• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

I noticed the framerate tanking when in the first area of the castle - was great up until then. Never played an FF game before - seemed ok. Kids were annoying (but then I have never got on with JPRGs due to the whimsical nature of the young bright eyed characters).

SkylineRKR

?? Which scene ?

I am not done yet with the demo. I am just when you control Joshua and haven't seen any sex scene, outside of the scene when the mother of Joshua try to get her husband in bed.

The very beginning is the Phoenix/Ifrit fight. Did I miss something ?

Kupka and Benedikta. She calls him Cock, and then they sort of bang against the wall.

GymWolf

Trash mobs die quickly and midboss are not really that spongy from what i played, people must play games on easy if they think these are spongy enemies.

Last edited:

TheCed

Really happy to read that a lot of people are really happy with the Demo.

It, however, don't enjoy it.
I've replayed it again trying to get a hang of the gameplay and it seems I just don't get it.

To me, XVI feels like pure Chaos that I don't understand and I don't seem to get it.
I've played and loved VIIRemake, KH, NieR, and other more Action JRPGs so I'm not against the idea, the gameplay of XVI just doesn't click for me.

Reading opinions around here, I understand that it's a Me thing and not a game issue.

I'm gonna keep trying, the story seems well written and interesting so this will end up being the main motivator.

Last edited:

saintjules

Really happy to read that a lot of people are really happy with the Demo.

It, however, don't enjoy it.
I've replayed it again trying to get a hang of the gameplay and it seems I just don't get it.

To me, XVI feels like pure Chaos that I don't understand and I don't seem to get.
I've played and loved VIIRemake, KH, NieR, and other more Action JRPGs so I'm not against the idea, the gameplay of XVI just doesn't click for me.

Reading opinions around here, I understand that it's a Me thing and not a game issue.

I'm gonna keep trying, the story seems well written and interesting so this will end up being the main motivator.

Don't force it if it isn't clicking for you. You'll now to try and buy the game at any price (full price or sale) and still not like it.

Perhaps give the combat a few more tries. If it doesn't work for you, skip it.

GymWolf

You're right, i cared more about Wade who i met for 15 min than i did some of the main crew in FF15 lol

somehow they feel more believable? i guess?
Lol same, i haven't finished the demo so i hope the dude doesn't die:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Prompto can suck my ass.

P.s. can people explain those active time lore thing, i probably missed when they explained what they were.
Can i read the lore from a menu or something?

Last edited:

tommycronin

Gold Member
b7355pV.gif

GymWolf

well, i did say 'as i can recall experiencing'. i've never even given ffxv a look-in. instant, permanent turn-off for me...

&, as far as the characters go, i confess that i was among those who actually thought for a bit that benedikta was the queen, which i'm not sure what to make of...
Benedicta has a cat face, the queen has a bitch face, easy to tell em apart, also they appear in 2 different moments, the cat in the future and the queen in the past.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

Banned
Don't force it if it isn't clicking for you. You'll now to try and buy the game at any price (full price or sale) and still not like it.

This is generally true, however it can be troubling with games that actually get much better later on. The Persona games are sort of notorious for this. The beginning turns a lot of people off when they would genuinely love the game if they stick through the first few hours.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Benedicra has a cat face, the queen has a bitch face, easy to tell em apart, also they appear in 2 different moments, the cat in the future and the queen in the past.
easy, eh? all i can say is it got past more people than myself. as for future/past? i just thought that the queen had become benedikta over the years. character-wise, not really all that hard to believe...

GymWolf

easy, eh? all i can say is it got past more people than myself. as for future/past? i just thought that the queen had become benedikta over the years. character-wise, not really all that hard to believe...
I feel like i'm being trolled here:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but it is pretty hard to think that someone could not recognize benedicta and the queen...

Btw i consider future the first part and past the second part, not sure about your confusion.

Last edited:

Schorschi

I didn't have that ring auto equipped. What difficulty did you select?

Otherwise I don't necessarily disagree with anything. I think the combat has potential to be fun but yeah some of the crowd fights weren't great. Also the locked on camera angle was weird.

