• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Looks like the haters are much, much quieter since yesterday. That's definitely nice to see. Looking forward to seeing them fully silenced under the joy of the real fans when the game releases.

I love FF

If you're incapable to understand that a beloved franchise needs to evolve to thrive, no you do not. You love your personal, arbitrary concept of Final Fantasy, which is not the same thing as loving Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

buenoblue

I noticed this as well. Contrast is really poor in HDR, yes. Still, this demo feels so damned polished, and what an intro to the game. I'm going to push through the erratic fps in performance mode because I can tell the game is special.
Yeah I'm definitely gonna still play it just gonna wait. Got burned with Jedi survivor on PC cause I finished that on PC then it was patched so just gonna play some backlog and pick it up in August probably.

Teslerum

I agree. I hope they add other stuff in a more organic way. However, I think the Active Time Lore (this name reminds me if FFIX btw) is a neat idea.

I can't find another way to access thst info, though. I hope there's something like that in the full game.
There’s 2 NPC’s solely for lore. (One general, one keeps track of the political situation / events)

Also just because something has an ATL entry doesn’t mean its not going to be brought elsewhere in the game in more detail.

Spelling everything immediately out for the player is far from organic either. It can be nice to figure things out.☺️

Last edited:
I love FF7R and Rebirth looks great but there's this small part of me that would have loved to see CBU3 make FF7R. I just like their writing team way more. Everything feels more mature and complex.

Nautilus

Banned
Looks like the haters are much, much quieter since yesterday. That's definitely nice to see. Looking forward to seeing them fully silenced under the joy of the real fans when the game releases.

If you're incapable to understand that a beloved franchise needs to evolve to thrive, no you do not. You love your personal, arbitrary concept of Final Fantasy, which is not the same thing as loving Final Fantasy.
Evolving doesn't mean doing a 180 on everything FF stands for. FF 7 Remake was an evolution, that paid homage to the franchise and kept its core ideas (mostly) intact, but introduced new ideas. XVI is a new IP with a FF logo slapped on it.

That's why the fanbase is very vocal against it, and that's why there is so much pushback and controversy against it. The fans want FF to be FF again.

And for the fifth time, going action is not evolving, the same as being turn based isn't old school, Yakuza went from action to turn based, and nobody said it wasn't evolving. Turn based can evolve while still being turn based, and action based can evolve while still being action based.

AJUMP23

I would prefer a Turn based FF or a behind the scenes dice rolls that give you turned based. I though the combat changes made in FF7 remake were pretty cool, because you could do turn based combat or a modern style.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Evolving doesn't mean doing a 180 on everything FF stands for.

You obviously don't have the slightest idea of what FF stands for.

That's why the fanbase is very vocal against it,

You don't represent "the fanbase." The overwhelming majority of "the fanbase" is loving what they're playing, for very good reason. It takes real lack of self-awareness to believe you're not part of a very small grumpy minority that'll become even smaller when the game releases.

FF doesn't need "to be FF again." It already is, and considering that we've had FFXIV for the past 13 years, it never stopped being FF.

Last edited:

Porticus

Banned

You don't represent "the fanbase." The overwhelming majority of "the fanbase" is loving what they're playing, for very good reason. It takes real lack of self-awareness to believe you're not part of a very small grumpy minority that'll become even smaller when the game releases.

FF doesn't need "to be FF again." It already is, and considering that we've had FFXIV for the past 13 years, it never stopped being FF.

God you sounds like a selfentitled kid.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Its not my box to define it.

You had it right as far as here.

Who defined it was decades of FF games.

The past does not define the future. And that's something Hironobu Sakaguchi himself said.

God you sounds like a selfentitled kid.

Funny, that's pretty much the by-the-book definition of someone throwing tantrums because a video game franchise isn't doing what they personally want it to do.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I understand the button mash concerns. I put on the ring that lets you just tap square and execute complex combos. Combined with the ring that lets you dodge automatically and I just bashed square all the way through the prologue lol.

So you used the easy mode.

What part of having an optional easy mode is a "concern?"

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned

And you do? Or have you forgotten the pre order thread, which things clearly weren't in XVI favor? lol

Talk about arrogance.

You certainly has no idea what FF stands for. And its not even that I think this game is shit, its actually good, but this is clearly not a FF game.

