that point, but no. They introduce a conflict that we have no real attachment for, there's no build up. Then a certain circumstance occurs where the main character "blacks out" and then straight to a flashback. It's messy.

As for the combat, I like it, but I can tell I'm going to steamroll through every encounter in this game on default difficulty. I hope they change their minds and allow the hard mode to be available at the start becuase the challenge and spectacle of the combat is what is going to ultimately drive me forward in this game. I'm not quite as optimistic as I was before playing the demo, that can still change though of course once the full game is out.

Nautilus

Banned
Hopefully BG3 will show publishers there is market for high-budget turn based rpgs
That's already happening. Yakuza 7, Persona 5 (and certainly will be true for P3 and Metaphor), Pokemon, BG 3, Fire Emblem Three Houses, DQ 11, Honkai Star Rail, and so many more.

It will only increase from here on out.

Madflavor

I honestly think this is one of the most well crafted video game demos we've ever seen.
  • First two hours of the game, introduces you to the setting, the story and the characters.
  • Progression carries over to the full game.
  • The ending leaves you wanting more.
  • Comes with an extra challenge to give you a real taste of the combat system.
You know a demo has done it's job when it's turned so many people around from being negative/lukewarm on the game, to buying Day 1.

Astray

I mistakenly turned on the accessbility feature that adds waveforms on the sides of the screen, which then led to a brief moment of panic where I thought my OLED TV was glitching and adding green splotches to the 1st Phoenix vs Ifrit section before I realized it.

One of the bigger phew moment in my life lmfao.

buenoblue

Yeah I'm gonna pass for now after playing the demo. Performance was pretty bad and the game just doesn't look that great to me considering it's PS5 only. Really dark areas and no contrast to the image at all. By the end of the demo the story and combat did want me to play more but at £70 I'm just gonna wait for a few patches and a sale to like £40.

Yeah I'm gonna pass for now after playing the demo. Performance was pretty bad and the game just doesn't look that great to me considering it's PS5 only. Really dark areas and no contrast to the image at all. By the end of the demo the story and combat did want me to play more but at £70 I'm just gonna wait for a few patches and a sale to like £40.
I noticed this as well. Contrast is really poor in HDR, yes. Still, this demo feels so damned polished, and what an intro to the game. I'm going to push through the erratic fps in performance mode because I can tell the game is special.

Aenima

Surely some of these cutscenes are pre-rendered no? If they aren't and this is all real-time wow. Just wow.
Most are real time. But there are pre-rendered cutscenes too. I think in the demo the cutscene battle with Titan and Shiva is pre-rendered. I think they told only 5% of cutscenes will be pre-rendered.

Mr.Phoenix

No, we don't. But I'm trying to politely end this discussion because its derailing the thread too much and you and others can't seem to accept the fact that people don't agree with you.
The funny thing is that you are the one that cant seem to accept that others do not agree with you.

From a couple of threads ago...I think I said to you that if this FF is just not your type of FF then that's ok. Doesn't make it any less a FF game for those of us that are into it. like you (I m assuming), I have played every single FF game out there. And I started playing them as they were made... and even I could see how the series has evolved over the years and become less and less of what it is you seem to be wanting it to be.

I feel you have made your point very clear...you don't like the direction the franchise is going in. It is not for you. Its too dark... needlessly mature or whatever (at this point I have ost track of every negative thing you have said about it, cause trust me you have said them all).... that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

But why do you see the need to keep forcing it down our throats in every FFthread and sometimes, almost on every single page?

You are not the only one that has made it known they don't like this game.... but you are the only one (we, maybe there are like 3 of you) that seems to be being an ass about it. You seem to have a very unhealthy compulsion to keep coming into these FF threads even though you have made it clear where you stand since last year and then more recently since the preview thread.

Its disturbing really.... I tend to not go into threads of games that have no interest in... I don't know why you can't do the same.