Performance is also terrible, hopefully a day one patch will fix that.
This is an old code 1.01 its now 1.03

DelireMan7

P.s. can people explain those active time lore thing, i probably missed when they explained what they were.
Can i read the lore from a menu or something?
During cutscenes, pause and then press the middle touch button (don't know the name). You'll get info to read about what is discussed during the cutscene.

In the demo it's not accessible in menus yet but the tutorial says it will be later in the game.

TheCed

I'm intrigued by the story.
And a friend already pre ordered the game for me as a gift because he knows I've played every Final Fantasies.

So, I'm gonna give it a chance but yeah, if it does't work for me, I'm gonna switch to story mode and juste enjoy the story.

Sure ff7 had funny\strange moments but they really overdo with jesse in the remake.
I think that's by design and part of giving these characters more development. We learned that she was planning to be an actress at the Gold Saucer. She only stopped because of her dad getting sick.

Wedge makes it obvious she's just putting it on for the fun and to not buy it. "Life's the stage loves the play". She's just playing it up. I get that it's annoying but she knows Cloud is uncomfortable and is enjoying the role she's playing in that.

Either way, FF7 was always very anime and more simple in it's writing. I think that's a huge part of why it was easy for the west to get into it. FF7R has that same easy to get into feel about it.

Last edited:

semiconscious

Gold Member
I feel like i'm being trolled here:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but it is pretty hard to think that someone could not recognize benedicta and the queen...

Btw i consider future the first part and past the second part, not sure about your confusion.
no troll intended:
Okay just finished both sections of the demo.

I think the combat's interesting enough but still don't like just have Square button for attack.

Character face looks like generic FF14 character though. I even thought Clive mom is Benedikta lol...
as far as the time thing, yeah, i was probably just confused - my disappointment, by that point, was pretty great, & i'm guessing i'd fundamentally lost interest to an extent...

understand: as a long-time ff fan, & as someone who'd outright passed on ffxv (which also featured a playable- party-of-one prince protagonist), i was really hoping to like ffxvi. but, seriously? by the time we got to the

grotesquely over-the-top, feels-fueled fratricide scene

i was gone for good. just not my thing...

GymWolf

Evolving doesn't mean doing a 180 on everything FF stands for. FF 7 Remake was an evolution, that paid homage to the franchise and kept its core ideas (mostly) intact, but introduced new ideas. XVI is a new IP with a FF logo slapped on it.

That's why the fanbase is very vocal against it, and that's why there is so much pushback and controversy against it. The fans want FF to be FF again.

And for the fifth time, going action is not evolving, the same as being turn based isn't old school, Yakuza went from action to turn based, and nobody said it wasn't evolving. Turn based can evolve while still being turn based, and action based can evolve while still being action based.
You are a strange dude.

You don't like ff16 but you like how they "re-invented" ff7? An historic game turned into a 3 part milking operation, with an hybrid combat system and kingdom hearts level of plot changes...

Ff16 2 hours demo is already better than those 6 hours milked into 40 with shitty paced, nympho jesse and bottom tier sidequests potpourry they call remake...

If ff16 make you sad, that piece of shit should make you think about a double suicide unless you are also a super kingdom hearts fanboy:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

GymWolf

During cutscenes, pause and then press the middle touch button (don't know the name). You'll get info to read about what is discussed during the cutscene.

In the demo it's not accessible in menus yet but the tutorial says it will be later in the game.
Fuck me, i want to read those lore things now.

Such a strange thing to put those as missable things, they should just have a menu with the lore like many games.

Last edited:
You are a strange dude.

You don't like ff16 but you like how they "re-invented" ff7? An historic game turned into a 3 part milking operation, with an hybrid combat system and kingdom hearts level of plot changes...

Ff16 2 hours demo is already better than those 6 hours milked into 40 with shitty pace, nympho jesse and bottom tier sidequests they call remake...

If ff16 make you sad, that piece of shit should make you think about a double suicide unless you are also a super kingdom hearts fanboy:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
I'm not really sure why people have to pit these two games against each other. Whether people like FF7R's changes or not, it's certainly allowed for a lot of discussion and theory crafting which wouldn't be possible if it was a straight 1:1 remake.

Instead let's be happy Square are putting out banger FF's again one after another. FF7R got great reviews, FFXVI will get great reviews, and Rebirth looks promising as well. The glory years of Square are returning.