At the end of the day, whoever decides what type of game the next FF game is, even if it has nothing to do with FF, is Square. And the most important metric they use will be the game sales. Then go vote with your wallet, and stop harrasing others just because you don't like what you are hearing.

Macaron

Banned
Mfers arguing what "FF stands for"

Just take the game for what it is instead of putting labels and expectations on it. Do this not just with FF, but EVERY franchise. Everything has the right to change, this discussion is silly.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I thought the demo was fucking excellent. Really can’t wait to get my hands on the whole game. Everything looked great too, supremely detailed characters, dense enviroments, huge fucking boss battles. It helps that the combat is very fun. The story is very good as well, im way invested and without spoiling anything, fuck THAT person, what a despicable character. Im also happy to see ff finally grow up? The characters speak and behave like adults, not anime teenagers. It’s really refreshing to see. I really think this could end up being the best one since 12. It definitely shits on 15 from a great height.
How long is it? Can you roam around after the progress ends?

Nautilus

Banned
You had it right as far as here.

The past does not define the future. And that's something Hironobu Sakaguchi himself said.

Funny, that's pretty much the by-the-book definition of someone throwing tantrums because a video game franchise isn't doing what they personally want it to do.
It does not define, but it shapes it.

GymWolf

It does annoy me when games hide difficulty levels behind completing the game on normal mode, which FF16 does. But I did read somewhere that not only does NG+ add a difficulty mode but it also allows you to keep all of your abilities, as well as enemies changing up their locations and attacks.

Also, the Eikon challenge in the demo has the player overpowered. Clive already has Garuda's Eikon ability before fighting her in the demo. And when the game opens up its widely explorable zones, Clive is free to fight anything no matter the level.

Clive is level 30 vs Atlas level 45 in this clip of an optional "hunt". The game can be much more challenging if you want it to be

I didn't played the eikon battle yet.

I get what you say, but i should not have to search for enemies 15 levels above mine or secret bosses to have a challenge in a long ass game, difficulty spikes in an otherwise easy game is not exactly what i was searching for, the game should always keep on your toes, not once every 10 hours or in rare occasion when you go out of your way to create an artificial challenge, the challenge should be more than just getting oneshotted because the enemy is several levels above mine.

Not sure if you get what i say.

Their harder mode is basically a new game plus where you keep your abilities and some changes to the world, nice but not enough to make me replay a game of this size a second time when you already know the plot, the bosses, the skills etc.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
And you do? Or have you forgotten the pre order thread, which things clearly weren't in XVI favor? lol

You're absolutely selective in your perception of public approval. The fact that a few irrational haters talk a lot does not make them a majority.

You certainly has no idea what FF stands for.

The people who decide what FF stands for are its creators. And they have decided.

Then go vote with your wallet, and stop harrasing others just because you don't like what you are hearing.

You're the one polluting every single thread about FFXVI with your angry negativity. Why don't you take your own advice, pipe down, and go vote with your wallet? 😏

It does not define, but it shapes it.

Funny to see that you believe you know better than the franchise's own creators.

Spoiler alert: you do not.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Lol, didn’t know it was easy mode, just saw some rings in my inventory and threw them on. Is this available from the start?

Yeah. There's a selection at the beginning that lets you decide between story mode and action mode (don't remember the exact definition). One has them equipped by default, the other has them only in the inventory. I believe the menu explains it. They're basically a configurable easy mode like the auto chips in NieR automata.

SkylineRKR

I thought the demo was fucking excellent. Really can’t wait to get my hands on the whole game. Everything looked great too, supremely detailed characters, dense enviroments, huge fucking boss battles. It helps that the combat is very fun. The story is very good as well, im way invested and without spoiling anything, fuck THAT person, what a despicable character. Im also happy to see ff finally grow up? The characters speak and behave like adults, not anime teenagers. It’s really refreshing to see. I really think this could end up being the best one since 12. It definitely shits on 15 from a great height.

FFXII sounded already grown up but this is next level, here they are saying stuff like Fuck. Which I think is a first in an FF game?

Just take the game for what it is instead of putting labels and expectations on it. Do this not just with FF, but EVERY franchise. Everything has the right to change, this discussion is silly.
I think it's funny because FF got it's start with this style of story. It wasn't always super futuristic like FF7 or FFXIII. Honestly the combat is the only thing that seems out of place but why complain about a good thing? It's incredibly fun and engaging.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
FFXII sounded already grown up but this is next level, here they are saying stuff like Fuck. Which I think is a first in an FF game?