Kazdane

Gold Member
I finally got yesterday night a chance to play it and I personally loved it. The regular prologue itself was pretty good, and I was expecting a high amount of cutscenes, so it didn't really bother me. But where the combat truly shines is in the mode that unlocks after it. It's great and it looks like they haven't hesitated pulling a few tricks from FF XIV (as in literally showing where the attacks of the enemy are going to land, so you can prepare to dodge). All in all, I was already going to get it Day 1 (as the huge FF fan I've always been) but this has made me even more eager to play it. Looking forward to seeing how the story continues and the higher difficulty modes (this one felt pretty simple even without the assist rings).

Madflavor

I know this isn't a hot take because it's been generally accepted that XIII and XV did not have good writing, but XVI reaaallly shines a light on how fucking awful the storytelling and characters were in those two games. XIII and XV liked to follow the "Rule of Cool" approach to story.

Does this make sense? Is this moment earned? Do players have a background on why this is happening? Who cares! Look at the shiny fucking graphics. Look at the CG Cutscenes. Look how cool this is!

By contrast FFXVI takes it's time introducing you to it's setting, plot and characters. It's far more comprehensible. I couldn't tell you jack shit about what was going on in the first two hours of FFXIII. But by the end of the FFXVI Prologue, I feel like I can talk at length about the Kingdom of Rosaria, The Rosfields, what the Eikons are, etc etc.

tmlDan

I know this isn't a hot take because it's been generally accepted that XIII and XV did not have good writing, but XVI reaaallly shines a light on how fucking awful the storytelling and characters were in those two games. XIII and XV liked to follow the "Rule of Cool" approach to story.

Does this make sense? Is this moment earned? Do players have a background on why this is happening? Who cares! Look at the shiny fucking graphics. Look at the CG Cutscenes. Look how cool this is!

By contrast FFXVI takes it's time introducing you to it's setting, plot and characters. It's far more comprehensible. I couldn't tell you jack shit about what was going on in the first two hours of FFXIII. But by the end of the FFXVI Prologue, I feel like I can talk at length about the Kingdom of Rosaria, The Rosfields, what the Eikons are, etc etc.

You're right, i cared more about Wade who i met for 15 min than i did some of the main crew in FF15 lol

somehow they feel more believable? i guess?

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Yeah I’m fine with style-over-substance anime storytelling (see avatar) but its nice to have a more grounded & articulate approach. FFXVI still falls into shounen trappings but I don’t see that as a bad thing when it executes on them so well. Clive & the overall setting are genuinely cool without a veneer applied; its actual high grade lumber.

The active time lore is also a better version of what FFXIII tried to do with its Datalogs. The Datalogs were key to understanding FFXIII’s plot & were dumped on the player rather indescretionately. FFXVI’s lore on the other hand makes you appreciate the world more, but the average player certainly don’t need to know exactly what the fuck a Mothercrystal is to enjoy the story unfolding.

Traxtech

Sitting in a hotel away from home playing this on the most garbage TV I have ever used and loved every second of the demo.

Especially that OST.. Holy shiiiiiiiit. No words.

Dying to play it on my 77 inch OLED at home!

Madflavor

Yeah I’m fine with style-over-substance anime storytelling (see avatar) but its nice to have a more grounded & articulate approach. FFXVI still falls into shounen trappings but I don’t see that as a bad thing when it executes on them so well. Clive & the overall setting are genuinely cool without a veneer applied; its actual high grade lumber.

The active time lore is also a better version of what FFXIII tried to do with its Datalogs. The Datalogs were key to understanding FFXIII’s plot & were dumped on the player rather indescretionately. FFXVI’s lore on the other hand makes you appreciate the world more, but the average player certainly don’t need to know exactly what the fuck a Mothercrystal is to enjoy the story unfolding.