Last edited:

GreyHand23

I had to skip the last few cutscenes in the castle like Jesus christ this is a demo let me play the game I'm not here to watch all this stuff.
It’s the beginning of a very long narratively driven game. The cutscenes are there to establish that narrative. Like you said you can skip all cutscenes anyway, but most people playing this sort of game are also interested in the story.

SkylineRKR

Trash mobs die quickly and midboss are not really that spongy from what i played, people must play games on easy if they think these are spongy enemies.

You can kill really fast. Especially if you pop limit before stagger and use the R2 specials. You can cycle between powers in the extra battle demo and use their specials in rotation. I got over 20k I think. The Titan special hits hard if you release at the sweet spot. And I also like the titan shield perfect block.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Holy moly just finished the demo. My senses were completely overwhelmed. Hope the full game is as good as this.

Nautilus

Banned
You are a strange dude.

Ff16 2 hours demo is already better than those 6 hours milked into 40 with shitty pace, nympho jesse and bottom tier sidequests they call remake...

I don't like the part where they turned the game into a trilogy. Outside of that, yeah.

I love KH. In fact it is my favorite franchise. Not only I don't understand the criticism around its story(Its a good type of complex, though KH 3 was indeed underwhelming plotwise), but also because the story it tells is refreshing in a market where most games are "mature".

So yeah, loved the fact that FF 7 Remake is actually a sequel. The hybrid combat system is the perfect blend of Turn based and action, being true to FF while doing something new at the same time.

Just feel sad for you that you feel this way about FF7 Remake and KH(Which is one of the most successful Square IP), but that's your opinion. And opinion is like ass: Everyone has one.

solidus12

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You are a strange dude.

I gonna tell you something thats really gonna blow your mind…………………….I loved FFXVI, FFVIIR and Kingdom Hearts.

giphy.gif

SkylineRKR

I didn't like FFVII R, but I did enjoy the combat a lot. I had more fun with Hard mode since you need to use the correct setups and you can skip the rails sections etc. I also like KH3, I think its on Critical mode one of the best games on the PS4. But for the gameplay. I tend to skip cutscenes during FFVIIR and KH a lot of I just zone out.

This is the difference with FFXVI, which I don't zone out of. Its delivery is simply a few notches above.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Was Clive Ifrit? What just happened there???
I think whoever that hood guy was made him turn in to Ifrit and lose control, like when someone turns in to titan for the first time in Attack of Titan.

Last edited:

tommycronin

Gold Member
I don't ever skip cutscenes in games but when it comes to a demo A DEMO, I just wanted to see how the game felt to play and it doesn't play very well. So it was kind of annoying to get these long winded cutscenes and then snippets of gameplay that isn't really that good. Since when was final fantasy mash square button to win for 5-10 minutes on a boss? Even playing on performance it's very sluggish and I still don't know how to switch target lock to other enemies.

Also this seriously outdated level design doesn't sit well with me either. Being packed into these extremely tight spaces and then forced into small combat arenas and quick time events for opening doors and pushing your way into the next small area. I really thought we were passed this kind of thing. I really hope this is just a bad representation of the game. I really didn't like FF15 and the FF7R and had hoped this would be something completely different.

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
Finished it and did the extra Eikon challenge,
It’s a decent character action game, and while the aesthetics aren’t unique the graphics them selves are pretty good. I still think most of what I saw could have been pulled off on a PS4, but it doesn’t matter that much.

Final verdict after the demo is:
Wait for a sale.

Nothing here blew me away, and I certainly didn’t get a sense of wonder or fantasy. The setting is firmly medieval, and yes, while it’s been awhile since they’ve done this setting, the way they did it feels extremely by the numbers.

It’s got all the staples of a modern action game, switch modes with each of giving you a different setup, dodge timing and parry timing for increased defensive options. Melee and ranged attacks. Very by the books, but solid.

Hate the cutscene doors, press x to then hold R2… scrap this, utterly pointless.

Don’t know, something about it just feels rather hollow. In a couple years when it’s $20 I think I’ll be much happier to play it. $70 for this is a hard pass.

At least I’ll have Rebirth to look forward too

Last edited:
Top Bottom