They also have actual, realistic sexual desires (see the scene at the very beginning of the demo), which I've pretty much never seen in a JRPG before.

Last edited:

Outlier

Finished it last night.
It was great.

Pros:
1. Graphics are great, considering the scale.
2. The music is GREAT!
3. It's definitely for mature audiences, but they don't over do it.
4. Combat is the best FF has gotten.
5. The story seems very inspired by the medieval era events of the UK, Scandinavia, and presumably other European and Eastern/ middle eastern locations.

Cons:
1. Cutscenes linger too long , trying too hard to get the viewer to really feel what's happening, when I already get the point. I was uncomfortable watching many scenes, because of that.
2. Performance is so inconsistent and distracted from the experience, so I just switched to graphics mode. It got SO BAD during the Eikon fight.

Conclusion:
I wasn't expecting to like it, but it really grabbed me. Wasn't planning on getting launch either as I want to wait, but man do I want to get it.

Madflavor

Gold Member
This isn't a true Final Fantasy game. Final Fantasy is not medieval high fantasy. I mean sure FFI, FFII, FFIII, FFIV, FFV, FFIX, FFXI, FFXII, and FFXIV were medieval high fantasy, but that's not what true Final Fantasy is. It must also be turn based, and cater to what I think the series needs to be.

Excuse me, I don't care if Final Fantasy hasn't had classic turn based combat since the start of the Bush Administration. If it's not turn based, it's not Final Fantasy, end of story.

They also have actual, realistic sexual desires (see the scene at the very beginning of the demo), which I've pretty much never seen in a JRPG before.
Yeah a bit concerned with how far they will take the adult content of various sorts, I wanted to be able to play this in front of my child was surprised overall with what I saw.

CunningPlan

Neo Member
This prologue was everything I expected it to be and so much more! I can always remember how hyped I was for XV and the crushing disappointment about an hour into that game I put it down and never picked it up again... Could have maybe soldiered through if the combat was engaging. This game on the other hand WOW just wow. Haven't been this engaged with a game since the bombing mission on VII 25 odd years ago.

As an aside for all those complaining of frame rate issues etc. this demo is version 1.01 and the version seen in the PS SoP was version 1.03 so I expect them to be sorted on the release version.

This is a long 10 days ahead.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Yeah a bit concerned with how far they will take the adult content of various sorts, I wanted to be able to play this in front of my child was surprised overall with what I saw.

I doubt it'll get to the point of actual sex. But this is an M-rated game, you probably shouldn't play it in front of your children regardless. It's your choice of course.

SkylineRKR

True, it was the first part that I kinda caught as M-rated, next to the blatant smoking (its 2023). They did some stuff in FF before, but rather innocent, more juvenile than this.

Nautilus

Banned
You're absolutely selective in your perception of public approval. The fact that a few irrational haters talk a lot does not make them a majority.

The people who decide what FF stands for are its creators. And they have decided.

You're the one polluting every single thread about FFXVI with your angry negativity.

Funny to see that you believe you know better than the franchise's own creators.

Spoiler alert: you do not.
Finally, we agree on something. The fact that some irrational users here thinks XVI is a FF game doesn't make it one.

And you are the one who can't stand opposing views. In the other thread, the fans were just voicing their concerns over XVI not being a FF game and you harrashed thrm. All of them. Why? Because they wanted to discuss a game in a forum about discussing videogames.

Its not me that knows better than its creators, its the franchise's history that knows better than them.

I doubt it'll get to the point of actual sex. But this is an M-rated game, you probably shouldn't play it in front of your children regardless. It's your choice of course.
That is the impression I'm getting from the demo. Just a little saddening because I've got her into the earlier FF games and didn't expect it. Not that I'm against it or anything, she will just have to miss out for now!

The funny thing is that even the creators of the franchise have been years debating what "FF stands for".

But I'm pretty sure the "fanbase guys" inside this thread can illustrate us.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's not just that.

The queen and benedicta have a somehow "realistic" depiction of sex desire for their men, where trash like ff7 remake had that fucking nympho of jesse acting like an anime retard for the whole game.