Sometimes it can work for me too. I absolutely loved FFVII:R, but it did have heart, great characterization, and cheesiness that worked. It can be hard to pull off. FFXIII and FFXV took themselves far too seriously for their approach to their storytelling, at least in my opinion.

semiconscious

Gold Member
I thought the king was pretty charismatic and clive was ok, and they did a good job with other characters like benedikta or the queen.
For you this is worse than korean boyband pushing a car?
well, i did say 'as i can recall experiencing'. i've never even given ffxv a look-in. instant, permanent turn-off for me...

&, as far as the characters go, i confess that i was among those who actually thought for a bit that benedikta was the queen, which i'm not sure what to make of...

Teslerum

Lots of that also comes through from context. It may just take a bit longer.

Mothercrystals is one that will become very obvious the moment you see one for example.

The only issue I had in understanding. (Apart from the opening, but you’re not supposed to understand it yet. That comes when playing the game)
was the use of the word *Storm* in conversation.

That was bad because its not a word where you think *That’s a name for a place/continent* in english and the conversation itself wasn’t helpful in deciphering it.

That’s my only gripe and nitpick though.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

While in this story telling and world building discussion, I like the idea of the Active Time Lore (pause a cutscene and you can get some info about characters, places, subject discussed in the cutscene). Quite practical to get to know the characters at the beginning.
On the other hand I like when stuff are explained (implicitly or explicitly) in the game in a more "organic" way.
In one of the cutscenes, you get the explanation of what the "Bearers" are. I kind of wish I had the explanation directly told in the game rather than a "datalog" during a cutscene.

Still a nice idea.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
The funny thing is that you are the one that cant seem to accept that others do not agree with you.

From a couple of threads ago...I think I said to you that if this FF is just not your type of FF then that's ok. Doesn't make it any less a FF game for those of us that are into it. like you (I m assuming), I have played every single FF game out there. And I started playing them as they were made... and even I could see how the series has evolved over the years and become less and less of what it is you seem to be wanting it to be.

I feel you have made your point very clear...you don't like the direction the franchise is going in. It is not for you. Its too dark... needlessly mature or whatever (at this point I have ost track of every negative thing you have said about it, cause trust me you have said them all).... that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

But why do you see the need to keep forcing it down our throats in every FFthread and sometimes, almost on every single page?

You are not the only one that has made it known they don't like this game.... but you are the only one (we, maybe there are like 3 of you) that seems to be being an ass about it. You seem to have a very unhealthy compulsion to keep coming into these FF threads even though you have made it clear where you stand since last year and then more recently since the preview thread.

Its disturbing really.... I tend to not go into threads of games that have no interest in... I don't know why you can't do the same.
I'm not forcing that on anyone. Its my opinion and like you said, I'm entitled to it. If people don't like it, they can just disagree or ignore and move on to other topics or with the didcussion at hand with other users. The only reason that I'm still replying in this thread is because a minority of users here that love XVI can't get over the fact that there are many people out there that don't love the game as they do.

I love FF, and it breaks my heart seeing Square butcher the FF brand making games with an FF logo that are clearly not FF games. So whenever that happens, I'll be there. As long that this forum is about discussing videogames and giving opinions about them, I'll be there on topics that interest me. And FF interests me, turn based interests me, and turn based FF interests me. And I'll never shut up about it.

While in this story telling and world building discussion, I like the idea of the Active Time Lore (pause a cutscene and you can get some info about characters, places, subject discussed in the cutscene). Quite practical to get to know the characters at the beginning.
On the other hand I like when stuff are explained (implicitly or explicitly) in the game in a more "organic" way.
In one of the cutscenes, you get the explanation of what the "Bearers" are. I kind of wish I had the explanation directly told in the game rather than a "datalog" during a cutscene.

Still a nice idea.
I agree. I hope they add other stuff in a more organic way. However, I think the Active Time Lore (this name reminds me if FFIX btw) is a neat idea.

I can't find another way to access thst info, though. I hope there's something like that in the full game.

Top Bottom