The game doesn't even seems written by squaresoft (but i didn't played ff14)

The game manage to feel like a ff without feeling like a ff.

Last edited:

Gudji

I usually don't give a shit about FF but I'm loving this one, it's not due to the combat but instead due to the setting which is kinda more western looking I guess? Also I love how brutal and "mature" the game is so far.

DelireMan7

I agree. I hope they add other stuff in a more organic way. However, I think the Active Time Lore (this name reminds me if FFIX btw) is a neat idea.

I can't find another way to access thst info, though. I hope there's something like that in the full game.

Same for me, I couldn't find these infos outside of cutscenes. I also hope a "Archive" or something like that if already they put these infos during cutscenes.

SkylineRKR

It's not just that.

The queen and benedicta have a somehow "realistic" depiction of sex desire for their men, where trash like ff7 remake had that fucking nympho of jesse acting like an anime retard for the whole game.

Such scenes I call juvenile. This writing is on another level. The wife is wanting some with her husband and he denies her. She stops trying. Its not like she grabs him in an awkward anime way and says childish stuff.

FFXIV writing was pretty much like this too, its comparable though it starts to get good from Heavensward. FFXII too.

It's not just that.

The game manage to feel like a ff without feeling like a ff.
It's probably because FF7 is more anime like in general. I don't know why people pretend the OG FF7 was super serious. It's a game where Palmer was hit by a truck and Wedge was running around with his ass on fire. Game was goofy and playful. That's part of it's charm. They are doing two very different things.

As much as i'd love FF7 taken in a much more mature direction I think it'd be forgetting what made the original what it was. It was a lot of fun and didn't take itself too seriously.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Such scenes I call juvenile. This writing is on another level. The wife is wanting some with her husband and he denies her. She stops trying. Its not like she grabs him in an awkward anime way and says childish stuff.

FFXIV writing was pretty much like this too, its comparable though it starts to get good from Heavensward. FFXII too.
The game also has almost zero humor except for the cock scene.

NT80

Yeah I'm gonna pass for now after playing the demo. Performance was pretty bad and the game just doesn't look that great to me considering it's PS5 only. Really dark areas and no contrast to the image at all. By the end of the demo the story and combat did want me to play more but at £70 I'm just gonna wait for a few patches and a sale to like £40.
£70! I'm really interested in this game but I can see I'm going to be waiting a long time for it first to come to PC and then for the price to come down to something more reasonable.
Probably a good few years before I get to this although I do have a big backlog to get through in the meantime.

GymWolf

It's probably because FF7 is more anime like in general. I don't know why people pretend the OG FF7 was super serious. It's a game where Palmer was hit by a truck and Wedge was running around with his ass on fire. Game was goofy and playful. That's part of it's charm. They are doing two very different things.

As much as i'd love FF7 taken in a much more mature direction I think it'd be forgetting what made the original what it was. It was fun, not always so damn serious.
Sure ff7 had funny\strange moments but they really overdo with jesse in the remake.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

?? Which scene ?

I am not done yet with the demo. I am just when you control Joshua and haven't seen any sex scene, outside of the scene when the mother of Joshua try to get her husband in bed.

The very beginning is the Phoenix/Ifrit fight. Did I miss something ?

StueyDuck

So I finally have gotten around to the demo and I'm fucking sold.

We haven't had a truly epic game like this in a long time. The combat is great, the visuals are incredible and at times its actually quite jaw dropping. But it can't be understated how epic this game is and I mean that in the literal sense. The story and world and set pieces are all so grand and massive, it really feels like you are going to get swallowed up in all of it.

Also I'm fighting between 30/60 they both work well but have their downfalls. 60 is narrowly edging it out. Wish they had the 120/40hz mode most Sony first parties do

StueyDuck

?? Which scene ?

I am not done yet with the demo. I am just when you control Joshua and haven't seen any sex scene, outside of the scene when the mother of Joshua try to get her husband in bed.

The very beginning is the Phoenix/Ifrit fight. Did I miss something ?
The big dude bangs the chick in the beginning. It's not gratuitous but they clearly fucking

DelireMan7

Ok I just watch a stream quickly and during the Tutorial that tells you about Active Time Lore, it's written all the lore entries will be accessible later in the game :)

Top Bottom